Time "and" Date for data points

I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
date and time to display in the chart.

My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
the bottom of the chart).

Is there a work around for this.  I've tried different date/time cell
formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
display in the chart.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.  Diana
0
Cowtoon (33)

Cowtoon wrote:
> I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
> date and time to display in the chart.
>
> My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
> useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
> the bottom of the chart).
>
> Is there a work around for this.  I've tried different date/time cell
> formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
> display in the chart.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Thanks for any help.  Diana

What sort of graph is it ?

Try formatting the graph's x axis as "hh:mm dd-mmm-yyyy" or something
like that and it should show.
Thanks for that, coj.  I was looking for how to format using exact that (or a
variation on the same theme).  Now ... here's a wierd question.  In Excel,
there used to be a place to enter a "custom" date/time format, but I can't
find it in this version.  Did it get moved.

To answer your question ... it's a line graph with two sets of data plotted
against date-time.
Thanks for your response.
Diana

"coj" wrote:

> Cowtoon wrote:
> > I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
> > date and time to display in the chart.
> >
> > My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
> > useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
> > the bottom of the chart).
> >
> > Is there a work around for this.  I've tried different date/time cell
> > formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
> > display in the chart.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.  Diana
>
> What sort of graph is it ?
>
> Try formatting the graph's x axis as "hh:mm dd-mmm-yyyy" or something
> like that and it should show.

0
Cowtoon (33)
2/26/2005 12:13:03 AM
Cowtoon wrote:
> Thanks for that, coj.  I was looking for how to format using exact that (or a
> variation on the same theme).  Now ... here's a wierd question.  In Excel,
> there used to be a place to enter a "custom" date/time format, but I can't
> find it in this version.  Did it get moved.
>
> To answer your question ... it's a line graph with two sets of data plotted
> against date-time.
> Thanks for your response.
> Diana

I don't know why Excel does this but it sometimes tries to put dates and
times as just dates in the graph if the sheet's data is formatted as
datetime.

I've got round this in the past by reformatting the date/time in the
sheet as general, then formatting the graph as "hh:mm dd-mmm-yy"

Custom formattings are at the bottom of the number category in the
format axis on Excel 2000 and 2003 I think
If you have anything other than a XY Scatter chart, XL has probably set
your x-axis type to 'Time scale'.  Unfortunately, that is bad choice of
a name because it is only a 'date scale'.  The only alternative is to
set the type to 'Category' (select the chart then Chart | Chart
Options... | Axes tab).  Unfortunately, that will mean all your data
points will be equally spaced along the x-axis.

If you are using a line chart, change your chart type to a XY Scatter
chart (sub type: the kind that has a connecting line between the
points).

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <3F4289EC-71C6-4B33-8CCB-034348A3738A@microsoft.com>,
Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both
> date and time to display in the chart.
>
> My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is
> useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across
> the bottom of the chart).
>
> Is there a work around for this.  I've tried different date/time cell
> formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same
> display in the chart.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Thanks for any help.  Diana

SumProduct with date and time
I have finally found that with my formulas the calulations are based on the time. Can someone help me find the best way to correct this without using macros to strip the time out of the data. Bob 09/08/2007 01:05 13/08/2007 00:00 Bob Bill 10/08/2007 23:39 Bill Kyle 11/08/2007 07:36 Kyle Bob 16/07/2007 20:39 Bill 27/07/2007 19:59 Kyle 18/07/2007 16:51 Bob 14/07/2007 16:31 Bill 21/06/2007 16:46 Kyle 30/06/2007 16:55 Bob 12/06/2007 01:05 Bill 13/06/2007 23:39 1 2 0 1 1 Kyle 14/06/2007 07:36 1 1 1 1 1 Bob 12/01/2007 20:39 1 1 2 0 1 Bill 13/08/2006 19:59 Kyle 14/05/1999 16:51 These are t...

Using Data Import with URLs and Pointers
Would it be possible for me to generate a URL with a pointer, and then importing data from that URL which was just created from using pointers? For example, in column A, I'd like stock symbols. In column B, I'd like the website address to be a function of what's in column A. Column C should be a data import of data from that website. A Stock Symbol B URL Address C Revenue AAPL =concatenate("http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ is?s=",a2,"+Income+Statement&annual") $65,225,000 MSFT =concatenate("http...

Combine cells and insert date.
I have a formula in which i am combining text from various cells. =CONCATENATE(G3,G4,G8,G9,G10,G11,G12) In this case, one cell (G9) contains the date formula =TODAY(). What I am getting from G9 is 39023. What I need is the actual value 11/02/2006 from the results of the formula (will change cell format to get actual yyyyddmm format) Any advice? =G3&G4&G8&TEXT(G9,"mm/dd/yyyy")&G10&G11&G12 Bob Umlas Excel MVP "J.W. Aldridge" <jeremy.w.aldridge@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162495454.915087.89510@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I have...

How do I fix error " 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA"
How do I fix this please ? Doesa anyone have a down load ? CliveHyman, you wrote on Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:54:02 -0700: > How do I fix this please ? http://tinyurl.com/je666 -- Best Regards Christian Goeller ...

oulokk calander items time changes on send/receive
I have connected outlook 2003 with my hotmail account. When I change the timing of an existing appointment (e.g. 26 May 2010 old time 1600 hrs, new time 1700 hrs) in the Outlook 2003 calendar and press send/receive (F9), the new time moves back to 12 hrs and the same appointment is now displayed in 26 May 2010 but at 0500 hrs. ...

Formulas stop calculating at random times when editing a few spreadsheets.
Greetings, There are few spreadsheets that one of my users works on that have a rather odd error. One in particular is filled with simple addition/subtraction formulas. Quantity/Net Price/Total Price type fields. He uses the spreadsheet daily and is constantly cutting and pasting into and out of it.. so it functions sort of like a calculator. Sometimes he will be cutting and pasting into a field, say the quantity field, but the other fields wont update. I've already reinstalled office 2000, re-applied all service packs/updates both to office and windows, and actually rebuilt his entire ...

Command to update data from one sheet to another
Is there a command to update data from one sheet to another when both sheets are located in two different places? I have a workbook that needs to be updated every three hours; the data is located in a work book in another drive. I was wondering if is even possible to create a button that when pressed updates the data automatically. I'm currently using office 2007. -- Regards YM you can create a button that will open the file on the other drive. Set your settings to update links and you should be ok. "Yitzhack" wrote: > Is there a command to update data from one...

External Data Source and Adjacent Column / Data
I have a worksheet that gets it's data from an external data source. On that same worksheet, the 2 columns immediately to the right of that dataset are for "Notes" and a date. My goal is that someone can put notes in that column and it "binds" itself to that line of data, such that if the data moves to a different row in the excel worksheet (because of other data changes or whatever), that note stays with it. And if that line of data is removed from the dataset, a refresh would also remove the note. Instead, data in "Note" is binding to the row number...

unable to send emails, " 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
I am having difficulty sending emails, with or with out attachments, and to different people, i can not understand why, error 503 keeps coming up, this is a server error. Does it only happen to certain addresses? do you have more than one account? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cent...

Format serial date and time
I have been trying to format a serial date to the format yyyy/mm/dd 00;00 am An example of the text is 200501090932. The time is in military time. I have tried the text ot columns but my string is too long. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The serial date in EXCEL for the string you gave is 38361.40. I converted it using the following equation =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MONTH(MID(A1,5,2)),DAY(MID(A1,7,2)))+TIME(MID(A1,9,2),MID(A1,11,2),) where A1 contained the value 200501090932. "Cedric" <Cedric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF50FE3A-17F7-4DE4-82EA-F4FD3...

Secondary DPM and failing recovery point creation
Hi, I setup a secondary DPM server and testing it. For some reason I cant get the daily jobs to finish without failing for one PG. I setup 2 PGs, one for SQL/Sharepoint/Exchange syncing at 10AM, and one for the server C/D/E drives and SystemStates syncing at 11AM. The server's PG job's has been faling daily with below error: "No recovery point was created, either because synchronization has not occurred since the last recovery point was created, or because no changes were found during synchronization. (ID 208)" What would cause this? Thanks... Have th...

VBA and researching data thru 20.000 records
Hi, I have 2 sheets with several fields. on sheet1, i have new data and on sheet2 i have old data. i would like to update 2 fields of sheet1 with data from sheet2. for that i want to compare 3 fields, let's say C, D, E. if C, D, E are equal on sheet1 and sheet2, so i want to copy data from fields A and B (from sheet2) to fields A and B of sheet1. for now i use selection.autofilter ..... on the 3 fields to compare, but with my 20,000 records, it's really slow (on 3.1 Ghz CPU and 1 Ghz ram). So i would like to know if exists another way how to do it and for sure faster ? thanka ...

Automatically enter data based or start and finish times
Im trying to automatically enter values based on start and finish time of staff shifts. In column B I have staff names and in column g I have the shift star times and in column h I have shift end times. From column i I have al 24 hours, from 00:00, in half hour intervals. If the staff membe starts at 08:00 and finishes at 16:00, I want to enter a value of 1 i the column with 08:00 in it and continue to do so until the column wit 16:00 in it. Then at 16:30 column, I want a zero. I have tried this formula =IF((AND($G5>I$3,$H5>I$3)),1,0), which only works for some of th shifts. Any i...

Combining text and date in one column
I have a very old spreadsheet originally created in Macintosh Works that has entries of either dates (mm/dd/yyyy), years (1986), or text in the cells. If I format the column to text, then my dates turn into numbers. If I format it to dates, then my numbers turn into incorrect dates. I can format and fix the original information, but how can I format the column for future entries? Thank you for the info. I understand how Excel can show the data in a date field if it's not a date and how it shows data in a text field if it is a date. The problem is that the original information i...

Query works-Export fails "...you and another user are attempting to change the same data..."
Can't figure this out. I am the only user in the database. The file (RealProperty) can be queried using a select query that includes just the fields in the table. I get the above error, however, if I try to export the resulting table/query in any of the following fashions: mdb (in a new db designed to store this one table) ..xls (get the same error) ..csv (get the same error) If it simply try to copy the results, I get the same error. I have checked: there are no dependencies that are missing; there was an export errors table, but the three records that had data issues have been fixed....

Using a command button to open an image based on field data
Hello. I have a form with a command button on it. This form is linked to a query with a field called "ID". What I am trying to do is make it so that when the user clicks on the command button, a separate form (frm_Image)pops up with the corresponding picture to field ID. I have the images in a folder on my C: drive. Any help on this is most appreciated. I'm going to do a little experimenting now.... Check out openargs in the VB help section. HTH Damon <rsfishel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174046910.691059.94060@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hello. I ...

line chart plots false value and the real value on same date
I have encountered a strange 'fault' on my line chart; on just three adjacent dates, the value that is plotted is double: one real value, and the second a phantom value (Not even existing in the data!), with the result that the line 'spikes' up and down on these three days, and continues with the correct data. Help please!! ...

Different Reorder/Restock points for Store and HQ?
Can I have different Reorder/Restock points for the same items at different locations? I'm planning on using the Transfer in feature at the stores, bringing items in from HQ (warehouse), rather Purchase Orders. Then do Purchase Orders from HQ to replenish the warehouse, but I have different stocking quantity requirements at HQ then I do at the store. Is this possible? Thanks, Johan Hi Johan - yes, you can define different reorder/restock points for the same item at different locations; in HQ use worksheet style 308 Change Item Restocking Info...the worksheet allows you to sele...

URGENT
I just suffered a hardware failure and hard to reinstall Windows. I use RAID, so my data was mirrored. No data was lost, but I can't seem to figure out where outlook 2003 keeps its data so that I can reinstall office and import my outlook calendar in to the new install. Where can I find this? Thanks! do a search for *.PST Frank >-----Original Message----- >I just suffered a hardware failure and hard to reinstall Windows. I >use RAID, so my data was mirrored. No data was lost, but I can't seem >to figure out where outlook 2003 keeps its data so that I can >rein...

Word font size difference between Times New Roman and Arial
There seems to be a significant difference between the actual character size of Times New Roman characters and Arial characters when they are both set to the same font "size" (e.g. 12 pt.) My understanding of "points" is that they fix the actual size of a character, so why does the size change when I change font face? Font size is determined by the distance from the bottom of descenders to the top of ascenders. Some fonts have a larger "x-height," which is the height of the lowercase letters (not counting ascenders and descenders), making them app...

Removal of thousands seperator in downloaded data
I have downloaded data with an open space as thousands seperator, an example is a number like 2 098,67. Excel will not recognize this as a number. How can I remove this thousands seperator so that the number becomes 2098,67? I need to do this to use the data in another program. See other post. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "finney78" <finney78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE4BBB3-12AB-4DDD-AD0A-F88ADD242B73@microsoft.com... > I have downloaded data with an open space as thousands seperator, an example >...

Report Timed out and communication error
Hi All, Has anybody encounter timed out or coummunication error when printing Case report? We hav a problem when previewing some cases report. i suspect it might due to the data volume. i notice that the page server sometime cause the memory over shoot. i oso add maxDBResultRecords 0 in the start up command for Page Server. but problem still occurs. any advice? Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict ...

Buy X (at different times) and Get Y free
Does anyone know a way to set up a free purchase after the purchase of x amount over time? For example: In my store, I developed a card which allows the 13th purchase of a dozen crickets to be free after the purchase of 12 dozen. However, the 12 dozen are purchased at different times. We punch the card for every dozen purchased. When the 12 dozen have been punched, the next dozen is free and the card is kept by the store. I would like to have the system track the cricket dozens purchased by customer and know to provide the 13th free and get rid of the card system. Retail Realm of...

Time Question filtering out weekends and mondays
Im using the following expression in a query to find the average time elapsed between the time a case started to the time it ended. the problem is cases are not worked on saturday, sunday or monday. For our business we want to use an elapsed time that would not count those three days as time. For example if a case is started friday at 8am and finished the immediate wednesday at 9am that should be 49 hours instead of 121 hours. Actual Start Actual End Elapsed: Avg((DateDiff("n",[Actual Start Date],[Actual End Date])/60)) Thanks for your help. On Dec 13, 3:19 pm, Qaspec <Q...

Lookup Function and Changing Data Sets
I have a single database that is queried using the LOOKUP funtion. Thi function is propogated on about 30 worksheets throughout the workbook. Unfortunately the database is not static and will gain incremental dat overtime. Is there an easy way to change the array in my LOOKUP function (t accomodate the additional data) and have it automatically updated i all the funtions throughout the workbook? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com create a defined name for the lookup table such as insert>name>define>name it whatever>in the refers to =offset($a$2,0,0,count...