Survival distribution function chart

Is anyone familiar with the Kaplan-Meier estimator, and if there is a
way I can get excel to draw a traditional survivior curve?  The charts
on this page http://www.xlstat.com/demoKM.xls are the style that I
would like to produce.  However, these appear to have been produced
using an add-on called XLstat Pro.  I am attempting to produce a
spreadsheet to analyse various statistical models which are all reliant
on producing a survivor curve in this style.  Any help anyone could
offer me would be gratefully received as I have spent days trying and
can not find a way of doing this.

--
max0d
max0d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16920

If you know the formulas for the values (I didn't download the Excel workbook), you
can set up a helper column with the transformed values you need to plot to make the
chart look right. This example might help you step out of the box; it's a
probability chart, in which I've used Excel's statistics functions to compute the Y
values for the chart, and a fake axis to display the corresponding probabilities
along the Y axis:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

max0d wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with the Kaplan-Meier estimator, and if there is a
> way I can get excel to draw a traditional survivior curve?  The charts
> on this page http://www.xlstat.com/demoKM.xls are the style that I
> would like to produce.  However, these appear to have been produced
> using an add-on called XLstat Pro.  I am attempting to produce a
> spreadsheet to analyse various statistical models which are all reliant
> on producing a survivor curve in this style.  Any help anyone could
> offer me would be gratefully received as I have spent days trying and
> can not find a way of doing this.

Reverse chart column and row order
I'm running Office 2007 and all my charts are showing up in reverse order: I want a bar graph that looks like this: Series 1 -------------------------------->Column 1 Series 1 ------------------------->Column 2 Series 1 ------------------------------------->Column 3 Series 2 -------------------------------------->Column 1 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 What I'm getting is: Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2---------------------->Column 1 D3M ----------...

Text box disappears on chart
I added a text box to a chart and when I click off of it, the text box disappears (goes behind the chart). I have tried Bring to Front and Bring Forward, and it may or may not stay visible and print. I have clicked on the frame of the text box (it changes pattern) and tried Bring to Front - same problem. Any ideas? Carole O The text box is on the worksheet, not the chart. To fix the problem, Select the text box, and choose Edit>Cut Select the chart (you'll see handles on its corners and sides) Choose Edit>Paste, to paste the text box onto the chart. Click away from the char...

is there a "File name" function in ms Excel (2002)
Hi Anyone know of any msExcel function that will give the name of the current file? To be honest I want if for printout purposes because I am trying to avoid the custom header etc (which seems difficult/impossible to format) Shiphen Shiperton Henethe One way =LEFT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),FIND(".", MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255))+3) can be put in any cell if you want the full path =SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",...

Chart numbers from multiple sheets
Is Excel 2002 capable of creating a chart based on numbers from multiple sheets in a workbook? Addressed in your other thread. Regards, Leni -- LeninVM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LeninVMS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31954 ...

Bubble Charts Colours go wrong
Hi, I have some bubble charts which are maintained by a VB script i wrote. The script sets up a data series based on a table with custom labels, sizes and colours for each bubble. I've now come across a problem that despite my macro setting the colour of the bubbles correctly and even the sample colour box in >format data series> patterns showing the colour i want, the bubble does not. please help! Darren. You don't show the code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 E...

Problems with Excel functions
I have a problem with the excel funtions. The problem is that when write a funtion as for example : = Replace(E2,12,16," ") what is displayed in the cell is the funtion that i wrote and not the result. I have been having this problem and i do not know if it's a setting on my program. Please help me on.....is URGENT... I need Excel working .... Thanks in advance Your cell was formatted as text before entering the function. Format as General and re-enter (F2, Enter) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "RITRAM" <RITRAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Exchange 5.5 Distribution Lists
I am running in Exchange 5.5/2000 mixed mode and I have noticed that if I change ownership of a distribution list using Exchange Admin, the permissions of that object are not automatically updated (I have to manually give the "owner" the permission needed to add members to the list). Is this some old Exchange 5.5 thing??? ...

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

delegates permission using a distribution list
I am having problems with permissions on delegates in Outlook. I have a distribution list which has editor rights in a users calendar. When I try and access the calendar it doesn't work. When I go back into the delegates properties again the permission has gone back to NONE. It does however work fine on some clients. Outlook 2000 is being used and Exchange 2003. Convert the DL to a security group. "Gareth Hutchins" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29a401c4ad33$4bb88de0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am having problems with permissions on d...

Unevenly spaced x axis on chart
Hi Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the particular date. For example, the columns may be: Date Days from Start Measurement 02/12/09 1 120 06/12/09 5 134 09/12/09 8 118 18/12/09 17 109 etc. I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days which I can do - BUT... I would like the x axis (days from start) to be spaced according to the number of days, which as you can see from the above are not evenly spaced. In other words, if there have been several days between measurements, I...

Removing gris effect in a chart
Hello all! I created a contour chart in Excel 2007. But there is a grid effect on the chart. Is it possible to remove it, and how? Thanks a lot! Hi, Select the legend and then select a legend entry. CTRL+1 to display the format dialog. The dialog should show Format Band in its title. Select Border colour and set it to No Line. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Olivier" <Olivier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8942BA16-4F43-4983-8057-0FECA1FC1711@microsoft.com... > Hello all! > > I created a contour ch...

created chart will not display
I tried to create a 3D pie chart within a spreadsheet. After highlighting the data that I wanted in the chart , the only thing that shows up is the chart title. The pie chart itself is no where to be found. Please advise Thanks,Belinda That probably means that Excel thinks your data are not numeric. If the values you are plotting are in, say, B2:B5, in some empty column, say C, starting with C2, enter =ISNUMBER(B2) and copy down to C3:C5. What do you get? -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 d...

Charts for Social Work
Need help in creating 2 charts. Not sure if it�s possible in Excel. Hopefully I�ll give enough details. Chart #1 Y-axis: Range is 35 to 5, where the 35 is a minimum value at the botto of the chart. X-axis: There are actually three categories, but it is not a Bar Chart per se. Category Names(should appear at the top of the chart, not as an axi label): Baseline, Intervention, and Follow-up (The X-axis should hav gaps, so each category is separated; there actually should be no axi label) The Y-axis represents a score between 5 and 35. The score for th Baseline is 22 and is supposed to be re...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...

Cannot change criteria on copied chart without changing original c
I have a chart that I created from a pivot table. Instead of creating 40 plus charts individually, I tried to copy the original chart and change the location for each chart. When I change the facility location for one chart it changes all others. How can I get around this? Steve You'll need to make independent pivot tables for each chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services 774-275-0064 208-485-0691 fax jon@peltiertech.com http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FF39D...

scroll bar missing in charts
I don't know how I managed to do it, but I have locked my charts into being viewed as "fit to window." I have no scroll bars. I checked to make sure the Tools/Options/View horizonal and vertical scrollbars were checked, and Tools/Options/Chart, and unchecked "chart sizes with window frame." Nothing happened, and when I reopened the Tools/Options/Chart, the box was re- checked! I can't uncheck "fit to window" in the view mode, and I can't click on zoom. Please HELP!!! You haven't by any chance just hit View / FullScreen have you, in whi...

Create an auto chart using macro
Hi all, I would like automatically generate a Gantt style graph though use of a Macro and a little button. I have the following data Task description Start date End date % completed % remaining. Does anyone have some code that I can just use? Haha, I think it's going to be a little more complex then you think it's going to be. Start here: http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/excel-gantt-chart.html You should probably get acquainted with that. There's a video there too. May be a good learning experience, but I think you already know a bit about G...

Wild Characters in "IF" function
I've seen in this forum that someone already asked the question bu there was no answer... I'm also unable to use the wild character (*) in my IF function - want the formula to return $51.44 and $25.31 amounts in column D i "EXON" chain is encountered in cells of column B. My statement look like this: =IF(B4="EXXON*",C4,0) but it doesn't work... Calumn A Column B Column C Column D 10/29/2005 HEINIE'S MARKET $12.28 10/30/2005 VAIL PASS SALES 0374 $198.00 10/29/2005 EINSTEIN BROS #1793 $...

Sort Pivot Chart
In Excel 2000, is there a way to sort a pivot chart by the summed data? Thanks. Hi, Do you mean that you want to X axis to be sorted in some sort of order? In general if you want to display data on a pivot chart as sorted you sort the pivot table. So to be of any real help we need more detail. What do you want to sort? Are they row fields, column fields, data fields? How do you want them to sort? How are the fields layed out on the pivot table? -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Alex" wrote: > In Excel 2000, is there a way to sort a pivot chart by the summed data? &...

Showing Grand Totals in Pivot Charts
I have created a pivot table which contains a Grand Total column. This grand total column displays the sum of the counts for all the columns correctly. This number does not seem to be available to me when I generate a pivot chart. How can I make the grand total from the pivot table display in the pivot chart? Hi Nikki - Unfortunately pivot charts aren't as flexible as regular charts. But you can make a regular chart from pivot table data. Select a blank cell that isn't near the pivot table. In step 2, click on the Series tab, then one by one add the series and the data range ...

Charts/graphs on Access forms and reports
I have been given a project where I have to create a chart on a form and duplicate it on a report. There are three dates that are sequential that need to be charted for each item. So each "row" on the chart will show a triangle for the start date of each step in the process. However, each date has an estimated and actual date. I need to draw a line between the actual and estimated for each date, with a space before the next estimated and actual. e.g. (where # would be the triangle) Task F F M A M J J A S O N D TASK ONE #------...

"IF" Function, excel not recognising my numbers
I just made a simple formula for excel to find a value of a number that has a bracket attached, then if the value is greater than 50, it will replace the cells value with 50. This is what I put in the function IF LEFT(W1,LEN(W1)-1)>"50" = TRUE 50 LEFT(W1,LEN(W1)-1) 12.0603} I get 12.0603 7.007} I get 50 (Why?) 6.4142} I get 50 ? 26.7647} I get 26.7647 correct 34.2744}I get 34.2744 correct 2.0283} I get 2.0283 correct 27.5844} i get 27.5844 correct 76.44} I get 50 correct 73.5583} I get 50 correct etc etc Can anyone see why it would be doing this? Even if i take out all the ...

Charting table data beginning with zero
I have a large mailling list table in Word. I am trying to convert it to Access, but have had trouble with importing the data - a lot is corrupted in the translation. A friend suggested pasting it into Excel first and then converting. This seems to work very well except for the Postal Code column. When the postal codes begin with zero, Excel is dropping the zero in the pasting operation and will not accept it even if I manually record it. I tried going into tools>options>error checking>text to numbers (both on and off) but this doesn't seem to help. Any help is tre...

irritating warning for negative data on log charts
I know perfectly well that I can't plot negative values on a log chart. That doesn't mean that my data doesn't have negative numbers in it. Is there any way that anybody knows to disable this irritating message? My productivity drops 100% because every time I scroll around in a sheet that happens to have a negative number on a log chart somewhere, this irritating dialog pops up. I don't want to have to build my own log charts that ignore negative numbers (I could, but what's the point of a built-in log chart if you can't use it). I don't want to have to w...

how can create stacked column chart join with line
Dear I am trying to create stacked chart which data point join with line but I am unable to create. Pls some one help me. thanks Hi, In xl2003, create your stacked column chart and then double click one of the series. On the Series option tab select Series Lines. In xl2007, create your stacked column chart and then apply series lines via Chart Tools > Layout > Analysis > Lines > Series Lines If these are not the sort of lines you mean you need to provide more information. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info <cdac.anand@gmail.com&g...