Sub-categories on the X axis

I am trying to graph data from various schools and want to display data from
2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05 and so on with the school name under that range of
dates.  I only want the school name to appear once.  The data adjacent to
those dates had the school name repeated for each year but when I merge the
repeated school names into one field the chart now show only one school name
but it is directly under the first data point.  I want it to be centered
under the dates associated with that particular school.
Thanks for your help.

What version of Excel? In 97 the behavior was as you describe (if I
understand it) but in 2000, 2002, and 2003 (and I believe 2007) the single
label is centered below the included categories.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"PBISMaryland" <PBISMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to graph data from various schools and want to display data
>from
> 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05 and so on with the school name under that range
> of
> dates.  I only want the school name to appear once.  The data adjacent to
> those dates had the school name repeated for each year but when I merge
> the
> repeated school names into one field the chart now show only one school
> name
> but it is directly under the first data point.  I want it to be centered
> under the dates associated with that particular school.
> Thanks for your help.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/4/2007 4:30:38 PM
Hi Jon.

I am using 2003 but the school name repeats under each school year and I do
not want that.
Thanks.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> What version of Excel? In 97 the behavior was as you describe (if I
> understand it) but in 2000, 2002, and 2003 (and I believe 2007) the single
> label is centered below the included categories.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "PBISMaryland" <PBISMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to graph data from various schools and want to display data
> >from
> > 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05 and so on with the school name under that range
> > of
> > dates.  I only want the school name to appear once.  The data adjacent to
> > those dates had the school name repeated for each year but when I merge
> > the
> > repeated school names into one field the chart now show only one school
> > name
> > but it is directly under the first data point.  I want it to be centered
> > under the dates associated with that particular school.
> > Thanks for your help.

Set up the data like this. Any cells that look blank are really blank (no
formulas returning "" or anything, they are cleared out).

                Value
Umass  2002-03    2
       2003-04    3
       2004-05    4
       2005-06    5
Uconn  2002-03    6
       2003-04    7
       2004-05    8
       2005-06    9
URI    2002-03   10
       2003-04   11
       2004-05   12
       2005-06   13

Select this range and create a chart. The school will be centered beneath
the range of years.

- Jon
-------

> Hi Jon.
>
> I am using 2003 but the school name repeats under each school year and I
> do
> not want that.
> Thanks.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> What version of Excel? In 97 the behavior was as you describe (if I
>> understand it) but in 2000, 2002, and 2003 (and I believe 2007) the
>> single
>> label is centered below the included categories.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "PBISMaryland" <PBISMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to graph data from various schools and want to display data
>> >from
>> > 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05 and so on with the school name under that
>> > range
>> > of
>> > dates.  I only want the school name to appear once.  The data adjacent
>> > those dates had the school name repeated for each year but when I merge
>> > the
>> > repeated school names into one field the chart now show only one school
>> > name
>> > but it is directly under the first data point.  I want it to be
>> > centered
>> > under the dates associated with that particular school.
>> > Thanks for your help.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/10/2007 7:11:27 PM
That did it.  I feel silly that I didn't figure that out but that's why there
are people like you.

Thanks again.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Set up the data like this. Any cells that look blank are really blank (no
> formulas returning "" or anything, they are cleared out).
>
>                 Value
> Umass  2002-03    2
>        2003-04    3
>        2004-05    4
>        2005-06    5
> Uconn  2002-03    6
>        2003-04    7
>        2004-05    8
>        2005-06    9
> URI    2002-03   10
>        2003-04   11
>        2004-05   12
>        2005-06   13
>
> Select this range and create a chart. The school will be centered beneath
> the range of years.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "PBISMaryland" <PBISMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Jon.
> >
> > I am using 2003 but the school name repeats under each school year and I
> > do
> > not want that.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> What version of Excel? In 97 the behavior was as you describe (if I
> >> understand it) but in 2000, 2002, and 2003 (and I believe 2007) the
> >> single
> >> label is centered below the included categories.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "PBISMaryland" <PBISMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Everything's easy, when you know how.

- Jon
-------

> That did it.  I feel silly that I didn't figure that out but that's why
> there
> are people like you.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Set up the data like this. Any cells that look blank are really blank (no
>> formulas returning "" or anything, they are cleared out).
>>
>>                 Value
>> Umass  2002-03    2
>>        2003-04    3
>>        2004-05    4
>>        2005-06    5
>> Uconn  2002-03    6
>>        2003-04    7
>>        2004-05    8
>>        2005-06    9
>> URI    2002-03   10
>>        2003-04   11
>>        2004-05   12
>>        2005-06   13
>>
>> Select this range and create a chart. The school will be centered beneath
>> the range of years.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "PBISMaryland" <PBISMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Jon.
>> >
>> > I am using 2003 but the school name repeats under each school year and
>> > do
>> > not want that.
>> > Thanks.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Print Memo instead of Category?
I'm trying out Money2004, and don't need to use the pre-programmed categories. I just want to add a specific memo note to each credit card or check entry. But when I print, it doesn't seem to print Memos. Just categories. Is there some way I can get it to print the Memo and not the Category? In microsoft.public.money, Terry Wise wrote: >I'm trying out Money2004, and don't need to use the pre-programmed >categories. I just want to add a specific memo note to each credit card or >check entry. But when I print, it doesn't seem to print Memos. Just >ca...

Where is Active X "Enable"?
WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8 When I try to download a program from a website I often get the message to click on the yellow bar. I am on my sixth computer and have never seen a yellow bar. There is a dialog bar telling me to click "here" because the site is trying to download a file. I click and the process starts but soon a new message says it cannot download the file. I have tried to locate where to enable Active X but "Help" and "Search" don't give me any information. I was told to try clicking on the Explorer icon "Properties" where t...

How do I make the Y axis in an excel chart the category axis?
I would like to create a scatter chart where the x axis is the value axis and the y axis is the category axis, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch the two. Jon's site will tell you how to do so . . . http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#SwitchXY ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "megnadoodle" wrote: > I would like to create a scatter chart where the x axis is the value axis and > the y axis is the category axis, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch > the two. Hi, If you want the Y axis to be a category...

How to average where 1 cell = x
Howdy, Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem. I have a list of data, and I need to find averages for each month. Is there any function I can use that would effectively calculate: where [column A] = x, then average column B values that correspond to x in column A? Thanks in advance, Ian Depending on how your worksheet is set up, you may wantto try Sorting by your Month Column and then using the Subtotals feature located in the Data menu. tj "Ian" wrote: > Howdy, > Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem. > > I have a list of data, an...

Quick Categories in Outlook 2007
Does anyone know how to get rid of Quick Categories for Outlook 2007 Tasks, but still keep the category name listed? I find the color-coded boxes annoying to look at, and god help you if you accidentally click on one, it deletes your category setting for that task. I liked the old way of creating new tasks by click on the task category, typing in the category name, hitting TAB and typing the Subject. Now you have to double-click the category to get a new Task form, type in the name, then select what color coded category you want, then hit save. Don't Microsoft programmers have an...

Control Form form a Sub Form
How do I activate a command button on the main form when I double click on the sub form? "TonyAntique" <u59027@uwe> wrote in message news:a5a6118d13dbf@uwe... > How do I activate a command button on the main form when I double click > on the sub form? The code would be like this: Me.Parent!Command99.Enabled = True But you'll need to define "double-click on the subform" more precisely. It's probably the dblClick event of the subform's Detail section you want to use. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia T...

Mismatched categories
I use a nearby walgreens as a "corner store" but never for medication. However, everytime i enter "walgreens" as a payee (usually as a downloaded statement) i always get walgreens assigned as "healthcare". Since i use it always as "personal care", i have to click an reassign the category every time walgreens come up. Is there a way for me to permanently assign "walgreens" into the "personal care" category instead of the "healthcare" category? Are you reassigning the category before or after you accept? Change the c...

I'm using Outlook 2000 and was wondering if it is possible to mark a message as read after it has been clicked on for x # of seconds? I read all of my emails at the bottm of the split window not by opening them??? I'm not 100% sure since it's been a while since I used OL2000 but see if the options are here: Tools menu > Options > Other tab > Click Preview Pane "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message news:%23KLYTZ5FGHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm using Outlook 2000 and was wondering if it is possible to mark a > message as...

Password --> Outlook X Outlook Xpress
Hi there.. I was using Outlook Express and it was fine and secure. The only problem is that Outlook express remains asking me if i want to compact my folders because they are large... once I said yes, I lost all my emails. Because of that I just started to use Outlook. It is coll, easy to use and much better then Express. The only doubt is... where I configure to use a Password to access the mailbox, as i did in identities on Express? I must use passwords here because my computer is used for other people and I don't want them seeing my emails. I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2003....

sharing sub directory contact lists
I have a problem where if a make a new contact list under the default conacts and share the list and give permissions for a user to access it, when the user tries to open the list using outlook, open another users data, I get a message saying the oject cannot be found. If I share the default contact list and try and access it it works fine. This is the same for inboxs as well does anyone know why this is and can I fix it? Jake In news:3D1F7F26-CD1A-4BAB-B9D1-501C9394E307@microsoft.com, Jake <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I have a problem where if a make a new cont...

Invalid Sub-Total and Total in POP report
Hi, We've a user that came up with a POP Purchase Order Blank Form report (it's a customized version, but there was no changes since quite a while and has ever worked fine), on which the sub-total and the total is incorrect... On the screen, the POP shows 2 line items with a line value of 1305.00$ for the first and 1044.36$ on the second line. Both lines have had a receiption against it. When printing the report, the sub-total shows only the total for the 2nd line and the total line is @ 0$. I've ran a Purchase Order Documents reconcile, but this had no effect on the ...

Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table x
Sql Server 2005 9.00.4035. We have a hub and spoke topology which includes 6 tables with identity columns. I need to add a new subscription to a new server (same version/sp). I took backup from another subscriber and restored to new server, ran snapshot, push subscription. To make sure a new record would replicate, I added a record at the publisher with the followig text: Insert into tblicimagefolder (imagefolder) values ('dummy') A conflict occurs with the following: This failure can be caused by a constraint violation. Cannot insert explicit value for identity c...

MS Office 2004 and OS X network homes
Does anyone have any solid info/documentation on MS Office 2004 support (or lack there of) for OS X Server 10.4.x network home directories? I work in a medium size school district that is just now getting up to speed on the IT side. We upgraded to server accounts and network homes for students this year - staff have portable homes and so are not experiencing any of these problems. Students from time to time have issues with app's in the Office 2004 suite including not being able to save doc's, doc's mysteriously disappearing from their network home, printer list not showing up whe...

Office v.X reverts back to setup assistant constantly
I have a large group of Office v.X users who are experiencing constant errors when the launch any Office app - they are presented with the Office v.X setup assistant that asks them for their name and organization and to accept the support information. Deleting the Office v.X preferences files seems to fix the problem temporarily but I haven't been able to find a permanent fix. All affected users are network users with their home folders hosted on our XServe G5s over AFP. I've never seen this happen with local users. Everyone is using OS X 10.3.5-10.3.8 and the Office v.X 10.1.6. Any ...

Not sure my Version of OS X will support my New Software
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Processor: Power PC Have recently Bought the Office mac 2008- Home and Student edition, but as I went to install it, I noted that they are requesting Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later.... My Computer is only a Version 10.3.9, so I am now concerned I will not be able to run the package effectively, Please Advise, With Thanks, Helen On 3/10/08 2:35 AM, in article ee92f48.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Helen_Peirce@officeformac.com" <Helen_Peirce@officeformac.com> wrote: > > Have recently Bought the Office mac 2008- Ho...

How do I create an 11 X 17 document in Word?
I am trying to create an 11X17" document in Word and I get a message that my margins don't fit. When I go to print preview about 1/3 of the document isn't showing. The same thing happens in Publisher. What am I doing wrong? I'll bet your printer can't handle an 11 x 17 sheet of paper. You need drivers for one that does. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "A vexed teacher" <A vexed teacher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E978CF3-208B-4174-B83A-A2469D5241CE@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create an 11X17" document ...

Break in Y axis
I am charting 7 departments however 1 department has a large number to chart which brings down the other departments. How do I make a break in the y axis at a certain numerical value and then continue on at a higher value.???? see http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Rave" <Rave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92447C2B-382C-4234-B842-A4B052569379@microsoft.com... >I am charting 7 departments however 1 department has a large number to >chart > wh...

sharing inbox sub folders
Hi all, Is there a way to share all the sub-folders below my Inbox without having to go into each one? I have about a 100 sub-folders. I have given the user reviewer permission on my mailbox root and editor permission on my Inbox root. But she still cannot see my inbox sub folders. I have tried to use Delegates, but I get an error message regarding Delegates page not available, Exchange server cannot be contacted when i access that tab. I am online and connected to the server. Please help! ...

How can I use Outlook in AOL 9.x ?
I am temporarily using AOL and have in the past always used Outlook 2000 to access and answer my e-mail. But in AOL there is always this propietary AOL face for mail and I do not want that. What must I do to use Outlook in AOL again? Ritter197 <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote: > I am temporarily using AOL and have in the past always used Outlook > 2000 to access and answer my e-mail. > But in AOL there is always this propietary AOL face for mail and I do > not want that. > > What must I do to use Outlook in AOL again? AOL has instructions on how to access AOL mail...

Does any Chart Y-axis with 2 Values on X-axis(A train's tracking)
I need to draw a chart, where Y-axis represent Railway Stations and X-axis represent times of a day. I need to show simple line chart Stating From Station A, 0700hr(Train Dep Time);Station B 0800hr(Train arrive time);Station B 0800hr(Train Dep Time);Station C 0830hr (Train Arrive Time);Station C 0835hr(Train Dep Time);and finally Station D 0900hr(Train Arrive Time). You can see that in some station, the train does not stop and so Arrive and Dep time are the same. But in some stations, the train stops and therefore the line chart will show as parallel to X axis during its stops at th...

how to add a secondary axis in excel chart?
Is this possible in `03 version? Don't see "Seconadry Axis" option available. Hi, You need a chart with 2 series. Double click the series and on the axis tab select Secondary axis. Not available for any 3d chart styles. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26951F31-7023-49FA-91A4-13BD6C94C4DE@microsoft.com... > Is this possible in `03 version? Don't see "Seconadry Axis" option > available. You'll need to have at least 2 data se...

Changing default language of office X or v.X : a successful case from french to english
I post it because I failed to find this information here. I'm an English user working in France(bad situation). My company provided me French office 2004 for Mac(version 11.0) and license key. My french is really basic level and my english is much better than french, so I wanted to change all the menu bars and options marked in english. I downloaded update files for office2004 from Mactopia. At first, install a FRENCH version of 'Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service pack 1 (11.1.0). And then, install ENGLISH version of 'Microsoft office 2004 for Mac 11.1.1 Update'. It changes...

insert 'x' number of rows in excel
Hi, I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is the result of a 'countA' function. Is this possible? Hi# only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is >the result of a 'countA' function. > >Is this possible? >. > Yes VBA is feasible "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi# > only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? > > >-----Original ...

budget category
Hi I am unsure as to why my budget questions cannot be answered...please can someone advise me if possible, I have posted 2 other questions and had no replies...Is it because it is not used by many people? Please let me know why my category in my budget shows zero. I have entries with amounts in the subcategory and Money is calculting a zero. Please can you let me know why ? Thank you In microsoft.public.money, April wrote: >Hi > >I am unsure as to why my budget questions cannot be answered...please can >someone advise me if possible, I have posted 2 other questions ...

X Y Scatter With Point name on each point ?
I need to create a excel chart with three columns which are x coordinate, y coordinate and country name. I need a scatter chart, with point name labeled againt each point. e.g. In the below example, I need country name to identify each point in the chart. Pl. help ! x y Cname 1 5 US 2 2 Canada 5 7 Brazil 6 2 UK Hi, Create a xy-scatter on the first to columns of data and then use Rob Bovey's free addin to link data labels to cells. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "...