Stop Chart Style (Format) Update

Hi TWIMC,
  I'm using Excel 2000 and I have a pivot table that aggregates data based on REGION, COUNTRY, ZONE etc etc. Once I have set up the chart they way that I would like it to look, if I then make a change to the selection using the pivot chart buttons, e.g. I select a country and the chart re-formats itself back to what appears to be the default style. I've set my chart style to the default but it still doesn't keep my chart style. What I want is that the chart style remains the same but the new values are just plotted onto the chart.

I'm sure there is an option to turn update off but where is it?

Any help much appreciate,

TIA
KM

Kevin -

This is an acknowledged issue with Pivot Charts. Microsoft suggests
recording a macro when you reformat the chart, so you can rerun the
macro next time:

   XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting (215904)
   http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904

An alternative is to define a custom chart type based on the correctly
formatted pivot chart, and reapply this custom type after updating the
chart. This article demonstrates how to create your own custom chart types:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CreateCustomTypes.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Kevin McCartney wrote:

> Hi TWIMC, I'm using Excel 2000 and I have a pivot table that
> aggregates data based on REGION, COUNTRY, ZONE etc etc. Once I have
> set up the chart they way that I would like it to look, if I then
> make a change to the selection using the pivot chart buttons, e.g. I
> select a country and the chart re-formats itself back to what appears
> to be the default style. I've set my chart style to the default but
> it still doesn't keep my chart style. What I want is that the chart
> style remains the same but the new values are just plotted onto the
> chart.
>
> I'm sure there is an option to turn update off but where is it?
>
> Any help much appreciate,
>
> TIA KM

0
DOjonNOT (619)

Validate the format of a number
I need to determine that an entered serial number is valid. It must check that it is 11 characters and follows the format as follows: a letter, followed by a number, followed by 2 letters, followed by 6 numbers, and ending with a letter. For example, the user enters D7PM234567B and the cell next to it would indicate 'valid' or something similar. If 87PM2345674 was entered, it was indicate 'invalid' next to it or something similar to alert the user it is not in the correct format. Thank you very much in advance. Steve This formula =AND(LEN(A1)=11,CODE(...

Dynamic Bar of Pie Chart: Series1 Label & Value Issue
I have created a Bar of Pie chart and everything works great. I even have named ranges on my data so that the bar portion automatically updates when the data changes. However the Series1 Label on the pie itself does not change to reflect the new total so that it is the sum of all the values in the right column below. Does that make sense? I have one series and my data looks like this: Contracts 100 Name1 100 Name2 150 Name3 200 Name4 75 Name5 50 Name6 25 The pie portion has Contracts & Other as labels with the totals of...

ability to view hotmail messages through outlook suddenly stopped
I have two email accounts, one that I access through my ISP and the other at Hotmail. Both email accounts have been set to open in Outlook (Outlook 2000 on Win XP OS). Until four days ago, I never had a problem viewing or responding to hotmail messages. Then suddenly, I could view the sender and subject of a message on the hotmail account viewed and formatted to work in Outlook, and I could delete an unread message, but I cannot open or view contents of any message received. Now I have to login to my hotmail account separately and view messages in a browser format, and it is driving me crazy....

how do I get more than 19 bars on a bar chart
Hi! I have three columns of data each containing 84 entries. These are grouped in threes, and I wish to create a bar chart to show the comparison between groups A, B and C. I use the chart wizard, create a bar chart, then create the series. Then for each series I go down the column with CTRL held down, selecting each third entry. This is fine for 19 entries, but when I click to select entry no. 20, the series clears itself. If I highlight 20 entries and then click on Insert/chart, I get the message 'Series formula is too long'. Can anyone explain please how to over come t...

Updating information in 1 file when it is added to other files
I have 9 Spreadsheets consisting of contact information for publications in different industries. 8 Industries and 1 Master List. I would like to link the master list to all of the individual industry lists so that when I add or update a new contact in an Industry list, it is reflected in the Master Spreadsheet as well. Essentially, I want to cut down on duplicating my efforts. Check out the copy paste merge examples... http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Kyle" wrote: > I have 9 Spreadsheets consisting of contact information f...

can't fix Money stopped working problem
I was able to access and use it completely a couple of days ago and I suddenly started getting messages that it wasn't working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the CD, but still can't get past the log in page. I tried logging in and skipping the internet access, but still no success. There are no recent changes to my computer that I see. found a "fix" on the support site for money plus when it suddenly stops working. I can't update the program now because I can't get in. When I tried to change the DEP settings to except the files listed in the ...

XML formatting to HTML...beginner question

Date chart formula question?!?1
Hi all, In a very old spread sheet i was using this formula =IF(OR(AND($D7<G$6,$E7>F$6),AND(F$6>=$D7,F$6<=$E7)),".","") and it worked for dates pre 2009. However, i now wish to use it for dates between 2010 - 2011. Each column represent a week and the rows will indicate and project or task. can anyone help? There is nothing it that formula that will make it work for pre-2009 and not for later years. Perhaps you need to look at your data values? If you have a problem, you could tell us what values are being fed into the formula when it works...

How change dimensions of data label text box in pie chart?
In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie chart. I can change the font and allignment of the text within the text box. But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't know about? This is a deficiency in Excel's charting capabilities. The text elements seem like regular text boxes, but you are unable to resize or reshape them. Even VBA can't do this. The workar...

Compare cells, update based on Ifs
I need to compare cells to the cell above them and to the right of them. Based on the comparisons I'll need to update the original cell with one of those adjoining cell values. After I finish with one column then I need to repeat the procedure on the column to the LEFT of the original column. I know IF, THEN and ELSE statesments but I don't know VB for Microsoft Office products. Range could be all 65,000+ rows on a workseet Start on ColumnJ, Row2 If ColumnJ, Row2 is Null _ If ColumnK, Row 2 is Not Null _ If ColumnJ, Row 1 is Not Null _ ColumnJ, Row2 Value is ...

Getting data point from an accel chart
I have an excel chart that I want to get the data points(x,y) from. The source data refers to cells in the same sheet, but I don't see any cell in that work sheet. Only the chart. I can run the cursor over the line and get the x,y coordinates for each point. I would like to copy the x,y values, to reproduce the curve in another program ...

Multiple Cell Formats
Is it possible for a column to have more than one format, but for those formats to be similar. Eg. I would like to have a multi-format date column. The format can either be Month-Year (Jan-99) or Year only (1999). (I would even like to have something like Jan/Feb-99, but I can live without that.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi With true Excel dates in column A e.g. 01 Feb 07, in column B =A1 Format>Cells>Number>Custom> mmm-yy will give Feb-07 or =TEXT(A1,"mmm-yy") =A1 Format>Cells>Number>Custom> yyyy will give 2007 or =TEXT(A1,"yy...

Filtering Excel 2003 Charts to a date range
I have multiple charts that we look for trends on over 1-2 year time frames. Is it possible to have a chart show all the data that has been entered and when looking at the chart have a date range data to format that range differently. What I am trying to do is we have weekly or montly meetings, in these meetings I would like to show all the additional data differently that has been added since our last meeting, while showing accumulative data in a different format. The easiest way to get different formats is to use different series. If you had one series, you could use autofiltering to...

Managed Client Updates warning (Message #9046 missing)
Hello all, I've started using Managed Client updates at customer sites and keep coming up with a small issue when using it. All I'm doing is publishing a CNK file to be installed on the client machines. After they choose their company, they are prompted to install the update, no problems there. After they select Yes, they get the error Message #9046 missing. After clicking OK and restarting Great Plains all is well. I've seen another post in this community where they had a similar issue but with a different Message #. The number was still below #22000 so it seems t...

Win 7 64 bit KB971468 Update fails and locks PC
Hi, I've installed this update 3x (and related updates all that show "failed" in the update history -- this is the first of the updates to "fail") without success. Each time the update installs and then locks the computer. To get beyond this I need to boot in safe mode, select a restore point prior to installation of update, reboot and go from there. I'm running a Dell d630, with updated drivers, and 4 gb ram. From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971468 " How to obtain help and support for this security update For home users, no-char...

Hide one month in a chart
I have data from July 2006 to January 2007 that I need to chart. The only catch is that there is no data for Dec 06 (we do not capture this data due to the Xmas rush). On the chart I would like to remove Dec 06 but have not succeeded. Any ideas? In the cell where the Dec 6 data should go type =NA() This will display as #N/A Excel will ignore it when it charts But Dec 6 will still be on the x-axis (it would be misleading to not have it) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email <dkbleechmore@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:1170456927...

Perserving secondary axis in pivot chart
I have a Pivot Chart with two series of data, one of which is plotted on the secondary y axis. Every time I refresh the chart, it defaults back and I lose my secondary axis. I then have to manually change this every time. Hi, This is a know issue. XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q215904 Cheers Andy David wrote: > I have a Pivot Chart with two series of data, one of which is plotted on the > secondary y axis. Every time I refresh the chart, it defaults back and I > lose my secondary axis. I then...

Formatting with CONCATENATE
I would like to use the TODAY() function with a leading word, in this case "Per ". The formula ="Per "&TODAY() produces "Per 38238" and I can't see any way to format the "38238" to make today's date readable. It's easy to do it by using 2 columns, one for "Per" and one for the date, but is there any way to do this in one column? Hi, Try some variation of the following: ="Per "&TEXT(TODAY(),"MM-DD-YY") >-----Original Message----- >I would like to use the TODAY() function with a leading word, in...

Conditional Formatting Text!!
Hi I want to conditionally format some text in a spreadsheet using formula: I have column A1 with: 4a Be 3a To 4c To 4b Be 4c Be 5c Be 5c To 6a Be etc... What I want to do is for all cells which contain "5a Be" "5b Be" 5c Be" "4a Be" "4b be" and "4c Be" to be highlighted in Red - is there a formula to put all of them into one formula - If("5a Be" or "5b Be) etc.. Thanks Kiran "Kiran" <kiran.vithal@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143053337.964222.63000@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi > ...

Conditional formating using VBA
Hello I have to format cells (I4:J37) if cells (I43:J76) are: 100%-91% (green) 90%-76% (blue) 75%-50% (yellow) <50% (red) How do I write that in VBA? (I am new to VBA so any help would be appreciated) Many thanks Tracey Hi Tracey, I asume your users will enter a value in the range("I43:J76"). In that case you case use the Worksheet_change(Byval Target as Range function like so: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) ' Check if only 1 cells value is changed If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub ' Check if changed c...

Trouble with dates on a chart
I have 3 columns of data. Column A = dates, Column B = number corresponding to Column A, and Column C = other numbers correspondin to Column A. The dates in Column A have gaps. For example, they are September 1986 October 1987 November 1987 January 1990 When I attempt to create a bar chart with the dates as the X axis Excel fills in the missing dates in the X axis. This causes a proble because there are no data corresponding to the additional dates, so m chart is out of scale. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ri...

Conditional Formating Help
I would love your help with a conditional formatting goal. I would like to color a cell if it is part of a formula in another cell. Below is an example: A B C 1 12 13 =B1/A1 I then want A1 and B1 colored blue 2 12 13 =B1 I then want A1 and B1 colored blue 3 ...

email address not updating in global list
We have a single Exchnage 2003 server. An exchnage enabled user account was created with the wrong spelling. I went to ADUC and right clicked on the object and renamed it. I then when into the properties and changed the spelling everywhere I could find it. I can manually send an email to the correct address, but When I go to Outlook 2003 and look inthe global list, the incorrect spelling is there. I made this correction over a week ago. I then went to Exchnage System Manager, and fond the Default Offline Address list and right clicked on the object and selected rebuild. But it s...

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) Processor: Power PC Hi, I have tried 3 times (unsuccessfully) to load a new copy of MS Office 2008 for MAC - Product ID 92715-501-8109773-12081 onto my daughter's MAC OS 10 It has removed the previous version of Office, I had all other applications shut down (including Messenger) jsut in case - and loaded well all the way through to the next to last step - when it went to check for Auto Updates - it cam back to mactopia website and stopped!! IS there a way to load in a custom manner that coudl 'bypass' that step - or do I need...

CTabCtrl with XP styles
i'm having trouble getting a tab control to appear properly when using an XML manifest to get XP styles in my application. i have the tab control at the bottom of several list controls, so i was using the style TCS_BOTTOM to invert the control. this still draws properly (upside down) in NT, but in XP, it draws right side up (what the normal control looks like without TCS_BOTTOM). any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Doug Deram "Douglas M. Deram" <dougderam@yeahright.com> wrote in message news:eF%23AEEYsEHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > i'm having tr...