Standard Deviation Chart

Excel 2007

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to generate a standard deviation chart
in Excel?

--Tom

You can calculate standard deviations, and you can chart numbers. What
precisely is a "standard deviation chart"?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2007
>
> Just out of curiosity, is there a way to generate a standard deviation
> chart in Excel?
>
> --Tom

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/1/2009 2:06:38 AM
It's been years since I came across a situation where I thought doing a
standard deviation calculation and charting the results would be the way to
go.  However, I do remember one request from years back where my boss wanted
two bell-shaped curves on the same report.  I was working for a medical case
management company at the time, and the x-axis was to show numerical values
for diabetes patients where the higher the number the healthier the person
(in over simplified terms).  The first bell-shaped curve was to show the
range that people fell into when they first entered the diabetes management
program, and the second curve was to show the range that those same patients
fell into after being in the program for a given period of time.  He wanted
the area under each curve to be entirely colored in.  I was working with
Excel 97 at the time, and I just seem to remember that I could not find an
easy way to produce such a chart.

--Tom

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> You can calculate standard deviations, and you can chart numbers. What
> precisely is a "standard deviation chart"?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>

> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> Excel 2007
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, is there a way to generate a standard deviation
>> chart in Excel?
>>
>> --Tom

Ah, if you had said bell curve, I would have instantly known. My colleague
Tushar Mehta has a tutorial on the topic here:

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

> It's been years since I came across a situation where I thought doing a
> standard deviation calculation and charting the results would be the way
> to go.  However, I do remember one request from years back where my boss
> wanted two bell-shaped curves on the same report.  I was working for a
> medical case management company at the time, and the x-axis was to show
> numerical values for diabetes patients where the higher the number the
> healthier the person (in over simplified terms).  The first bell-shaped
> curve was to show the range that people fell into when they first entered
> the diabetes management program, and the second curve was to show the
> range that those same patients fell into after being in the program for a
> given period of time.  He wanted the area under each curve to be entirely
> colored in.  I was working with Excel 97 at the time, and I just seem to
> remember that I could not find an easy way to produce such a chart.
>
> --Tom
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>> You can calculate standard deviations, and you can chart numbers. What
>> precisely is a "standard deviation chart"?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>> _______
>>

>> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>>> Excel 2007
>>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, is there a way to generate a standard deviation
>>> chart in Excel?
>>>
>>> --Tom

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/2/2009 1:11:25 AM
Oh, yeah, sorry.  For some reason I have always thought about that the
approach for that particular issue being one in which you calculate the mean
for the population and then break the population down into groups of +/- 1
standard deviation, +/- 2 standard deviations, etc.  So I've just always
thought of it as a "standard deviation" chart.  But you're right, the term
"bell curve" is probably a more readily understandable description.

I just noticed your latest reply, so I haven't yet had a chance to review in
detail the article that you linked to in the reply.  However, just glancing
at the article it looks like it's what I need.  I'll try to take a look at
it this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

> Ah, if you had said bell curve, I would have instantly known. My colleague
> Tushar Mehta has a tutorial on the topic here:
>
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
> Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> _______
>

> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> It's been years since I came across a situation where I thought doing a
>> standard deviation calculation and charting the results would be the way
>> to go.  However, I do remember one request from years back where my boss
>> wanted two bell-shaped curves on the same report.  I was working for a
>> medical case management company at the time, and the x-axis was to show
>> numerical values for diabetes patients where the higher the number the
>> healthier the person (in over simplified terms).  The first bell-shaped
>> curve was to show the range that people fell into when they first entered
>> the diabetes management program, and the second curve was to show the
>> range that those same patients fell into after being in the program for a
>> given period of time.  He wanted the area under each curve to be entirely
>> colored in.  I was working with Excel 97 at the time, and I just seem to
>> remember that I could not find an easy way to produce such a chart.
>>
>> --Tom
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>>> You can calculate standard deviations, and you can chart numbers. What
>>> precisely is a "standard deviation chart"?
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>>> _______
>>>

>>> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message

I checked out the link that you posted.  I used the first method to create a
chart with a bell curve.  I then added a second data series using a
different mean and added that data series to the chart.  The result was one
chart containing two bell curves, which is what I wanted.

However, I could not get the second method to work.  I followed the
instructions to the letter, but when I try to enter the formulas for the X
and Y values in the data series, I get an message indicating, "The formula
you typed contains an error."  I think that the article is written for Excel
2003, whereas I'm using 2007, so maybe I am not making the translation
correctly or something.

--Tom

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> Ah, if you had said bell curve, I would have instantly known. My colleague
> Tushar Mehta has a tutorial on the topic here:
>
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
> Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> _______
>

> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> It's been years since I came across a situation where I thought doing a
>> standard deviation calculation and charting the results would be the way
>> to go.  However, I do remember one request from years back where my boss
>> wanted two bell-shaped curves on the same report.  I was working for a
>> medical case management company at the time, and the x-axis was to show
>> numerical values for diabetes patients where the higher the number the
>> healthier the person (in over simplified terms).  The first bell-shaped
>> curve was to show the range that people fell into when they first entered
>> the diabetes management program, and the second curve was to show the
>> range that those same patients fell into after being in the program for a
>> given period of time.  He wanted the area under each curve to be entirely
>> colored in.  I was working with Excel 97 at the time, and I just seem to
>> remember that I could not find an easy way to produce such a chart.
>>
>> --Tom
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>>> You can calculate standard deviations, and you can chart numbers. What
>>> precisely is a "standard deviation chart"?
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>>> _______
>>>

>>> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message

display multiple charts in a workshheet
If I change the display resoution in Windows (Control Panel/Display/Settings) This appears to affect how my graphs display on the worksheet but only on a sporadic basis. I am a naive user and have lined the graphs up by using macros to record hand adjustments and then inseting then into the VB code for the sheet. My problem is that I can change the screen resolution a number of times and the graphs will line up OK and then I change it again and the graphs do not line up. I have a program that automatically charts data and I would like the output to be consistent across different hardware and...

Update Chart data Range with VBA
Hi, I do have approx 50 charts (with multiple series) in 1 workbook (excel 97) which show monthly data. I would like to update the chart data range to show always to the last 12 months of data by running once a month a macro. I would like to do with VBA and not with named ranges (as the latter means that I have to re-setup all graphs with named ranges). To do this I would like to read-out the current XValues and Values of the SeriesCollection(i) (see below) into a string or range and brake up the string and alter this to a new range and update the Seriescollection again. I have listed below...

Chart Date Label Problem
I've created a chart with a 3 data series - one of which I am using as a dummy X axis (using categories, rather than values). The chart is XY scatter type. I'm using VBA to apply the values to the labels on the X axis. The labels are of the format mmm/yy. (I want the chart to show the mth/year for the datapoints). The underlying data (which I retrieve from an Access application) takes care of converting the real date field in the database to a text field of the form "'" & DateValue. (I actually prepend the single quote to the date field in the SQL query so that Exc...

name of axis is not printed fully in charts
HI, The x axis name is 'YTD 2007, but only YTD is visible on the chart, how do I amend this? Hi, A known problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b870698 Try adding trailing spaces and non-breaking spaces (ALT+160 numeric keypad) Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "AngelBubbles" <AngelBubbles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85D3B547-0526-494E-ADBE-65AA067C3051@microsoft.com... > HI, > > The x axis name is 'YTD 2007, but only YTD is visible on the chart, how do > I &g...

3 lots of information to be put on a chart
Is it possible to input 3 lots of data onto a chart, ie: Sold Received Percentage Aug 1 1120 0.09 Sep 1 1055 0.06 Oct 0 1035 0.00 I want to be able to see this on a chart. Am I way too in the clouds or can it be done? :) -- Em EmJay80, This is what I came up with: A B C D 1 Sold Received Percentage 2 Aug 1 1120 0.09 3 Sep 1 1055 0.06 4 Oct 0 1035 0.00 Select the data: Cells A1:D4 Select C...

Fill bar/column charts with patterns in Excel 2007?
Is there anyway that I can fill a bar/column chart with patterns as I can do with Excel 2003? I know that MicroSoft removed this feature in Excel 2007. But I don't understand why they do it. Lots of academic journals prefers black and white charts than shaded or charts with gradient. Also, it's hard to tell one series of data from another series if they are printed in black and white. Any help is appreciated. Excel 2007 doesn't use these patterns anymore. Did you really find them useful in Excel 2003? They printed at such a fine resolution that different patters were ind...

How do I change the scaling in Excel Radar charts.
I am using the Radar chart to build a circular chart that is recording 2 pressure ranges and one temperature range. My problem is the wizard builds it in 10 lbs increments and one of my pressures is around 2.5 lbs. Is there a way to create it in smaller increments ( 2 or 5 lbs)? Also can you change the pen colors? Thanks for any help!!! Hi, You can change the Major Unit value on the scale tab of the format dialog for the Axis. Double click the values axis to display the dialog. To change a lines colour double click the series to display it's format dialog. If you are having trou...

Non-contiguous ranges for chart
Basically, my daughter's problem is this: She needs to create a chart in Excel from the data below, which shows prices for two areas (London and Provincial) across the years in the top row. 1834 1852 1862 1864 1865 1868 1869 1871 1874 London �68.05 �68.05 �68.05 �80.00 Provincial �63.00 �75.00 �75.00 �75.00 �82.10 This produces a chart with a line for each set of data but they are effectively in one line. She has put them in rows like this because she (and I!!!) am stuck for a better way of doing it. What we would really like to do is have the two sets of data on...

Chart from version 2003 to version 2007
Hi I have made two files, a and b, with line charts in Excel version 2003. The files are apperently identical. When I open file "a" in Excel version 2007 the line chart is shown without any problems, and it is possible to change Minimum and maximum for the x-axes and to choose months, year etc., so it is working fine. When I open file "b" in Excel version 2007 the line isn't shown in the chart, and it isn't possible to change Minimum and maximum months etc. for the x-axes. It seems like some formatting of the data has been done, but I can't figure ou...

Waterfall chart add-ins?
Are there any add-ins available to make waterfall charts? Thanks! Hi, Not addins as such but here are some examples, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/waterfall/index.htm http://edferrero.m6.net/Charting.aspx Cheers Andy Miles wrote: > Are there any add-ins available to make waterfall charts? > Thanks! -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks Andy. I do need the ability to change the width of the individual bars (eg: http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-waterfall-chart.htm), but I am too cheap to f...

Pivot Chart
Hi there, I have created a pivot chart (stacked column) in which I also use a secondary axis represented as a line. My problem is this. Whenever I change my data or criteria (via the pivot table drop downs)my secondary axis disappears from the chart. I am very new to the whole pivot chart thing so am I missing something simple here? Help! Thanks, Deb This is a known problem pivot chart formatting. There's some info in the following MSKB article, which suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http:/...

Bug with Chart.Name?
Excel 2003 with hundreds of charts in 3 tabs and just under 200 tota tabs. I'm trying to automate the export of them with a macro. The cod seems fine, but all the charts are not being exported. I've changed the chart names away from the default Chart ### via th shift click method but even though the name shows correctly in the nam box at the upper left, a few are still named Chart ### when exported. I've even tried copying a few of the charts to a brand new chart tab no joy. There are six charts (and that's wha ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Count shows) in the new tab but only ...

Bar chart with character data in x and y axis ?
Hi all How can I create a bar chart with character data in x and y axis, not number? The bar chart is used for tracking production with lot name in y axis and step name in x axis. I know the list of first step to last step but how can I create a chart like that. Need your help. Daniel danielqk@gmail.com On Wed, 23 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I create a bar chart with character data in x and y >axis, not number? The bar chart is used for tracking >production with lot name in y axis and step name in...

Cost of SSRS with SQL Server 2008 Standard
Anyone know how Microsoft packages (and for what price) sells SSRS for use with a single CPU SQL Server 2008 Standard db? For various reasons, I can't use the ASP.net SQL Server Express with Advanced Services (free, single CPU). But I can't find any links that tell me how SSRS is added to a Standard SQL Server. Thx. Dale SSRS is not added to SQL Server 2008 separately, it is part of it: you buy SQL Server 2008, you have SSRS, just like you buy a car, you have a passenger seat beside you: you do not need it to drive, but you do not pay extra for it. "dale" &...

can't get mean and standard deviation of a variable?
Hello, Might anyone please kindly answer my question? Thank you very much. I tried to get the estimates of mean and standard deviation from SPSS. I can get the estimates for all variables, except one variable. Why can't I get the estimates for only this one variable? Is there any statistic theory that suggest why I can't get the mean and standard deviation of the one variable? for example, all values of this variable are very similar to each other? However, even the values of this variable are very similar to each other, I think I should still be able to get the mean and SD...

adding new month to chart
I was emailed a line chart that is per month on numbers from 1000 to 9000 and want to update it with new monthly information. I don't work with excel often and am at a complete loss. If the monthly update is something that will happen on a regular basis, see Dynamic Charts http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <C3290873-20B3-4DEE-8217-D79EA493148E@microsoft.com>, BB@discussions.microsoft.com says......

Combining non-matching date series in one chart
I am trying to combine two data ranges into a single line chart, but the the X-values are not matching, although they are similar. I think an example of my data explains my problem better 12/10/2006 4.3 12/10/2006 5.2 12/11/2006 4.4 12/11/2006 5.4 12/10/2006 ...

Stacked pie charts
I have data in four series and would like to create a set of stacked, exploded pie charts, rather than four separate pie charts. Is there a way to do this? My data looks similar to the following: Y N A 3 2 B 2 1 C 4 0 D 1 5 Instead of a pie chart, create a doughnut chart from the data. Then, select one of the series, and choose Format>Selected Data Series On the Options tab, set the doughnut hole size to 10. bdholm wrote: > I have data in four series and would like to create a set of stacked, exploded pie charts, rather than four separate pie charts. Is the...

High / Low Bar Chart
I want to make a bar chart that shows high and low values for a range. I have a database that looks like: X Y Z High 25 24 14 Low 10 11 8 How do I do this in Excel? Thanks! I've rearranged your data, and inserted a row with the span (the difference between High and Low): X Y Z Low 10 11 8 Span 15 13 6 High 25 24 14 Keep the top left cell blank, and select the top three rows of this range, omitting High. Make a stacked bar chart with two series, Low and Span. Double click on the Low series, click on the Patterns tab, and select None for Fil...

Pivot Chart Dates not in correct order
I have a pivot table that has a week ending column and the date of 7/10/09 is coming up before 7/3/09. Can you tell me how to get this in the correct order? Right-click the field button, advanced, sort ascending. Alterntively, you may have text that looks like dates, instead of true dates (stored as numbers), in which case you would need to modify your source data. (DATEVALUE function will help) -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "ls" wrote: > I have a pivot table that has a week ending column and the date of 7/10/09 is...

Excel: Can I display a chart when the mouse is over a cell?
I have a worksheet and i need to be able to have a range of cells from another worksheet display when the mouse pointer is over a certain cell on the first worksheet. Is there a way to do this? If the range of cells is static and the contents of those cells don't change, you could create a comment for the cells in the first worksheet and put the values of other other worksheet in the comment. Other than that I cannot think of any other way, not even with VBA since XL doesn't raise any event when the cursor is over a particular cell. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta...

Pivot Charts
I have created Pie charts from the pivot tables in Excel and have selected my own colours on the pie charts. However, when I select Refresh Data from the pivot table menu, I loose all my formatting. This is VERY annoying but perhaps I have a certain option set and that's why this happens. Anyone know how to keep the formatting of the charts from being reset when a refresh is done? Thanks in advance As posted previously. This is a known bug that required vba code to re-apply formatting. XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com...

Copying A Chart
Good Evening All, I have come across a problem, which I cannot seem to resolve, and am hoping there is an easy fix for this. (Already trawled Google). I have a worksheet which incorporates a chart, the source data of which is from the same sheet, however, I simply wish to copy/paste the chart into another sheet, (as in copy/pastespecial/vaules only), where the sheet will appear just as is and all links to source data is removed. (This is for e-mail purposes where I do not wish to also provide the source data). I do not want to copy into Word or Powerpoint. (This must be simple, any help most ...

Creating Multiple Pie Charts from Excel Sheet
Creating Multiple Pie Charts from Excel Sheet I have an Excel sheet with the following: -1 header row with the column names. -5 individual rows of unique numerical data underneath. How can I create 5 separate pie charts each using a separate row and the header row without going through the chart wizard for each separate row? Needless to say, I have about 75 rows in the actual example. Any suggestions? What version are you using? If 2007, suggest create one that looks how you want it, save as a template. Then select the next lot of data, click F11 to create a chart. When all are created go...

Scatter Charts
I am using an XY scatter chart with data that looks like Name Priority Date Lic/Ow Free 12/16/1998 Lic Warner 1/28/1999 Lic Buckmon 7/12/2001 Ow Tucker 12/28/2000 Ow The Y values are the priority dates and x values would Lic or Own. Each dataset would be referenced in vertical columns. The problem is how to change data labels so that reflect the data in the name column and the data in the Lic/Own column. Hope you can help. Thanks. Thanks but I was able to use the XY Chart Labeler from Ap...