Stagger X-axis text

In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems
that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees.
Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal?
Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis
and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I
would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the
second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and
still read the text clearly.

Cheers,
Deborah
0
dmowry (12)

I would use a Bar Chart (a Column chart turned on its
axis). This allows long descriptions in the titles.

Regards
Peter
Deborah -

I have an example that shows how to get labels to appear this way:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Staggered.html

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Excel XP, and I haven't had a chance
to update my web page.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

Deborah wrote:

> In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems
> that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees.
> Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal?
> Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis
> and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I
> would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the
> second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and
> still read the text clearly.
>
> Cheers,
> Deborah

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/11/2004 4:12:11 PM
Hi Deborah,

Maybe one of theses techniques will suit.
(http://www.andypope.info/charts/staggeredlabels.htm)

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

0
andy9699 (3616)

Problem with Column Chart on 2 Axis
I have two series, A and B, and 3 values for each series. When I create a side by side column chart, right click the second series and choose Format Data Series > Axis > Secondary the two series overlap in one space; why did I lose the side by side appearance and how might I get it back? TIA for any ideas. Excel effectively treats the two series as two independent charts. If you still want the series side by side, make dummy series and make these transparent without borders so you don't see it effectively. Change the series order as appropriate. GL, Henk "headly"...

I want to bold selected text, entire document is bolded?
I'm working in Word. When I highlight a section of text to be bolded, italicized, etc. the entire document gets bolded italicized, etc. How do I stop that from happening? Might try a Word group... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Seeker" <Seeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A39826B2-75E3-4C9E-ACBC-9DD230741F28@microsoft.com... > I'm working in Word. When I highlight a section of text to be bolded, > italicized, etc. the entire document gets bolded italicized, etc. ...

Is there any way to make the format (General, Number, Text) of the cells visible?
Is there any way to make the format (General, Number, Text) of the cells visible? I always have to rightclick > Format to check it. Bart Ex2003 Hi Bart There's a way to create a formula to display the number format using an XLM4 macro function: 1. Go Insert>Name>Define and name the formula you are about to create something like NumFmt (you have to do it this 'indirect' way when using XLM4 macros) and in the refers to box type: =GET.CELL(7,OFFSET(INDIRECT("RC",FALSE),0,-1)) and click OK. 2. Now this formula can be used in any worksheets in this workbook a...

cell does not auto-stretch when too much text in one cell
I have text of multiple lines in a cell. It seems after it reaching to an amount, it stops auto-stretching so I can see all text in the cell. I have manually drag it down so I can see the complete content. Is there a way to have it auto-stretched to show all text again? Thanks for the help, Use Format/Row/Autofit -- you'll only have to do it once. From then on it should "auto stretch". Bob Umlas "cpliu" <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6be268e8-601e-4ac5-9046-c31e152fbc58@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I have text of multiple lines in a cel...

Value Axis Adjustment
I created a Gnatt Chart with 8 activities. The times on the values axis are listed as 3:50 AM, 4:19 AM, 5:16 AM, 6:14 AM, 6:43 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:40 AM, 8:09 AM, 8:38 AM, however since my activities take place between 5:30 AM and 8:15 AM, I wanted to decrease the time that is displayed on the chart dramatically. For example, I would like to see the time on the values axis displayed in 5, 10, or 15 minute increments. I am assuming this requires me to adjust the minimum, maximum, major unit, minor unit, and category X axis data in the Format Axis, but I am not sure what to enter. Could yo...

Line used to separate text sections in email
I use Outlook 2003 and received an email from someone using same system. The email I received was written in several sections and to separate each section was a black bold line spanning the email, as if underlining the text above. The lines are neat and make the email very clear; you can't click on them to get the little 'handles' though, so they weren't manually drawn / autoshapes. They're all the same length and extend only as far as the text does on either side of the email, and it's difficult to do that manually... If you resize the window, the l...

Secondary Axis Grid lines
Is there a way to show grid lines for a secondary y-axis? They've added this is 2007, which has so far only added to the confusion. It makes no sense to have two sets of Y axis gridlines, so set up the chart with the gridline-requiring data on the primary axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Arun" <Arun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CBEB888-9705-4F56-94CA-84BCC6FD875C@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to show grid lines for a second...

Height (in points) of data point in chart above x-axis
Hi, Is it possible using VBA to determine the height of a given data point in a Chart worksheet in Excel above the x-axis in terms of points? I can use the InsideHeight property in VBA to get the height of the plot area in points, but I am really interested in determining the number of points above the x-axis a data point sits. Thank you in advance for any assistance with this matter. Scott - What are you trying to do? It may not be necessary to determine the number of points to get the effect you want. There might be a native feature you haven't yet discovered, or perhaps you n...

Uppercase text to Proper text
I'm new at this so please excuse me. I have an excel spreadsheet in Office 97. It's all in upper case letters and I need it in upper/lower case letters. Can anyone tell me how I can simply change a column (say column "C") from uppercase text to Proper text? Example: MR & MRS KEN HOAGLAND to Mr & Mrs Ken Hoagland Must I do a formula in code module or is there a simple way to do this? If not, how do I do it any other way? Make a backup copy of your file first and try this on the COPY, don't experiment with the original With the data in column C In D1 (...

Converting numbers into text
Hi, I am trying to convert numbers into text. I have tried formatting bu it does not work. I am importing these excel data into SAS and SAS doe not recognize the formatting. I think I need a quick way to add a apostrophe in front of all my numbers, how? Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com I did try formatting the cells, but this does not really change th number into text.... I want there to be an error in the cell, that is, I want excel to tel me that...

Outlook 2007 displaying all received html messages in plain text
Hello, I need help on this subject. Outlook 2007 is displaying all received html messages in plain text. I went to TOOLS->TRUST CENTER ->EMAIL SECURITY and made sure the the option to read all mails in plain text is not checked. What can I do to make outlook display received html messages in html format and not in plain text? Thanks Eliseo negrin Which folder are you looking in? Junk mail folder will always be plain text. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/...

transfer money ofx file ot text or excel without having money
Hi, I can download my bank data unfortunately only in Money or quicken format. When viewing the file (.ofx) format, it looks like xml but when I try to import it as XML in excel or Access it does not work (something with the schema...) Is there any way to manage these (.ofx) file into .csv or .txt format (needs to go in MS Access) Please Help Philip Try some of these links: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=convert+ofx+csv. I suspect that writing your own importer directly in VBA/Access wouldn't be too hard, eit...

How do I move an object in a Text Box in Publisher 2007?
I used to work in an old version of Publisher & I was able to copy & paste pictures into a text box & drag & move them around. I am now using Publisher 2007 & when I copy & paste a picture into a text box, it "snaps" back & won't let me drag it where I want it to be placed. I have tried turing off the "snap" command, but that did not work. Click once on the picture. Go Format > Picture > Layout and change Object Position from inline to exact. Click OK. "Office 2007 Novice" wrote: > I used to work ...

Displaying Text, not numbers, in Pivot Table
Hello all. I posted this in the general section but I think it also could apply to here since I am new with using Pivot Tables. Currently I have a database in excel which has been made into a pivot table. It is just a simple catalog of some books. The row fields are organized as category, field, sub field and then title. The data items are a brief summary, catalog number, and where the book is currently located (in the office or someone else has it). My problem is all of the items in the data field are currently being displayed as numbers, which are all 1s since it gets that specific with t...

Converting text and listnum fields to multi-level lists
I have many documents with numbered paragraphs. They use a mixture of text, listnum fields and multi-level lists to achieve the numbering. How can I convert them all to multi-level lists using VBA? ...

Text don't fit in a cell
Is there a limit to the text count in a cell? I have wrap text on and I even increased my height and width but I can only see up to a certain point of my entry. I even tried making my font smaller but all it does is give me the extra space but still end at the same spot of my entry. If there is a limit, is there a way to override that? Please help. Hi there's a limit of 1,024 characters per cell (in the formula you can see up to 32K). You can extened this limit by manually entering linebreaks with ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Sue K" <anonym...

Leading Zeros and Text-to-Columns
Hi all, I'm using Excel X for Mac, and I'm trying to split my four-digit dat into two rows with two digits each: 0001 => 00|01 0101 => 01|01 9800 => 98|00 When I first imported the data it dropped all the leading zeros, bu this was quickly remedied by making the custom format: 0000 However, if I go straight from here to text-to-columns the zeros don' show up in the fixed-width option screen, making it impossible t properly separate them. Likewise, if I try to set the formatting of the cells to text, all th leading zeros are instantly dropped. The latter attempt - swi...

Sorting data that has both text & numbers.
I have a spreadsheet that has a column that contains both text and numbers. ex 1, 100, 101, 100A, 111B, 1251 etc. How do I get this to sort where the alpha letter that follows the # is in # sequence? 100, 100A, 101, 101A etc. The #'s containing the alpha letters sort at the end. I have tried formatting the cell, general, number and text and I'm still having problems. Hi, You will have to insert a column and separate the text from the number then sort. - mark >-----Original Message----- >I have a spreadsheet that has a column that contains both text and numbers. >...

Changing the font of text in a check box
How do I change the font properties in a check box? I would like to have the font bold and a different color. Thanks Irie! Right click the CheckBox, choose properties. Iriemon;575152 Wrote: > How do I change the font properties in a check box? > > I would like to have the font bold and a different color. > > Thanks > > Irie! -- Simon Lloyd Regards, Simon Lloyd 'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Simon Lloyd's Profile: http://www.the...

Get Excel to provide equation for my x and y
I am doing an assignment on how hot water gets in degrees celcius when so many kilojoules are supplied to it. i have a graph, with data provided to me for this function. kilojoules is my y, and degrees celcius is my x. i need to get excel to provide an equation that relates heat, y supplied to temp., x, in the range of 0-100 degrees celcius. In A1 type the word temperature; in B1 the word kilojoules Under these enter your data Put the mouse pointer anywhere with in the data; use the Chart Wizard on the toolbar to make an XY chart with just markers (no line) When you have the chart, right...

OE adds 'Blank' to a plain text messge
When sending a plain text message in OE the recipient receives the message but the first word of the message has been added - "Blank". Would appreciate any suggestions and help. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion...

How do I increase the text size of an Excel cell?
Hi guys, Situation: I had a memo size field in MS Access. When I copied and pasted it into an MS Excel cell the text gets truncated? I can't believe that Microsoft has had about 5-6 versions of Excel and hasn't fixed this simple problem. Mike Web Developer and Catholic Apologist http://www.faithfulchristians.net I think this is by design. Not everyone would want the whole column resized because of a single truncated cell. "Mike_Humphrey" <Mike_Humphrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79662172-C13B-4708-AAF4-B02511AD79AA@microsoft.com... > H...

Outlook (and Word) Spell check original text in reply #2
I have a couple of my users where Word spell checks original text i reply even though it is marked in tools as Do not Spell Check Origina Text in Reply. If I turn Word off as the editor, then it works fine. This does not occur on all of my machines, only on two... I use Word 2 and Outlook 2K. Any ideas why this is happening? I appreciate the help -- rcstechnologyPosted via http://www.officehelp.in - &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.officehelp.in&quot;&gt;Microsoft Office Software&lt;/a&gt ...

Text to Columns #4
I have a list of the Fortune 1000 companies in one cell. Is there a way to convert this information into columns with: Company City State Telephone 1 Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Bentonville, AR 479-273-4000 2 Exxon Mobil Corporation Irving, TX 972-444-1000 3 General Motors Corporation Detroit, MI 313-556-5000 4 Ford Motor Company Dearborn, MI 800-392-3673 5 General Electric Company Fairfield, CT 203-373-2211 6 ChevronTexaco Corporation San Ramon, CA 925-842-1000 7 ConocoPhillips Houston, TX 281-293-1000 8 Citigroup Inc New York, NY 212-559-1000 9 International Business Machines Corporatio...

Cancel button's ActiveControl reflects as value of text box
Hi All, On my form I have an "on exit" code to test whether its text box is "empty" or not. When I click the "Cancel" button I still get the msg that the txt box is empty. Using Debug.print to show the Me.ActiveControl gives me the value of the preceeding txt box. What I'm trying to achieve is to ignore the "empty" test if cancel has been selected by exiting the "on exit" before the msg box sub & clearly I'm misunderstanding the usage here somewhere. Hugh I'm a bit unclear what you want to accomplish... ...