Stacked Line Chart

I have a chart that is predominately a stacked bar chart however I want to
have 3 sections as a stacked line chart as the represent hours for the whole
group.  I can sucessfully set it for 2 stacked lines but when I add the 3rd
line if it has either a blank or 0 in the cell it picks up the line from the
previous stacked line.  Is it possible to have 3 stacked lines?

Sure it's possible, but I don't know what you mean, "it picks up the line
from the previous stacked line". Stacked means each line's value is added to
the previous total, so if the value of the third item is zero, it will plot
a point at the corresponding point of the second series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Two Weeks Away!

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

"Beverly Darvill" <beverlypdarvill@eaton.com> wrote in message
>I have a chart that is predominately a stacked bar chart however I want to
> have 3 sections as a stacked line chart as the represent hours for the
> whole
> group.  I can sucessfully set it for 2 stacked lines but when I add the
> 3rd
> line if it has either a blank or 0 in the cell it picks up the line from
> the
> previous stacked line.  Is it possible to have 3 stacked lines?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/1/2009 4:06:11 PM
Thanks Jon - I understand that bit now - so how can I have a chart that shows
stacked colums and 3 lines on top of one another and don't add the values
together (e.g. line 1 value 99, Line 2 value 0, Line 3 value 9)

Beverly

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Sure it's possible, but I don't know what you mean, "it picks up the line
> from the previous stacked line". Stacked means each line's value is added to
> the previous total, so if the value of the third item is zero, it will plot
> a point at the corresponding point of the second series.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>
> Two Weeks Away!
>
> Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> _______
>

> "Beverly Darvill" <beverlypdarvill@eaton.com> wrote in message
> >I have a chart that is predominately a stacked bar chart however I want to
> > have 3 sections as a stacked line chart as the represent hours for the
> > whole
> > group.  I can sucessfully set it for 2 stacked lines but when I add the
> > 3rd
> > line if it has either a blank or 0 in the cell it picks up the line from
> > the
> > previous stacked line.  Is it possible to have 3 stacked lines?

Use a regular line chart type for the line series, not a stacked line type.
This would be the line chart subtype to the left, not in the center, when
displayed in the Chart Wizard or Chart Type dialog in Excel 2003 and
earlier. I forget exactly in 2007, but it would be the first line chart
option of any group of options.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP

> Thanks Jon - I understand that bit now - so how can I have a chart that
> shows
> stacked colums and 3 lines on top of one another and don't add the values
> together (e.g. line 1 value 99, Line 2 value 0, Line 3 value 9)
>
> Beverly
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Sure it's possible, but I don't know what you mean, "it picks up the line
>> from the previous stacked line". Stacked means each line's value is added
>> the previous total, so if the value of the third item is zero, it will
>> plot
>> a point at the corresponding point of the second series.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>> _______
>>
>> Two Weeks Away!
>>
>> Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
>> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
>> _______
>>

>> "Beverly Darvill" <beverlypdarvill@eaton.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a chart that is predominately a stacked bar chart however I want
>> > have 3 sections as a stacked line chart as the represent hours for the
>> > whole
>> > group.  I can sucessfully set it for 2 stacked lines but when I add the
>> > 3rd
>> > line if it has either a blank or 0 in the cell it picks up the line
>> > from
>> > the
>> > previous stacked line.  Is it possible to have 3 stacked lines?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How to credit complicated pie chart
I want to create a pie chart of my credit card statement each month. Every pie chart example shows 3 columns and about 5 rows of data. I can create a chart for something that simple but what I need is A chart showing the amounts and to what merchant that amount was spent at. Can someone point me in the direction where I can find something that would tell me how to do what I want? Thanks Ron ...

macro/worksheet/chart interaction
I am running a macro which simulates an engineering application. The macro essentially time steps, sending the data at each time step to a worksheet, and a chart is set up to display the data in graphical form. Problem - although the worksheet is updated at each time step, the chart only updates when the macro has finished executing - and I want to see the data being graphed as the simulation proceeds - is there anyway of getting the macro to pause while the chart is updated - some kind of handshake between EXCEL and the macro? (At the moment the only way I can do this is to put a STOP in t...

Need stacked chart help #2
can nobody help me please ???? -- wjviveen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wjviveen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16474 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278258 Hi, Have you had a look at these examples? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy wjviveen wrote: > can nobody help me please ???? > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Color Text in Charts
I want to have the data labels along the X axis be color coded. I have price data associated with sales efforts. My labels represent sales won (Green), sales lost (Red), sales still active (Black). I can put colored text in the worksheet cells, but that color does not follow through to the chart. It sounds silly, but without this I need to export the chart to Powerpoint and do almost twice as much work. Is there some way to that the text color follow through the chart creation process? -- Eric K In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions:- 1. Click on your Sales Won colu...

Help with 2007 Chart Layout
Hi, I can't figure out how to build the chart I'm hoping to create. I have data by: quarters, regions, $ and #. Q1 Americas $100 5 Q2 Americas $200 7 Q3 Americas $120 3 Q1 Asia $213 4 Q2 Asia $312 2 .... Q1 Europe ... Q2 Eroupe... .... I'd like to have on the X-axis: region, on the y-axis $ (columns) and a secondary axis # (line graph). What's throwing me is the quarters. X axis: America with 3 bar graphs side by side for Q1, Q2, Q3 then a new grouping of bar graphs side by side for Asia Q1, Q2, Q3. Can this be accomplished? I'd appreciat...

Service Call Line Detail
I'm trying to figure out why the date fields (strtdate, enddate, fulfildat) are not being populated in the Service Call Line Detail table (SVC00203). Can anyone give me insight on these fields on why they are all 1/1/1900 dates? We are trying to generate a report based on the dates of the line items on a Service Call Work Order. Thanks ...

Outlook won't break lines in received plain text e-mail
Hello. I'm using Outlook 2000 on Windows XP. I moved my .pst file from another Outlook 2000 on Win98. Plain text e-mails show no line breaks. I remember on the previous Outlook I modified a registry key so they would show correctly. Do you know how to fix this? Example: MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION PASADENA, CALIFORNIA 91109. TELEPHONE (818) 354-5011 http://jpl.convio.net/site/R?i=I- hdBIN6ChJO-3BCLCXxIg.. http://jpl.convio.net/site/R? i=QKroV09E4GFO-3BCLCXxIg.. Guy Webster (818) ...

Excel chart into Word
I was wondering... Is it possible to copy an excel-chart directly into (an active instance of) word (as a vector-based image) at the place of the cursor using a macro-button? Preferably with a fixed size / set of colors to use. There are some examples on this web page, showing among other fun tricks how to copy a chart as a picture (metafile) and paste it at the cursor position in Word: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Neron wrote: > I...

charts #5
In Office 97, I used to be able to create a chart plotting temperature vs. time and date. Excel would automatically space out the time/date axis so thatit could clearly read, although all data points were not displayed. The only areas of concern were the start and stop times of the chart, however changing the look of the graph is not acceptable at this time. These charts was created with over 5000 data points. How do I only display a few data points without manually picking wach one. ...

Printing charts on multiple pages
Hi there, I've just made my first chart. There is a lot of data in it and as a result it is very long. When I do a print preview it is all on one page and I need it to be over 4 pages for it to be readable. I've tried making it into 4 individual charts but them you have to chose each one and print them individually. I've also tried pasting it into a "Chart Worksheet" but it still will only print on one page. I've also tried to play around with the page layout. Is there any way to set this up so that it will print over a number of pages? Thanks in advance for...

How do I create a stacked column/line chart combination?
I am trying to format a line/stacked column combination chart. I want to show the delay on each of several machines as a stacked column, and then I want to show a line representing the goal for the down time, the goal being a set value, so the line will be straight across. Simples way is to plot all the data, stacked columns plus one series for the horizontal line, as a stacked column chart. Select the series that should be the line, choose Chart Type on the Chart menu, and pick out a line chart style. A bit more involved is to add a line using an XY series of two points, or an XY s...

Chart: Point & Figures
Hi, I want to automate the drawing of Point & Figures Charts based on a simple pricelist that contains 2 rows; Date and price. Does anyyone know of any useful functionality in Excel, Add-Ins, shareware or anything else that I can use for this purpose? Thanks in advance. Hi, I have a page here that may help. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng8.htm Cheers Andy johannes wrote: > Hi, > > I want to automate the drawing of Point & Figures Charts > based on a simple pricelist that contains 2 rows; Date and > price. Does anyyone know of any useful functionality in...

Combo Box displays wrong number of drop-down lines when XP Style Theme is active
Hi, I'm trying to control the number of visible items of a combo box in a drop down state. I've used the following code to do it and it works just fine when the application does not use XP Style Theme. When the application uses the XP Style Theme the combo displays all the items. I reproduced this behavior in both win32 and MFC. ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #define RECT_DX(rect) (rect.right - rect.left) #define RECT_DY(rect) (rect.bottom - rect.top) RECT rect; // add items to the combo-box m_combo1.AddString("value1"); m_combo1.AddSt...

Avoiding empty cells showing as zero in line chart without na()
I'm using a line graph to show trends in a multi-question questionnaire. Like many else (I've done a lot of searching but haven't found a suitable solution) my line graph jumps to zero for the empty cells (currently defined as ""). I understand I could just change this to na() instead but then my average() calculation stops working. I have a lot of data so making two separate data-series is not feasible. Can anyone help me with a suggestion here? Thanks! It's not feasible to have parallel data ranges? It's more feasible to spend lots of time trying to workarou...

Adding a line to the line/column chart?
Is there anyway I can add a second line to the line/column chart? Basically I have 3 sets of data that I want to plot vs. time on the same graph. 1 using the column format, the other 2 being lines connected by data points. Create the chart using all the data, right click on the one you want to change to a line and select chart type from the dialogue box and choose the type you want. There are a few restrictions on the mix you can have though. -- John MOS Master Instructor Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Steven"...

Charting Data That can grow
i have a graph that uses data generated by access, but the problem i have is that the graph is setup using a XLT. i am capturing data by week, so each week that my graph is generated it will included more data how do i set it up so that the graph is adjusted accordingly. i was pointed to the following page but really dont understand it. http://tinyurl.com/2bqhk i have had a look and aint got a clue, what that meant..... my sheet containing the data is claaed: DATA and my sheet layout is as follows: [image: http://members.lycos.co.uk/redtilefc/1.jpg] i have looked at the calculation...

Chart Type HELP!
Hi, I still need help on the Chart Type thread that I posted a couple of hours ago under "Chart Type". It is URGENT--for a presentation for which I am already late!! Anybody?? Tx, Sat Hi Sat - Take a look at what I just posted and see if it helps. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Combination chart? Stacked cylinders and scatter
Hi, I want to make a stacked bar chart that also shows another data point as a single point along the stacked bar. Here is what I have so far '[img=http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/5372/chart7ur.th.jpg]' (http://img304.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart7ur.jpg) Here is what I want to accomplish: - don't show Sections where Length is zero -- right now the zero sections show with label and value on the right side of the cylinders - show another data point (from another cell in my sheet) as a single point along the stacked bar - show a final data point as the total of the bar len...

resize a chart using keyboard after pasting
Blind person needs to resize chart after copy and paste into another sheet. ...

chart frustrations
Good morning all. I'm trying to help my wife make a chart for a class she's taking, and it appears that it's been far too long since I did one. I'm using Excel 2007. I have a 3 point data set. There is a time element-- I want that set along the bottom, across the horizontal. There is a compound concentration element-- I want the concentration values in the vertical, at left. Then, my graph lines, should be the concetrations per time measure. Presently, my data on my excel sheet is organized as follows. Time 0 5 10 15 20 Conc.'s sample1 ...

Verticle line in an XY scatter chart
I am using Excel 2000 and creating an XY scatter chart. I can create a horizontal line easily enough, how can I place a verticle line or series in the chart in an exact location? I'm wanting to represent a verticle line at 4.5 points but of course creating a typical series produces horizontal data. Is there another way to represent this line vertically on my chart adding another series or otherwise? TIA George Hi George maybe the following link will help you http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineVertSeries.html Though it describes vertical lines for column and line charts on...

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

'POP Receipt Line Tax' Scribe Data object
Good Afternoon, Has anybody used the Scribe 'POP Receipt Line Tax' Data Object succesfully? I keep on getting an overflow error on the 'Tax Type' field (tinyint(1)). I have set the field to 0,1,TRUE(),FALSE() but I still get this overflow error. Does anybody know how to fix this? -- Business Analyst Great Plains Reports Plus Sonny, You may have to contact Scribe Software's technical support directly with this issue. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Sonny Pawchuk" wrot...

Value creation failed at line 422
Does anyone know the source of this error message and how to fix it? well, you have to provide more info than that before people here could provide possible solutions. Info like, what GP application? what window? what module? what are trying to do on that window? posting? printing? saving? do you have customizations? ---Darryl Bajaro "Phil" wrote: > Does anyone know the source of this error message and how to fix it? ...

No "Chart Option" feature in the Formatting Palette or when double click on Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have read a discussion board concerning this issue but it was from 2008 and no solution was offered yet. The problem is as follows: one creates a graph but cannot add a title or format the axis etc. <br><br>When I open a new spreadsheet and enter the data, I can create the graph. However, I cannot select the &quot;Chart Option&quot; to change any specific features. On the formatting palette I only get the "Page Setup" options but nothing relating to the chart and when I double click on the graph t...