stacked column chart #7

I have a stacked column chart and I added data labels showing values.  I want
the chart to graph the value with the column bars, but I would like to see
the percentages with those bars instead of the value.  For example, the total
for the column bar is 200 with the break down as such:  Group = 50,
Individual = 25 and Enterprise 125.  I want the stack bar to show a total of
200, but instead of the labels showing the value of 50, 25 and 125 for Group,
Individual and Enterprise, I want the labels to show 25% for Group (50/200),
12.5% (25/200) for Individual and 62.5% (125/200) for Enterprise.  Is this
possible?  I don't want to switch to the 100% stacked column chart as that
put everything at 100%.  I want to show the full value and then the
percentages within those sections.

Cj,

yes it is possible.

--
regards

"Conditional join" wrote:

> I have a stacked column chart and I added data labels showing values.  I want
> the chart to graph the value with the column bars, but I would like to see
> the percentages with those bars instead of the value.  For example, the total
> for the column bar is 200 with the break down as such:  Group = 50,
> Individual = 25 and Enterprise 125.  I want the stack bar to show a total of
> 200, but instead of the labels showing the value of 50, 25 and 125 for Group,
> Individual and Enterprise, I want the labels to show 25% for Group (50/200),
> 12.5% (25/200) for Individual and 62.5% (125/200) for Enterprise.  Is this
> possible?  I don't want to switch to the 100% stacked column chart as that
> put everything at 100%.  I want to show the full value and then the
> percentages within those sections.
0
driller (9)
3/3/2009 5:04:05 AM
Very helpful. Implicit in the "Can I?" was "How do I?"

Compute your percentages, or construct any custom labels in a worksheet
range, then use one of these free utilities to apply the text in this range
to the data labels in the chart:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools,
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

You can do it manually, but after about three labels it becomes very
tedious.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"driller" <driller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cj,
>
> yes it is possible.
>
> --
> regards
>
> "Conditional join" wrote:
>
>> I have a stacked column chart and I added data labels showing values.  I
>> want
>> the chart to graph the value with the column bars, but I would like to
>> see
>> the percentages with those bars instead of the value.  For example, the
>> total
>> for the column bar is 200 with the break down as such:  Group = 50,
>> Individual = 25 and Enterprise 125.  I want the stack bar to show a total
>> of
>> 200, but instead of the labels showing the value of 50, 25 and 125 for
>> Group,
>> Individual and Enterprise, I want the labels to show 25% for Group
>> (50/200),
>> 12.5% (25/200) for Individual and 62.5% (125/200) for Enterprise.  Is
>> this
>> possible?  I don't want to switch to the 100% stacked column chart as
>> that
>> put everything at 100%.  I want to show the full value and then the
>> percentages within those sections.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/3/2009 12:53:25 PM
Hi Driller,
Could you please tell me how to do it?  I also have the same problem...
Thanks!!

Louisa

"driller" wrote:

> Cj,
>
> yes it is possible.
>
> --
> regards
>
> "Conditional join" wrote:
>
> > I have a stacked column chart and I added data labels showing values.  I want
> > the chart to graph the value with the column bars, but I would like to see
> > the percentages with those bars instead of the value.  For example, the total
> > for the column bar is 200 with the break down as such:  Group = 50,
> > Individual = 25 and Enterprise 125.  I want the stack bar to show a total of
> > 200, but instead of the labels showing the value of 50, 25 and 125 for Group,
> > Individual and Enterprise, I want the labels to show 25% for Group (50/200),
> > 12.5% (25/200) for Individual and 62.5% (125/200) for Enterprise.  Is this
> > possible?  I don't want to switch to the 100% stacked column chart as that
> > put everything at 100%.  I want to show the full value and then the
> > percentages within those sections.
0
Louisa (1)
4/20/2009 2:35:02 PM
Compute your percentages, or construct any custom labels in a worksheet
range, then use one of these free utilities to apply the text in this range
to the data labels in the chart:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools,
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

You can change the labels manually, but after about three labels it becomes
very tedious.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

"Louisa" <Louisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Driller,
> Could you please tell me how to do it?  I also have the same problem...
> Thanks!!
>
> Louisa
>
> "driller" wrote:
>
>> Cj,
>>
>> yes it is possible.
>>
>> --
>> regards
>>
>> "Conditional join" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a stacked column chart and I added data labels showing values.
>> > I want
>> > the chart to graph the value with the column bars, but I would like to
>> > see
>> > the percentages with those bars instead of the value.  For example, the
>> > total
>> > for the column bar is 200 with the break down as such:  Group = 50,
>> > Individual = 25 and Enterprise 125.  I want the stack bar to show a
>> > total of
>> > 200, but instead of the labels showing the value of 50, 25 and 125 for
>> > Group,
>> > Individual and Enterprise, I want the labels to show 25% for Group
>> > (50/200),
>> > 12.5% (25/200) for Individual and 62.5% (125/200) for Enterprise.  Is
>> > this
>> > possible?  I don't want to switch to the 100% stacked column chart as
>> > that
>> > put everything at 100%.  I want to show the full value and then the
>> > percentages within those sections.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Copying Charts While Changing Source Data
I am an accountant and I have around 500 different accounts that I'm trying to keep a close eye on. What I would like to do is input the monthly data that I would like to keep an eye on...data such as variance from budget, variance from projection, etc. on one sheet and then put the charts on the other sheet. That way in order to really analyze the data I can actually see the trends. I can set up a chart and copy the chart...however, if all I do is copy the chart and paste...both charts will point to the same source data. When I copy and paste a chart I want the source data to b...

RU 7 IE Visual Studio Runtime Error
We just upgraded a CRM server to rollup 7 and now we're getting the following error when trying to use the web client on the server. Visual C++ Runtime Library Run Time Error C:\program files\Internet Explorer\IE ..Application has requested the RunTime terminate the application.... It then closes the Window and we can't access CRM even though it works on the workstation clients. Old School - any fix on this>? - I just started getting this after RU7 update Randall "Old School" wrote: > We just upgraded a CRM server to rollup 7 and now we're getting the...

merging text columns
I have imported a txt file that has column A= Name, B= Address, C= City and State. There is an open row between each each text row. I would like to merge the columns so the name is over the address, the city under the address, so it shows as a mailing label. I could then import it into a Word document and make mailing labels out of this file. I am very weak with Excel programming. Any help would be greatly appreciated! H Hugh: I don't think anyone will help you accomplish what you've asked for. :) That's because you should keep it in the format you have it, and use mail merge t...

Insert Row When Column Amount Changes
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0077_01C55029.B47561C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Here is an example of what I am talking about. A B C D=20 1 A B C D=20 2 2 41100 274 584=20 3 2 41100 274 625=20 4 2 41100 274 333=20 5 2 41100 274 102=20 6 2 41100 274 957=20 7 2 41100 274 362=20 8 2 41100 274 651=20 9 2 41100 274 611=20 10 2 41100 284 965=20 11 2 41100 284 336=20 12 2 41100 284 251=20 13 2 41100 284 362...

Data validation #7
Hi there I would like to create a liste of validation but not with texte but with pictures. But in the dropdownlist which I created with Data-Validation I can't get any of my pictures. Can anybody help me out ? Thanks in advance Ralf See if this page of John's helps: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Ralf Meuser" <rmeuser@free.fr> wrote in message news:4214b210$0$20541...

Converting From An XP Computer To A Windows 7 Computer
My new Windows 7 laptop will likely have Windows Live Mail already installed. My existing XP laptop has WLM installed as well. How do I make sure that my local folders, contact list and email settings (I have two email addresses) are transferred from my old computer to my new one in a way that will immediately synch with the installed WLM software? Please be as specific as possible. Go ahead and install WLM on your XP machine now and set up everything there. That will make your transition to the new W7 machine easiest. http://download.live.com You can File - Export from OE (?) ...

Combination Column and Stacked Column Chart in XL 2007
I would like to create a bar chart with International and Domestic sales data plotted against a total sales plan for Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 2008. I want the International and Domestic data to appear as a stacked colum with the planned sales data as a single bar next to the stacked column data. How do I do this? Data appears as follows: Total Bookings Domestic Bookings International Bookings Plan Q1 1 5 4 Q2 2 4 ...

Rotate the Pivot Chart?
When I right-click on a pivot table and choose Pivot Chart, it automatically creates a Pivot chart with the rows as x-axis, and columns as y-axis. How do I change the chart so that the rows are in y-axis and columns are in x-axis?! Hi, If I understand correctly: 1. you can change them by swapping the rows and column on the pivottable 2. you can drag the field buttons on the chart from the X-Axis area to the Legend area and the field button from the Legend area to the X-Axis. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Raghu" wrote: > When I right-click on a pivot table and choose Pivot...

Dynamically chart active row
I'm sure I saw a web page that showed how to create a dynamic chart that allowed you to move your cursor to any row and have the chart update with the data from that row. Does anyone know of a URL for something like this? Thanks! Patti Here is one I use to chart a column from a double click event in sheet code. This is more complicated that you need. I must leave the office for the day but can help tomorrow. Modify to suit. Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column > 1 And Target.Row = 3 Then [f1] = ActiveCell.Column - 1 &#...

email charts using Excel
Hi All, I need to automatically email(in a single mail) a number of charts(as embedded in the email-body) using Excel. I have coded in VBA such that Each chart is created in different workbook. How can I collate all of these and then send in a single mail?? Can somebody please help?? Take a look at the fine work done by Ron de Bruin in this area... his code is easily modifiable. www.rondebruin.nl Brad <utkarsh.varshney@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1171399430.874104.96750@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > I need to automatically email(in a single mail) a...

Inherited column collation
Hi, Just to clarify, my understanding is that all column collations are hardcoded and there is no inheritance structure. Is this correct, or does SQL know internally whether collation is inherited from the database default or whether it was explicitly specified for the column? i.e. one column is created using COLLATE database_default, one column doesn't specify a collation during creation and one column is created using COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AS (which is the default database). Is there any way to tell them apart? Does it make any difference to the schema? Sorry to ask ...

Cannot view data
I am having trouble viewing data from a spreadsheet on a network. Thi is a shared document that I can view fine on other workstations, bu when I attempt to open it up my own workstation all the columns are s wide I cannot grab them to pull them closer. Any idea why this would be? It must be something in my workstation' version of Excel causing this, since I can view it fine on othe workstations. Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. DocShoc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The first check would be to make sure your resolution is set high enoug by right cli...

Coverting a series of Cells In a Column to Rows
I have a list of organizations with Name, address, email etc. separated by ===================. How do I convert these series of text in cells to rows? Here is an example unfortunately, each group does not have the same amount of cells. American College of Medical Quality 4334 Montgomery Ave 2nd Fl Bethesda MD 20814 301-913-9149 phone 301-913-9142 fax acmq@acmq.org http://www.acmq.org acmq@aol.com Ms Bridget Brodie Executive VP ========================== American College of Medical Toxicology 777 E Park Dr; PO Box 8820 Harrisburg PA 17105-8820 717-558-7846 phone 717-558-7841 fax hmiller@pa...

Change text formatting of entire column
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002D_01C4CE14.D56880C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there an easy way to to convert a column from "text" to "number" = formatting in Excel. I know this seems like a simple question but hear = me out....=20 For example, column A has 10,000 rows of numbers that were formatted as = text so no summing or calculations will work. Simply highlighting the = column and changing the formatting to "number" does nothing unless you = ...

MFC add class dialog in VC++ 2003 (7.1)
Does the MFC add class dialog work in VC++ 2003 (7.1) ? I cannot get it to add the class for the new dialog that I just defined. This is very disturbing as it makes me wonder if we should consider rolling back to VC++ 6 (even with the awful tempplate support) since support for MFC appears to be almost non-existant. Thanks, Lynn McGuire You might try providing a little more detail as to what exactly happens when you try to add a dialog class. Yes, it works. I've used it. However, I've found the Visual Studio .NET 2003 IDE to be somewhat buggy and unreliable. -- Jonathan Wood So...

Anyone using their old A2K program with Windows 7?
Hi All, Just wondering how it's working. The Windows 7 compatibly lists don't say Office 2000 will work. Says to use the "paid upgrade" to 2007. Nothing specific about Access, so just wondered if anyone is still using their old A2K with the new Windows 7 and if so, how's it working? TIA me "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in news:spq4l515rvg89rjsqua89jimkche1d9ogg@4ax.com: > "Me" <yeahright@nospamplease.com> wrote: > >>Just wondering how it's working. >> >>The Win...

Time Formula #7
I was given a file that looks like this: Day of Wk Time Number of Minutes Tuesday 1148A 3 Tuesday 1151A 1 Wednesday 0301P 1 Sunday 1202P 5 Saturday 0530P 2 Monday 0542P 10 Trying to determin how many minutes were spent on the phone during non-work days/times (M-F, 8-5) 1. How do I convert the time into a useable format? 2. Please help w/formula =TIME(LEFT(A6,2),MID(A6,3,2),0)+(RIGHT(A6)="P")*0.5 and format as time. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Cindy Smith" <CindySmith@discussions....

error #7
We oftenly facing error by sending e-mail with our "OUTLOOK EXPRESS" The error appears to be this following code : - SMTP - Connection : 0 - Savety : SSL - Error : 0x800c0131 Thank you for your kind advise , regards, John T Hi This message often appears if one or more of the .dbx files is corrupted or missing as per the following knowledge base article. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 233264 OLEXP: Error Message If the Folders.dbx File Is Missing or Damaged This talks about the error code that you are getting so should be a place to start... Regards Davidt P.s This ...

Bar Chart with Vertical Line
I have a Bar Chart with Character data in the Y axis and numeric data in the X axis. I want to put a vertical line on the chart. I have reviewed Jon Peltier's documents on putting horizontal and vertical lines on Column Charts, but haven't been able to get it to work for Bar Charts. Can someone assist? Thanks, Barb Hi Barb, Have a look at my average line example. There is a sheet detailing methods for Bar charts. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Barb Reinhardt wrote: > I have a Bar Chart with Character data in the Y axis and numeric data in t...

Labels in a chart
I am using Excel 2007. I have to do a weekly chart labeled: SALES FOR WEEK #39. Is there a way to update the chart so when I change next weeks chart, the graph will update to : SALES FOR WEEK #40. Right now, I have to manually go to each chart and change WEEK #39 TO WEEK $40 and so on. Find and replace works great where I have text but won't touch the charts. Thanks from a newbie. Hi You could link the chart title to a cell. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Charles Eaves" <charles.eaves...

Can I paste a chart from Excel into a powerpoint slide "Placeholde
I have a macro to transfer Excel graphs into PowerPoint slides, which works fine, but the pasted graphs (pictures) are (with original shape pasted across teh slide. I would like them to get pasted into the "Placeholder" that is automatically created on a new slide. Anyone have an idea how to get this done? Thanks in advance Mats Sub TransferGraphs() ' ' TransferGraphs Macro ' Transfer all graphs on selected worksheet as pictures to PPT file ' Dim PPApp As PowerPoint.Application Dim PPPres As PowerPoint.Presentation Dim PPSlide As PowerPoint.Slide Dim Presentat...

Rows to Columns #2
Hi I have been looking for a way to transfer a row of data to a column i.e. a1 to a1 b1 to a2 c1 to a3 etc. is there a process or formulae available Hi have a look at 'Edit - Paste Special - Transpose' for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:157DB0F6-17A0-4EF1-B171-E7723A18ED1B@microsoft.com... > Hi > I have been looking for a way to transfer a row of data to a column i.e. a1 to a1 b1 to a2 c1 to a3 etc. is there a process or formulae available Another option .. Assuming your orig...

In excel, column headings displaying as numbers
All of a sudden my column headings are displaying as numbers instead of the "A, B, C" that I am used to. How can I change them back? Tools>options>general>settings>r1c1 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "millguy" <millguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7934D0CC-8DE9-480E-A75A-36DDA559254D@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden my column headings are displaying as numbers instead of the > "A, B, C" that I am used to. How can I change them back? Hi tools / options / general - untick R1C1 reference style ...

Bar chart & Category (x) axis labels
If you make a bar chart in Excel 2003, and have two columns of text as Category (x) axis labels, the first column is shown vertical and the text in the second column is shown horizontal in the chart. If you open/make the same chart in Excel 97, the text in both columns is shown horizontal. If there is a lot of text, it becomes unreadable when it's vertical. Is this by design or can it be fixed somehow? ...

Database Errors with Updgrade to Windows 7
Several of our databases are experiencing the following issues that have occurred with the upgrade to Windows 7: 1. I (the owner) of a database am no longer allowed to edit the switchboard. 2. Some of the tables/forms won't allow adding new records. 3. When opening a table/form to add new records, records don't get saved and don't appear when e-mailed or printed. Has anyone had these similar problems? "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8228A2F4-C1BC-466C-AC30-78265943C8B5@microsoft.com... > Several of our dat...