Sorting in excel charts

I have a chart in excel 2007
I want to sort rows 1-5 decending
and rows 6-11 decending
but when I select just that much and click to sort
it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection
is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart
0
gb0dms (3)

I cannot reproduce the problem.  When I select 5 cells out of 11 in a column
Excel 2007 does not automatically change the selection.
--
Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com

"gb0dms" wrote:

> I have a chart in excel 2007
> I want to sort rows 1-5 decending
> and rows 6-11 decending
> but when I select just that much and click to sort
> it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection
> is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart
"blue bounding chart selection"

Hmm, is it a Pivot Table, or perhaps a Table? These cannot be subdivided and
treated as separate entities.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

"gb0dms" <gb0dms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a chart in excel 2007
> I want to sort rows 1-5 decending
> and rows 6-11 decending
> but when I select just that much and click to sort
> it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection
> is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/8/2009 3:43:37 AM
not a piviot table if you use the insert chart function in either powerpoint
or word (2007) it will create a blue bounding box for your selected data
but someone here figured it out
so if anyone else has this problem you can fix it by changeing the datat to
a range which is done by
Table | Design | Tools | Convert to Range

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> "blue bounding chart selection"
>
> Hmm, is it a Pivot Table, or perhaps a Table? These cannot be subdivided and
> treated as separate entities.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
> Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> _______
>

> "gb0dms" <gb0dms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a chart in excel 2007
> > I want to sort rows 1-5 decending
> > and rows 6-11 decending
> > but when I select just that much and click to sort
> > it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection
> > is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart

0
gb0dms (3)

Strange Excel Problem.....
Hi there, We are facing one very strange excel problem in our organization.We have purchased new IBM thinkcenter 851 desktops for our Managers.We have installed Windows 2000 professional as operating system and Office 97 as office in that pcs.Now we are facing one very strange problem....Normally when you click on "New" shortcut( I mean right click anywhere and select "new" option),you will find "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" as shortcut listed in that option and when you select it new excel worksheet will be opened.But here,whenever i click on "new"...

Excel remembers! How?
I type in "FRENCH"(no quatos) in cell A1 The I type in ENGLISH in cell b1 When I get back to cell a2 and type in the letter F the etxt is completed and it says FRENCH How does this happen/what is it called/how do you turn it OFF Thanks for the help Ian, It is called "AutoCompletion". To turn it off, go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Edit tab. There, uncheck the "Enable AutoComplete for cell values" options. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "ian&qu...

Global Footers in Excel
Does anyone know how to take an Excel workbook that has multiple worksheets and create a footer (say one that lists the page number, the tab name, and the file name), and make that footer a "global footer" such that I don't have to set the footer for some 10 to 20 worksheets when they're practically identical? Thanks. DTP David Right-click on one worksheet tab and "select all sheets". Set up your footer on the active sheet and these settings will be replicated on all sheets. DO NOT FORGET to right-click and "ungroup sheets" when done. What you ...

Dynamic Chart Titles #2
Hello, I am having a problem with a dynamic chart title and saving, closing and then re-opening the workbook and the chart title still being dynamic. On Sheet2 of my workbook I have some drop-down menus in cells B2:E2. On Sheet7 of my workbook in cells BA1:BA3 I have Concatenation formulas that I want to use as my Chart titles. For example: =CONCATENATE("This is my " Sheet2!$B$2, " ", "chart.") I named the ranges on Sheet7, BA1 is named "FAC", BA2 is named "POD" and BA3 is named "NAF". I then added a text box to my first char...

How do I copy a chart made in Excel to Powerpoint?
I have created a number of charts in Excel that I need to export to Powerpoint for a presentation. I also want to turn each graph into a jpeg or pdf file for publication. How do I do this? For sharing charts in Office 2003 or earlier: Using Excel with Other Office Applications http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html Office 2007 throws some wrenches into the gears. To export charts as image files: Enhanced Export Chart Procedurehttp://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/06/09/enhanced-export-chart-procedure/ Use PDF or GIF, which are optimized for line art, not JPG, which is optimized fo...

Excel 2007 Chart SeriesCollection(1).Interior.ColorIndex
I thought I had posted this already, but can't find it. Sorry if it's a duplicate. I have the following code that was written in Excel 2003. Every time I run it in Excel 2007 it crashes. I can't find anything about changing the colors of a series in an Excel 2007 chart. Also, when I try to record a macro to change the chart colors to gain insight, nothing gets written to the macro regarding the color change. Help! Sheets("Chart1").SeriesCollection(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 5 ...

excel 2007 installation
Hello: I used to have Excel XP and I install Excel 2007. Problem: I want to ger rid of the personalized features I have in XP and install Excell 2077 with the default parameters as it come from the manufacturer. Please help. Elitor Did you try just uninstalling the Excel XP version first? If so, did that not help? I've not tried this so I'd like to know! "Elitor" <Elitor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C1B1E5E-0EAA-42EB-8CC2-5A228ADF8578@microsoft.com... > Hello: > I used to have Excel XP and I install Excel 2007. > Problem: I want to ...

Area Charts With Negative Numbers
I'm curious if anyone has had success trying to design an area chart as described below: 1) The graph depicts annual benchmarks / net returns (Y-AXIS) versus year (X-AXIS). 2) I have three arrays for benchmarks. Array 1 is the bottom quartile, array 2 is the median and array 3 is the top quartile. If you picture the entire graph, these three arrays break up the chart into four regions. Everything below array 1 is the bottom quartile. Everything between array 1 and array 2 is the 3rd quartile. Everything between array 2 and array 3 is the 2nd quartile and everything above array 3 is th...

Excel Caused Error in VBE6.dll. Excel will Close
When trying to open Excel 2000 (Office Professional) / Windows ME the above message appeared and Excel would not open. Renaming the VBE6.DLL file and then repair and then reinstal Office did not work as the original dated VBE6.DLL file reappeared Has anyone had the sme problem? If so did you find a workable solution? ... and what was it? ...

Line chart colors #2
Can someone explain where the colors for line charts are being pulled from? We have a standard template that is pulled in, but the colors are being changed and I haven't been able to figure out any logical reason for the color choices. Some are coming from our custom color palette, but others aren't in the custom, standard or theme palettes. The markers are coming out with the correct colors, though. ...

Excel Jululian 04-28-10
Good morning please help can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) regrads yes george, if thats what you want to do. RegMigrant "George A. Jululian" wrote: > Good morning > > please help > > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) > > regrads oh, go on then two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so can (kind of) keep itself up to date. I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:- got to Start, run type "cmd" wi...

Cursor highlights the wrong rows in excel?
I find that I have to select 3 rows above the row I want to highlight in excel. This carries forward when selecting multiple rows. My mouse is always about 3 lines above the cells being acted upon. ...

Bubble chart will not pick X series
I am trying to draw a bubble chart. The X values are dates in the next few years. However when the graph i drawn, these X values are ignored, and Excel uses the row number of th cell containing the data instead. I can confirm this by moving the pointer over the bubbles. The labe that pops up says <Point "01/01/09" (50, 6%)>, when really it should b <Point 50 ("01/01/09", 6%)>. Has anyone seen this before? it's the second time it happens to me i different files. Thanks in advanc -- lupocattiv ------------------------------------------------------------...

Pie Chart (excel 2003)
How do I hide the 0% of the pie chart so that they only show the relevant %? If you mean on the pie then double click the data labels and choose the Number tab, choose Custom and enter the following code on the Type line on the right: 0%;[=0]""; -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Xueling" wrote: > How do I hide the 0% of the pie chart so that they only show the relevant %? Thanks! It does look better. But is there a way to not show the data lable of those 0% as well? "ShaneDevenshire" wrote: > If you mean on the pie then double click the data labels ...

How can a set an alarm in Excel?
I don't know if this is possible, but I figured I would ask: I have a spreadsheet that I work with that shows the schedules of my students; each different place my student goes has its own row, so a student may have many rows if they have many activities. currently, i auto filter the day column to the current day so i can see what students have activities on that day, and when/where they are. i was wondering if i could set an alarm on the column labeled 'start time' that would pop a window up when any value in that cell matched the system time... is this possible?? thanks, -...

Excel 2007 sorting problem
In Excel 2007, every time I change ranges, and even sometimes when I move away from a range and then come back to an old range, I have to re-enter the sort parameters every time. In Excel 2003, and for some versions before, if I sorted a selected range (say A4:Q54) by Col A Asc, Col G Asc, and Col C Desc then Excel would remember the sort parameters so that if I changed ranges to say A60:Q100 it would keep those same parameters loaded and I could just simply sort my data without having to re-enter the sort parameters all over again. Please direct me to where I can get some help on this issue...

Graphic features of EXCEL..........
Hi, I want to display the table data on Pivot GRAPH from two different sheets. How should we do that? Any advice will be great. Bill ...

Excel text to Word text
How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed English I don't believe you can copy and paste without the gridlines. However, in Word, select the data and Table>Convert>Table to Text. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Ed" <ee15803@att.net> wrote in message news:3f7e21e9.53324199@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying > over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks &g...

saving excel file with it's add in
Hi, I have an Excel file that uses a formula from an add in installed in m computer (*.xla). How can I save the project including the add in in order to use it i another computer that doesn't have the add in. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you really mean that your workbook uses a function that's in the addin? If yes, I think you have two choices. #1. Take the addin with you (and install it on the other pc). #2. Extract the code/procedure for that function from the addin and put it in your workbook. (If the addin's project is protected, then thi...

Charts That Communicate Progress
I am trying to select charts that will lend themselves well to communicating progress. For example, Pie Charts don't tend to be a good way for communicating progress whereas another type of Chart might be more effective. In other words here is where we were, here is where we are, and here is where we want to be. What would you recommend? Hi, Sounds like you need some sort of Gannt chart. Dave "Workbook" wrote: > I am trying to select charts that will lend themselves well to communicating > progress. For example, Pie Charts don't tend to be a good way for ...

Re: Excel Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C5D5BA.E1DDCCD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some sheets 1;2;3;4; ETC................. I would like the new page list release with one botton: A1-Nome de sheet(1;2;3;4; ETC) A2-Date(C50:C80) A3-Import (D50:D90) Best regards Marcello "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> ha scritto nel = messaggio=20 news:uk86X7v0FHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Marcello, > > I am not absolutely clear as to what you...

Connecting two series in a scatter chart
Hello - I have a user who created a scatter chart. The chart contains two series: "HO" and "PD" - the HO data point has a related PD data point. She would like to have Excel add a connector line from the HO data point to the corresponding PD data point. Is this possible? I apologize that I am not familiar with this type of chart, or the lingo, so please let me know what other information you would need to answer this question. We are using Excel 2007. Thanks very much! Hi, Double-click one of the series, in the format series dialog box choose the Options tab, and ch...

Specifying chart graph
How can I specify on the same chart which fields I want to be displayed as Column and which fields I want to be displayed as Line? I have over seven fields. Let's say I want columns B through E to be columns and the other columns to be lines. Thanks in advance. Forget about the built-in custom types. Make a column chart. Then select a series you want to change to a line, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and choose a line style. Select another you want to change and press the F4 function key, and repeat as required. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials a...

Excel Calculations Open in Manual Occasionally
MSOffice 2003, WinXP. When I open Excel, the Calculation Option defaults to Manual instead of remaining on Automatic. Is this a bug in Excel? I never set it to Manual. Thoughts can be posted or sent rich32822(Remove this)@hotmail.com. Regards, If the first workbook you open is set to manual it will change the setting for other workbooks as well meaning that if someone is sending you a workbook with this set, you open it by opening the attachment and Excel opens. Then you close this particular workbook and you open a new workbook, this workbook will now be set to manual -- Regards,...

Excel Table to Individual product list and spend
Hi, Basically I have an Excel data table and I have a Product name drop down list. I want to create a formula or macro so when a Product is selected, it would output the list of companies and their spend with the product. Below is a sample but the real spreadsheet has thousands of vendor names and spend for each product and there are probably ten product names altogether. Company Product1 Product2 Product3 Product4 Total ABC 7,009 8,000 15,009 Key 805,036 805,036 PC 56,016 57,470 568 114,054 Water 3,090 651 298,250 301,991 Total 66,115 863,157 306,818 -...