Showing x,y coordinates of a line

Hi,
I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show me
the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something as
unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
appreciate any help possible.
Thank you.

0
smylegirl (7)

As a retired chemistry prof I cannot think why you would want to do this. I
think you need to find the equation of the line and compute y for some given
x, or x for some given y. Please tell us more about the project.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
> able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show
> me
> the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something
> as
> unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
> I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
> appreciate any help possible.
> Thank you.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
5/2/2007 4:51:19 PM
What version of Excel? What chart type? If I make an XY chart (the only
chart type you should make in chemistry class) in Excel 2003, I get the
series name as well as the (x,y) coordinates when I mouse over the points.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
> able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show
> me
> the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something
> as
> unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
> I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
> appreciate any help possible.
> Thank you.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/2/2007 5:47:20 PM
On Wed, 2 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Smylegirl <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
>able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show me
>the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something as
>unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.

You're using the "Line" chart type, in which your "x coordinates" are
just being strung out in a row like bottles on a shelf.  You would have
got into difficulties if you used that as your graphical display of your
lab results. Try changing the chart type to "XY (Scatter)", and trying
again. Your mouse should report something like "Series 1 (3,10)" instead
of "Series 1 Value: 10)", which is what you get with the line chart. The
chart will now show the lab results in their proper proportions.

>I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
>appreciate any help possible.

Now the bad news. All you'll get with this solution I propose is the
same data values you typed in, when you hover over the data points. You
won't get interpolated values by hovering over the connecting lines. For
that you should, as Bernard says, use the spreadsheet cells and some
arithmetic to calculate a model of how you think the chemical system is
behaving. Using the model, you can then "predict" what y should be for
each value of x.

Or you could just print the graph out on paper and do what we old people
used to do before they had computers, and use a ruler and pencil to draw
the lines and find the values :-)

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
5/2/2007 6:55:54 PM
We created a buret correction graph for titration lab and then we titrated a
solution.  Now we are trying to figure out the actual amounts dispensed to
figure out the precentage of the unknown weak acid.  I have the buret
correction graph and I need to use the actual correction amounts when doing
the equations to figure the precentages.   The reason i wanted the x,y
coordinates was because our graph has the data points at 10, 20, 30 mL and so
for forth but the actual amounts that were needed for the titration were not
those exact amounts.  So I need to know exactly how much to use for the
correction amount at the point of the line that corresponds to the amount
that we used for each titration.  If I brake the graph up into sections I can
use the equation of each slope (the line from 0-10, 0-20, etc.) but it would
just be a lot nicer to have the computer do it for me so then I could plug
the numbers into the equation that I need.  I am pretty sure I have seen it
done but I can't seem to get it to work for me.
I hope that makes sense.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this dilema!
Crystal :-)

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> As a retired chemistry prof I cannot think why you would want to do this. I
> think you need to find the equation of the line and compute y for some given
> x, or x for some given y. Please tell us more about the project.
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
> > able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show
> > me
> > the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something
> > as
> > unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
> > I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
> > appreciate any help possible.
> > Thank you.

0
smylegirl (7)
5/2/2007 7:01:02 PM
yes I am using an xy graph and I get the series name but all I get are the
main data points that I typed into my list that I used to make the graph
instead of the the coodinates at any point where I hover my cursor which is
what I am trying to get.  According to another replie I may be trying to get
something I can't have...not quite sure, though I know I have seen it work
before I just don't remember how or in what context.  For example instead of
just getting (10, 0.0128) I want to be able to hover my cursor at the actual
amount I used and get the coordinates that correspond to that like (7.35,
0.135).
Thanks for your response,
Crystal :-)

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> What version of Excel? What chart type? If I make an XY chart (the only
> chart type you should make in chemistry class) in Excel 2003, I get the
> series name as well as the (x,y) coordinates when I mouse over the points.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
> > able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show
> > me
> > the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something
> > as
> > unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
> > I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
> > appreciate any help possible.
> > Thank you.

0
smylegirl (7)
5/2/2007 7:15:00 PM
Del,
Ok I was using the xy scattor graph connected with a line and yes all it
gives me are the main data points I put in.  I have no idea how to do the
second part that you mentioned about using arthimatic to create a model and
entering that into the spreadsheet data so I'll probably end up isolating the
chunk of the graph that fits the correction volume I need, getting the
equation of the line and work from there with pen and calculator.  I don't
mind doing it that way, just thought it would nice to be able to just hold my
mouse where I need it, get a number and plug it into the equation.  I guess
these lovely technological devices have their limits!
Thanks for your response.
Crystal :-)

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Smylegirl <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should be
> >able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would show me
> >the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or something as
> >unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
>
> You're using the "Line" chart type, in which your "x coordinates" are
> just being strung out in a row like bottles on a shelf.  You would have
> got into difficulties if you used that as your graphical display of your
> lab results. Try changing the chart type to "XY (Scatter)", and trying
> again. Your mouse should report something like "Series 1 (3,10)" instead
> of "Series 1 Value: 10)", which is what you get with the line chart. The
> chart will now show the lab results in their proper proportions.
>
> >I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
> >appreciate any help possible.
>
> Now the bad news. All you'll get with this solution I propose is the
> same data values you typed in, when you hover over the data points. You
> won't get interpolated values by hovering over the connecting lines. For
> that you should, as Bernard says, use the spreadsheet cells and some
> arithmetic to calculate a model of how you think the chemical system is
> behaving. Using the model, you can then "predict" what y should be for
> each value of x.
>
> Or you could just print the graph out on paper and do what we old people
> used to do before they had computers, and use a ruler and pencil to draw
> the lines and find the values :-)
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
smylegirl (7)
5/2/2007 7:23:02 PM
For the calibration x is the 'reading' and y is the 'actual' amount
dispensed by the buret.
Why not fit the data to a polynomial in the form y=ax^3+bx^2+cX+d (I would
expect a cubic would do) See my website for using LINEST to get a,b,c,d:
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
Then put in the x value and find the y for the titration.
Do all this with a spreadsheet
best wishes
--

> We created a buret correction graph for titration lab and then we titrated
> solution.  Now we are trying to figure out the actual amounts dispensed to
> figure out the precentage of the unknown weak acid.  I have the buret
> correction graph and I need to use the actual correction amounts when
> doing
> the equations to figure the precentages.   The reason i wanted the x,y
> coordinates was because our graph has the data points at 10, 20, 30 mL and
> so
> for forth but the actual amounts that were needed for the titration were
> not
> those exact amounts.  So I need to know exactly how much to use for the
> correction amount at the point of the line that corresponds to the amount
> that we used for each titration.  If I brake the graph up into sections I
> can
> use the equation of each slope (the line from 0-10, 0-20, etc.) but it
> would
> just be a lot nicer to have the computer do it for me so then I could plug
> the numbers into the equation that I need.  I am pretty sure I have seen
> it
> done but I can't seem to get it to work for me.
> I hope that makes sense.
> Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this dilema!
> Crystal :-)
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> As a retired chemistry prof I cannot think why you would want to do this.
>> think you need to find the equation of the line and compute y for some
>> given
>> x, or x for some given y. Please tell us more about the project.
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>
>> "Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should
>> > be
>> > able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would
>> > show
>> > me
>> > the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or
>> > something
>> > as
>> > unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
>> > I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
>> > appreciate any help possible.
>> > Thank you.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
5/2/2007 7:24:41 PM
You only get the data points you entered, The line connects adjacent points
but has no intrinsic values to display. For that you'd have to do some kind
of interpolation or curve fitting, and Bernard first suggested.

- Jon
-------

> yes I am using an xy graph and I get the series name but all I get are the
> main data points that I typed into my list that I used to make the graph
> instead of the the coodinates at any point where I hover my cursor which
> is
> what I am trying to get.  According to another replie I may be trying to
> get
> something I can't have...not quite sure, though I know I have seen it work
> before I just don't remember how or in what context.  For example instead
> of
> just getting (10, 0.0128) I want to be able to hover my cursor at the
> actual
> amount I used and get the coordinates that correspond to that like (7.35,
> 0.135).
> Thanks for your response,
> Crystal :-)
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> What version of Excel? What chart type? If I make an XY chart (the only
>> chart type you should make in chemistry class) in Excel 2003, I get the
>> series name as well as the (x,y) coordinates when I mouse over the
>> points.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a graph of some data points and I was pretty sure that I should
>> > be
>> > able to run my mouse along the line and wherever I stopped it would
>> > show
>> > me
>> > the x,y coordinates.  But instead I just get (series 1, 10) or
>> > something
>> > as
>> > unhelpful as that depending on there I am on the line.
>> > I really need this data for a chemistry lab I am doing and I would
>> > appreciate any help possible.
>> > Thank you.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/2/2007 7:54:20 PM
Thank you for your response and the links.  Unfortuately the math is a little
beyond on current grasp and so while I tried to follow the directions i got a
little lost and ended with numbers I have no idea how to use, so i have no
way of knowing if they are even close to being right.  I have placed the
links in my favorites though and i plan on spending more time with this to
see if i can make sense of it for this use.  I am sure you are on the right
track because one of my fellow students said something about some cubic
formula and did something on his calculator last night just giving me a hard
time but alas i had no idea what he was talking about either.  Love the
chemisty, get the concepts, struggle with the math, especially anything
beyond the last level of precalc that I took too many years ago.  I am saying
this because I can't say that you solved my problem exactly but maybe given
some more and study I might be able to use the info you sent so I appreciate
your time.

Thanks again,
crystal :-)

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> For the calibration x is the 'reading' and y is the 'actual' amount
> dispensed by the buret.
> Why not fit the data to a polynomial in the form y=ax^3+bx^2+cX+d (I would
> expect a cubic would do) See my website for using LINEST to get a,b,c,d:
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
> Then put in the x value and find the y for the titration.
> Do all this with a spreadsheet
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We created a buret correction graph for titration lab and then we titrated
> > solution.  Now we are trying to figure out the actual amounts dispensed to
> > figure out the precentage of the unknown weak acid.  I have the buret
> > correction graph and I need to use the actual correction amounts when
> > doing
> > the equations to figure the precentages.   The reason i wanted the x,y
> > coordinates was because our graph has the data points at 10, 20, 30 mL and
> > so
> > for forth but the actual amounts that were needed for the titration were
> > not
> > those exact amounts.  So I need to know exactly how much to use for the
> > correction amount at the point of the line that corresponds to the amount
> > that we used for each titration.  If I brake the graph up into sections I
> > can
> > use the equation of each slope (the line from 0-10, 0-20, etc.) but it
> > would
> > just be a lot nicer to have the computer do it for me so then I could plug
> > the numbers into the equation that I need.  I am pretty sure I have seen
> > it
> > done but I can't seem to get it to work for me.
> > I hope that makes sense.
> > Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this dilema!
> > Crystal :-)
> >
> > "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
> >
> >> As a retired chemistry prof I cannot think why you would want to do this.
> >> think you need to find the equation of the line and compute y for some
> >> given
> >> x, or x for some given y. Please tell us more about the project.
> >> best wishes
> >> --
> >> Bernard V Liengme
> >> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> >> remove caps from email
> >>
> >> "Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
smylegirl (7)
5/2/2007 7:57:05 PM
Crystal
>I have no idea how to do the second part that you mentioned about using
>arthimatic to create a model and entering that into the spreadsheet
>data so I'll probably end up isolating the chunk of the graph that fits
>the correction volume I need, getting the equation of the line and work
>from there with pen and calculator.

That's a kind of model, just a local one restricted to the area you're
interested in :-)  By using the spreadsheet I just meant using the
formulas in cells the way you would punch numbers into your calculator.
I miss my old calculator, but since it died I never bought a
replacement. I just start up Excel instead and doodle as if it were a
pen and paper with a calculator built in.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> Crystal
> >I have no idea how to do the second part that you mentioned about using
> >arthimatic to create a model and entering that into the spreadsheet
> >data so I'll probably end up isolating the chunk of the graph that fits
> >the correction volume I need, getting the equation of the line and work
> >from there with pen and calculator.
>
> That's a kind of model, just a local one restricted to the area you're
> interested in :-)  By using the spreadsheet I just meant using the
> formulas in cells the way you would punch numbers into your calculator.
> I miss my old calculator, but since it died I never bought a
> replacement. I just start up Excel instead and doodle as if it were a
> pen and paper with a calculator built in.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
smylegirl (7)
5/2/2007 9:05:00 PM
yes I guess that is my answer, though certainly not the one I was hoping for!
 Oh well I guess it's back to the pen and paper for me since I really don't
know if I'll be able to figure out the interpolation enough to do it
correctly and show my lab partner before it's due!  Time will tell I guess.
 At least I know it's not just some little radio box I am not clicking or
something simple like that.  Thanks so much for your help on this.
Crystal  :-)

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You only get the data points you entered, The line connects adjacent points
> but has no intrinsic values to display. For that you'd have to do some kind
> of interpolation or curve fitting, and Bernard first suggested.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes I am using an xy graph and I get the series name but all I get are the
> > main data points that I typed into my list that I used to make the graph
> > instead of the the coodinates at any point where I hover my cursor which
> > is
> > what I am trying to get.  According to another replie I may be trying to
> > get
> > something I can't have...not quite sure, though I know I have seen it work
> > before I just don't remember how or in what context.  For example instead
> > of
> > just getting (10, 0.0128) I want to be able to hover my cursor at the
> > actual
> > amount I used and get the coordinates that correspond to that like (7.35,
> > 0.135).
> > Thanks for your response,
> > Crystal :-)
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> What version of Excel? What chart type? If I make an XY chart (the only
> >> chart type you should make in chemistry class) in Excel 2003, I get the
> >> series name as well as the (x,y) coordinates when I mouse over the
> >> points.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Smylegirl" <smylegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
smylegirl (7)

sales line item workflow and process holds and requested ship date
It would be nice if we could set up workflow tracking per line item as well as assign process holds per line item in Sales Trx Entry. It would also be nice to have the abilility to fulfill all items on an order through a specified requested ship date and leave items with future requested ship dates unfulfilled. Then to be able to transfer and ship items that have been fulfilled without having to fulfill those with future requested ship dates. Right now I have to backorder those items that have future requested ship dates just so I can transfer and fulfill the other items on the order...

unwanted Lines and characters showing up in publisher documents
When I open a document made in Publisher 2000, unwanted characters and lines appear next to the text. When I go to print the document the characters do not show up in the print but they are not all erasable as they appear in the document Is this a new occurance? Have you tried updating your video drivers? Publisher can do some really strange things because of video driver issues. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "cc" <cc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:471001c4905f$da81d090$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I open a document made in Publisher ...

How to insert a page break every 10 lines
Hi, I have been stumped on this one. I have been trying to write a macr for days on inserting a page break every 10 lines and haven't been abl to figure it out. I will have have to write a macro to insert a blan row every two lines. Thanks, Ev ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Eva, The following code will insert a page break every 10 rows. Change the values of StartRow and EndRow to meet your needs. Dim RowNdx As Long Dim StartRow As Long ...

email subject line
Is there a safe way to remove that ugly guid from the the subject line of direct mails? I'm using crm 1.2. I'm getting ~30% mail bouncing back. I'm sure it's because of the guid... Thanks, Mike Read the following article on turning off the guid. http://mbs.microsoft.com/techknowledge/techknowledge.asp?id=34747&target=PS Be aware of the ramifications of doing so; mainly you lose the functionality of the CRM to automtically process retrun e-mails in your thread. Yes they're ugly, but they are there for a reason. Dave "mikieg_99" <mike.gallagher@no...

Meeting
When I set up a meeting and list the attendees, these individuals do not get a option to accept or decline. I have requested a response. Whats wrong Are you sending using Outlook Rich Text Format? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Deb asked: | When I set up a meeting and list the attendees, these | individuals do not get a option to accept or decline...

Allow Multiple Values check box not showing up
I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup Wizard, but when I get to the place where is should let me choose to store multiple values for the lookup that section does not come up. I went online and printed the instructions off the help page so I know I am doing it right. Help! IMO, multivalued and lookup fields are not a good idea. You didn't mention what version of Access you are using. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mschurter" wrote: > I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup > ...

Compound Lookup Field Only Showing First Field
Hello, I am using a lookup field for name and the name is broken into two fields - FirstName and LastName. When selecting the name from the drop down, I see both first and last names, but after selecting, I only see the first name. For visual reasons, I would like to see the first and last names in the form. I am using Access 2007, but believe this issue is in previous versions as well. I am open to suggestions and appreciate your help, Chris Hello Chris. "Chris" wrote: > I am using a lookup field for name and the name is broken into two > fields - FirstName and LastNa...

Rotating a line chart?
Is it possible to rotate a line chart so it looks like a vertical chart rather than a horizontal chart? And if so, once it is rotated, can one still interact with the chart and it's data? Thank you. Visit Excel Tips and Cases http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html and scroll down to 'Invert and rotate charts' The direct link http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/0201-chart%20invert%20and% 20rotate.pdf is almost certain to change in the near future. The above applies to a XY Scatter chart. Hopefully, you can use that instead of a line chart. -- Regards, Tusha...

Combining Stack bar and Line Charts
I'm trying to display 2 sets of data within the same chart; I want to display yr 1 data in a stacked bar format and yr 2 data in a line format. Both data sets would use the same axis; month and volume. I need to distinctively display each mo/yr together to show any increases or decreases in volume. Any suggestions you have are appreciated! -- tibor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tibor's Profile: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=156 View this thread: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1...

RA's showing on Invoices
Does anyone know if there is a way to apply a return to an invoice, and have that reflected on the invoice balance? If I remember basic accounting from many years ago, an invoice is the record of a specific transaction for an account and a statement is the record of the activity, over a period of time, for an account. You are trying to mix the two. I don't know of any way to do this - perhpas someone else will chime in with a brilliant workaround. -- Lyle U Kelly wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to apply a return to an invoice, > and have that reflected on the i...

Contact not showing up in Global Address List
I have created some contacts for people out outside the company that everyone in the company should see. The contacts are not show up in the GAL. But they are showing up in the All Contacts list. The client is Outlook 2003. It is the client or the setup in AD .. Any help would be great Make sure that your GAL filter includes contacts. If it does, there will be the following filter (objectClass=contact) "Mat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29cef01c465d2$301708d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have created some contacts for people out outside the ...

Access 2003 Command-line /WRKGRP Not Working
Even though I have created a workgroup for each of my databases, trying to use the command-line /WRKGRP option does not seem to work. Whichever workgroup I use the "Join..." button for is not replaced when I call up another database using the following command structure: "[path_to]\MSACCESS.EXE" "[path_to]\mydb.mdb" /WRKGRP "[path_to]mydb.mdw" The only way I can change the workgroup is through the menu. That is NOT the solution I need as users ARE NOT going to do this each time they change to another database. The reason I need seperate workgroups ...

Discrepancy with report and x/z tape for weighted items
We sell chocolates by weight at one of our stores and we have found that there is a rounding issue with this item, it processes correctly but at the time of closing the sales amounts on the x/z report do not match, it is usually a penny different but because of this the batch won't integrate to our accounting software (Great Plains). Does anyone know how to fix this problem? ...

Updating Values and X Axis Labels
Thanks for your help. This response by XP wasn't expected. When ever I update the chart value range and X axis labels the chart (line graph) doesn't update. I click and drag to update the Value and Categoty X axis labels. Do I have the axsis formated incorrectly? Under the format labels, Right now I have "base unit" checked. And the Max and Min dates are entered. In previous versions of excel I know you could just update the cell range and the chart would update. This should be so elementary. Thanks - Tom -- Sony Luvy If the min and max are not set to au...

How to show day of week
I have a form, one of the fields is called ShipDate. On this form, I would like to have right beside the field a single letter (or 2 - Th for Thursday) indicating the day of the week that the ShipDate is. For example, if the ShipDate contained 3/22/10, right beside that I would like a M (for Monday). I don't have a lot of room on the form to put the whole thing (Monday) Thanks, Darrell Never mind, I found it. Sorry, I got a little lazy and forgot to search first. I'm using =Format(ShipDate, "ddd") I think I can live with 3 characters On 3/25/10 11:59 AM, ...

print lines and arrows
I am using lines and arrows to show relationships between two columens of data. Visually they connect but when printing the lines do not connect or alien to the columen data cells. ...

extended y-axix
Do you know of a method in excel to condense the y-axis such that you still use zero as the origin when your data is centered on, say, 5,000,000? You mean this? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2178CB8-534D-4A42-8E95-23F65236A631@microsoft.com... > Do you know of a method in excel to condense the y-axis such that you > still > use zero a...

Subform causes Main Form to show the same record multiple times
I have a form named Patients Info with a subform on it for Household Members. The Patients Info form is created from the table: Patients and the Household Members subform is created from the table:FedPovertyLevel. The table Patients is related to the table FedPovertyLevel in a one to many relationship. The problem I have is that when a second, third, etc Household Member is added, the button for the record selector on the main form now has to be clicked forward by the number of household members. For Example, if only one name is entered as a Household member, there is only ...

clistctrl drag image not showing text
I am using a class derived from clistctrl. I am using the CreateDragImage function to create the image shown when dragging. My understanding is that this should create an image of both the icon displayed as well as the text for the particular item I am dragging, however all I am getting is the icon with no text. I am sure this has something to do with the fact that this is a derived class, but does anyone know any other workarounds for getting the text to display in the drag image? Thanks, Derrick could i create a bitmap from the rect of the selected item on screen and use that bitmap for t...

X-Y axis
Is there a way I could get the x and y axis coordinates to display in cell as I drag the shape around with a mouse? Example ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLine(14.25, 7.5, 143.25, 8.25).Select With ActiveSheet.Shapes.BuildFreeform(msoEditingAuto, 10.5 378.75) .AddNodes msoSegmentLine, msoEditingAuto, 10.5, 297# .AddNodes msoSegmentLine, msoEditingAuto, 109.5, 297# .AddNodes msoSegmentLine, msoEditingAuto, 109.5, 381# .AddNodes msoSegmentLine, msoEditingAuto, 10.5, 378.75 .ConvertToShape.Select I want to be able to cross compare other shapes relative to the ne position of this shape after it has b...

Printouts of emails not showing the attachment icons etc.,
Hello, Recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 due to Exchange etc., and one of our bosses was taken off Outlook Express and put on Outlook 2003. His latest gripe is that when he used to print emails out in OE, it would show the attachments that came with that email (just the icons indicating there were attachements), and that Outlook does not do this. The Outlook 2K3 shows me how to print the attachments themselves out (which is not what I want), and there is one article on Google about this some time ago where no one gave an answer, but there a few "me too" type responses from other peo...

Outlook showing appointments as all day events when they are not
I am a (relatively) new user to outlook (XP home running under win98). Having set up a whole series of appointments (most of which are weekly reoccuring) outlook today is reporting some of them as all day events when they are not. Help suggests unchecking the all day event box - the check box is not showing on the problematic items - the items do not span more than (say) two hours and do not cross days. Have checked knowledge base cannot find anything - any ideas please? What do you show as the start and end times for any example appointment that exhibits this behavior? --� Milly Sta...

Search formula showing results plus 100 characters
I use a formula to find text in a particular text and ask the results plus the next 100 characters to display in another cell. I was wondering if there was a way to show the proceeding characters. The formula i am using is: =MID($G6&$H6,SEARCH(C$2,$G6&$H6),100) =LEFT(G6&H6,SEARCH(C2,C6&H6)-1) "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4226FC3-1108-4C51-8563-12B32E2C0231@microsoft.com... > I use a formula to find text in a particular text and ask the results plus > the next 100 characters to display in another cell. I was w...

Rolling chart to show 13 months back from current month
I am using names andd offset to create a 13 month chart which rolls forward automatically. however it only updates when a new month is added, i want it to display the 13 months up to a particular month - held in a separate cell. currently: x-axis labels uses the name chtCts =OFFSET('Data'!$A$3,COUNTA('Data'!$A$3:$A$27)-1,0,-MIN(chtLenn,COUNTA('Data'!$A$3:$A$27)-1),1) data: =OFFSET(chtCts,0,1) table looks like this: COLA COLB Month Data J 3 F 4 M 5 A 6 M . J . J . A S O N D J So at the moment it ...

Hyperlinks not showing up after mail merge launched from Word
I have a Word document with a URL in it. When I do a mail merge and send thru Outlook my URL is not coming up as a hyperlink to the recipient. It is showing in my document however. Any suggestions? Thanks much! ...