Show random labels in simple line chart

I have a simple line chart that has a very large data table behind it.  The
line is generally the same simple upward slope with a "bend" where the slope
changes.  The data changes frequently so the location of the "bend" point
changes as well.  I do not use any labels on the chart, except that I want to
label just the point where a change in slope occurs.  Is there a way to do
this automatically?  I don't want to go in to the chart each time I create it
and have to manually turn off the old "wrong" label and turn on the new one.
I hope that makes sense.
Thanks!
--
Susan
0

Hi,

Create a another series where only the points you want labeled have a
value, all others would have #N/A.
Your formula would like something like

=IF(<test for bend> , Value , NA() )

Format the new series to have no markers or line.

This example demonstrates the technique for last, min and max points.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Create a another series where only the points you want labeled have a
> value, all others would have #N/A.
> Your formula would like something like
>
> =IF(<test for bend> , Value , NA() )
>
> Format the new series to have no markers or line.
>
> This example demonstrates the technique for last, min and max points.
> http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

> SueDot wrote:
> > I have a simple line chart that has a very large data table behind it.  The
> > line is generally the same simple upward slope with a "bend" where the slope
> > changes.  The data changes frequently so the location of the "bend" point
> > changes as well.  I do not use any labels on the chart, except that I want to
> > label just the point where a change in slope occurs.  Is there a way to do
> > this automatically?  I don't want to go in to the chart each time I create it
> > and have to manually turn off the old "wrong" label and turn on the new one.
> > I hope that makes sense.
> > Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
SueDot (5)

PublishObject add chart to outlook
Hi, I am trying to code a VBScript to get Excel chart and paste in Outlook. For somereason, the email does not attach gif file but only html body. Do you have a solution for this? Set objChart = objExcel.ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 2") objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.PublishObjects.Add(xlSourceChart, chartFile, objChart.Parent.Name, objChart.Name, xlHtmlStatic, "weekly_chart", "").Publish True Set FStream = FSObject.OpenTextFile(chartFile, 1) strHTMLBody = FStream.ReadAll FStream.Close Set FStream = Nothing With MailItem .HTMLB...

Copy and paste a chart using a macro
I am trying to copy and paste a chart from one workbook to another and maintain all formatting (including titles, font sizes, colors etc) using an excel macro. So far I have something like this: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy Workbooks("Chartbook.xls").Worksheet("Section A").Paste Unfortunately, when I paste the chart the axes font size changes as does the plot area. ::Win98SE, Excel 2000:: ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum...

Use a loop to create multiple Charts
I am running a loop in VBA which is supposed to draw a new chart fo every (2) column(s) of data. However, I am not sure how to make it "jump" from column to column. Part of my program (does not include the "For i=1 to3 e.t.c.) is below The *high-lighted *part is the part I am trying to change. Instead of fixed reference I wanted to get the data I have in th _underlined__part. Any suggestions??? Sheets("OUTPUT All data").Select _Range(Cells(11,_2_*_i),_Cells(11,_2_*_i_+_1)).Select_ Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType ...

Can I get Excel to determine the line curve formula without graph.
I am trying to otain a solution for the number where two curves meet. Specifically trying to determine the expected flow rate given a pump curve and system curve. The curves shift depending on variables that are read from a spreadsheet. I can get the curve formulas by graphing them and requesting the trendline feature, but then I have to manually enter the curve formulas, set them equal to each other, and solve the equation. Can Excel do this automatically from two data sets? Any help would be appreciated. Hi, What kind curves are they (i.e., what kind of functions are those trendline ...

colorIndex listing for Chart with autoformat settings
Hi, Is there an access through VBA to the listing of the Border.ColorIndex sequence used by Excel for SeriesCollection(n) in dependence of "n" in Charts based on default / autoformat settings ? All my trials to acceed to this parameter for individual curves lead to " - 4105" :-(( Thanks in advance Regards Jean -4105 means default, as you must have guessed. Getting the color of default-formatted series is not straightforward. You can start by figuring the color index of the bottom two rows of the palette, which Excel uses as default chart colors. Th...

Can I use a single toggle button to Hide or Show a form?
I have tried to use a single toggle button to show or hide a form, but the best I can manage is having to use two buttons. Is it possible to use just the one button to toggle between show/hide? On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:38:04 -0700, efandango wrote: > I have tried to use a single toggle button to show or hide a form, but the > best I can manage is having to use two buttons. > > Is it possible to use just the one button to toggle between show/hide? Sure! But the toggle button can't be on the form that you are making visible or not, as once it's not visible you can'...

Column chart with different column widths
I am trying to create a chart where the (y) vertical axis is one metric (%) and the (x) horizontal axis is also scaled as a %... In other words I would like each column to be a different height and width... I really appreciate any help you can offer... I am a student in finals and need to submit a paper by Thursday (5/14) night... Best, Lee Hi, You will find information on the chart type here http://www.andypope.info/charts/colwidth.htm http://www.andypope.info/charts/colwidth2.htm http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/marimekko-chart-utility/ Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP -...

Number Line
Word 2007 Is there a way to graph something like x > 7 or -3 < x < 3 on a number line or to create a number line using numbers I choose and open or filled in circles? I am trying to create math review sheets for students. I've explored Insert | Equation but have not found what I need. Is there another program better suited to my needs? TIA Guy Try http://www.ehow.com/how_4963682_create-number-line-microsoft-word.html and/or create the line in Excel http://www.internet4classrooms.com/excel_number_line.htm and copy/paste it into Word. -- Regards, Ja...

Chart Source Data Ranges Changing when Data Sheet updated from text file source.
I have a simple Excel wb with 2 sheets. Sheet 1 is simple Line Charts. Sheet 2 is the data for these charts. The data comes from a text file via the 'Import External Data' tool. The text file is filled throughout the day with data every 5 minutes starting at 00:00. Because the chart will contain 288 data points I've set my series values to"=<data sheet name>!$C$2:$C$289" I have 2 questions. 1) Whenever I refresh the Data Sheet from the external text file the series values in my charts increment by the number of new data points. This is no good as it causes my c...

Creating chart
Ok. I am really new at this and I want to create a chart that shows two different sets of data. Wendy already answered one of my questions in regards to the secondary axis. When I select the two sets of data and then use the chart wizard I always end up showing only one column. How do I create the second column showing the second set of data? Jon Peltier's charting intro may help you: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Charting101.html Perhaps you haven't left the upper left cell of the data range blank. Carl Johnson wrote: > Ok. I am really new at this a...

Organisational Charts
I am currently trying to locate an MS CRM partner organisation which has an organisational/relationship chart product. So far I have viewed the products on offer from Salescentric and c360, but wondered if there were any others in the market. -- Thanks Nathan ...

how do i merge two pipe charts to depict change
i would like to create a chart that depicts week to week progress for three items; i would lke to use a 3d pipe chart and have the next weeks' chart show the previous weeks chart and them on top of each column frpivy in a different color hos many units were added this week in each category...oj ...

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogPrint).Show
Hoi there, I want to use the code "Application.Dialogs(xlDialogPrint).Show", but by default i would like that 'All the worksheets" are selected when this dialog opens. Can it be done ??? Thanks, Luc Hello To select a worksheet and to made it the selected worksheet: Worksheets("MyName").select To select a worksheet and to add it to the actual selection of worksheets : Worksheets("MyName").select False To select all the worksheet: Sub SelectAllWorksheets() Dim xW As Worksheet Worksheets(1).Select For Each xW In Wor...

combining two cell values to one value to chart
Hello While making a chart I wish to combine two values from two seperate cells to make one value to send to a chart. In this case it is the values for the columns named S3 and S4. Enclosed is the ss please refer to sheet 3. I don't know the formula for adding the two and displaying. It's a bit confusing this ss formatting. The S3 col are L and S4 is N. I don't know if I have to make the calc show in a cell or just do it on the fly. Using the chart wizard it's the series values I believe is where a formula could go. thanks for any help given, Steve Sorry, looks like I ...

chart purchases by customer, various items or all together
I have a worksheet which shows all the purchases made by a customer over an extended period of time. Can someone tell me how to make a "chart" which (hopefully) will show a line starting on left and heading northbound as it moves to the right (sort of like what you see when they show the price of gasoline on the nightly news). I have posted the dat here http://bbdldarts.homestead.com/excelexample.html, and I also put commas between columns of info. It would be nice if I could get a chart that breaks it down by product and dat, not just total products. please help if you can ...

How can I make a small flip chart with divider tabs?
I am a sales trainer and I would like to make a small spiral bound flip book with tab dividers on the left side for answers to common objections. The size would maybe be 4" w X 6" h. Any suggestions for a template? ...

pie chart in a report
I apologize if this has already been discussed - I read through several threads but didn't really find a solution. I need to include a pie chart on a report showing an total employee earned wage % and a total company paid benefit % in the pie. It needs to change with every record employee record. The chart's in the group footer. The chart looks just like it should in design view (2 colors) but when I switch to either report view or print preview, it becomes a one-color chart. Here's the SQL. If this has to do with this Row Source, would you please explain it s...

Values on 'y' axis
Hello, I just open an spreadsheet with some graphs I did a few days ago and it appears as if the values on the 'y' axis have been rounded up (0,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5....etc) instead of been in a scale (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2.....etc). The source data for the graph has not changed. I would appreciate it if someone could let me knwo why this has happened and how can I change it back. Thanks Format Axis/ Number/ Decimal places? You could try changing from Number to General? -- David Biddulph "Belcha" <Belcha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF141E22-C1C...

PublisherHow do I print 1 label only on a sheet of 6 (avery 5164)
Only need 1 or 2 of these labels every time I print........ But cannot find a way to just print 1 or 2 of them to save the other 4 for another client. thank you! Arrange, left and right margins .16, top and bottom, .5, grid spacing - - 2 columns with spacing .19, three rows, no spacing. In 2000 and below, the measurements will be the same as above except there is no dialog for grid spacing, draw a long rectangle, select, format, size and position, size .19 wide -- 10 inches long, position center. Give the rectangle no fill and no line. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.c...

Assert during label edit in CtreeView
I am trying to use the edit label feature in CTreeView. It works OK if I just enter text to change the label. However, if I hit the left mouse button to change the location of the insertion point during the edit, I get an assertion "ASSERT(::IsWindow(m_hWnd)); in wincore.cpp. Can anyone tell me why this is happening (i.e., why m_hWnd is not considered to be a window), and what I can do to fix it? There's an article about editing in CTreeView; note that it introduces more bugs than it fixes, but if you read it carefully you can fix the bugs, which are pretty obvious. It is one...

making '>'s show up in replies?
I am using outlook 2003 and want to have �>' in my replies. The problem is I can't figure out how to set it up to use those. Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Gaiko On 27 Jul 2004 10:59:48 -0700, gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com (Gaikokujin Kyofushso) wrote: >I am using outlook 2003 and want to have �>' in my replies. The >problem is I can't figure out how to set it up to use those. Any help >would be greatly appreciated! > Click on your Tools menu item, then Options... On that screen's Preferences tab, click on Email Options. The option that you&...

chart disappears #2
In excel 2007 I have data on a sheet from which I created a chart. I then moved the chart to its own sheet. I updated the data once a day for a couple days and the chart was also updated. Then one day I open the file and the chart is gone. The sheet it was on is still there. The data sheet is still there, but the sheet is gone (or not visible?) and I can't figure out why or how to get it back. This is happened twice now and is getting quite irritating. Any thoughts? I have been unable to reproduce this. I did what you did but my 'day' was about 1 1/2mins. The chart su...

Simple Question on Addition
I searched the discussion groups for the answer to what seems to be a simple question, but found nothing. I have a group by query with three columns: itemNo Debits Credits The query is grouped on the first column, itemNo. I want to add the Debit column to the credit column and show the result in a third field, Total. For each record, the Debit column contains currency amounts. The Credit column contains either negative currency amounts or is null. Here is my nonfunctioning SQL. When I run the query, the Total column is blank for every record. SELECT eBayFees_lastMont...

Problem With ' in Words Like "Don't" Showing Up In Text As Symbol
How do I correct this problem? When I send a message and use the apostrophe to shorten two words to one; i.e. don't, can't, John's the apostrophe shows up as a weird symbol. Why is this and what can I do to correct it? Thanks for your advise, Windshearer -- Do you like Hardcore Comics? I have what you are looking for. Windshearer@gmail.com ...

Template won't show in print preview and won't print either
I downloaded a MS Word 2003 template and made changes to it in MS Word. I worked in the Print Layout view. When I click on print preview nothing is there and when I just try to print the document, nothing prints. If you downloaded a template from Microsoft's Template Gallery, there's a better than even chance it involves a lot of text boxes and wrapped graphics, all of which are considered "drawings" or "drawing objects." You've clearly got "Drawings" checked on the View tab of Tools | Options (since you can see them in Print Layout vi...