Show 'incomplete' axes & show ticks but NOT axes?

I've been reading Edward Tufte's "The Visual Display of Quantitative
Information" (which, by the way, I can whole heartedly recommend to anyone
with a personal/professional interest in statistical graphics).

Anyway, I'd love to implement some of his ideas. For example - using a
chart's axes as a 'range frame' - so that each axis is only shown from the
minimum to maximum of both variables plotted .  Meaning that the axes
themselves carry information .

Does anyone know if or how this could be done in excel?  An add-in maybe?
Also, things like showing the tick marks but not the axis lines themselves?

Any help would be appreciated or if anyone else has implemented some of
Tufte's techniques I'd really appreciate advice as to how, within the
constraints of Excel's charting abilities.

Jay
__

0
zeugma (59)

Hi,

Here is an addin to link axis min/max values to cells. The cells would
contain formula to determine the min and max value you wanted to use.
http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html

The tickmarks use the same colour as the axis line. There for in order
to get just tickmarks you would need to create your own with a dummy
data series.

For excel charting start by trying these sites for ideas.
Also check the link pages on each for even more sites.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html
http://www.andypope.info/charts.htm
http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips.htm
http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/
http://processtrends.com/
http://www.edferrero.com/

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

How to show To-do items in Outlook Today
I have been flagging the mails with followup for me. When I go to Tasks folder I can see these reminders however when I go to Outlook today and add to show tasks, it doesnt show these reminder and shows only tasks that I created explicitely. I used Outlook Today extensively in 2003 to take notes and keep track of all my daily work instead of using any planner. With 2007 I was elated to see that I could flag emails for self notifications. Pls help. ...

Dialog is not showing
My SDI app runs a COM object that can open multiple windows. If this COM object opens just one window I can click on a button on my app to open a modal dialog which works. If the COM object opens two or more windows when I click on the button to open the modal dialog it does not appear and my app no longer responds to input. When I close one of the windows of the COM object (there can still be multiple windows opened by the COM object) the dialog appears and my app now responds to input. Any ideas on how I might troubleshoot this problem? The COM object is started and controlled by a hidd...

Outlook 2003 lost show new mail alert
In Outlook 2003 I have lost the show new mail alert facility although it is ticked. I see the Outlook yellow square in my taskbar instead of the envelope. How can I fix this? Beemer Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote: > In Outlook 2003 I have lost the show new mail alert facility although > it is ticked. I see the Outlook yellow square in my taskbar instead > of the envelope. Is it a matter of you using Windows XP and that XP is hiding the new mail icon? You can check this by right-clicking the Taskbar Notification Area and chooing Customize Notifications. Look for...

Summing the number of incomplete jobs within a date range -sumprod
Hello, I need help figuring out a formula that counts the number of incomplete jobs for a specific worker that are within the next seven days. I would only want to count the "Date Completed" column if it was blank and within seven days from today's date. I've tried using sumproduct, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the date calculations to work properly. My data looks similar to this Worker Due Date Date Completed Bob 1/18/2010 1/13/2010 Bob 1/21/2010 Bob 2/20/2010 Tom ...

New distribution groups not showing in GAL
I'm creating two distribution groups on Exchange 2003. I simply right-click the OU and create a new group, global distribution group selected via the radio buttons. Next screen I check the box to add an Exchange email address and leave the defaults. Next and Finish. Open Outlook and no entries in the GAL. I waited 24 hours for the GAL to update and looked again. Still not finding my new distribution groups! If I put the alias in the "To:" box and send I get error 5.1.1 that the account wasn't found in the domain. What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated! Dyl...

PIVOT TABLE
Hi, I've got a list of items all with associated dates - I want to create a pivot table that will count the number of items for each calendar month - how can I change the display on the pivot to reflect the month? Dave Right-click on a date, and choose Group... In this dialogue box, you can choose to group by months. If you get the error "Cannot group that selection", it means that some of your data are not dates. You'll need to fix that first. Regards, Fred "Dave Eade" <DaveEade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26FE98...

Show and edit link table data using checkboxes
I have a form showing data on a given record. Each record is potentially linked to zero or more values in a lookup table. I'd like to be able to display the data in the link table by using checkboxes to show if a link exists and to create/delete records in the link table when the values of the checkboxes are changed. On Oct 2, 10:41 am, Dan Neely <dan.ne...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a form showing data on a given record. Each record is > potentially linked to zero or more values in a lookup table. I'd like > to be able to display the data in the link table by usin...

Index watches aren't showing in portfolio?
I have three indexes in an investment watch account: Index - Dow Index - NASDAQ Index - S&P 500 Thea above are always at 0.00. I do have other indexes, which update. Why are the above not updating? Thanks, Brett I have this same problem since I upgraded to 2004. All other prices update fine - just these three that won't work. Anybody got a fix for this? "Brett" wrote: > I have three indexes in an investment watch account: > Index - Dow > Index - NASDAQ > Index - S&P 500 > > Thea above are always at 0.00. I do have other indexes, which upd...

Form label showing extra character at end of label
I have a form with an unbound label in it that is several lines long. The last few characters are "Plus.txt" (quotes are not part of the label). It displays as "Plus.ttx" When I look at it in design mode, I also see "Plus.ttx", however when I click inside it to edit, I see "Plus.txt". I have seen this recently in another text label, different words, but similar issues. If I add a few blank spaces at the end of the label, all appears well, so this is a work-around, but I really would like to know what's going on. Thanks On W...

Colored cells are showing white on screen, want to see color?
I have sheet cells that I know are colored, but they show white on my system, and print grayscale, while showing their true colors on other office systems.... Does this article help http://support.microsoft.com/d��efault.aspx?kbid=320531 Changes to fill color and fill pattern are not displayed in Office programs -- HTH Bob Phillips "dean" <dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1990525-1D7B-4E94-9653-80074F9AAEFD@microsoft.com... > I have sheet cells that I know are colored, but they show white on my system, > and print grayscale, while showing ...

"Show Placeholder" feature in options/view doesnt work
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

Check / Tick Boxes
I am using a tick box to indicate whether certain aspects of a job are complete or not. I would like to create a formula to show me the percentage of tick boxes complete. Use a linked cell for each of the checkboxes (say E1:E20 if you have 20 checkboxes. Then you could use: =countif(e1:e20,true)/20 format as a percentage (divided by twenty since I had 20 linked cells for 20 checkboxes.) tinahumphries wrote: > > I am using a tick box to indicate whether certain aspects of a job are > complete or not. I would like to create a formula to show me the percentage > of tick box...

Field shows up on saved form not inital form
I have created a new picklist field in the schema manager - published it and inserted it on the lead form. When I choose to create a new lead the field does not show up. Once I save the new lead the field show up on the saved form. How can I get this field to be present when I start an new Lead? thanks, -- JPM it finally showed up on the form. "jmadigan" wrote: > I have created a new picklist field in the schema manager - published it and > inserted it on the lead form. When I choose to create a new lead the field > does not show up. Once I save the new lead th...

how do I show dates in a column in an excel worksheet?
Using excel 2003, I am trying to create a worksheet in which the first column records the dates of purchases and sales, the details of which are then recorded in the corresponding row. I keep getting a series of symbols, which usually indicate an incorrect formula. I don't want a formula, just a date. Can anyone please advise how I can do this, as the office assistant and m/s online dont seem to understand my question? Are the symbols ####? In that case, widen the column, or choose a different date format. In article <9F8E2B02-4B65-4F17-BF82-8A8F0FC72059@microsoft.com>, p...

StyleRef Field in Headers to Show Chapters/Sections
New to fields...I want my headers to show chapters on the even page and sections in the odd pages. When I put a simple StyleRef field in I'm not getting what I want...here is what I would like it to do: - if a chapter has not started yet (as in the preface pages) then I would like it to be blank rather than picking up the chapter that will be 10 pages later. - same with the section I guess I'd like both to search starting from the bottom of the page the field is currently on...and go backwards through the document to the most recently started chapter/section. I'm s...

Activity Roll up
Hi, I was just wondering if the activity roll up within an account includes activities created in custom entities which are related to that account? If not, any ideas on how to do this? Help please.... :( Activity rollup in V3.0 does not support rolling up from custom entities. Thanks for your suggestion. We will consider this feature for a future release. An Issue has been entered into our tracking data base. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserve...

URLs dragged into tasks shows up as Icons, can I have links instead?
I often need to put webaddresses in the tekst in tasks. I would like to drag them from the addressbar in IE into the textwindow of a task like I do in other programs like Word (where I get the address as a clickable link) or FrontPage (where I get the Title as a clickable link). However, in Outlook I get just the IE-page icon and the first part of the URL. Mostly useless. Is there a way to change this to the Word or preferably the Forntpage way of showing the link? ...

Pivot Tables: New dimension members show up checked in dropdown
I've noticed that when distinct new members are added to dimension dat they show up as checked in a dropdown list when the pivot table i refreshed. Is there anyway to disable this so that they don't show up (pre checked? Basically, I have a model that depends on a subset of the members which I have checked in a dropdown, and the rest are unchecked - an when a distinct new member is added it automatically shows up a checked in the dropdown list, which gives me wrong answers. E.g. I have Stock Tickers as a dimension and avg. price as the measure I have 10,000 Distinct Tickers of whic...

new exchange 2003 mail boxes do not show in global address list
Hi there We are running Exchange 2003 on Win2k SP4 in a Windows 2000 domain. We installed SP1 for Exchange 2003 last week. After creating a new user account via AD, and creating and Exchange Mail Box, the user does not appear in the global address list. I get error 9562 in the Exchange App log "Failed to read attribute msExchUserAccountControl from Active Directory for /O=Pongrass Group Operations/OU=PGO/cn=Recipients/cn=username." When I tried to move the mail box, just for the heck of it, I got an error 1022 "Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox St...

Autofilter shows no results, but there should be because there are matches
the column that I am trying to use autofilter on has nothing but numbers in it. But when I do a custom filter for a number that begins with '5' (for example), it shows no results. Even though there are plenty of numbers that start with '5'. I do the same excercise on another worksheet that is formatted the same, and it works fine. If I go back to the non-working worksheet and retype the number in each cell the autofilter will work. WHY OH WHY is this so? That happened to me whenever I imported data from a particular database. On import, somehow a little 1/2 space was put i...

tick boxes
How do I make a field into to a tick box? Ta Jon data-> validation --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can add check boxes to the worksheet from the Forms toolbar, or from the Control toolbox. To see the list of toolbars, choose View>Toolbars. JON wrote: > How do I make a field into to a tick box? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html sorry what i wrote was wrong :mad: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

marketing and sales tabs are not showing
we installed crm 3.0 and on the main screen the marketing and sales tabs are not showing. need help in this regard Your user is probably running in restricted mode. (Default for administrators after install) Goto settings > Business Unit Settings > Users and check your user. On the user record there is a check Restricted mode at the bottom of the form. Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT www.aviva-it.nl "Affan Alam" wrote: > we installed crm 3.0 and on the main screen the marketing and sales tabs are > not showing. need help in this regard ...

Error causing the selected data not to show
I'm making a chart that is for a physics class, heres the problem. I graph volume vs. radius and it works fine. so i then calculate radius squared and graph volume and r^2 but it show a weird line then in the first tab of information (using x-y scatter chart) is say below that the data can not be desplayed because the graph is to complex. Its 2 sources of date . . .TO COMPLEX????. any ideas what the deal is. thanks You will have more control over the chart source data if you click on the Series tab. On the Data Range tab, you can only see the data if it's in a well defined re...

Calendar won't show months
I have a view in Outlook (Win XP) with schedule on left, 2 months of calendar on upper right, and tasks on lower right. I can stop and start Outlook and it comes back with this appearance, but after a logoff/logon or reboot, the view is no months on the right and all tasks on the right. Of course, you can click/drag the months back, but it never sticks. Any ideas on what's going one? Where are the view settings stored? Perhaps I could delete and then remake them. Cheers! Michael -- RASBERRY AGENCY LTD P O Box 11773, Charlotte, NC 28220-1773 Local (704) 372-218...

Only showing images when Netmeeting open? #2
Hi, hope someone can help as I'm stumped on this one. I've upgraded to Office SP 2 but now images do not display in Publisher files. The strange thing is that the images do show if Netmeeting is open at the same time!! I've checked the show images settings in options and they are fine. Keeping Netmeeting open at the same time is a work around but not very practical as I'm sure you can imagine. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Paul Empty your temporary cache, in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete files. Is your video driver current? In the con...