Show growth in the bar chart

Hi,

I would like to create a bar chart from the following data:

First period: 71
Second period: 110
Growth from first period to second period: 110-71 = 39
    - Assume that the growth of 39 is attributed to the two drivers.
    - The first driver contributes 20 and the second contributes 19.

The chart would look like:

        71        110         39            20          19
                  +----+     +----+     +-----+
                  |      |     |      |     |       |
                  |      |     |      |     +------+  +-----+
                  |      |     |      |                   |       |
      +----+   |      |     +----+                   +-----+
      |      |   |      |
      |      |   |      |
      |      |   |      |
      +----+   +----+
     1st          2nd        Growth    1st driver  2nd driver
     period    period

Could anyone let me know how to create this type of chart in MS Excel?

Thank you very much.

0
needhelp (20)

Jon Peltier provides a series of floating column and waterfall charting
examples on his site that will work for you.  Please see the links below:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/waterfallcrossing.html

Jon has also created an Excel utility that does the work for you.  You might
want to try it via the link below:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/WaterfallUtility.html

--
John Mansfield
cellmatrix.net

"Needhelp" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to create a bar chart from the following data:
>
> First period: 71
> Second period: 110
> Growth from first period to second period: 110-71 = 39
>     - Assume that the growth of 39 is attributed to the two drivers.
>     - The first driver contributes 20 and the second contributes 19.
>
> The chart would look like:
>
>         71        110         39            20          19
>                   +----+     +----+     +-----+
>                   |      |     |      |     |       |
>                   |      |     |      |     +------+  +-----+
>                   |      |     |      |                   |       |
>       +----+   |      |     +----+                   +-----+
>       |      |   |      |
>       |      |   |      |
>       |      |   |      |
>       +----+   +----+
>      1st          2nd        Growth    1st driver  2nd driver
>      period    period
>
> Could anyone let me know how to create this type of chart in MS Excel?
>
> Thank you very much.

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Needhelp <Needhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I would like to create a bar chart from the following data:
>
>First period: 71
>Second period: 110
>Growth from first period to second period: 110-71 = 39
>    - Assume that the growth of 39 is attributed to the two drivers.
>    - The first driver contributes 20 and the second contributes 19.

It needs to be a stacked column chart with the first in the stack
formatted to be invisible (no area and no borders). The numbers will
look like this:

           1stPer   2ndPer   Growth   1stDriv  2ndDriv
Invisible  0        0        =110-39  =110-20  =110-39
Visible    71       110      39       20       19

>The chart would look like:

Also, google "Excel waterfall-chart" for more examples.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> Jon Peltier provides a series of floating column and waterfall charting
> examples on his site that will work for you.  Please see the links below:
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/waterfallcrossing.html
>
> Jon has also created an Excel utility that does the work for you.  You might
> want to try it via the link below:
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/WaterfallUtility.html
>
> --
> John Mansfield
> cellmatrix.net
>

> "Needhelp" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to create a bar chart from the following data:
> >
> > First period: 71
> > Second period: 110
> > Growth from first period to second period: 110-71 = 39
> >     - Assume that the growth of 39 is attributed to the two drivers.
> >     - The first driver contributes 20 and the second contributes 19.
> >
> > The chart would look like:
> >
> >         71        110         39            20          19
> >                   +----+     +----+     +-----+
> >                   |      |     |      |     |       |
> >                   |      |     |      |     +------+  +-----+
> >                   |      |     |      |                   |       |
> >       +----+   |      |     +----+                   +-----+
> >       |      |   |      |
> >       |      |   |      |
> >       |      |   |      |
> >       +----+   +----+
> >      1st          2nd        Growth    1st driver  2nd driver
> >      period    period
> >
> > Could anyone let me know how to create this type of chart in MS Excel?
> >
> > Thank you very much.

0
needhelp (20)

Different colors on a single line chart
Hi there I have a single line chart, with dates on the X axis. After a certain date, I would like the line to be a different color. Is this possible? Without having to edit the color of each datapoint? And when I add new data, it should appear in that same second color. Thanks! Hi, To do this without code you can use 2 data series to give the appearance of a single line. In this previous example I posted the future data was a dotted line but you can just change the formatting to another colour. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng45.htm Cheers Andy Sarah wrote: > Hi there > I have a ...

How to add annotation/callout/note to chart?
In Excel 2003, is there any way to add an annotation/callout/note to a chart -- for example, if I want to add a description to a data point or other item? Thanks, Don Culp __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5073 (20100429) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com Open the Drawing tool (View | Toolbars) Use one of the shapes (callouts are great) to put a shape with text on the chart Caveat: you should begin by clicking on the chart to activate it then select the shape; in...

Multiple pie charts and merging them into word.
I have a worksheet that has 286 rows and I need a pie chart for each row and then I need to have the pie charts merge for each person in Word. Is this possible? I cannot link the pie charts to a cell so it will pull it into Word. I don't really don't want 287 Worksheets with embedded pie charts. Please Help! Thanks! ...

Show Date Difference only in a certain range
Hi, I have a table called tblReadmits that has AdmitDate, DischargeDate and AdmitDate2 as date fields. I created a query with a calculated field called ReadmitDays which is AdmitDate2 - DischargeDate. I only want a value to show in this field though if it is between 0 and 30. Otherwise, I want it to be null. Can someone help with an SQL statement which will do this? Thanks, IIF(AdmitDate2-DischargeDate Between 0 and 30, AdmitDate2-DischargeDate,Null) John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County Chuck W ...

Outlook 2007 calendar only show 9 to 5 events
Someone told me that he could manage to set the calender view from 9am to 5pm? but he forgot how to set it again. Can i just set the display to show the events between 9 to 5? Thanks. You can open the menu tools -options, then select calender options, pop the dialog , select the proper time, that 's ok. "tony wong" <x34@netvigator.com> д���ʼ� news:e$khC0%23$HHA.4200@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Someone told me that he could manage to set the calender view from 9am to > 5pm? but he forgot how to set it again. > > Can i just set the display to show the eve...

Auto adjust dates in a chart
I would like to build a line chart that automatically plots values for the past 14 days, no matter when I open the chart. I have set up a column with now() in the first cell and now()-1, now()-2, etc. in a series for the following 13 cells down to now()-14. This column becomes the data range for the x-axis. If I test it by changing the system date, the now() values do not change automatically. I know there must be a way to do that. But the further concern is how to link values in another column with the proper now()-x value to display what I want to see. I want to use this chart to...

Adding Source Data to a Chart.
I want to add data from 2 different sheets within the same work book added together. ie say data from Sheet1 B1 + Sheet 3 B1 as source data for the same bar on the chart. Can this be done direct or do I have to add them together first then use that as the source data. I have tried typically the following: Sheet1!$B$1+Sheet3!$b$1 and several variations of this without success. One way to do it is to have 2 series, one for each sheet, and make a Stacked bar chart. The only problem is that you don't get to see the total when adding labels to the series. Regards Esteban "Dizz...

20 rows but need to display only 2 at a time in a chart.
Hi friends, I have a chart with 20 rows and columns. I need to compare 2 rows at a time in a simple line chart to see thier progress, for example row 1 with row 5 , then 4 with 10 and then 1 with 16 etc. what would be the easiest way to achive this, for now I have to do it by selecting the rows each time by edit data. Can I have 2 dropdown menus above the chart with the column names so that the chart would display the values I chose. Thanks for your help. Roshlin Hi, It's easy to achieve this if you have a couple of combo boxes, each referencing your list of series names/headi...

how to create line Chart with large number of data points
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Excel allows only some 200 data points. I would need 1025! Is there a way to achieve that or do I have to look for some other special charting software Thanks! You are right. I found the solution. ...

MDI Chile windows not setting Frame Caption Bar
Hello, I have created an Windows MDI application. When I open a document within this MDI frame, the caption bar of the MDI frame is only set if the child document is maximized. If I have more than 1 child documents, I have them tiled. I woulkd like the MDI frame caption to change to show the name of the active child document, but it simply appends a number to it's applicaiton name. ie. the applicaiton name is WinOm and when I select a child document, the MDI frame caption is set to WinOm - [WinOM1], WinOm - [WinOm2], etc. Can I set it so that the MDI frame caption is the applicati...

Form Field Help line does not show
Hello, I have a medium-size template with a lot (several dozens) of form fields. Some have logical connection, so I'm using ActiveDocument.FormFields("SomeField").Select method to force jump to a specific field on the form. Sometimes this is done from the "exit" macro that does validations, and sometimes to skip some irrelevant fields. I've encountered two issues: 1. The help text in the status line will not show for the proper field in ..Select 2. I can't jump back to the same field. The workaround I found is: .Select a read-only previous fi...

Field shows up blank but actually has value in it when clicked
I imported data into customised fields, and when viewing the list of accounts across fields, I see all data except for one field, which show as blank. When i double-click to open up more detail for any account, the field in question shows a numeric value (as it should). How can i make this value show up in the normal accounts view? ...

Bar Text on Gantt Chart
Is there a way to remove all text formatting from the bars at once or does one have to format each bar individually Hi Judy, You can change multiple bars at once through Format > Bar Styles. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information about Microsoft Project On 4/14/2010 2:08 PM, Judy C wrote: > Is there a way to remove all text formatting from the bars at once or does > one have to format each bar individually Hi, Text formattig on the bars is achieved through F...

log axes, chart titles, Rob Bovey, loadsaprobs
In the past few days I have been building a workbook (6Mb and growing) that contains a sheet displaying about 20 charts. I have incorporated the little trick which references the chart title to a cell reference (very handy). Also downloaded the Add-in from Rob Bovey to change data labels (as suggested by tusha mehta`s tutorial on how to customise Excel chart log axes). I ended up not needing it. When worked on, the workbook is running very slow (Excel is using 98-99% of my processing) and appears to think a lot before allowing access to any chart I want to edit. Can this be the ...

Pie Charts #4
In my pie chart, items are grouping together as other even though there is no "other" in my budget -- why? It is actually a cool idea -- how to I add other items to this "other" (e.g. very small percentages of the pie). "IDA" <IDA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D4861F6-7AF7-4105-8994-3DDC77BC794F@microsoft.com... > In my pie chart, items are grouping together as other even though there is no > "other" in my budget -- why? It is actually a cool idea -- how to I add > other items to this "other" (e.g. very s...

Including table into the chart!
Hello all! A quick question. Let us say a table with certain number of rows and columns was create and used to plot a chart. Is there a way we can include the above table into the chart? I would appreciate ur help guys. Arun... Vtec corp -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Make sure you have room for the table in the chart area, select the table, hold down shift and click edit>copy picture select picture format and paste it into the chart area. -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "aiyer >" <<ai...

scatter chart
I am trying to chart a series of length measurements on the X-axis plotted against a series of depths on the Y- Axis. However, the depths are named in 5cm increments; for example: 0-5, 5-10, 10-15., which excluded XY scatter without modifying the desired labels. Furthermore I have varying quantities of data for each depth range, which excluded charting with the line charts as it is important to maintain equal spacing between each of the axis labels. Currently, I have inserted a row of abitrary numbers, representing the 5cm increments (for the Y-Axis) and have successfully plotted...

Retrieving Data From a Chart
I would like to build a formula that allows me to go back 50 records in the database to locate and list how many records since the last time the farthest back of the 3 evaluated cells last occurred. example: ,,,,,,,,,,,,C42 9,,,,6,,,,2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,C48 0,,,,7,,,3 A49 7,,,,4,,,,1 A51 B51 C51 (The evaluated cells) 3,,,,7,,,,2 Therefore, the result would list 9, because from the cell values 3,7,2, #2 was the furtherest back in the last 50 records. It last occurred 9 records ago. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and po...

x log, y lin audio frequency chart
I'm having some trouble with limitaions in the axis display. Is there a way to set the base number of the log graph to start at 2, or 20, and stop at 20,000 or 40,000? It always defaults to decades of one or ten. The second issue is when I set the series by using the wizard, the data is off(lower) by an order of magnitude for some reason that is not very obvious to me. Finally, what is the difference between a range and a series? I have too many points to use the range input. Thanks and sorry about the many questions. JIM Jim I don't think it's gonna happen. When you use...

All email showing up as attachments
Every one of my new or saved emails is showing up as an attachment? The To, From, Subject and date are correct. They are all displayed correctly when I open the attachment. They all have this format: ATT0000XX.htm (XX.X KB) Please do not start a new thread for an existing issue. Thank you. Tools | Options | Read. Uncheck: Read all messages in plain text. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Dragontooth" <Dragontooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F2CB9E4-DE46-42B5-8EC3-EE1B7D71310F@microsoft.c...

Printing without showing PrintDialog
I posted this question in Comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, before I found THIS newsgroup, sorry for crossposting. My application works with a data logging hardware. Every few minutes the user pushes a button to start a measure cycle. Once the cycle is complete, I want the results to print. I use the following code which works fine. However, what code do I need to print WITHOUT showing the PrintDialog? In other words, I want to avoid that the user has to click OK in the PrintDialog. All I want is that a page is printed to the default printer without user action. BOOL CMyPrinter::CreateDef...

Bar chart with Y Axes Categories
I have very little experience with charts, so I really appreciate your help. I have a column of employees' "Years until retirement" (approx 139 employees). I'd like a chart that shows a bar for 0-5 years, 6-9 years, 10-14 years, 15-19 years, 20-24 years, 25-29 years and 30+. How do I categorize to get this chart? THANK YOU. MB I think you want the categories on the X axis. In the first column of the sheet, put your year ranges, and in the second column, put the number of employees within each range. Make a chart from this data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micros...

Excel opening with only the toolbars showing
Hi, I have been having this problem for a day or so. Whenever I open any Excel file it shows the toolbars at the top and the status line at the bottom, but between there is nothing between, i.e. a totally empty screen showing thru to the programs or background behind it, it's like the whole spreadsheet part is just not there! Even when it's the only open program on the computer it just has the header and a blank screen showing the desktop. Can anyone offer advice as to WTF is going on and how to fix it because currently I am totally unable to access any Excel files at all. All assist...

SmartList showing Unposted Cash Receipts
How do I get a SmartList that shows unposted cash receipts? I don't want to print the batch edit list. -- Elisabeth Do you have SmartList Builder? These items are listed in RM10201 if I remember correctly. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Elisabeth" wrote: > How do I get a SmartList that shows unposted cash receipts? I don't want to > print the batch edit list. > -- > Elisabeth We don't have Sm...

removing new data in charts
I have added new data into a chart by using a MACRO. perhaps it is not possible to undo this using edit-undo. Is there any method to celar only the added portion in the chart If I click the chart and click<clear> the whole chart is removed. thanks and regards If you've added a new series, select the series, and press the Delete key. If the series has been extended by adding points, select the series, and the range with the series data is highlighted in the underlying sheet: drag the little square corners on the colored rectangular outlines to resize the data ranges. - Jon -...