Selecting many specific columns for a chart

Hi all,

I have two questions:

I have daily sales figures for a shop for the last 6 months.

I'm happy with the charts which I've produced but I really want to
produce charts which show the average sales figures for each day of the
week.

So I want a bar chart to show the average Monday turnover, average
Tuesday etc etc.

Please could someone tell me a short cut so that I can select every
column which has a Monday heading or a Tuesday heading etc etc without
physically highlighting every Monday in the last 6 months?

Secondly, within a few weeks I will run out of excel columns (I'm up to
IV) can someone please tell me how to extend Excel so that it will go
on indefinitely or is that not possible.

Thank you

porridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two questions:
>
> I have daily sales figures for a shop for the last 6 months.
>
> I'm happy with the charts which I've produced but I really want to
> produce charts which show the average sales figures for each day of the
> week.
>
> So I want a bar chart to show the average Monday turnover, average
> Tuesday etc etc.
>
> Please could someone tell me a short cut so that I can select every
> column which has a Monday heading or a Tuesday heading etc etc without
> physically highlighting every Monday in the last 6 months?
>
> Secondly, within a few weeks I will run out of excel columns (I'm up to
> IV) can someone please tell me how to extend Excel so that it will go
> on indefinitely or is that not possible.
>
> Thank you

Sorry all - I'm bumping this up in the hope that someone can give me an
answer to at least one question!

Perhaps a pivot table?

Examples and links:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"porridge" <mwcrawshaw@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> porridge wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have two questions:
>>
>> I have daily sales figures for a shop for the last 6 months.
>>
>> I'm happy with the charts which I've produced but I really want to
>> produce charts which show the average sales figures for each day of the
>> week.
>>
>> So I want a bar chart to show the average Monday turnover, average
>> Tuesday etc etc.
>>
>> Please could someone tell me a short cut so that I can select every
>> column which has a Monday heading or a Tuesday heading etc etc without
>> physically highlighting every Monday in the last 6 months?
>>
>> Secondly, within a few weeks I will run out of excel columns (I'm up to
>> IV) can someone please tell me how to extend Excel so that it will go
>> on indefinitely or is that not possible.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Sorry all - I'm bumping this up in the hope that someone can give me an
> answer to at least one question!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Match Columns
Hi there, Sorry if this has been answered before but I can�t find it anywhere. In column 1 I have a list of products code I sell. In column 2 I have my buy price. In column 3 I have all the products supplied by my supplier. In column 4 I have my supplier�s prices. Column 3 has a lot more products than I sell. What I want to do is match the products in column 1 to the products i column 3. Than I would like to delete the products that don�t matc with their prices. I hope I have explained myself properly. Thanks Bigjoe -- bigjo -------------------------------------------------------------...

How do I draw a line from top to bottom on my chart?
I have a chart on a form which reflects data based on some selections by the user. The range of values can be small (1-10), or large (38000-70000) or whatever the user requests. The data reflects actual and predicted values over several months in the past and the future. At the point at which today is on the chart, I need a line that goes from the top of the chat to the bottom. If I select the highest data value in order to draw this today line, access divides the vertical access into major units that usually exceed this value. e.g. my highest value is 97 - access gives me a maximu...

Inserting data into a Many to Many relationship
I have a many to many relationship design that I need to insert data into. basically I have an Owners table with an OwnerID and other fields, a Business table with a businessID and other information and a intermeditary OwnerBusiness table taht contains a OwnerID and BusinessID. Both the OwnerID and BusinessID are our primary keys and they are identity columns. I begin with the business table first. What would be the sequence\syntax to insert into these tables? Does the Owners table have a guaranteed unique value (and not the OwnerID) ? Does the Business table have a guarante...

Problem with Select INTO
Access 97 I am trying to create a table in a local mdb from data in a table in another mdb, without actually linking the two. Is this possible? I have tried the code below using the .Execute and the DoCmd.RunSQL without success. The error message I get with both these methods is: ..Execute = <3111-Couldn't create;no modify design permission for table or query 'tblNewData' > DoCmd.RunSQL = <3078-The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the input table or query 'tbldata'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.> The table certainly do...

hiding rows / columns when printing
is it possible to hide items when printing? Hidden rows/columns will not print. You may do it manually or with a macro that hides/prints/unhides. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "sam" <sam@msforums.com> wrote in message news:upeKNWirJHA.5912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > is it possible to hide items when printing? > ...

To calculate age until a specific date
In one list of pupils with varied dates of birth, example: Pupil: 12/01/1998; Pupil B: 08/07/1990; Pupil C: 30/06/1978; Pupil D: 25/11/1991. But he would like that the pupils with anniversary up to 30/06/2004 had the brought up to date age, excessively they would remain with the normal age Former: Pupil: 6 years, Pupil B: 23 years, Pupil C: 26 years and Pupil D: 12 years As it would be the formula, function? Assume you have in A1:B4 the data below: Pupil A.12-Jan-98 Pupil B.8-Jul-90 Pupil C.30-Jun-78 Pupil D.25-Nov-91 Put in D1: 30-Jun-04 (the "anniversary date") Put in C1: =ROU...

Smartlist Export solution exporting to a specific sheet of an Exce
Have multiple Smartlists that would like to export to different worksheets of the same Excel file. Can't figure out how to get the export solution to recognize. Any help would be great!! For each smartlist favourite will have a separate export solution. In each export solution, you will need a "before macro" This macro needs to switch to and effectively activate that sheet into which you want the data delivered. The workbook defined in the export solution will need as many macros as there are sheets which you are exporting into from Smartlist. ------ Robert ...

How do I make column headings vertical in Excel
I am doing a report and need to make column headings vertical and cannot figure out how to do it. Select the headings you want vertical, goto>formate cells>look at "orientation and select the vertical (Text) box. Mike Rogers -- The only dumb question is the one you did not ask. "bb" wrote: > I am doing a report and need to make column headings vertical and cannot > figure out how to do it. Or if you meant you want them to become row headings instead of column headings then copy all, paste special, check transpose, click ok... "Mike Rogers" wrote...

xpath again
Hi again, I'm using the following xpath (works in visualizer) with a SelectSingleNode("xpath") statement. //Station[@name="Station1"]/(WI[Boards/Board[@sn="583230"][@finish]])[la st()]]/@order Problem is I get an error "expression passed to this method should result in a NodeSet". Of course, that (sort of) makes sense to me now (I suppose just an attribute couldn't be a nodeset, but how would I go about: I need to determine if and what <WI> element is the parent of the last <Board> is according to the above xpath. I then need to ...

Selecting All Cells
Hi, I have a workbook with x number of sheets in it, each sheet contains x rows. The top row being the column titles. I need to write a macro/VB to select all rows containing data except the title row, and paste them into a total sheet. What I really need is something more complex, but this will do for starters ! Hope you can help. TIA Deus -- Does Not Exist Deus Range(Range("A2"), Range("A2").End(xlDown)).EntireRow.Copy Destination:=Sheets("Total").Range("A2") -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net --------------------...

How do I set Line chart y Axis variable X axis value?
I need to produce a line chart with the lines running north to south rather than east to west. Anyone done anything like this? John, Possibly Stephen Bullen's "FunChrt2" example on this page can help - scroll down the page - it's a little ways down: http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/Default.htm ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "John T" wrote: > I need to produce a line chart with the lines running north to south rather > than east to west. Anyone done anything like this? ...

How can SUM a column based on values of other columns?
I need help Suming up Amount column based on values of three different columns. Let's say I have the following Detail Data: Month Institute Account Type Amount Memo 1/1/2008 Bank of America Checking 500 Deposit 1/1/2008 Bank of America Checking -200 Check #111 1/1/2008 Bank of America Saving 400 Deposit 1/1/2008 Bank of America Saving 150 Deposit 1/1/2008 CitiBank Checking 50 Deposit 1/1/2008 CitiBank Saving 100 Deposit How can I SUM t...

Assign Chart Title w/ VBA
This is a cross-post from "Programming" yesterday - There were no replies Last month, Jon Peltier was kind enough to give me the below code to set a Chart's Title With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("OneMonth").ChartObjects(2).Char .HasTitle = Tru .ChartTitle.Text = "Monthly Scrap Dollars End Wit My question, I am not able to concatenate a named Range like.. .ChartTitle.Text = "Monthly Scrap Dollars " & ATitle ---> where ATitle is a named range filled i thru automation within Access (yes it works from Access)...IE "From 1/1/04 To 1/19/04 I...

merging two data series into one chart?
Hello everyone, I am trying to get a line graph along with a stacked column graph (each with different values, but with the same x and y axis) in the same chart. The columns have forecasted data and the line has actual data. Is this possible? I can't find any info on this... jeevesTRAV wrote: > I am trying to get a line graph along with a stacked > column graph (each with different values, but with the > same x and y axis) in the same chart. Have you tried Jon Peltier's page? This might be what you want... http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/BarLineComb...

Upgrade to Great Plains Dynamics 9.0 error, Column PRODID not foun
Hello, I am attempting a test upgrade from Great Plains 7.5 to Dynamics 9.0 and I get an error during the system tables upgrade portion, right at the 'Load Additional Required Data' step. The error message is: The following SQL statement produced an error: delete from DU000010 where PRODID=258 followed by: ERROR [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'PRODID'. I checked the DU000010 table and the column does NOT exist. I also tried upgrading from 7.5 to 8.0, which worked, but when I then try to upgrade that 8.0 to 9.0, I still get the sa...

Have Lost "To" column in Sent folder
I am running Outlook 2003 on XP. I have accidentally deleted the "To" column in the Sent folder and cannot find a way to get it back. Could anyone please help me with this? Thanks. -- Derek View-> Arrange By-> Custom...-> button Reset Current View -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Derek Chilvers" <DerekChilvers@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Simple Select Query
I am trying to perform a select query to select all records that are NOT in both tables. So I have tblPROJHIST and tblWMSNEW and they both have project # fields. What I am trying to do is find all the new project # records in tblWMSNEW that are not in tblPROJHIST and put them in tblPROJHIST. Thanks If the tblPROJHIST project # field is a unique index or primary key field, just do an append query from tblWMSNEW into tblPROJHIST. The unique index or primary key will prevent duplicate project #'s from being added to the table. You should get an error message saying how many record...

Teh selected object could not be found
I am desperately trying to remove account shared rights from a user whose account has been deleted from the domain. I tried using the hotfix and registry key for this problem, but that one is specifically for Account Owner Rights. This user has shared rights to the account and I can not remove her or add anyone else to it. I get the following message: The Selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exists in the database and Active Directory. She is already out of the directory, how can I remove her manually from the database? I am thinkin of deleting her from the S...

Help identify column differences
Hi I have a spreadshheet with 2 of the columns being "Interest Paid" & "Interest Due". I need to add a formula that will show me where the two columns have different values or the same values. For instance, if Interest due is 400 & interest paid is 400, I would like the cell next to it to say, "DELETE". If however the Interest Due is 400 and Interest Paid is any other amount other than 400, I would like the cell next to it to say "KEEP" and, if possible, formatted to be RED. Many thanks Malcolm Davidson See this webpage Malcolm ht...

Go To Specific Record after Requery
I have a main form . . . frmStudentEnrollment I have a pop-up form . . . frmPhotoEntry When the user wants to add a photograph to the main form, they click on a button that opens the popup. When the popup opens the Win Open/Save window opens to allow the user to select the photo. When the user has selected the photo, they click a button to close the popup and save the file path to the recordset. Here's the problem. I requery the main form just before the popup closes. Of course the recordset goes back to the first record. I want the user to stay with the record they were popp...

How do I get 18 numbers to display in a column and not round out
I need a column to display 18 numbers and currently it is rounding the last three with zeros. I am using Microsoft 2003 How many digits in the numbers More than 15? Then you will need to type then as text and will not be able to do math on them Either a) when typing, precede the entry with a single quote (will not show in cell or printout b) before typing, format cells as Text best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters "whamm24" <whamm24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

How to present Many
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_016B_01C394FE.03560940 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable It's easy to present "One - Many" relationship in XML, but how to present "Many - Many" relationship in XML? ------=_NextPart_000_016B_01C394FE.03560940 Content-Type: text/html; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type...

Rounding formula won't copy to other cells in column
I have a formula in cell G2 that reads: =round(F2,0). I'm using this to round the value in cell F2 and remove decimal places. The entire "F" column has values I want to round, and I am unable to "fill" the formula so that I can get the rounded values of each record in the range. What should I be looking for? So what *does* happen when you copy the formula in G2 to other cells in the column? Check to make sure Calculation is set to Automatic (Tools/Options/Calculation). In article <1933354D-C4AE-4051-87BD-29AF728A57DA@microsoft.com>, LindaO <Linda...

Pivot Chart #7
In Pivotchart, Everytime I press the refresh button,How can I keep the same chart type I like? (but not a default chart). Thanks. XL retains only certain aspects of a customized PivotChart. One option would be to create a macro that does the customization you want. The other is to create a normal chart from the data in a PT. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <418a01c4a015$75c998c0$a301280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > In Pivotchart, Every...

data validation of range, email specific row
Hi I'm trying to validate the data in cells C5:D5 if boths cells are yes, I would like it to send the row with both yes values and then set E5 to yes c d e tested? success? emailed? I don't know how to validate a range, I only figured out how to do one cell.. Sub Yes() Sheets("Sheet1").Select If Range("C5").Value = "Yes" Then MsgBox "Yes." End If End Sub How do I tell it to send the email after How do get it to send just the heading row and the row with c5:d5 value = yes as a html table? How do I set...