selecting chart data range using arrow keys

Hello,

In the past I have been able to select the data range (ie source data) for a
chart by (a) clicking on the little square button at the far right end of the
source range, which brings me to the spreadsheet; and (b) then using arrow
keys to move around and SHIFT select data.

OK, I can still do this.  But the rub is this: I used to be able to
CTRL-arrow around to select ranges, which is very handy in big spreadsheets,
since it can bring you to the next full cell (like using the Scout (#9) in
Stratego).

But now I can't CTRL-arrow around anymore to select chart data, leaving me
plodding through with the regular arrow, or worse trying to manipulate the
scroll bar.

Any ideas? (I'm using Excel 2003).

Thank you!
--