Scientific plotting, non-zero x-axis origin, and number labeling

I want to plot some spectroscopy data. The range of x-data (wavelength) is
from 270 to 1100 nm. However, I would like the x-axis lablels to read only
300, 400, etc., rather than 270, 370, 470... Is there any way in Excel 2003
or later to change the position on the axis where number labeling begins? I
know this is possible in other plotting programs, but would prefer Excel for
student use. Thanks for any help one way or the other.

0
Mike1154 (1216)

"Viterbo Mike" <Viterbo Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to plot some spectroscopy data. The range of x-data (wavelength) is
> from 270 to 1100 nm. However, I would like the x-axis lablels to read only
> 300, 400, etc., rather than 270, 370, 470... Is there any way in Excel
> 2003
> or later to change the position on the axis where number labeling begins?
> know this is possible in other plotting programs, but would prefer Excel
> for
> student use. Thanks for any help one way or the other.

Change the X-axis minimum from 270 to 200.
--
David Biddulph

0
david4578 (116)
5/13/2006 4:20:17 PM
Viterbo Mike  -

Arrange data with X in a column on the left and Y on the right. Select both
and use the Chart Wizard to create an XY (Scatter) chart type. Select the X
axis and choose Format | Axis | Scale etc.

-  Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

"Viterbo Mike" <Viterbo Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to plot some spectroscopy data. The range of x-data (wavelength) is
> from 270 to 1100 nm. However, I would like the x-axis lablels to read only
> 300, 400, etc., rather than 270, 370, 470... Is there any way in Excel
> 2003
> or later to change the position on the axis where number labeling begins?
> know this is possible in other plotting programs, but would prefer Excel
> for
> student use. Thanks for any help one way or the other.

But if you want to start the axis at 270, and still show your ticks at
300-400-500, you can use this technique:

  http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

In your case it's pretty easy. You don't need special labels, just use the
category value labels, one of the defaults.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Mike Middleton" <middleton@mikemiddleton.com> wrote in message
> Viterbo Mike  -
>
> Arrange data with X in a column on the left and Y on the right. Select
> both and use the Chart Wizard to create an XY (Scatter) chart type. Select
> the X axis and choose Format | Axis | Scale etc.
>
> -  Mike
> www.mikemiddleton.com
>

> "Viterbo Mike" <Viterbo Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I want to plot some spectroscopy data. The range of x-data (wavelength) is
>> from 270 to 1100 nm. However, I would like the x-axis lablels to read
>> only
>> 300, 400, etc., rather than 270, 370, 470... Is there any way in Excel
>> 2003
>> or later to change the position on the axis where number labeling begins?
>> know this is possible in other plotting programs, but would prefer Excel
>> for
>> student use. Thanks for any help one way or the other.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Filter non-USA domains using rules in Outlook 2003
Hello! I want to create a set of rules on my wife's computer in Outlook 2003 that will drop any mail coming from foreign domains (.cz, .ng, .ru, .it, .mx, etc) in order to reduce spam. Almost all the spam she gets comes from domains outside the US. I have created a rule in Outlook 2003 and it works well, but inputting nearly 250 domains to drop is a pain. I would like to import a text file of domain suffixes to drop, but I do not know how to do it. Can an import of a text file be done to create or add to a rule? Another annoyance: when I add the "except if sender is in Contacts addr...

Changing SMTP port number on EXCH 5.5.
Hi Folks, I am trying to install an Anti-Spam tool from Trend and it is recomended that I change the SMTP port number for my exchange server to something other than 25. They say that port 25 should be used for the A-S software and then it would be forwarded to the corresponding mailbox once passed inspection (for the lack of a better term). I changed the port number in the services file in the windows\system32\drivers\etc directory and when I do we stop receiving email. I'm stumped... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Joe Lio Director of IT S.F.E.C.U. You should go to th...

How to I make the Excel horizontal axis count up then down
I am trying to fit two sets of data on the same chart to make an acid/base titration curve. I need the horizontal axis to could from 0 to 25 then back to 0. That way if the increments where in units of 25 the axis would be numbered like this: 0 --------- 25 ----------0 You can use a line chart, with labels of 0 through 25 through 0. These labels will not have any numerical significance. Or you can really plot X values ranging from 0 to 50, but add fake axis labels that follow your pattern. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartI...

How do I create a two axis chart
I wish to create a two axis line chart displaying height vs. reaction mass. I cannot seem to find a way for excel to display this information. Can someone help me out? Do you mean an x-y chart or one with two y axes? url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10295928.aspx ...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Error bars plot black triangles
In Excel 2007, when I try to plot vertical error bars on a chart with no zero or negative values it gives me the standard error that "Negative or zero values cannot be plotted correctly on log charts." Then when it actually graphs the data there are strange black triangles stretching across the chart that should not be there. I know that if I uncheck the "logarithmic" box it will show correctly, but the x-axis needs to be logarithmic for this to work for what I need. There is another thread here that I am aware of but the solution that worked for that person did no...

Can Query-Based Distribution Groups within Exchange 2003 be used to email all the members of a (non mail enabled) security group?
Can Query-Based Distribution Groups within Exchange 2003 be used to email all the members of a (non mail enabled) security group? It would be really handy for me as a system admin to email all the members of a security group who use certain applications very occasionally, without having to mail enable the group. I was wondering if you can do this using the QBDGs feature. I have just played with it, and it did not work - but it is entirely possible that I did something wrong? Incidentally, my domain is 2000, even though the Exchange server is running W2K3 and Exchange 2K3. Any thoughts? Thank...

Y-Axis Label won't let me resize it
I have a long title on my y-axis of a scatter plot (ex. Concentration (mg/L)) and excel cuts the title off after it is only partially displayed (ex. Concentr). In other versions of excel I could resize the axis label to contain all the text but it will not let me and the X-axis doesn't do the same thing it resizes itself correctly. The only alternative is to make the font so small that it is illegable. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this. I''m using MS Office 2000, if that is somehting you need to know. ...

Entourage X (Mac) - OWA
I have a user that never sleeps. He has a G4 and is running OSX. On his OSX box he uses Entourage X to get sync his palm with Exchange and to get his email. When he is out of the office or on the road he is using OWA. He has added things into his calendar through OWA, which are not synchronizing into his Entourage and thus not going to his palm. I do wonder why he didn't just type them into his palm in the first place, but, he is a VP and I can't question his thinking. Is there a reason why the exchange server isn't talking to Entourage? He gets his email through there just fine, ...

Type a number and data appears from another sheet
I have a document that lists volunteers and their personal info (name, email, phone etc.) with the Week number (1-5) of the Sunday when they help out. Some volunteers are in age group K-2nd and the others are in 3rd-5th. What I am doing at the moment is sorting by Week number and then filtering by week number (e.g. 2 for the second Sunday of the month). I then copy that information to another sheet in the same workbook. What I would like to do is just type a week number e.g. 2 in A1 of "This Week" sheet and then somehow *magically* have all the people from both K-2nd and 3rd...

duplicate numbers being given different rankings
Have list of percentages which have been sourced from another sheet within an excel document - when i rank these some duplicates are given the same ranking and some are given different rankings eg. 2 results of 6.16% were both ranked 13 while 2 results of 6.11% were ranked 10 & 11 Increase the number of decimals to see whether the cells contents are exactly same or is rounded off and displayed as 6.11 -- Jacob "Mantis" wrote: > Have list of percentages which have been sourced from another sheet within an > excel document - when i rank these some dup...

Changing Item Number
I have a standard PO entered and I now would like to receive the item. The only problem is that the item number now needs to be changed. Any suggestions on the best way to handle this working in version 10.0? Thanks, Craig Craig, has the PO been released (printed)? If so, you won't be able to change the item. If not, you can delete the item and add the correct one. If it has been released, cancel the line item quantity (open the PO, expand the scrolling window, enter the quantity to cancel in the 'Quantity Canceled' field. Then, add a new line for the correct item. Hope t...

Lost original Office CD
I can guess the answer to this question, but it's possible someone out there has a solution. I've been using an upgrade version of MS Office for a long time. I am pretty sure the original full-price purchase was Office 98. As I've gone through various hardware upgrades (Performa, iMac, G3 Blue, G5 dual 2.0), I've simply upgraded Office through Office 2001 and now Office v. X. I was planning to get Office 2004, along with the $10 upgade to Office 2008. Recently, however, I had to wipe and reformat the drive on my G5, and am now going through the process of reinstalling all app...

Outside Label Position not listed
I have 2 charts in a workbook. The first Chart has Outside End as a label position. The second chart doesn't have this option. I don't know why one would have it and the other not. Help please!!?? Hi, Is it possible that the 2 charts are not the same sub-type. Column clustered and column stacked with a single series would look the same but have different data label alignment options. Cheers Andy Debbie wrote: > I have 2 charts in a workbook. The first Chart has Outside End as a label > position. The second chart doesn't have this option. I don't know why one >...

I get gaps in bar chart when using weekday values only in x-axis
Plotting a stock bar chart and using weekdays only (no weekend date values) as the x-axis (category labels) leavs med with gaps in the bar chart. How do i plot the chart without the gaps? Regards If you are talking about gaps between the bars for each day, double click on the series you want to format and select the OPTIONS tab. Adjust the GAP WIDTH as needed. "Bj�rn Elfvin" <Bjrn Elfvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B91F7487-0D1E-4F58-96B8-2FCA2DBE507E@microsoft.com... > Plotting a stock bar chart and using weekdays only (no weekend date values) ...

count number of values between plus signs in addition calc
I'd like to count the number of values that a user enters in an excel simple addition calculation. For example, if the cell has "=17+256", I'd like to get the count of "2". If the cell has "=101+2+0+65", I'd like to get the count of "4". Is there a way to parse this 'function' string? Everything I've tried so far starts *after* the cell value has been calculated (e.g. it's working with a single value of 273 and a single value of 168 for the two examples above, respectively). Thanks, - Cathy Hi Cathy, Use this Use...

Non-Inventory Items
How do you receive a non-inventory item on a Purchase Order? RCR, It should work exactly the same way as when you receive an inventory item. Is this not working for you? If so, can you describe exactly what you're doing and where it stops working? -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "rcr" <rcr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0153C0D4-8F8B-4D2F-8DB1-B8D4B6209D64@microsoft.com... > How do you receive a non-inventory item on a Purchase Order? have not tried as yet, I thought it would have been different, thanks "Vi...

Sequential numbering of records
Having read the various postings on the subject i am more confused than ever. what I want to do is to create a field that will contain sequential numbers starting with an initial number of say 20000 and incrementing by 1 such that record 1 is 20000, record 2 is 20001, record 3 is 20003 etc as each record is entered using an input form. Something similar perhaps to the series fill in Excel or a customisable autonumber field. my question is what is the simplest way of doing this for what would seem to be a fairly common problem in the Form_Current Sub Me.CustomNumberField.DefaultValue =...

Create a calendar from a non gui list
In Calendar Creator Plus there is an option to build a calendar based on a list. You build a list like 01/10/2009, Go to meeting, Board Room 01/15/2009, Staff Luncheon, Applebees and so forth, then you can build a calendar based on this list (or database). Is there a way to do this in MS Publisher? ...

Indian style Number Format
Dear Friends, Can any one pls Tell me how to format the Numbers as Indian Style. For Eg : i need to have Number format Like 11,11,11,252.00 Insted of 111,111,111.00 Regards, Mahesh This is from Bernard Liengme -------------------------------------------- From a Google search here is a reply by David Richie to the same question in January If you have Excel 2002 or later look up bhattext in help. Otherwise the following format might help you [>=10000000]##\,##\,##\,##0.00;[>=100000]##\,##\,##0.00;##,##0.00 (This format separates groups for India/Thailand, format valid for pos...

How can I make a cell a certain color dependent on number value?
I am wondering if it is possible to come up with a formula that colors cells dependent on the numerical value. (ie If a=30 color will be blue, if a=40 color will be red, etc.) Thanks Hi Sue, You can do this with conditional formatting under format. Pat "Sue" wrote: > I am wondering if it is possible to come up with a formula that colors cells > dependent on the numerical value. (ie If a=30 color will be blue, if a=40 > color will be red, etc.) > > Thanks ...

Need help printing labels from CRM campaign
Is there a way to Needs print labels from aCRM campaign activity. I know you can do a "Letter" Activity, but can you do labels? ...

Outline Numbering in 2007
How could I create a style that includes Outline numbering in 2007? In 2003, new style can be made with defining Numbering. I see only single numbering and bullet in new style with 2007. Thx In Word 2007, you can quickly create outline numbering via Home tab | Multilevel List; just pick a format that you want from the List Library. If you want heading numbering, choose a list format that includes the heading styles. To create outline numbering from start, click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. You are presented with a dialog box similar to the Cu...

how can i move verticall axis to left?
when i try to draw a chart verticall axis take place in the right instead of left Format the scale of the horizontal axis, and adjust the 'crosses at' settings. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "ali reza" <ali reza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF3E93FB-C176-411F-8B32-9B7AE682D1E0@microsoft.com... > when i try to draw a chart verticall axis take place in the right instead > of > left ...

Number of Graphs in Excel
Have heard rumours that there is a maximum no of graphs that can be in an Excel workbook. What is that number. I currently have 126 and am looking to increase, but don't want to lose everything in the process. What is the work around if there is a limit, or is there a patch? :confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...