Scatter graph, how do I show overlapping points?

I have a scatter graph with a number of points that over lap. How do I show
them so that the reader can tell there are multiple points.

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
KieranMoran <KieranMoran@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I have a scatter graph with a number of points that over lap. How do I show
>them so that the reader can tell there are multiple points.

a) "Jittering", which is the name for putting a small random variation
in the data to break up the exact values. Obviously you want it to be as
small as possible while still exposing the hidden points

b) a non-random variation, moving the hidden points exactly and
systematically away from the first point and each other. This can create
a pattern that lets you show the first point as the one which is on the
right spot

c) A different symbol for multiple points, 1, 2, 3 etc., with a legend
to explain what the points mean

d) a bubble graph, with the bubbles proportional in area to the number
of overlapping points

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

font printing problem of imported visio file inside power point file
I am having a problem with VISIO 2002 with PowerPoint 2000. I made a drawing with some fonts with VISIO 2002. Then I copied the drawing and pasted into PowerPoint file. In screen, I can clearly see the font. When I print the file, drawings are there but there are no font from printed paper. Would you please help me out regarding this problem? ...

Showing Filename in Cell
Hi, Can anyone help with how to return filenames in cells? Thanks. Neil Holmes. One way =LEFT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),FIND(".", MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255))+3) assuming you are using one period in the file name like in *.xls -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Neil Holmes" <naholmes@ark-elec.com> wrote in message news:%23GQQsNjxDHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Can anyone help with how to return filenames in cells? > ...

Chart won't show zero percent
I am doing a pie chart using a quick style design that shows the lines in between the different percentages. Some of the charts show a percentage with the lines when the value is zero and two of my charts erase all but one of the lines when a zero is placed in one of the cells. What's up with that? and How do I correct it? Since with zero value the lines of the pie would be on top of each other, I am not sure what one would expect to see! best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PURVIANCE" <PURVIANCE...

Possible to turn off graph refresh temporarily?
Graphs in 2007 are very slow to refresh after refreshing a data connection. When I remove the 30 graphs in my spreadsheet and refresh the data connections, it refreshes in less than a second. When the graphs are present, it's more than 10 seconds. Is there any way (VBA?) to disable the refreshing of the graphs until after the data connection refreshes have completed, and then to re-enable them? Kind of like a "manual calculation" mode for graphs. Thanks! I'm not aware of anything that allows you to stop the graph refreshing as such. However, you might be able to get ...

Can Distribution List Sent Show Only One Recipient in Emails Recei
This is a re-write of a previous post, that didn’t get resolved. I’m restating it here to get a fresh start / better response. Also, please note that I’m not very technically savvy, so if there is a solve for this, please advise me in very plain language. Thanks in advance. Scenario: I'm a new user of Outlook 2007. Say I have a large group of clients. I want to create a boilerplate email for, that goes out to all the recipients. However, I want each email sent to be received by a single client, and at the same time not have that client be aware of the other clients (It...

Show gridlines only prints every other line
Every time I try to print a document in Excel 2003 and use the show gridlines feature, it only prints the lines every other line. It will print a line then skip one and then print a line and so on. Does anybody have an idea what is causing this, or how to fix it. Appreciate any assistance, Jason ...

How can I place the legend next to the data point on a chart?
In Excel 2003 there was an place the legend next to a data point. I just upgraded to Office 2007 and can not find this option. Hi, Select the data labels and right click. Format Data Labels to bring up the Format dialog. Select Label Options in the list. The 3rd section has the checkbox 'Include legend key in label' Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "LW52" <LW52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECE67856-47D5-4C87-A13B-637353098E7D@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2003 there was an place the legend next to ...

Share Point & MS CRM
In notes section, how to attach a document link on the SPS server to the MS CRM? When creating a note It only uses Upload method.. ...

Points of Reorden
I need to know as to update information of the points of they reorden and replacement levels This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0601_01C743D3.70C7C810 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Arelysas, You can make mass changes to the Re-Order points and the Re-Stock levels = by running a Task 160. SO Manager | Wizards | Inventory Wizards | Task 160 --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=...

graphs #5
I have a graph that contains over 60 products being graphed. When the graph is completed it is all a big mess you cant see what is what - please help In article <41EC72A8-36FA-4381-9FCB-C2647D7D54E4@microsoft.com>, Shari@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I have a graph that contains over 60 products being graphed. When the graph > is completed it is all a big mess you cant see what is what - please help > Help with what? What do you expect someone to suggest? The only things that come to mind are: (1) Increase the size of the chart (2) Reduce the amount of informati...

Document Map showing
On one of my reports that I open via web server I get the preview display fine but it shows a "Document Map" section at the left that shows the ID number I am using as a link parameter in a subreport. How can I get rid of this when running the report? Thanks. -- David ...

filtering the graphs
Hello, here is the issue. This is important for me. I have the graph object in Report that have row source from query. Query have fields A, B, C while graph only uses A and B. Now here comes the problem, I want to dynamically filter records using field C. When I apply filter in open.report where clause it does not work here. How can I bypass it? Thanx m ...

can send but can receive- event log shows loop within Exchange
Hi all, When I try to send email to my exchange 2003 server from an external email account I never get the email. I get the following error message in my event log. ------------------------ A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.3.5 was generated for recipient rfc822;adrown@[192.168.2.249] (Message-ID <200411090532.iA95WemV015823@gatekeeper.com>). Causes: A looping condition was detected. (The server is configured to route mail back to itself). If you have multiple SMTP Virtual Servers configured on your Exchange server, make sure they are defined by a unique incoming port and t...

Can Excel use addresses to create points on a Map?
I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show up on a map of California/U.S.A. I was wondering if anyone has done that and can help me. Hi, Excel does not have such a feature. -- Sorry, Shane Devenshire "Nate" wrote: > I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show up > on a map of California/U.S.A. I was wondering if anyone has done that and > can help me. On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, ShaneDevenshire <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >Excel does not h...

how do I recognize that my window is overlapped by another window
Hi How to recognize that my application window is overlapped by another application window. Thanks Anup Hi Dont know if this is the soln but try using the WINDOWINFO structure in GetWindowInfo() function. also try GetTopWindow() which returns the handle to top window and compare with the handle to your window. Thanks Sachin anup.kataria@gmail.com wrote: > Hi > How to recognize that my application window is overlapped by another > application window. > > Thanks > Anup ...

How to show completed/canceled appointments?
Hi We are using MSCRM 1.2 When an appt is closed or canceled, it "disappears" from the Calendar. How can we keep them displayed in the calendar? Thnks Jeff CORCEL SYSTEMS SDN BHD, www.corcelsystems.com We design and develop business-led database-driven web applications. Jeff, There is a SQL job that runs on a periodic basis that does this "delete". You could modify this job or disable it. Matt On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:07:18 +0800, Corcel CRM <ebusiness@DELETEcorcelsystems.com> wrote: Hi We are using MSCRM 1.2 When an appt is closed or canceled, it "dis...

Show related records for custom entity
I have a custom entity. When I go to History I can not see the related records from contacts, opportunities, etc. They are not rolling up and there is no pick list to show related records or not. Is there a way to change this? Thanks, -Rick M On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:33:49 -0800, Rick M <RickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a custom entity. When I go to History I can not see the related >records from contacts, opportunities, etc. They are not rolling up and there >is no pick list to show related records or not. Is there a way to change >this? > As...

Calculate the total overlapping time of multiple tasks, excluding non-working times
I am developing a tracking calculator for an overall process. Within the overall process, there are 3 steps which are completed. These steps can be completed independently from one another, but can also (sometimes) overlap. I am trying to determine the total time for the overall process (from beginning to end), without counting the duplicated times where the steps are running parallel to one another, or times when some steps may be completed and are waiting for another to start. I have outlined the basic design of the worksheet below, with times in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format. S...

Creating a "step" effect with line graphs
I have a graph that charts a velocity over time. As the velocity decreases I want to display the maximum integer velocity possible (without going over) at that time. The problem is that I would like to have the integer values displayed without diagonal lines (can't have fractional parts of a whole number). I know there is a way to do it (a friend did this once, but can't remember how). Can anyone think of how to do this? Code: -------------------- +-----------+-------+-----+ | Date | Vel | Int | +-----------+-------+-----+ | 13-Jan-04 | 24.58 | 24 | | 14-Jan-04 ...

Graphs -- Cross Platform Compatibility
I am using OS X 10.3 and Office v.X with all service packages up to date. My office is using Office 2000 and Windows 2000/XP. All service packages are up to date on Office. I have created two very simple graphs in Microsoft Graph (via Powerpoint) on my Mac. They are bar graphs (2-D) with very few frills. I have transfered the Powerpoint presentations to coworkers. No one in the office can open the graphs. The slides show up as little "missing graphic" Xs in the presentation. I'm really good with computers, but short of saving the graphs as a graphic file (which I don't wa...

Update picture changes wrap points, Pub 2002 & 03
I have struggled with this problem for six months. Whenever I update a graphic in Pub 2002 or 03beta2, any custom wrap points are erased. It is interesting to note the transparency setting used via the "Magic Wand" will be the same, and the default wrap settings are the same. E.g. White is still transparent, and Tight is still Tight, but the one wrap point I moved to generate white space between the girl's hair and the text defaults to Tight. This behavior was not evident in Pub 2000, which I have used for two years. Someone suggested reclicking Text Wrapping and reselecting Tig...

Pivot Table Show Detail
I have a pivot table that i would like to use the ShowDetail property on... I know how to code for this BUT I want the extract to always extract to a specific range or sheet. Is this possible and if so how? ps Excel 2007 Thanks in advance. ...

Colour part of a line on an X Y graph
I have an XY graph which connects the series with a line. Lets say the series runs left to right on the chart creating a straight horizontal line. Is it possible to have multiple colours on that line? That is, I want to colour certain portion of the line a certain colour and other portion another colour. Is this possible Hi, You can format the line between points by selecting the series and then selecting the specific line segment. Use CTRL+1 to bring up the format dialog. Note that formatting the line segment will affect the legend so you might be better off plotting additional d...

Scatter chart not plotting correct range
Have setup a scatter Chart but the x-axis is plotting the element position rather than my x variable. The y variable is correct. eg. A2:A20 contains var1. B2:B20 contains var2. Var1 plots correctly on y-axis. Var2 does not plot at all, instead plots the element position i.e. 1-19. Var1 and Var2 are assigned as 1 series with correet Y and X ranges respectively. Am i making sense? Anyone know what the problem is here? Bruce If even one cell in the X values range is non-numeric (except for #N/A), Excel will treat all of the X values as a list of categories. Make sure the numbers are r...

Hide formula, show result
I have a formula typed into a cell. The cell displays the formula not the result of the formula. The options are set to hide formulas. I know this has something to do with cell formats but I don't recall the solution. Please refresh my memory!!! Thanks Could it be that you have: tools|Options|View Tab|Formulas checked? Or do you have that formula cell formatted as Text? DWJ wrote: > > I have a formula typed into a cell. The cell displays > the formula not the result of the formula. > The options are set to hide formulas. > I know this has something to do with cel...