scatter chart won't accept primary axis

Can someone explain what is happening.  I have a very standard line graph w/
dates in col.A & values in col.F. In cols. X&Y I have the following.

               06/30/08      2.95          These pairs of data represent
trend lines in the
--             07/25/08      4.21          original data.
                  "space"
               08/04/08      3.41
               0910/08        4.95
                   "space"
                01/27/09       .36
                02/11/09       .49
 I select the two ranges, copy, select chart and ctrl+V.  I choose this
secondary graph to be a scatter chart.  It appears as I want except it needs
to be on the primary axis.  I select axis option, primary axis.  The
selection goes into a non-response period for quite a long time and leaves me
with a x-axis range from 2008 to 2093.  If I add a third set of trend lines
the non-response time extends forever and it has no idea what range I want,
GeneS
0
Gene8063 (28)

You left out a few important details:

What version of Excel (include latest SP) are you using?
What is in the graph before you added this data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

"Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone explain what is happening.  I have a very standard line graph
> w/
> dates in col.A & values in col.F. In cols. X&Y I have the following.
>
>               06/30/08      2.95          These pairs of data represent
> trend lines in the
> --             07/25/08      4.21          original data.
>                  "space"
>               08/04/08      3.41
>               0910/08        4.95
>                   "space"
>                01/27/09       .36
>                02/11/09       .49
> I select the two ranges, copy, select chart and ctrl+V.  I choose this
> secondary graph to be a scatter chart.  It appears as I want except it
> needs
> to be on the primary axis.  I select axis option, primary axis.  The
> selection goes into a non-response period for quite a long time and leaves
> me
> with a x-axis range from 2008 to 2093.  If I add a third set of trend
> lines
> the non-response time extends forever and it has no idea what range I
> want,
> GeneS

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/16/2009 5:15:42 PM
I'm using 2007,  I've donwloaded sp2.  The chart I added to was consecutive
dates in column A and an equal number of values interspersed with #N/A in
col. F.  Since I last wrote I downloade Mehtas algorithm forspecxifying date
limits.  It didn't solve the problem but it did allow me create the chart
after a long wait each time.  In fact I thought I had it licked when without
my unmderstanding, I started to get response.  I was even able to copy the
chart, add data, create chart sheets, everything I wanted.  I shut down for
the evening and when I tried to load again Excel simply shut down.  "Window
is looking at the problem.  I'm baffled!!
--
GeneS

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You left out a few important details:
>
> What version of Excel (include latest SP) are you using?
> What is in the graph before you added this data?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>
> Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> _______
>

> "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone explain what is happening.  I have a very standard line graph
> > w/
> > dates in col.A & values in col.F. In cols. X&Y I have the following.
> >
> >               06/30/08      2.95          These pairs of data represent
> > trend lines in the
> > --             07/25/08      4.21          original data.
> >                  "space"
> >               08/04/08      3.41
> >               0910/08        4.95
> >                   "space"
> >                01/27/09       .36
> >                02/11/09       .49
> > I select the two ranges, copy, select chart and ctrl+V.  I choose this
> > secondary graph to be a scatter chart.  It appears as I want except it
> > needs
> > to be on the primary axis.  I select axis option, primary axis.  The
> > selection goes into a non-response period for quite a long time and leaves
> > me
> > with a x-axis range from 2008 to 2093.  If I add a third set of trend
> > lines
> > the non-response time extends forever and it has no idea what range I
> > want,
> > GeneS

0
Gene8063 (28)
5/17/2009 12:05:01 AM
How many dates are in column A? Excel 2003 has disappointing chart
performance with data sets that don't seem all that large. SP2 is reputed to
have helped with this, but I don't think by a spectacular amount (i.e., not
close to previous version performance).

I haven't known it to be so bad as to completely crash Excel and not allow
it to restart.

- Jon
-------

> I'm using 2007,  I've donwloaded sp2.  The chart I added to was
> consecutive
> dates in column A and an equal number of values interspersed with #N/A in
> col. F.  Since I last wrote I downloade Mehtas algorithm forspecxifying
> date
> limits.  It didn't solve the problem but it did allow me create the chart
> after a long wait each time.  In fact I thought I had it licked when
> without
> my unmderstanding, I started to get response.  I was even able to copy the
> chart, add data, create chart sheets, everything I wanted.  I shut down
> for
> the evening and when I tried to load again Excel simply shut down.
> "Window
> is looking at the problem.  I'm baffled!!
> --
> GeneS
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> You left out a few important details:
>>
>> What version of Excel (include latest SP) are you using?
>> What is in the graph before you added this data?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>>
>> Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
>> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
>> _______
>>

>> "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can someone explain what is happening.  I have a very standard line
>> > graph
>> > w/
>> > dates in col.A & values in col.F. In cols. X&Y I have the following.
>> >
>> >               06/30/08      2.95          These pairs of data represent
>> > trend lines in the
>> > --             07/25/08      4.21          original data.
>> >                  "space"
>> >               08/04/08      3.41
>> >               0910/08        4.95
>> >                   "space"
>> >                01/27/09       .36
>> >                02/11/09       .49
>> > I select the two ranges, copy, select chart and ctrl+V.  I choose this
>> > secondary graph to be a scatter chart.  It appears as I want except it
>> > needs
>> > to be on the primary axis.  I select axis option, primary axis.  The
>> > selection goes into a non-response period for quite a long time and
>> > leaves
>> > me
>> > with a x-axis range from 2008 to 2093.  If I add a third set of trend
>> > lines
>> > the non-response time extends forever and it has no idea what range I
>> > want,
>> > GeneS

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/17/2009 1:50:25 AM
I'vee had some revelations since I last wrote.  I believe the Excel crashes
were a result of leaving a chart sheet open. It seems to happen every time.
At least on this program.  I haven't tried it elsewhere.  I got around the
switch of a secondary axis to a primary by introducing T. Mehtas' algorithm.
I left the secondary active while I stipulated the limits for it to be the
catagory limits of the primary.  I think it continued to use the secondary
axis but the stipulation allowed me to ignor the numerics of the scatter
chart. I'm left with the appearance of the secondary axis but at least my
data lines up.  Whether or not this jockeying can cause the chart sheet to
act as it does I do not know.  Thanks for your interest.
--
GeneS

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> How many dates are in column A? Excel 2003 has disappointing chart
> performance with data sets that don't seem all that large. SP2 is reputed to
> have helped with this, but I don't think by a spectacular amount (i.e., not
> close to previous version performance).
>
> I haven't known it to be so bad as to completely crash Excel and not allow
> it to restart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>
> Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> _______
>

> "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using 2007,  I've donwloaded sp2.  The chart I added to was
> > consecutive
> > dates in column A and an equal number of values interspersed with #N/A in
> > col. F.  Since I last wrote I downloade Mehtas algorithm forspecxifying
> > date
> > limits.  It didn't solve the problem but it did allow me create the chart
> > after a long wait each time.  In fact I thought I had it licked when
> > without
> > my unmderstanding, I started to get response.  I was even able to copy the
> > chart, add data, create chart sheets, everything I wanted.  I shut down
> > for
> > the evening and when I tried to load again Excel simply shut down.
> > "Window
> > is looking at the problem.  I'm baffled!!
> > --
> > GeneS
> >

> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> You left out a few important details:
> >>
> >> What version of Excel (include latest SP) are you using?
> >> What is in the graph before you added this data?
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> >> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> >>
> >> Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
> >> http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Gene8063 (28)

excel series charts
Hi, I am trying to create a line chart in excel with two series. Conside the following data: np time1 time2 1 1000 100 2 900 90 3 850 80 4 700 70 5 600 60 6 400 30 7 300 10 8 270 5 The first series is plotted correctly but the second series i completely wrong. I was wondering if someone else has encountered suc a problem with two series charts. Can anyone suggest a solution to thi problem. thanks, sami -- samit70 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- samit700's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/memb...

Excel Charts #19
I am making a chart with weird X-values. Instead of single, whole numbers, I need each value to be as follows: 1-2, 3-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc. Please help me!! My chart keeps going to whole numbers instead and its been driving me crazy for days! How can I fix this problem?!! ...

Saving chart templates
I have created some charts and saved them as templates (crtx). I can apply them to existing chart and, subject to some occasional odd behaviour (plotting agains the ''wrong' axis) it works ok. Not a huge timesaver but you take what you can get. However, if i 'Insert' a new chart using any of three templates I have created - and then attempt to add data to it the workbook is corrupted when I try to save and ALL charts and Range names disappear. I am using the name manager from peltiertech but that has always worked before and even if i avoid using it the pr...

charting performance speed
So am I correct in finding that the charting preformance speed of 2007 is an absolute dog? Trying to chart 16 datasets with 2055 data pointrs each on an x-y chart, with the colours of some of the lines adjusted to keep them in four "matching sets". I have to wait for nearly a minute for a redraw when you flick back a tab. Can't type any headers without taking a break for a coffee. Am I missing something please? Your impressions match my own. Excel 2007 with SP1 installed is slightly better in some situations. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials ...

how to automate min and max on axis based on calculation
While automating some chart making with code, I am trying to automate the span of time reflected on the x-axis. Auto doesn't work because I need the beginning to be based on an October of a given year. Similarly I have requirements for the max. The appropriate min and max are calculated elsewhere, but I am not sure how to code it to accept the value from a cell. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA This has to be done programmatically. For a ready-made solution see AutoChart Manager http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www...

Can you combine data from 2 worksheets into 1 chart?
My son is working on a science project. He had to track the temperature and precipitation levels in Daytona Beach for 9 years. I put the data in 2 worksheets, one for temperature and one for precipitation. He now has to make charts for the data. We've done the 2 separate charts but now we need to make 1 chart showing all the data. Is there a way to take the data from the 2 separate worksheets and put it into 1 chart? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom So...

Is there an easy way to denote significance on charts
The only way I know how to add significance to charts, such as an asterisk above a bar chart, is by adding a text box. Any adjustments to the chart require rearranging the text box. Adding significance to charts is quite common and I can't believe Excel would not have an easier option for this. Another option is to apply shapes to hidden series. For example, if the shape were an asterisk you could then control the position of the asterisk based on your source data. The asterisk could always appear over the bar even if the bar moved when the source data changed. -- John Mansfie...

Overlapping 2 charts (XL2003)
I have a 5 row 3 column sheet in A1:C5. Here are the 15 values (first 3 are column headings): type day amount A,1,10 A,2,11 A,3,12 B,3,7 I'm aiming to have a chart with 1,2,3 on x axis, and 3 blue values: 10 units tall over the 1; 11 over the 2; 12 over the 3. Then I want a red 7 over the x value 3. So I want to see both 12 and 7 above the 3 on the x axis, either overlapping or side by side. I created a chart by highlighting C2:C4 and hitting F11. I can name that series as A. So far so good. Now I want to overlay B data, so under Source Data I add a series named B with values =sheet1!c5...

Finding data for a chart in word
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3325082853_2433946 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit After inserting a chart in a word document I cannot seem to get back to the excel worksheet update data on the chart. Advice please. Thank you. Joe --B_3325082853_2433946 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Finding data for a chart in word<...

Perspective setting won't save in a 3-D column chart
I have a 3-D column chart that has the perspective setting as 20, the elevation as 24 degrees and the rotation as 198 degrees. I change the settings, close the dialog box and click save. Yet the perspective setting resets itself to 15 every time I open the file. I am using Excel 2007. Any suggestions? Thanks. Hi Kathi, I have been able to duplicate your problem, I suggest this is a bug, although there might be some reason for this behavior, I can't think of any. It's probably not worth it but I suppose you could attach a macro to the Open_Workbook event and reset it to...

XY Scatter Chart Not Showing X Axis
I'm trying to create a quadrant analysis. I have the four quadrants as stacked columns and the real data as a XY Scatter. The x axis for the XY Scatter is not showing. The real data series are marked as the secondary axis. Does anyone know how to make the X axis appear? Usually Excel gives you both secondary axes when you add an XY series to a column chart. Go to Chart menu > Options > Axes, and check the box for the secondary X axis. If you're using Excel 2007, it's found on the middle of the three charting tabs, under Axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft ...

We just got upgraded to Micro. 2003 and let me tell you it's not pretty. I previously had a lengthy Word doc with a bunch of charts linked from an Excel worksheet I had. Since the upgrade I had to re-link every chart because the links no longer work, why is this?????? Also after I cut and paste special as a link each chart I can no longer freely move the chart around or even right click to get properties and select the size I want the chart to show. I paste it in the right column of a word doc table so I need to size it to fit into the column and I can no longer do this. This i...

Data Bar / Progress Meter / Bar Chart
Hi, Could anyone suggest a method of having a text field (or similar) have the behaviour of a data bar in excel 2007. I have a field that displays a percentage and would like to present the information to the user in a bar graph / data bar / progress meter style appearance. The value is only ever updated when the form is first loaded, ie. the values will not require updating/refreshing. The data comes from a query. It would be really great if it could change to yellow at 75% and red at 90% as some sort of conditional format as well? Thankyou. You can insert the microsoft progress b...

How could i higlight different intervals in the charts
How could i higlight different intervals in the charts. e.g. I have on the horizental axis time from 0 hrs to 24 hrs. and on the vertical axis body temprature. I have three different subjects data on this chart. I would like to higlight the area where those subjects were sleeping, but I could't get the solution in MS Excel. Does anyone helps me on this issue Hi, You could add another series plotted as column. Plotting the maximum value when shading is required. You will need to set the maximum Y axis value so the columns can reach the top of the plot area. Format the columns via t...

Bar chart with height and width
I want to be able to plot areas in a graph using the information below. For example for row A I want to plot a rectangle with corners (3,1)(3,2)(4,1)(4,2). | x to x | y to y ----+---------------+-------------- a | 3 4 | 1 2 b | 6 7 | 2 4 c | 9 21 | 10 12 Any help would be appreciated. Andy Hi Andy, You would need to use an xy scatter chart. And you will also need to expand your data points. Your new data would be something like this; 3 1 3 2 4 2 4 1 3 1 <Blank> <Blank> 6 2 6 4 7 4 7 2 6 2 <Blank> <Blank> 9 10 9 12 21 12 21 10 9 10 By...

Chart allignment issue in 2007 but in 2003 its working fine
I created a chart in excel 2003, if manually change the Paper size from “Letter” to “A4” in excel 2003 there is no problem, but in excel 2007, 20% of bottom chart area is hiding. ...

Charting help...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C7E508.F10CDE80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Using the below data, can a simple horz. bar graph be made up? If so, = how? I'm trying to teach myself charts, but the blind cannot lead the = blind... Born Died =20 Me 2000 =20 Father 1950 1990 =20 GF 1900 1965 =20 GGF 1850 1935 =20 GGGF 1800 1902 =20 =20 --=20 Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the=20 rest to God. --...

how to persist pivot chart data
I have two worksheets: one sheet to do scratch work, and one to contain the final product. I do the following: 1. Make a filter selection on the scratch sheet and copy the resulting pivot table and pivot chart to the final sheet. 2. Make another filter selection on the scratch seet and copy the resulting pivot table and pivot chart to the final sheet. ( I actually do many iterations of this.) Unfortunately, when I make another filter selection in the pivot table on the scratch sheet and copy the table to the final sheet, the first pivot chart on the final sheet reflects the results...

Any tips for reducing Exce file size with charts
Many of my colleagues insist on embedding charts into their workbooks. This practice results in the excel file size increasing dramatically. Are there any top tips for chart creation that could reduce the size - only use an unfilled background - use line charts only etc ... ?????? -- jmoffat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jmoffat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1151 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=379274 when you say embedding are they creating charts from one ...

Using paste link for full page Excel 2007 chart cuts off in PP
I am using Excel 2007 and I have a chart that has its own tab (full page landscape). When I use the Paste Link functionality in Powerpoint to link to the chart, it is cut off on the left. It works fine if I use Excel 2003, but the problem with that is I want to use 2007 functionality for formatting!!! Help! ...

Format chart axis by inputting data in a cell
I'd like to format the chart axis by linking the Maximum and Minimum scale to 2 cells in another worksheet. This way I can protect the sheet with the chart and the user can still change the axis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I think you will have to write a macro to do that. "Mike" wrote: > I'd like to format the chart axis by linking the Maximum and Minimum scale to > 2 cells in another worksheet. This way I can protect the sheet with the > chart and the user can still change the axis. Any help would be appreciated. > Thanks. ...

3-D Donut Chart printing
Hello, Donut charts created in Excel and exported to Power Point loose resolution (look fuzzy) when printing from Power Point. This occurs with Donut charts using a 3-D design effect or beveled look. I would like to put the chart into a metafile or non-editable format when moving to PowerPoint. Not sure if this is an Excel, PowerPoint or file format being used. Thoughts? Thanks. Should have mentioned this is 2007. "Tmright" wrote: > Hello, > Donut charts created in Excel and exported to Power Point loose resolution > (look fuzzy) when printing from Power Point. ...

Formating Charts 2007
Has anybody had trouble with formating the series on charts, each time i set up a line with markers chart it gives me the series with no conection between points, when i go into the source data and go to the connect series it is blanked out. Even when I reformat the series induvdualy (painfully). Then I saved it as template and when I apply the template the same thing happens to the new chart, also when i move the chart all the formating i did goes back again to the series with no connections between the points. And each of the formating tasks is painfully slow in responding. I am not im...

Secondayr axis denied
I have successfully added a series to a chart, using the secondary axis. When adding another series to the chart, Excel uses the Primary axis as default to load the series. I want to change the Primary axis to Secondary axis, but Excel does not allow that option - both options are grayed out, showing the Excel-selected Primary axis. How do I get this second series on the Secondary axis? Thanks, Phil Sometimes it's not allowed. What kind of chart is it? Is the workbook shared? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions...

Parse Excel Chart
I have an embedded line chart with the 'x' axis 400 data points long. The 'y' axis is reasonable. The data is dynamic. It is impossible to print, as the individual data points mesh. I would like to see the individual data points, but somehow parse the chart into 4 sections to print all 4 sections in landscape mode on a 8.5x11 paper. I tried GIF it is still too long a range to print. Any suggestions? Solution: Use legal sized paper Bye for Now Steve "smandula" <smandula@idirect.com> wrote in message news:vvhmjvvd87r7d@corp.supernews.com... > I have an ...