Scatter chart for real-time tracking of a single cell value ?

Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
constantly during the day.

I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
I'm not sure.

Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
helpful.

Thanks in advance

Joe

You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
the current and recent values of the DDE value?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<eastside877@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
> have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
> constantly during the day.
>
> I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
> second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
> be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
> to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
> problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
> I'm not sure.
>
> Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
> helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Joe

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/1/2007 9:01:33 PM
On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
> > have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
> > constantly during the day.
>
> > I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
> > second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
> > be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
> > to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
> > problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
> > I'm not sure.
>
> > Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
> > helpful.
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
current values of the cell that I need to plot.

Joe

eastside877

I have done what you want,  charting process control data,  several times.

The trick is to have an automatically  updating dynamic data range where
your new data values go. You should capture the date-time as well as the
read. You can either have the DDE append your real time value directly to
the end of your dynamic data range, or have a worksheet based procedure
transfer the new value to the dynamic range whenever the DDE cell is
updated.

Your chart can then be set to plot the last 10, 100, or whatever number of
reads you want from the dynamic range. Your chart will update as soon as the
Dude value is written to your workbook.

Here's a link to example dynamic charts that I have on my site.

http://processtrends.com/TOC_dynamic_charts.htm

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

> On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
>> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
>> > have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
>> > constantly during the day.
>>
>> > I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
>> > second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
>> > be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
>> > to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
>> > problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
>> > I'm not sure.
>>
>> > Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
>> > helpful.
>>
>> > Thanks in advance
>>
>> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> Joe

0
dkod (205)
2/2/2007 1:14:05 AM
I've used event procedures to update a growing table of numbers, placing the
latest values at the bottom. You could grow this indefinitely, or remove a
row from the top every time you add one at the bottom. Setting this up to
run robustly is a trick; the dynamic charts based on the archived data are
pretty easy to handle.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<eastside877@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
>> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
>> > have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
>> > constantly during the day.
>>
>> > I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
>> > second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
>> > be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
>> > to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
>> > problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
>> > I'm not sure.
>>
>> > Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
>> > helpful.
>>
>> > Thanks in advance
>>
>> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> Joe

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/2/2007 1:57:44 AM
On Feb 1, 5:14 pm, "Kelly O'Day" <d...@comcast.net> wrote:
> eastside877
>
> I have done what you want,  charting process control data,  several times.
>
> The trick is to have an automatically  updating dynamic data range where
> your new data values go. You should capture the date-time as well as the
> read. You can either have the DDE append your real time value directly to
> the end of your dynamic data range, or have a worksheet based procedure
> transfer the new value to the dynamic range whenever the DDE cell is
> updated.
>
> Your chart can then be set to plot the last 10, 100, or whatever number of
> reads you want from the dynamic range. Your chart will update as soon as the
> Dude value is written to your workbook.
>
> Here's a link to example dynamic charts that I have on my site.
>
> http://processtrends.com/TOC_dynamic_charts.htm
>
> Kelly
>
> http://processtrends.com
>
> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> > wrote:
> >> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
> >> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
>
> >> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> > need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> > over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> > current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Great! I am going to check your web site and experiment. Thanks for
the help, it's much appreciated.

Joe

On Feb 1, 5:57 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> I've used event procedures to update a growing table of numbers, placing the
> latest values at the bottom. You could grow this indefinitely, or remove a
> row from the top every time you add one at the bottom. Setting this up to
> run robustly is a trick; the dynamic charts based on the archived data are
> pretty easy to handle.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> > wrote:
> >> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
> >> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
>
> >> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> > need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> > over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> > current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot for the help. Much appreciated. I looked up (and
marked :-) your web site. Lots of good stuff there.

It looks like between your and Kelly's advice I should be able to
figure out something now.

Thanks again,

Joe

Prevent clicking on a cell

Tracking shared records
I need to create a report that shows which records are shared and with whom. Can someone guide me in the right direction? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. thank you Sharing is recorded in the PrincipalObjectAccess table in the SQL database. Advanced find does not allow you to access this so you will have to create a report on the directly on the database. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCPD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Extended Entity and Plug-in browser: http://www.patrickverbeeten.com/maps/CrmTool.aspx "Bernardina" wrote: > I need to create a report that shows whi...

if cell is text move left one column

Time Series
I have about 30000 lines of data that looks like so: Time Count 93000 447 93001 1020 93002 1438 93003 2177 93004 3042 93005 3467 93006 2913 93007 3341 93008 3547 93009 2908 93010 3512 93011 4090 Where ColA is time. I am having trouble creating a graph with time on the x-axis and count on the y-axis. Thank you in advance. You need to make an XY chart But with 30,000 data points you could run into trouble; Help says you can 32,000 data points in a single data series. However, if you want markers it will look like heck. You could limit the data like this: assume y-values in B2:B30001 in ...

rounding up values
Has anyone done round up of values to the nearest dollar.For example I want to give a 10% of the price to my customers but if the result is other than .00 then I wanted to round up to the nearest dollar amount.My calculation using sql has been price * percent and then subtract the value from the price, then what do I need to do to roundit up??Thanks for your suggestion.Also I have a problem with my customers that I am extracting and the query does return all the values from 2004 and 2006 that are equal except for the price I have given them, how do I get only the latest ones in 2006 and not th...

Queries and Charts

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Updating a chart Automatically

line chart with NA() values

Automatic changes in cells

XY Scatter Map with Test Labels
Sorry if this is a repeated request, but I'm trying to show the distribution of 16 points (labelled A through P) using X-Y coordinates. When I turn on labels, I can show either the X-positions (label) or Y-positions (value), but I really want to show the text name "A" through "P". Can this be automated in Excel? Thanks for any advice. Hi Mike, The easiest thing to do is use a free addin utility to allow you to link data labels to cells. Try Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add-in http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy Mike K. wrote...

Run time error 5 : HQClient

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...