Running Total Chart question

I can create a chart that shows a running total of scores if I put
them in a column, but would link to do this with the scores across a
row.
However, if I do this and pick a Line graph, I get a line that just
shows peaks and troughs rather than a steady running total.

Example data

Player A  5  6  2  1  0  2  4  5 (The last cell is then the Total
score over the season - a SUM of the values, but not needed on the
chart)

So rather than the Graph's Y Axis showing a range of 0 to 8, it should
show 0 to whatever the Total is, and the X axis will be number of
matches.
The line I want is one that maps point 1 as 5, point 2 as 11, 3 as 13,
4 as 14, 5 also as 14, 6 is then 16 and so on.

Can it be done. I'm sure it can and I just can't see it!
Thanks
Neil
0
neil40 (21)

In another row, calculate the running totals, and create the chart from
that data.

For example, if Player A data starts in B2, enter the following formula
in B8:  =SUM($B2:B2)
and copy the formula across to I8.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/13/2003 1:57:36 PM
Yes! I could, but not really what I want, unless I hide those rows.
I want a series of rows showing competitors scores over a season, and
a chart to show points progress.

Any other ideas anyone?
Thanks
Neil

Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<3F8AAF50.7050907@contexturesXSPAM.com>...
> In another row, calculate the running totals, and create the chart from
> that data.
>
> For example, if Player A data starts in B2, enter the following formula
> in B8:  =SUM($B2:B2)
> and copy the formula across to I8.
>

> Neil Grantham wrote:
> > I can create a chart that shows a running total of scores if I put
> > them in a column, but would link to do this with the scores across a
> > row.
> > However, if I do this and pick a Line graph, I get a line that just
> > shows peaks and troughs rather than a steady running total.
> >
> > Example data
> >
> > Player A  5  6  2  1  0  2  4  5 (The last cell is then the Total
> > score over the season - a SUM of the values, but not needed on the
> > chart)
> >

> > So rather than the Graph's Y Axis showing a range of 0 to 8, it should
> > show 0 to whatever the Total is, and the X axis will be number of
> > matches.
> > The line I want is one that maps point 1 as 5, point 2 as 11, 3 as 13,
> > 4 as 14, 5 also as 14, 6 is then 16 and so on.
> >
> > Can it be done. I'm sure it can and I just can't see it!
> > Thanks
> > Neil
0
neil40 (21)
10/14/2003 9:45:05 PM
So, what's the problem with hiding rows?  Given that XL has 65536 rows
and, it's not like there will be a shortage of them, is there?  In
addition, you could always put the cumulative data on a separate
worksheet.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <c66a9b10.0310141345.4acc96a4@posting.google.com>, neil40
@btinternet.com says...
> Yes! I could, but not really what I want, unless I hide those rows.
> I want a series of rows showing competitors scores over a season, and
> a chart to show points progress.
>
> Any other ideas anyone?
> Thanks
> Neil
>
> Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<3F8AAF50.7050907@contexturesXSPAM.com>...
> > In another row, calculate the running totals, and create the chart from
> > that data.
> >
> > For example, if Player A data starts in B2, enter the following formula
> > in B8:  =SUM($B2:B2)
> > and copy the formula across to I8.
> >

> > Neil Grantham wrote:
> > > I can create a chart that shows a running total of scores if I put
> > > them in a column, but would link to do this with the scores across a
> > > row.
> > > However, if I do this and pick a Line graph, I get a line that just
> > > shows peaks and troughs rather than a steady running total.
> > >
> > > Example data
> > >
> > > Player A  5  6  2  1  0  2  4  5 (The last cell is then the Total
> > > score over the season - a SUM of the values, but not needed on the
> > > chart)
> > >

> > > So rather than the Graph's Y Axis showing a range of 0 to 8, it should
> > > show 0 to whatever the Total is, and the X axis will be number of
> > > matches.
> > > The line I want is one that maps point 1 as 5, point 2 as 11, 3 as 13,
> > > 4 as 14, 5 also as 14, 6 is then 16 and so on.
> > >
> > > Can it be done. I'm sure it can and I just can't see it!
> > > Thanks
> > > Neil

And you can set the chart to move but not resize with the cells:
deselect the chart, then select it with the Shift key depressed.  Now
double click on it and check the appropriate option on the Properties tab.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Tushar Mehta wrote:
> So, what's the problem with hiding rows?  Given that XL has 65536 rows
> and, it's not like there will be a shortage of them, is there?  In
> addition, you could always put the cumulative data on a separate
> worksheet.

In this type of calculation is there any need to distinguish between
the case when the player plays and scores zero points and
the case when the player scores zero points because they didn't play?

Nev.

"Neil Grantham"  wrote ...
> Yes! I could, but not really what I want, unless I hide those rows.
> I want a series of rows showing competitors scores over a season, and
> a chart to show points progress.

0
nenvy (13)

Chart two variables with differing values
I'd like to chart data similar to: Year 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Thefts 75 120 95 101 80 Veh. Mfg. 100,200 125000 130000 145000 125000 I want to produce a chart with the year on the abcissa and with the Thefts scale on left ordinate and Veh. Mfg on the right ordinate and have the scales set accordingly. I'm running Excel 2002. Seems i can't select the Format/Selected Series data Series/Secondary Axis to set the scales correctly. I'd like to get som...

In Excel how do I label the axis of a chart with 2 sets of labels
I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a quantity function against the same axis (usually x). I run Excel 2003 If you plot two series You can select one of them and change the axis to secondary. In chart options you can then modify the Y axies as needed. "Alan" wrote: > I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a > quantity function against the same axis (usually x). > I run Excel 2003 If it's a category axis, put the two sets of labels into adjacent columns (or rows), select the chart and choose Source D...

Inline Jpgs and more questions
A few questions: 1. How do you view jpg attachments inline? Similar to Outlook Express. 2. After upgrading to Outlook 2002 from 2000, you cannot even select all, then hit enter to view all in an external viewer. Why does it seem we went backwards? 3. Even the Progress Bar for sending and receiving email is more accurate in Outlook Express. In outlook, it appears it just takes the number of enclosures and divides by that number (immaterial of their size), where OE truly shows progress on the bytes. Very helpfull when using dialup. Why does it seem the free email package is bette...

How do I copy an Excel chart with added text boxes into Word or P.
I have created a chart in Excel and added a number of text boxes on top of the chart. I need to paste the entire chart & text boxes into Word and/or Powerpoint; however by selecting the chart and copying, the text boxes are excluded. MS help suggests entering the text boxes outside the chart then moving them into the chart and grouping the chart and text boxes; however there does not seem to be the ability to group the chart with the text boxes. If you had clicked on the chart before making the textboxes, all the items would have been grouped. But you can do it later: Hold down SHI...

Brainstorming question
I have an XP box that is set up in an office as an incoming fax, it does not have Norton installed and it is not a server, XP Pro only. The incoming fax folder is shared. We also have a server 08 and each user has a login script that launches the shared fax folder. The users complain that occasionally the shared Fax folder stops responding when they access it from their desk - this is corrected by disconnecting and rebooting their machine. Any ideas on how to fix this non responsive issue or can I run a task that will copy and move the faxes as they come in to the serve...

scanpst.exe questions
Hi, After much hunting, I found scanpst.exe, which I'm told will help me overcome mailbox correuption problem. When I run it, I'm told that .pst that I'm trying to fix does not exisit specifically - despite the fact that when I look at it's details, this 'non-existant" file has 34, 444 bytes in it. Has anyone seen this type of helpful behavior beore and do you have any suggestions about how to out wit it? It all depends on how corrupt the mailbox is, but I've seen situations where putting a null character in the first byte of the file allowed scanpst t...

charting a single changing DDE cell
I have a spreadsheet that captures real time stock data via a DDE link. The cell captures the last price of a stock as it changes over time. Can you chart that changing cell as the day progresses. Maybe capture the data and then chart it or a macro which plots that cell every minute? Bob You would need to capture the value of that changing cell periodically in a growing table, possibly in a different sheet. For example, every time you update it via the DDE, you could run a code that copies the value of the cell to the last row of the table. Use a dynamic chart to plot the values in t...

Question about right click in a CTreeControl!
Hello! Having problems about right clicking on an item in a tree control. The item that is clicked on is not the right one. If I have three items in a tree. Here is my problem. I click on the first item with normal click. I click on the third item with the right click mouse. In this event I had a messagebox telling me which item is selected, and this one comes out with the first item no mather what. I also tried to get into the OnSelchangedItemfieldtree function - but with no luck. How can I right click on the third one and get its name out of it? Does anyone know? -- - Lars I guess u...

schedule a task to run a report
I need to use the Windows task scheduler to run a report, I can see how to do this if the access file is closed. What if the file is currently open ? regards Trevor -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-gettingstarted/200911/1 Hi Trevor, use a different database for the scheduler task ... link to all your tables, put your report in there and anything else it needs create an AutoExec macro that opens the report (which will automatically print unless you specify otherwise) and then exits Access Warm Regards, ...

Outlook question to challange all you MVP's out there.
I am slowly migrating my users from a single Exchange 2000 box, to a cluster Exchange 2003 server. I have 155 gas stations all over the east coast that have pc's in them with email. My problem is that all the stores are not on my corporate domain. What happens when I launch outlook is it prompts me for the username, password, and domain. Once I enter it in, it logs in fine, and there are no issues. The odd part about this is that on my "old" Exchange 2000 box, it doesn't prompt the user. It just logs them in since their username and password in the store are the same as...

when re-running installer to install omitted program (Entourage) does complete re-install, then fails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi Everyone. I installed Word and PowerPoint a few weeks ago, and I want to now install Entourage. So I re-ran the installer ("/Volumes/Microsoft Office 2008/Office Installer.mpkg"). It didn't give me any options for selecting Entourage. Instead it just kicked off an installed *everything*, including Word and PowerPoint. Crap. This is very upsetting as I DON'T want messenger, excel, etc. Adding insult to injury, the program asked if I wanted to install the update ("Install Microsoft Office 2008 fo...

Chart Bars
How to create intersectionso if the hight of bar crosses that line the color of the bar should from that point. From Level 0 - 2:- RED Color From Level 2 - 4:- Green color From Level 4 - 6:- Blue color Hi, You will need to use 3 series to build the stack. Simplest way is to use a cluster chart, setting the overlap value to 100, with data base on formula. If you have the following data in A2:B9 A2: =<leave empty> B2: =SeriesName A3: =A B3: =0 A4: =B B4: =1 A5: =C B5: =2 A6: =D B6: =3 A7: =E B7 =4 A8: =F B8: =5 A9: =G B9: =6 You can then create the following ...

combination chart #8
How can I get a combo chart with 3 series - one as a vertical bar/column, and 2 series as lines, with 2 y axes? I only seem to be able to get one series in line format, while the first two insist on viewing as vertical bars, regardless of whether they are assigned to the primary or secondary y axis. Right click each series and set the chart type property of the series seperately. alas wrote: > How can I get a combo chart with 3 series - one as a vertical > bar/column, and 2 series as lines, with 2 y axes? > I only seem to be able to get one series in line format, while the > fir...

Two charttype on chart
Hi, I have export the data to excel from Vb, then add the graph in excel and set my secondary axis as.. ..SeriesCollection(4).AxisGroup = xlSecondary then how we set this group only as chatrtype as xlLine and the primary axis values by Column charttype -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Hi, Try this, ..SeriesCollection(4).AxisGroup = xlSecondary ..SeriesCollection(4).ChartType = xlLine Cheers Andy shah firdaous via OfficeKB.com wrote: > Hi, I have export the data to excel from Vb, then add the graph in excel > and set my secondary axis as.. > .SeriesCollection(4).Axi...

Sorting in Pivot Charts
I'm using Access 2003 & am trying to sort in a Pivot Chart. I have a single series & I'm trying to sort by the qty of that series. Thanks much in advance, M.C. ...

Link chart format to a cell
I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special cell. For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) and for another value red bars? Please anyone? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, vito <vito@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special >For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) >and for another value red bars? You can't, it's not possible in Excel. But you can have two series, one which...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Setting Major tick to none on charts is not working, is it a bug?
I've tried to set the major tick for my x-axis to none, so that the marks only show up above my data points along the x-axis... it is not working I notice a small change from None to Cross, but it basically looks the same as cross, just a little bit shorter on both ends(inside and outside). Anyone know if this is being fixed, if it's a bug... or if I'm doing it incorrectly? I can change it with both XY Scatter charts and Line charts. What type of chart are you trying to change? "Mike J" <Mike J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EFDB3C7-1CBD-4...

Unusual formatting question
Hi bit of an odd question here.. I have a list of URL's that are currently in an Excel file. The URL' are listed in one column with one on each row, so for example: link1.ac.uk link2.ac.uk link3.ac.uk link4.ac.uk link5.ac.uk What I need to do is merge all of these links into one long line an add a plus sign between them. In the above example this would mean: link1.ac.uk+link2.ac.uk+link3.ac.uk+link4.ac.uk+link5.ac.uk Is there a way of getting Excel (or any other programme) to take th original list and reformat it as above? I have several clusters of links that need to be refo...

May I post here questions about SQL queries against Excel via ODBC?
and if not, can you recommend of a relevant forum? For example, I'm desperately looking for an answer to the question: How can I retrieve the row number of a record in a query? Somethin like: select x.*,rownum() from sheet1$ as x Thanks in advance, Noam ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com try posting in the Security Forum, under SQL Server Security, that's where most people go when they have questions about SQL. ...

Updating a chart, within a workspace
I keep a daily log of a particular price, plus its moving average. I use an Excel spreadsheet for this. Under a separate tab, I have set up a Chart, that visually tracks both the daily log of price, and the moving average. I need a simple method for updating the chart. So far, the only method I can find that works is to "Clear" [delete] each plot on the chart, and then use "Copy, Paste" to achieve an updated Chart plot of the two parameters. This is laborious, since I have to re-do my color and line preferences each time. There must surely be a more elegant m...

Display data points that are less than the chart trendline
I have a standard chart with an x and y axis and a linear trend line. Is it possible to have the chart to only display the values that are less than the trend line? Thank you in advance for your help. Hi, Sure you can. Firstly, either hide your existing data points, or make them a very pale grey colour. Then, assume your x values are in A1:A10, and your y values are in B1:B10. In say A12, calculate the slope of the trendline with =SLOPE(B1:B10,A1:A10) and in say A13 calculate the intercept using =INTERCEPT(B1:B10,A1:A10) In column C, calculate the corresponding y value for each x value fr...

database question #2
Creating a database in excel for mailing labels. Fieldnames: Title (Mr. & Mrs.), Fname (John), Lname (Jones), Add, City, etc. Is there a way to handle married people who want to be addressed as: Ms. Sally Smith and Mr. John Doe Is there an alternative field to be set up? Can't figure it out unless it's just a code field and then a manual change. Thanks if there is an easy solution. A field is just a space to contain data, so you can put what you like i it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Problem formatting date values in chart...
I have a blood pressure tracking spreadsheet -- at a minimum, it tracks Systolic and Diastolic pressure for a given day. A B C E.g.: Date Systolic Diastolic 1 9/3/04 120 90 2 9/4/04 123 87 3 9/5/04 129 79 I currently have a simple line graph that shows systolic data points over diastolic data points. The left hand (Y axis) value is "Pressure". My problem is that I want the "date" values of Col. A to display at the bottom of the graph as a label with each corresponding data point and...

How do I Add a variable in the legend without charting the data?
I have three variables that need to appear in my legend but only two of them should appear in the chart. How do I show the third variable in the legend without it being plotted in the chart? Hi, You can add a third series to the chart so that the legend item appears but set the data to be plotted to be zero or #N/A such that the column or line is not displayed. Cheers Andy Legends vs Plotting wrote: > I have three variables that need to appear in my legend but only two of them > should appear in the chart. How do I show the third variable in the legend > without it being p...