Rotating a line chart?

Is it possible to rotate a line chart so it looks like a vertical chart
rather than a horizontal chart?  And if so, once it is rotated, can one
still  interact with the chart and it's data?

Thank you.

Visit Excel Tips and Cases
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html

and scroll down to 'Invert and rotate charts'
The direct link
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/0201-chart%20invert%20and%
20rotate.pdf
is almost certain to change in the near future.

The above applies to a XY Scatter chart.  Hopefully, you can use that
instead of a line chart.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <1156885047.077644.139490@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
janine.roe@gmail.com says...
> Is it possible to rotate a line chart so it looks like a vertical chart
> rather than a horizontal chart?  And if so, once it is rotated, can one
> still  interact with the chart and it's data?
>
> Thank you.

You can make it as an XY chart. You might have to fake the vertical axis so
it has the category labels on it:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Roe" <janine.roe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to rotate a line chart so it looks like a vertical chart
> rather than a horizontal chart?  And if so, once it is rotated, can one
> still  interact with the chart and it's data?
>
> Thank you.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How to add annotation/callout/note to chart?
In Excel 2003, is there any way to add an annotation/callout/note to a chart -- for example, if I want to add a description to a data point or other item? Thanks, Don Culp __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5073 (20100429) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com Open the Drawing tool (View | Toolbars) Use one of the shapes (callouts are great) to put a shape with text on the chart Caveat: you should begin by clicking on the chart to activate it then select the shape; in...

How do I delete an unwanted vertical line in Publisher?
I'm doing a brochure and there is a vertical line down the middle of one page. It is not a boundary and it doesn't separate two columns of type. I can't seem to make it go away. Help! Is it a line? Can you click on it so that it has circles at each end? If do, so that and press the Del kay. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:33:03 -0700, Greenesearch <Greenesearch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm doing a brochure and there is a vertical line down the middle of one >page. It is not a boundary and it doesn't separate two columns of type. I >can't seem...

Different colors on a single line chart
Hi there I have a single line chart, with dates on the X axis. After a certain date, I would like the line to be a different color. Is this possible? Without having to edit the color of each datapoint? And when I add new data, it should appear in that same second color. Thanks! Hi, To do this without code you can use 2 data series to give the appearance of a single line. In this previous example I posted the future data was a dotted line but you can just change the formatting to another colour. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng45.htm Cheers Andy Sarah wrote: > Hi there > I have a ...

Multiple pie charts and merging them into word.
I have a worksheet that has 286 rows and I need a pie chart for each row and then I need to have the pie charts merge for each person in Word. Is this possible? I cannot link the pie charts to a cell so it will pull it into Word. I don't really don't want 287 Worksheets with embedded pie charts. Please Help! Thanks! ...

Auto adjust dates in a chart
I would like to build a line chart that automatically plots values for the past 14 days, no matter when I open the chart. I have set up a column with now() in the first cell and now()-1, now()-2, etc. in a series for the following 13 cells down to now()-14. This column becomes the data range for the x-axis. If I test it by changing the system date, the now() values do not change automatically. I know there must be a way to do that. But the further concern is how to link values in another column with the proper now()-x value to display what I want to see. I want to use this chart to...

Adding Source Data to a Chart.
I want to add data from 2 different sheets within the same work book added together. ie say data from Sheet1 B1 + Sheet 3 B1 as source data for the same bar on the chart. Can this be done direct or do I have to add them together first then use that as the source data. I have tried typically the following: Sheet1!$B$1+Sheet3!$b$1 and several variations of this without success. One way to do it is to have 2 series, one for each sheet, and make a Stacked bar chart. The only problem is that you don't get to see the total when adding labels to the series. Regards Esteban "Dizz...

20 rows but need to display only 2 at a time in a chart.
Hi friends, I have a chart with 20 rows and columns. I need to compare 2 rows at a time in a simple line chart to see thier progress, for example row 1 with row 5 , then 4 with 10 and then 1 with 16 etc. what would be the easiest way to achive this, for now I have to do it by selecting the rows each time by edit data. Can I have 2 dropdown menus above the chart with the column names so that the chart would display the values I chose. Thanks for your help. Roshlin Hi, It's easy to achieve this if you have a couple of combo boxes, each referencing your list of series names/headi...

Multiple lines tool tip [2]
Please read my question in the previous "Multiple lines tool tip" message. Thanks ...

how to create line Chart with large number of data points
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Excel allows only some 200 data points. I would need 1025! Is there a way to achieve that or do I have to look for some other special charting software Thanks! You are right. I found the solution. ...

Selected lines in MSFlexGrid
Hello! They are any form in MSFlexGrid Control to select several lines not continously? Thanks ...

Form Field Help line does not show
Hello, I have a medium-size template with a lot (several dozens) of form fields. Some have logical connection, so I'm using ActiveDocument.FormFields("SomeField").Select method to force jump to a specific field on the form. Sometimes this is done from the "exit" macro that does validations, and sometimes to skip some irrelevant fields. I've encountered two issues: 1. The help text in the status line will not show for the proper field in ..Select 2. I can't jump back to the same field. The workaround I found is: .Select a read-only previous fi...

New Line in the default value of a text box in form
I need to input a default value for a text box in a form but is there any way that I can put the default value so that certain things appear on seperate lines within the text box - as follows... Lives with Daily visits x At current I get all on one line in the text box: Lives with Daily Visits x How would I alter the default value from "Lives with Daily Visits x" to get it to appear as above? Sarah Davis. Include a carriage return and line feed in the Default Value property, e.g.: "Lives with " & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Daily Visit...

Bar Text on Gantt Chart
Is there a way to remove all text formatting from the bars at once or does one have to format each bar individually Hi Judy, You can change multiple bars at once through Format > Bar Styles. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information about Microsoft Project On 4/14/2010 2:08 PM, Judy C wrote: > Is there a way to remove all text formatting from the bars at once or does > one have to format each bar individually Hi, Text formattig on the bars is achieved through F...

log axes, chart titles, Rob Bovey, loadsaprobs
In the past few days I have been building a workbook (6Mb and growing) that contains a sheet displaying about 20 charts. I have incorporated the little trick which references the chart title to a cell reference (very handy). Also downloaded the Add-in from Rob Bovey to change data labels (as suggested by tusha mehta`s tutorial on how to customise Excel chart log axes). I ended up not needing it. When worked on, the workbook is running very slow (Excel is using 98-99% of my processing) and appears to think a lot before allowing access to any chart I want to edit. Can this be the ...

Pie Charts #4
In my pie chart, items are grouping together as other even though there is no "other" in my budget -- why? It is actually a cool idea -- how to I add other items to this "other" (e.g. very small percentages of the pie). "IDA" <IDA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D4861F6-7AF7-4105-8994-3DDC77BC794F@microsoft.com... > In my pie chart, items are grouping together as other even though there is no > "other" in my budget -- why? It is actually a cool idea -- how to I add > other items to this "other" (e.g. very s...

Including table into the chart!
Hello all! A quick question. Let us say a table with certain number of rows and columns was create and used to plot a chart. Is there a way we can include the above table into the chart? I would appreciate ur help guys. Arun... Vtec corp -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Make sure you have room for the table in the chart area, select the table, hold down shift and click edit>copy picture select picture format and paste it into the chart area. -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "aiyer >" <<ai...

scatter chart
I am trying to chart a series of length measurements on the X-axis plotted against a series of depths on the Y- Axis. However, the depths are named in 5cm increments; for example: 0-5, 5-10, 10-15., which excluded XY scatter without modifying the desired labels. Furthermore I have varying quantities of data for each depth range, which excluded charting with the line charts as it is important to maintain equal spacing between each of the axis labels. Currently, I have inserted a row of abitrary numbers, representing the 5cm increments (for the Y-Axis) and have successfully plotted...

Retrieving Data From a Chart
I would like to build a formula that allows me to go back 50 records in the database to locate and list how many records since the last time the farthest back of the 3 evaluated cells last occurred. example: ,,,,,,,,,,,,C42 9,,,,6,,,,2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,C48 0,,,,7,,,3 A49 7,,,,4,,,,1 A51 B51 C51 (The evaluated cells) 3,,,,7,,,,2 Therefore, the result would list 9, because from the cell values 3,7,2, #2 was the furtherest back in the last 50 records. It last occurred 9 records ago. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and po...

x log, y lin audio frequency chart
I'm having some trouble with limitaions in the axis display. Is there a way to set the base number of the log graph to start at 2, or 20, and stop at 20,000 or 40,000? It always defaults to decades of one or ten. The second issue is when I set the series by using the wizard, the data is off(lower) by an order of magnitude for some reason that is not very obvious to me. Finally, what is the difference between a range and a series? I have too many points to use the range input. Thanks and sorry about the many questions. JIM Jim I don't think it's gonna happen. When you use...

Gridlines not lined up when printed
I am printing to a network printer. When I preview my document, everything looks great. When I print, the gridlines are not lined up. The farther down the page I go, the worse the lines are. Any ideas? ...

Bell curve lines
How can I get the error line to form the 2 and 3 standardiviation points. Also, how can I plot the 300 points Hi, Maybe these will help, http://www.exceluser.com/explore/statsnormal.htm http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CFDB029-F2BD-4ECB-A1FA-8BC9B5E34DEA@microsoft.com... > How can I get the error line to form the 2 and 3 standardiviation points. > Also, how can I plot the 300 points > ...

Bar chart with Y Axes Categories
I have very little experience with charts, so I really appreciate your help. I have a column of employees' "Years until retirement" (approx 139 employees). I'd like a chart that shows a bar for 0-5 years, 6-9 years, 10-14 years, 15-19 years, 20-24 years, 25-29 years and 30+. How do I categorize to get this chart? THANK YOU. MB I think you want the categories on the X axis. In the first column of the sheet, put your year ranges, and in the second column, put the number of employees within each range. Make a chart from this data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micros...

removing new data in charts
I have added new data into a chart by using a MACRO. perhaps it is not possible to undo this using edit-undo. Is there any method to celar only the added portion in the chart If I click the chart and click<clear> the whole chart is removed. thanks and regards If you've added a new series, select the series, and press the Delete key. If the series has been extended by adding points, select the series, and the range with the series data is highlighted in the underlying sheet: drag the little square corners on the colored rectangular outlines to resize the data ranges. - Jon -...

3D Funnel Chart
Good afternoon everybody, is there a web site and or someone that could help me in setting up,step by step a 3D Funnel Chart? Thank for the help Giovanni 3D Funnel charts are among the worst graph types you could use. They're based on a flawed metaphor, and this faulty metaphor makes the graph very difficult to interpret properly. I describe the problem and offer alternatives here: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/06/29/bad-graphics-funnel-chart/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech...

how can I use a number series with gaps in as a chart axis
I have a spreadsheet with samples normally taken on a weekly basis. Rather than plot the data against the week I want to plot it against a running hours figure that is also entered onto the sheet. However if no samples have been taken this leaves a blank and a gap in my line chart for trending and doesn't seem to allow the running hours to be used as numbers but just sees them as a piece of text or category. I want to see the dat against running hours at the correct spacing of hours. I'm sure that made sense to me as I wrote it!! any help will be appreciated Make an XY chart. ...