Road map with Chart Conditional Formating

Hi!

I've tried to work through the several charts formatting techniques bu
still haven�t found the answer to what seems to be a simple concept.

I work at a motorway concessionaire. Our traffic comparisons are mad
in relation to a reference traffic scenario, being divided in su
stretches with different length.

1 THE SIMPLE WAY (NOT FOR ME, BUT FOR ANYONE I HOPE
The length should be in the x axis of this chart. Only one bar would b
necessary, being that a sum of the several bars (stacked bar chart?
with it�s length proportional to the sub stretches length.

Each bar should have a different colour, according to the deviatio
from the reference traffic scenario. I attached a chart in an xl fil
with the final, required result� I only don�t know how I get ther
automatically!

2 THE NOT SO SIMPLE WAY (NOT FOR ME, BUT FOR ANYONE SPECIAL I HOPE
I would �draw� a map of the motorway in an excel chart, for which
would have to produce x and y values so it would get close to reality
This chart would be a simple line chart, but each part of the lin
would be a sub stretch and it�s colour should change with the deviatio
towards the reference values� Any help?

Don�t find me conservative towards vb, but I would really like to stic
to an excel �traditional� answer�

So thanks for any help at all.

Pedr

--
maxtr
maxtre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2590

Hi Pedro,

Let's do it the hard way! :^)

Look at 'Vary Colour and Weight' in
http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx

This follows your method 2. Line segments are coloured according to values
in the worksheet. Also, the chart series lines are replaced by line objects
so that we can make them thicker than Excel would normally allow.

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net/

> Hi!
>
> I've tried to work through the several charts formatting techniques but
> still haven�t found the answer to what seems to be a simple concept.
>
> I work at a motorway concessionaire. Our traffic comparisons are made
> in relation to a reference traffic scenario, being divided in sub
> stretches with different length.
>
> 1 THE SIMPLE WAY (NOT FOR ME, BUT FOR ANYONE I HOPE)
> The length should be in the x axis of this chart. Only one bar would be
> necessary, being that a sum of the several bars (stacked bar chart?)
> with it�s length proportional to the sub stretches length.
>
> Each bar should have a different colour, according to the deviation
> from the reference traffic scenario. I attached a chart in an xl file
> with the final, required result� I only don�t know how I get there
> automatically!
>
> 2 THE NOT SO SIMPLE WAY (NOT FOR ME, BUT FOR ANYONE SPECIAL I HOPE)
> I would �draw� a map of the motorway in an excel chart, for which I
> would have to produce x and y values so it would get close to reality.
> This chart would be a simple line chart, but each part of the line
> would be a sub stretch and it�s colour should change with the deviation
> towards the reference values� Any help?
>

> Don�t find me conservative towards vb, but I would really like to stick
> to an excel �traditional� answer�
>
> So thanks for any help at all.
>
> Pedro
>

> --
> maxtre
> maxtre's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25907
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=392856

0
mail953 (171)
8/5/2005 7:15:35 AM
So thanks, Ed! The hard way is perfect!

--
maxtre
maxtre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25907
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=392856

2 scale in a single chart
I have 2 scale one in thousand dollars and the other one in million dollars. Is it possible to place the thousand scale in the left column and the million scale on the right? However due to the huge differences. eg. the chart will plot from 3 thousand to 10 milion, you will see a big gap there. Which make the chart looks ugly. If only I can change the million units inbetween the thousand units. Can I change the different units in the right and left side of the scale? It is not clear what you want and where you are stuck. Do you want to know how to create 2 series one shown on the prim...

Changing the order of a chart legend
I have a stacked column chart and would like to reverse the order of the items in th legend table (my aim is to place the legend on the right hand side of the chart so that the key lines up along side the appropriate point in the stack). ...

odd condition
howdie all. Now, I'll forewarn you-- this is an odd situation that I'd never seen before, and I've been using Excel for a long time now. So, please bear with me, and if you need to read this through a couple of times, or more to get it, I'm trying to be clear enough, and concise enough to keep you from getting too confused. a colleague of mine opened a workbook that had some worksheet functions in it, as well as some named fields. As she explained to me what was happening, it struck me as odd-- not something I'd seen happen before. There were numerous named fields...

How to email a shared calendar as iCal or other format
A user need the ability to email her bosses calendar to other interested parties. She can do this for her own calendar but on her bosses shared calendar the email option is greyed out. The boss only wants the secretary to have calendar only access. Currently has Editor rights and is using Outlook 2003 with MSES 2003 on Windows 2003. ...

Trendline in chart
I was trying to form a trend line in a chart with following input data in Excel 2000: Y X 1.128 -20 1.128 -15 1.128 -10 1.128 -6 1.111 -5 1.084 0 1.056 5 1.0276 10 1 15 0.971 20 0.944 25 0.9144 30 0.884 35 0.8524 40 0.82 45 0.788 50 After plotting the chart, I added trend line (Polynomial with order 6, set intercept = 0) along with its equation, which read as below: y = 6E-07x6 - 3E-05x5 + 0.0006x4 - 0.0057x3 + 0.0215x2 - 0.0318x + 1.1429 and R2 = 0.9998 ------ (Eq. 1) Though the trend line in the chart neatly fitted over the curve, however, when I used above equation and fed in same val...

switch x and y axis in chart
In excel 2003, is it possible to display my chart so the x, or category, data goes up vertically and the y, variable data, goes horizontal. In other words, I want to display the x axis and y axis in each other's place, switched with eachother. If it's a column chart, you could use a bar chart instead. For a line chart, Jon Peltier has instructions here: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html goudenwillem wrote: > In excel 2003, is it possible to display my chart so the x, or category, data > goes up vertically and the y, variable data, goes horizon...

Chart x-axis and name problem
I have a quite complex workbook in Excel 2007 with several charts, including a xy scatter chart with 3 series. The number of points plotted has been gradually increasing, and when it exceeded 185 on each series, the x-axis (which is set to Auto for the minimum) suddenly switched to displaying 0 as the minimum point, thus pushing the plotted area to the right of the chart. I verified that if I exclude either the first or last point on the series, the display is OK. At the same time, all charts sheets lost their names, and became chart1, chart2, chart3. Renaming them appeared to work, bu...

Changing the File Naming Format
I currently drag emails from Outlook to various job folders on a larg network. The default filename for an Outlook message is the email' subject line. Often times many messages will have the same subjec line. Can I change the way Outlook names files? I waste a lot of tim changing file names when archriving emials. It would be great to ge Outlook to save the messages/files as the email's RECIPIENT/SENDER NAM and DATE. Is there a place to specify how outlook names its emai files? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~Vie...

automate 2500 cut/paste/format from internet to EXCEL worksheet
I'm trying to automate repetitive steps. I have 2500 account numbers i column "x" of an EXCEL 97 SR-1 worksheet running on Win 98 with 320 M 60% free. I'm trying to retreive the 2002, 2003 & 2004 assessed value for each account and place them in the appropriate worksheet cells (o the same line as the account number). So far, I've completed 13 accounts, but doing this step-by-step (below) seems wasteful. An suggestions would be WELCOME!! Steps: 1. Make sure Control Panel Internet Connection Privacy lever is set a "medium" or below to allow cookies. 2. Fi...

removing auto-format /smart quote characters from excel and access data
someone passed me an excel doc with all the smart quotes and microsoft auto-formatting turned on. i can't for the life of me get the auto-formatting out of those documents. - i have saved as text and opened in wordpad - i have tried opening word, turning off the autoformatting, pasting the text. - i have copied/pasted and sent to myself in an text email (the auto-formatting came out, but the text wrapping didn't) AAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!! Hi Caitlin, if its a DOC it is a WORD document, if the extension is XLS then you are in the right NG. Please cofirm. Gilles Desjar...

I want in one worksheet to relatively link to/reference cells in another without changing the format of the current worksheet.
Hi, I want in one worksheet to relatively link to/reference cells in another without changing the format of the current worksheet. I.e. I'm working on a budget. In "sheet 1" I want to view the employees and their billable hours sorted by the teams the employees belong to. I want each employees row/info to be linked to "sheet 2", where it contains all the same info, but the sort is by employee position, not team. In otherwords I only want to enter information into the sheet sorted by position, and have the sheet by team automatically pick it up. I also want the abi...

XPath Query format...
I am not getting any nodes back with the following XPath Query. Please look at the XML that follows the code: XmlTextReader xtr = new XmlTextReader(this.fileName); XmlDocument xd = new XmlDocument(); xd.Load(xtr); xtr.Close(); XmlNode xnRoot = xd.DocumentElement; XmlNodeList xnl = xnRoot.SelectNodes("/Envelop/Docs/Doc"); // I have also tried: // /SDSJob/Envelop/Docs/Doc // //Doc int count = xnl.Count; // The count here is always 0 for me... Here is the XML... <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <SDSJob xmlns="http://www.tempuri.org/S...

How do I put a formula in a dialogue box; to be placed on a chart
I want to create a separate little box on my chart that will contain a formula that references cells not necessarily contained in the data ranges. Microsoft Excel 2002 on a WinXP SP-2 operating system. It would look like a text box in the upper right corner of the chart, but would contain a formula, NOT TEXT. You mean you want to link the textbox to a cell? Select the textbox, then type = in the formula bar and click on the cell. You cannot build a full-fledged formula in a textbox like this; build the formula in a worksheet cell, and link the textbox to this cell. - Jon ------- Jon...

Number and text format in the same call
I'm trying to change the format of the following" 12345678 to 123-45-678 -- in other words, adding the dashes. Some of the numbers are the same 8 digits, but also have a letter. They are currently: 12345678A to 123-45-678A Thank you, In a helper column put this formula and copy down.....then do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values on that helper column to eliminate the formulas and delete the original column if desired. =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,2)&"-"&MID(A1,6,99) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jim Davis" <Jim Davis@discussions.m...

format cells: decimal or integer needed
When I try to fromat a cell and want to change the category under the number tab I get an error message that tells me "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal may be required." Deciaml places is highlighted but when I enter any number in this field I get the same error message. I have to right click the title bar of the Format Cells window to close it. Sometimes I then get an Application Error- Error access violation(0xc0000005). Address:0x308047fe. How can I get rid of this bug? I'm not sure if this will work. But I tried this. I used a macro to format my ...

Copying a Conditional Formatting Formula
I am tyring to copy a CF formula, using Copy - Paste Special - Formats, but it is not retaining the relative references within the CF formula. Am I doing something really silly here thats preventing this? My CF formula is =AND($A8+($A8<$AA$1)>=($AB$1+(30/1440)),$A8+($A8<$AA$1)<=($AB $1+(30/1440))+(($AB$1+(30/1440))<$AA$1)) This is in D8, so in D9:D31 I expect only A8 to change to A9; A10 etc, but it stays at A9 in the cells D9:D31 Hi Have you tried using the format painter? Select D8, activate the format painter and drag down to D9:D31. Hopes this helps...

Formula to change text format to BLOCK CAPITALS
I have created a spreadsheet to record names of guests invited to an event, with a yes/no drop down list [column B] to record their response to the invitation. I want to create a formula which will convert their name [columns D & E] to BLOCK CAPITALS if I record a 'yes' response. I don't know how to make this happen, beyond knowing I have to write some kind of formula. Please help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "Georgeina&quo...

Text Formatting
I have text direct from a US system in a report, the text is a US date eg 01/30/2004. I would like to complete an aging report and need to find an easy way to convert text 01/30/2004 to 30/01/2004 to allow excel to recognise this as a date. I have around 400 lines of data to convert so dont want to have to do this manually. can anyone help?? Thx -- Suzanne Bond Highlight the column Click on <Format><Cells><Custom> and in 'Type' enter dd/mm/yyyy and click on OK Job done. Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "Suzanne Bond" <SuzanneBond@dis...

Document map without ToC
Is there any way I can get the Document Map to show without listing the ToC entries? It's pretty annoying seeing the same headings twice and 50% of the time inadvertantly clicking on the ToC entry not the paragraph heading itself. thanks Robin TOC styles have body text paragraph outline levels and so should not be caught by the document map. But the document map sometimes changes paragraph outline levels based on the formatting used. Modifying the TOC styles should get rid of TOC entries in the map. Pam Robin wrote: >Is there any way I can get the Document Map ...

Formating Large (200+GB) FAT32 Volumes Appears to Generate Errors
There are several Knowledge Base articles concerning FAT32 on Windows XP, particularly 314463 and 310525. The Disk Manager will not format a partition as FAT32. Using the HELP text, the appropriate FORMAT command would appear to be: FORMAT <deviceletter>:/FS:FAT32/V:XXX/A=64K/Q This gives the following error message: "This volume is too big for FAT32." Changing the cluster size to 128K (/A:128K), gives the following error message: " The specified cluster size is too big for FAT." Is this a known problem? The KB articles imply that the F...

Conditional Formating #3
Is there any way to conditionally format more than three conditions in Excel 2002 on XP? I'd like to color code cells by year quarter and need 4 colors. Thanks Ron, You're lucky. 4 colors is the maximum if you use the default color. For example, set the colors for Q1-Q3 with CF 1-3, then set the cell color the normal way (Format toolbar) for Q4. HTH Anders Silv�n "Ron" <ron.janosko@intel.com> skrev i meddelandet news:083001c383a7$c78c3ea0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to conditionally format more than three > conditions in Excel 2002 on XP? I'd...

Chart will put 0 data points on graphs for non-zero cells
I am attempting to make a chart with data from column A1-A7 using a scatter chart. The corresponding Y values in B1-B7 don't always have data in some cells. For example, if cells B1 & B2 are coded with if statements like: =IF(ISNUMBER(B1),$C$22-B1,"") The "blank" that is returned is forced to zero on the chart. If I have the conditional statement FALSE out, or TEXT out, the chart still forces the data point to zero. Any suggestions?? Regards, Matt -- rollinn95z ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rollinn95z's Prof...

conditional formatting across a row, based on value in a single ce
How can i format a whole row ( change the colour, font, fill) by using the value in a single row to conditionally format it In CF, change condition1 to Formula Is and use a formula like =$A5=7 or whatever the formula is, just make sure that you absolute the column. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "oaode" <oaode@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA581FE9-1386-48FA-A79F-48816F8216BB@microsoft.com... > How can i format a whole row ( change the colour, font, fill) by using the > value in a single row to conditionally...

too many different cell formats in excel
Can't insert row on excel due to above error. How do I fix it? Any ideals? The version is 2002. Check out this jassy XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "jassy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

GP2Bank Formats
Hi, we are using GP2Bank to create eft files for payment. We have noticed WBC NZ ( westpac New Zealand) has been rejecting the files created from GP (we create .txt. files not .aba) and it's still having prob's. Anyone else experienced this before? -- Great Plains Administrator - Australia. Hi you wanting to generate the file for Australian or New Zealand westpac? If for Australian bank, you need to choose the WBC Auz format. Robert "steeko" <abcrecruit@mail.com> wrote in message news:E7899456-3695-4D46-BAFD-78F64DF84978@microsoft.com... > Hi, we are using GP2B...