remove "linear" from trendline legend entry

Hi,  I am plotting some data but I only want to show the trends so
I've hidden all the scatter points and am showing just the linear
trendlines.  However, the legend entries are Linear (April), Linear
(May) etc...is there any way to just show the series names without
"Linear"?
Thanks.
0
dschneid (1)

Right-click the trendline.
In the pop-up menu choose Format Trendline.
In the dialog box that appears, choose the Options tab.
Under Trendline name, select Custom and fill in the new name.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA  .

"dschneiderch" <dschneid@gmail.com>
wrote in message
> Hi,  I am plotting some data but I only want to show the trends so
> I've hidden all the scatter points and am showing just the linear
> trendlines.  However, the legend entries are Linear (April), Linear
> (May) etc...is there any way to just show the series names without
> "Linear"?
> Thanks.

linear trend lines
can anyone help? I have to put 95% confidence intervals around a linear trend line. How do I work out the values for the trend line? I am using a scatter graph with 2 sets of data. Please help! --- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ The confidence bound for the estimated line at x is =FORECAST(x,known_y's,known_x's) +/- TINV((1-conf)*2,COUNT(known_y's)-2) *STEYX(known_y's,known_x's) *SQRT(1/COUNT(known_y's)+(x-AVERAGE(known_x's))^2/DEVSQ(known_x's)) the confidence bound for an individual observation at x is =FORECAST(x,known_y's,kn...

how do I graph a linear equation?
I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks. On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Throstle <Throstle@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I >do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create >a data table and ...

linear trend lines do not appear gaps in data
Linear trend lines will not appear when specified. I have a few gaps in my data. I suspect that is why they will not work. Can anyone verify this limitation and/or tell me how to get around it. Hi, Gaps in your data should not stop you from being able to add a trendline. Where version of excel are you using? What chart type do you have. Note that none of the 3d effects charts allow for trend lines. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "wirepusher" <wirepusher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5039B903-5E68-4196-AC08-...

Linear Fitting
Hello I have a 512*256 data file. What I want to be able to do is create a new matrix by doing the following First, I want to calculate the linear fit equation for each row (the equation is different for each row). Then, I want to replace every value in that row with the value stored there minus the linear fit equation, where x is just the index number for the row. I want to be able to do this for all 512 rows, ultimately creating a whole new data set Let me just provide you with an example so it's clear what I am asking. So in my data file there are 256 numbers in the first row. T...

linear charting with zeros
Have a line chart covering many cells. Data is added to each cell daily. The data cells use a formula. Problem is, the formula evaluates to zero without a value in the formula's source cell. Thus, the line chart, for future values, goes to zero. Is there a way to have the line on the chart simply "end" without showing zero out to the end of the data range? Thx. -- Bill Hi, You need to adjust your formula so it evaluates to #N/A rather than zero. =IF( <test> , <value> , NA() ) Line charts will not display markers for #N/A and the line is interpolated ...

Linear Optimization
how can I optimize with integer variables? Assuming you are using Solver, add a constraint that specifies the variables to be 'Int' (w/o the quotes). -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <E214DF54-5098-41E1-9DD9-74DD53017D30@microsoft.com>, FaranakNegahdar@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can I optimize with integer variables? > ...

Using Solver with Linear Constraint(s)
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP Pro SP2 *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.excel* Hi, Sorry but I have "writer's block" right now as regards to a spreadsheet solution I need. It's a simple problem but I am just drawing a blank at the moment.... Let me try to describe it: I have a cell chosen as the target for solver e.g. M25 = 1% (total market share) And a range as the cells to change by solver e.g. J4:J23 (market share as % at each period e.g. month or quarter, etc.) Each cell needs to progressively grow until reaching 1%. And the rate of growth of the cells in J4:23 needs to...

Using Excel's Solver for Linear Programming Problem
I would like to solve a Linear Programming problem using Excel's Solver as follows: Min C = 100*X1 + 150*X2 + 120*X3 Subject to constraints: X1 + X2 + X3 = 6 X1 + 2*X2 + X3 >= 8 X1 + X2 + 2*X3 <= 9 How do I set it up to arrive at the solutions? fcharn - Browse to www.solver.com, click "Solver Tutorial," and click "Can you show me step by step?" Or, search for and look at the SolvSamp.xls workbook, which is installed on your hard drive when Solver is installed. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com <fcharn@aol.com> wrote in message news:1139...

How do I anchor one end of a linear trend line?
I want to display a linear trend line to project an end point at a future time. I have a fixed starting point and want a linear extrapolation from that point. The standard linear trend line moves the start point to give a straight line fit to the data, but that's not what I am trying to do. In article <3CB2B42C-9FDB-4308-885D-052125CA25DE@microsoft.com>, "=? Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBTcHVybG9jaw==?=" <William Spurlock@discussions.microsoft.com> says... > I want to display a linear trend line to project an end point at a future > time. I have a fixed starting p...

Computer that can solve Linear Programming problem?
Computer that can solve Linear Programming problem? On 20/04/2010 14:56, Kayode wrote: > Computer that can solve Linear Programming problem? Computer this solution google is possible? -- Adrian C Excel contains a feature called Solver that does a fine job of not-too-large linear programming problems. If you model is very big and the need is real (not just academic exercise) visit www.Solver.com to learn about their applications best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Kayode" <Kayode@discussions.microsoft.com&...

linear fit
How can I obtain the propagation error (of tha a and b value ) when I do a linear fit of xi, and yi with excel? Tell us what A and B mean to you. Have a look at LINEST in the Help feature - it calculates standard errors in slope and intercept best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Mauro" <Mauro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65D211B2-8456-46FB-98DD-5D09B55CAB89@microsoft.com... > How can I obtain the propagation error (of tha a and b value ) when I do a > linear fit of xi, and yi wi...

Excel: Can I force a linear trendline through the origin?
Yes, open at the Option tab when you make (or format) a trendline There is a text box to set intercept to any value (including 0) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0487508-C3C9-46C9-A7E3-EA42B60016E2@microsoft.com... > I have done that, but it is not working. Perhaps it is because I am plotting a log-log graph and therefore there is no actual zero value for the y-axis. But I need the line to pass through the origin, and because the data covers severa...

Linear Scale on Graph
I am having a problem with a Graph. I have the following data: Time Image file Measure 1 10 Inner 10 HR 0.028 34 Inner 34 HR 0.032 38 Inner 38 HR 0.028 60 Inner 60 HR 0.025 72 Inner 72 HR 0.032 96 Inner 96 HR 0.053 I want the Time to be shown on a linear axis, but it defaults to an incrimental increase. How do I change the axis so that the line show the appropriate skew? Can someone help? Hi Barbara, You need to use a xy-scatter chart instead of a Line chart to get an incremental increase. Barbara wrote: > I am having a problem with a Graph. > > I have the following data:...

etsimate values of a linear trend for each pair of known values
Hi, is there a way to automatically fill in the blank cells between two numbers in a column B using a linear regression between those two points based on culumn A? Column A, B1, B5 and B7 are given. Column C (or B) should contain the results. I could use "b1+(b$5-b$1)/(ROW(b$5)-ROW(b$1))", but then I have to change the formula after each pair of values B and my data go for 3 years... A B C 1-jan 10 10 2-jan 12,5 3-jan 15 4-jan 17,5 5-jan 20 20 6-jan 14 7-jan 8 8 8-jan 9-ja...

Linear chart from cells in multiple worksheets
How can I build a chart that pulls the text entry from one cell and the numeric entry from another cell from multiple sheets within the same workbook? These will be the same two cell locations on all the worksheets. Each worksheet will be used to generate a score for an indivdual that appears in the text cell. I would like to see the scores plotted on a 1 dimensional horizontal axis with the corresponding name below each point. Thank you for any help!! All the data for a series has to come from the same worksheet, but you can use formulas to bring it all together onto a single summ...

what is linear regression? how do I apply it in Excel
I'm no expert but you can tr http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/tutorials/excel/regression.html good luck -- Sivods ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Sivodsi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26450 Linear regression is a means of fitting a line of best fit to a series of data points. The method is quite precise, and uses the 'least sums of squares method'. The output of a linear regression will also provide the equation of...

plotting 'random' data on a linear x-axis
I have a table (as shown below) and I'd like to do a simple line plot. I'd like to be able to plot this with linear x and y axes with the data points as shown in the table. Excel wants to evenly space the rows in my table along the x-axis. How can I get it to use the value in column A for the position of the data point on the x-axis? x-axis y-axis 128 1572.58 192 1178.92 256 785.25 360 465.15 480 324.03 512 303.30 600 257.99 750 211.37 960 146.10 1600 99.27 1920 75.86 2880 54.82 3840 43.98 You need an XY not a Line chart. ( a very common error - Microsoft should chang...

Perpendicular distance of a point from linear regression line?
Hi all, First post for me on here. I have some Excel charts, with least squares fit lines through the data. On each chart I have a single extra data point (it's own series) and I want to know the perpendicular distance from the line to this point. This is a physical distance in the real world, as my axes are both in milimeters but to different scales. Thanks for any help. --Winny You know slope and intercept of fitted line, and coordinates of point, so you can calculate dx and dy, the horizontal and vertical distance from point to line. By similar triangles, the shortest distance...

Linear trendline:wrong equation
Hi, I created a bar chart in Excel from the following data: X Y 73 6.6 78 5.7 86 4.8 The SLOPE and the INTERCEPT functions returned -0.136 and 16.4448 respectively. The resulting equation is Y = -0.136X + 16.448 which seems good enough to me. Then I added a linear trendline to the chart. Excel displayed the following equation: Y = -0.9X + 7.5, R ^2 =1 which is way off (and it's not a rounding problem)!!! The data seemed farly linear to me, how come Excel can't come up with the right equation??? Thanks Jan M. Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart. When you...

how to draw a line chart from a linear equation?
Hi, How do I plot a line chart from a linear equation (say, 5x + 10y = 100)? The equation has been created using Equation Editor 3.0 object. Thanks & regards, Jai Raj Nair Bangalore,India You cannot use Equation Editor for anything other than to <display> an equation. In A1 enter the text x,in B1 enter y In A2:A21 enter 1,2,3..... (use Edit fill) We need to rearrange your equation to y = -0.5x+10 In B2 enter =-0.5*A2+10 Copy this down to B21 - easiest way is to double click the B2 fill-handle (box in lowed right corner) Select with mouse cells A1:B21; click Chart Wizard t...

Can I perform linear regression with Access?
Can I do linear regression in Access without knowing how to write visual basic? Thx. On Mar 21, 3:43 pm, BilboBaggins<BilboBagg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:> Can I do linear regression in Access without knowing how to write visual> basic? Thx.you should be able to do it in Excel - just link to the Access query/table containing your data... Then it's just a matter of finding thecorrect function in Excel, which should be pretty easy. Or did youneed an Access-only solution? On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:43:23 -0700, BilboBaggins<BilboBaggins@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

data analysis-multiple linear regression with Excel 2007
Hi! I try to find the menu, but are confused about the new layout... Please help... Thanks Bjorn Hi Bjorn, Are you talking about Excel 2007? If so: Click the Data tab (probably top line of the Ribbon, next to Formulas). Now select the Analysis box, probably the most right-hand box. Also, you can also still use the Excel 2003 shortcuts: alt, A, Y2 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "B D Jensen" <bjorn.d.jensen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d832c146-92eb-4070-ac8d-38c1ff62c372@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com... | Hi! | I try to find the menu, but are co...

How to use solver to solve for 2 unknown in a linear equation?
How to use Excel to solve for 2 unknown in linear equation, for eg, x + Y = 1 3x + 4Y =7 Thanks Mike One way: A1: 1 B1: 1 C1: =A1 + B1 D1: =3*A1 + 4*B1 Set Target Cell = D1 Equal to Value of 7 By changing cells: A1:B1 Subject to the Constraints: $C$1 = 1 In article <84B8D8D5-95FE-41E1-B55C-B0850F5FB06B@microsoft.com>, Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How to use Excel to solve for 2 unknown in linear equation, for eg, > > x + Y = 1 > 3x + 4Y =7 > > Thanks > Mike Solver. Does it mean "Goal Seak" in Excel ...

forced linear regression
Hello, I have a dataset with a (straight) line fit to it (with regression value and everything). My question is how do I take line with a different slope and force fit it to my data and optimise this new fit (i.e. get a new, obviously smaller, regression value that's a maximum for the forced slope with my data)? It's sort of the opposite of forcing a line through zero, I think. Anyway, is it possible, and if so where do I go to find out how to do it? I think you have to do it the old fashioned way. Attached is a example. If you don't have 'Solver...' on y...

Linear spacing of points in log scale
Hi, I am searching for a formula to derive linear spacing in a log chart. The spacing between 1 and 2 in log scale much more than between 8 and 9. To derive a 'smooth' graph I need more points at low values of the log scale. For a sufficient number of points for the x-axis i am searching for a formula to derive this. Ron, It's raising a number to arithmetically spaced powers that will result in such spacing on a log scale. Try this. Put a bunch of arithmetically spaced numbers in column A, and the following in B, copied down: =10^(A1/$C$1) Example: Column A contains 1,2,...