Real-time update of chart using a Spin Button

Excel 2003:

If I use a spin button (form control) to update a cell in the series of a
line (or bar) chart, the chart does not update until I 'let go' of the spin
button. i.e. I click and hold on the spin button and the data is updated in
the relevant cell in the spreadsheet, but the chart will only update when I
stop 'spinning'.

Today, I have seen the updating of a bar/line chart as described above, but
the chart updated in real-time whilst the spin button was held down. The
author of that demo was not aware that he had done anything special to
achieve that effect, and when we compared the spin button control settings in
both his and my worksheets, they both appeared identical.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I have to do to achieve
real-time updating of a chart whilst the spinner is held down?

Thanks in advance.
0
BinaryD (3)

Hi,

Controls from the Forms toolbar will update when released.
Controls from the Control toolbox toolbar will update in real time.

So you need to use the control toolbox version of the spin button.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"BinaryD" <BinaryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2003:
>
> If I use a spin button (form control) to update a cell in the series of a
> line (or bar) chart, the chart does not update until I 'let go' of the
> spin
> button. i.e. I click and hold on the spin button and the data is updated
> in
> the relevant cell in the spreadsheet, but the chart will only update when
> stop 'spinning'.
>
> Today, I have seen the updating of a bar/line chart as described above,
> but
> the chart updated in real-time whilst the spin button was held down. The
> author of that demo was not aware that he had done anything special to
> achieve that effect, and when we compared the spin button control settings
> in
> both his and my worksheets, they both appeared identical.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I have to do to achieve
> real-time updating of a chart whilst the spinner is held down?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
andy9699 (3616)
11/7/2007 8:53:23 AM
Andy, thank you very much for your reply; the ActiveX spinner does indeed
work as you advise.

That solution will suffice, although it will require additional coding, but
I am absolutely certain the spinner I was shown yesterday updating in
real-time was a form control, as we compared the settings. I'll get in touch
with the person who showed it to me and report back.

Thanks again.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Controls from the Forms toolbar will update when released.
> Controls from the Control toolbox toolbar will update in real time.
>
> So you need to use the control toolbox version of the spin button.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "BinaryD" <BinaryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Excel 2003:
> >
> > If I use a spin button (form control) to update a cell in the series of a
> > line (or bar) chart, the chart does not update until I 'let go' of the
> > spin
> > button. i.e. I click and hold on the spin button and the data is updated
> > in
> > the relevant cell in the spreadsheet, but the chart will only update when
> > stop 'spinning'.
> >
> > Today, I have seen the updating of a bar/line chart as described above,
> > but
> > the chart updated in real-time whilst the spin button was held down. The
> > author of that demo was not aware that he had done anything special to
> > achieve that effect, and when we compared the spin button control settings
> > in
> > both his and my worksheets, they both appeared identical.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I have to do to achieve
> > real-time updating of a chart whilst the spinner is held down?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

0
BinaryD (3)
11/7/2007 9:46:05 AM
Hi,

One way to check would be to see what the content of the formula bar is when
the control is selected.
Some like this for a ActiveX control
=EMBED("Forms.SpinButton.1","")

and for  a Form control linked to a cell.
=$B$5

Cheers
Andy
--

> Andy, thank you very much for your reply; the ActiveX spinner does indeed
> work as you advise.
>
> That solution will suffice, although it will require additional coding,
> but
> I am absolutely certain the spinner I was shown yesterday updating in
> real-time was a form control, as we compared the settings. I'll get in
> touch
> with the person who showed it to me and report back.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Controls from the Forms toolbar will update when released.
>> Controls from the Control toolbox toolbar will update in real time.
>>
>> So you need to use the control toolbox version of the spin button.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "BinaryD" <BinaryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Excel 2003:
>> >
>> > If I use a spin button (form control) to update a cell in the series of
>> > line (or bar) chart, the chart does not update until I 'let go' of the
>> > spin
>> > button. i.e. I click and hold on the spin button and the data is
>> > updated
>> > in
>> > the relevant cell in the spreadsheet, but the chart will only update
>> > when
>> > stop 'spinning'.
>> >
>> > Today, I have seen the updating of a bar/line chart as described above,
>> > but
>> > the chart updated in real-time whilst the spin button was held down.
>> > The
>> > author of that demo was not aware that he had done anything special to
>> > achieve that effect, and when we compared the spin button control
>> > settings
>> > in
>> > both his and my worksheets, they both appeared identical.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I have to do to achieve
>> > real-time updating of a chart whilst the spinner is held down?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

0
andy9699 (3616)
11/7/2007 10:07:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I won't be able to have a look until next week, but I
will provide feedback if possible.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One way to check would be to see what the content of the formula bar is when
> the control is selected.
> Some like this for a ActiveX control
> =EMBED("Forms.SpinButton.1","")
>
> and for  a Form control linked to a cell.
> =$B$5
>
> Cheers
> Andy
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "BinaryD" <BinaryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Andy, thank you very much for your reply; the ActiveX spinner does indeed
> > work as you advise.
> >
> > That solution will suffice, although it will require additional coding,
> > but
> > I am absolutely certain the spinner I was shown yesterday updating in
> > real-time was a form control, as we compared the settings. I'll get in
> > touch
> > with the person who showed it to me and report back.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Controls from the Forms toolbar will update when released.
> >> Controls from the Control toolbox toolbar will update in real time.
> >>
> >> So you need to use the control toolbox version of the spin button.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "BinaryD" <BinaryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
BinaryD (3)

password for command button?
Is there a way to code a command button in its on click event that will prompt the user to enter a password to perform the command button's operation? Thank you. -Debbie On Jan 4, 11:34 am, Debbie S. <Debb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to code a command button in its on click event that will > prompt the user to enter a password to perform the command button's > operation? > > Thank you. > > -Debbie Yes, but you'll need to delve into VBA. Attach a click event to the button and in the code: Public Function Button1_Click() ...

How to select series in chart?

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Multiple stacked bar charts

transparent areas in charts?

printing 2 charts on single page

update column

Meeting updates #2

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

how to match the color of a button with its background?
Hi, I have a owner draw push button. I associate it with two bitmaps, one is down and the other is up. Is there a way to make the bitmaps's background color match the color of the window where the button is located. I manually choose the best matched color but still the result is not good. I can even see a white border line (not drawn by me) when the button is pushed. Please help. Thanks. Tony Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vcresed/html/_asug_choosing_an_opaque_or_transparent_background.asp May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:<408473...

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Letter Writing assitant to be used with Prospects
Would like to see Letter Writing Assitant to be extended to be used with Prospects. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=73b8a531-e5c3-4d8b-91ae-5b1758b9f1a5&...

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

question about Time

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

Short time vs short date

Online Price Updates
Somehow online price updating was turned on in my file. I have turned it off. However, when I go to delete the erroneous past-dated Online Prices for a particular stock, it appears they are initialling deleting, but when I return to the stock later, all the deleted online prices (from the past) are re-instated. It is as though none of the price deletions I performed have taken effect. How do I clean up these erroneous past online price updates? ...

Symbol Updating Only Every Few Days (if at all)
Using Money 2006, and have a symbol "VLO" that is only updating every few days. This stock was a duplicate (downloaded transaction created a new version of the same stock - my fault not clicking correct choice when asked). I've removed the symbol from the stock entry that was downloaded, renamed this entry to something bogus, deleting this renamed stock "from all accounts", then added the symbol back to the original VLO stock that I've been tracking for years. Now the stock just says "unch" in the portfolio view, and the price history is only updat...