Range Names with Charts

I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but
Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the
following formats:

rangename
=rangename
={rangename]
={"rangename"}

.... and various other formats.

Surely there is a way to do this ....?

Art
0
ArthurJ (13)

Hi,

try either depending on whether the named range is local to the sheet.
=sheetname!rangename
=bookname.xls!rangename

cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

for example if you are in source data-series
and you want a named range (xy)  in Workbook named test.xls
enter the values as
=test.xls!xy

"ArthurJ" wrote:

> I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but
> Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the
> following formats:
>
> rangename
> =rangename
> ={rangename]
> ={"rangename"}
>
> ... and various other formats.
>
> Surely there is a way to do this ....?
>
> Art
0
BJ (832)
6/6/2005 1:13:24 PM

"bj" wrote:

> you need to add the file name
>
> for example if you are in source data-series
> and you want a named range (xy)  in Workbook named test.xls
> enter the values as
> =test.xls!xy
>

> "ArthurJ" wrote:
>
> > I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but
> > Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the
> > following formats:
> >
> > rangename
> > =rangename
> > ={rangename]
> > ={"rangename"}
> >
> > ... and various other formats.
> >
> > Surely there is a way to do this ....?
> >
> > Art
0
ArthurJ (13)

Name cells before sort
Hi everyone I've a long list of clients, all with values. I have to count and sum them all but first i have to name them all. I'd like, if possible, to do a sort first and name it all and then put the list back how it was, but i loose the reference of the names. Any ideas? Tks in advance Pedro Hi Pedro, Try using a pivot table to summarize your data. For more help see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot...

Reverse chart column and row order
I'm running Office 2007 and all my charts are showing up in reverse order: I want a bar graph that looks like this: Series 1 -------------------------------->Column 1 Series 1 ------------------------->Column 2 Series 1 ------------------------------------->Column 3 Series 2 -------------------------------------->Column 1 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 What I'm getting is: Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2---------------------->Column 1 D3M ----------...

How do you create a list with name address phone in a column form.
I have an excel file with last name, first address city state in each column. I want to prepare a two column report with each persons name first then address then phone. Can't remember how to print out a different view of excel. Making it look more like a two column word document. Maybe you can use MSWord's MailMerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. denise108 wrote: > > I have an excel file with last name, first address city state ...

Text box disappears on chart
I added a text box to a chart and when I click off of it, the text box disappears (goes behind the chart). I have tried Bring to Front and Bring Forward, and it may or may not stay visible and print. I have clicked on the frame of the text box (it changes pattern) and tried Bring to Front - same problem. Any ideas? Carole O The text box is on the worksheet, not the chart. To fix the problem, Select the text box, and choose Edit>Cut Select the chart (you'll see handles on its corners and sides) Choose Edit>Paste, to paste the text box onto the chart. Click away from the char...

Tracking Attachment File Names
Why is Outlook 2003 so reluctant to expose details of attachments to the user. I would like to be able to search for, view, and print a report that targets the file names of attachments. The attachment file name only appears on a printed message if the message is formatted as plain text. Even then, the file name is only fully displayed if it is not too long to fit in the space allocated. As for being able to search for a file name, to see which message(s) contained that attachment, that just seems too hard. Utilities that strip attachments from messages and then insert a text string in th...

Chart numbers from multiple sheets
Is Excel 2002 capable of creating a chart based on numbers from multiple sheets in a workbook? Addressed in your other thread. Regards, Leni -- LeninVM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LeninVMS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31954 ...

E-mail Display names
When writing a new e-mail, I select a contact in my contacts list, the display name does not match the contact. In the contacts file john_smith@abc.com shows a display name of "John Smith", but when I select this contact using the "To:" button, the display name comes up as "John Smith (Business fax)", or "John Smith (john_smith@abc.com)" Nowhere in the contact file does the above items show up. How do I correct this? Please remember that no one can answer Outlook questions when you fail to provide even basic information such as your version. --...

Bubble Charts Colours go wrong
Hi, I have some bubble charts which are maintained by a VB script i wrote. The script sets up a data series based on a table with custom labels, sizes and colours for each bubble. I've now come across a problem that despite my macro setting the colour of the bubbles correctly and even the sample colour box in >format data series> patterns showing the colour i want, the bubble does not. please help! Darren. You don't show the code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 E...

Show Names drop down box not working
I recently graduated to Office 2003 and I'm having a problem I don't know how to get around. I want to send this email to a large number of people, so I want to select several names from one of my contacts folders. But it won't let me. Here are the steps I'm going through: From the Mail Screen, New, To, then I want to click on the "Show Names from the" drop down box, but it won't let me. When I click on the drop down arrow, nothing happens. I have used Outlook in its various versions for years and have always used this feature. These files were imported fr...

Invoice Number should be the name of file on pdf
When printing an invoice to a pdf format, or emailing the invoice, the system should automatically prompt you to name it as the invoice number, not "SOP Blank Document.pdf". ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesss...

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

is there a "File name" function in ms Excel (2002)
Hi Anyone know of any msExcel function that will give the name of the current file? To be honest I want if for printout purposes because I am trying to avoid the custom header etc (which seems difficult/impossible to format) Shiphen Shiperton Henethe One way =LEFT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),FIND(".", MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255))+3) can be put in any cell if you want the full path =SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",...

Money Bug 03/04: Stock Changes it's name but Maoney wont let that happen.
I have seen this in Money 2003 and now 2004. A company, such as DELL changes it's name but not is it symbol. When I download transactions Money asks if the new name is the same investment as the old name (obviously it is as they have the same symbol). I say yes it is the same. Money asks "Are You Sure Dell Computers is the same as Dell Inc". Regardless of how I answer this confirm It asks the first question again, and again and again and again until I admit that Dell Inc is NOT Dell Computer. Only then can I continue the reconcile. Every time I upgrade I wish I did not. I...

Unevenly spaced x axis on chart
Hi Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the particular date. For example, the columns may be: Date Days from Start Measurement 02/12/09 1 120 06/12/09 5 134 09/12/09 8 118 18/12/09 17 109 etc. I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days which I can do - BUT... I would like the x axis (days from start) to be spaced according to the number of days, which as you can see from the above are not evenly spaced. In other words, if there have been several days between measurements, I...

Removing gris effect in a chart
Hello all! I created a contour chart in Excel 2007. But there is a grid effect on the chart. Is it possible to remove it, and how? Thanks a lot! Hi, Select the legend and then select a legend entry. CTRL+1 to display the format dialog. The dialog should show Format Band in its title. Select Border colour and set it to No Line. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Olivier" <Olivier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8942BA16-4F43-4983-8057-0FECA1FC1711@microsoft.com... > Hello all! > > I created a contour ch...

created chart will not display
I tried to create a 3D pie chart within a spreadsheet. After highlighting the data that I wanted in the chart , the only thing that shows up is the chart title. The pie chart itself is no where to be found. Please advise Thanks,Belinda That probably means that Excel thinks your data are not numeric. If the values you are plotting are in, say, B2:B5, in some empty column, say C, starting with C2, enter =ISNUMBER(B2) and copy down to C3:C5. What do you get? -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 d...

Naming a Macro with a Letter
I have saved a series of macros to use in a workbook, but Excel will not allow me to name a macro "C." I have used lots of other letters with no problem, but when I name a macro "C" it tells me that it is an invalid name. Is there any way around this? If not, what is the reasoning behind it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I use xl2003 and I could name a macro "C". But I couldn't run it via tools|macro|macros... I could write if I specified the module it was in (just typing: module1.c, then clicking Run was sufficient). In fact, if I c...

Adding the users name to a new list item
Is there a way to create a list so that when the logged in user creates a new item, it automatically insert's their user name into a column? I'm creating a time entry list, and don't want the users to have to type their name in every time they add a time record. The controller will review this list once a week and create reports based on the user, client, etc. Thanks in advance! Gavin Use the Created by column. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Gavin Steiner" <gavin@interprom.com> wrote in mes...

#NAME? Error On The First tjree Choices In An IF Statement
Greetings, I have a formula that is looking at the contents of another cell and choosing one of three letters to display. It is giving me #NAME? error on the first three choices and the correct blank output ("") for the last choice. The cells in column G are looking at the results in column F, which is looking for either a number or not a number in column C. The formula's are as follows: C4 - A number or text F4 - =IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(C4)),,IF(C4=0,"No Service","Hour Service")) G4 - =IF(F4="Hour Service - S",S,IF(F4="Hour Service - B&quo...

Charts for Social Work
Need help in creating 2 charts. Not sure if it�s possible in Excel. Hopefully I�ll give enough details. Chart #1 Y-axis: Range is 35 to 5, where the 35 is a minimum value at the botto of the chart. X-axis: There are actually three categories, but it is not a Bar Chart per se. Category Names(should appear at the top of the chart, not as an axi label): Baseline, Intervention, and Follow-up (The X-axis should hav gaps, so each category is separated; there actually should be no axi label) The Y-axis represents a score between 5 and 35. The score for th Baseline is 22 and is supposed to be re...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...

Cannot change criteria on copied chart without changing original c
I have a chart that I created from a pivot table. Instead of creating 40 plus charts individually, I tried to copy the original chart and change the location for each chart. When I change the facility location for one chart it changes all others. How can I get around this? Steve You'll need to make independent pivot tables for each chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services 774-275-0064 208-485-0691 fax jon@peltiertech.com http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FF39D...

scroll bar missing in charts
I don't know how I managed to do it, but I have locked my charts into being viewed as "fit to window." I have no scroll bars. I checked to make sure the Tools/Options/View horizonal and vertical scrollbars were checked, and Tools/Options/Chart, and unchecked "chart sizes with window frame." Nothing happened, and when I reopened the Tools/Options/Chart, the box was re- checked! I can't uncheck "fit to window" in the view mode, and I can't click on zoom. Please HELP!!! You haven't by any chance just hit View / FullScreen have you, in whi...

Create an auto chart using macro
Hi all, I would like automatically generate a Gantt style graph though use of a Macro and a little button. I have the following data Task description Start date End date % completed % remaining. Does anyone have some code that I can just use? Haha, I think it's going to be a little more complex then you think it's going to be. Start here: http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/excel-gantt-chart.html You should probably get acquainted with that. There's a video there too. May be a good learning experience, but I think you already know a bit about G...

Import "tab name" to cells
Hi. Is there a way to import the name of each tab to each worksheet? I'm creating a rather large worksheet and each workpaper needs to have the name of tab listed at the top. Please help!! Instead of using the Header/Footer option, I need to show the name of each tab in, for example, cell A1 of each w/b. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >What do you mean? >You want to print them? > >"Stan" <stanyoo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht >news:8db601c35b60$0b56c5d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> Hi. >> >> Is there a way to import the name of each ...