Range in Bar Graphs

Hi you guys,

I'm making charts for an assignment due tomorrow and I have to add th
range of the values to every bar in my bar graphs (bars showing th
average value).
It's supposed to be a line just like the one line that indicates th
average deviation, yet I don't want this line to show the deviation bu
rather the range of values that were the source for the average that i
being shown by the bar.

So for example we have the values 3, 4, and 5. The Average of tha
should be 4.
The bar shows the value four (4 is on the y axis) and drawn across thi
bard I would like to have a vertical line ranging from 3 to 5.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance

--
use
user's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1496

Your data would look like this:

(Values in a list)
--------------
Average(Values)
Min(Values)
Max(Values)
Max-Ave
Ave-Min

Your bar plots the Average. Double click on the bar and click on the Y Error Bar
tab. Click in the Custom (+) input box, and select the Max-Ave cell with the mouse.
Click in the Custom(-) input box, and select the Ave-Min cell.

This assumes a single bar in your chart. If you have a range of bars, of course you
have a range of averages, and four ranges below for Min, Max, Max-Ave, and Ave-Min.
Just like you use the range for the values of the bars, you use ranges for the error
bars.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

user wrote:

> Hi you guys,
>
> I'm making charts for an assignment due tomorrow and I have to add the
> range of the values to every bar in my bar graphs (bars showing the
> average value).
> It's supposed to be a line just like the one line that indicates the
> average deviation, yet I don't want this line to show the deviation but
> rather the range of values that were the source for the average that is
> being shown by the bar.
>
> So for example we have the values 3, 4, and 5. The Average of that
> should be 4.
> The bar shows the value four (4 is on the y axis) and drawn across this
> bard I would like to have a vertical line ranging from 3 to 5.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

If statements that look for a date range
Help!!! I am trying to look at an ActiveCell and determine if it is in a certain date range from the current date to 180 days prior and then complete an action. Any suggestions? Brian, You cannot look at the activecell with a formula as that would be circular. You could use this in say B1 =IF(AND(A1>=TODAY()-180,A1<=TODAY()), "do something", "do something else") -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Brian Roberson" <Brian.Roberson@bellsouth.com>...

Edit options in the forms tool bar un-usable
I have an employee here that is excel-savvy but can't understand why she can't use the edit options in the forms toolbar. (nor can I)These consist of the "Edit Box", "Combination List-Edit", "Combination drop-down edit", and "Edit Code" tools. Can anyone explain this to me or tell me how to make them available? They're there, they just aren't usable. I was thinking that she has to be in a certain mode but I just don't know. It's to be compatible with excel 5 files, with files created with 97 and later they are not avai...

Menu bar question
Hello, Is the menu bar going to be a feature of Office 2010, and does anybody know if the menu bar is being phased out in all software as we know it, or can we expect the menu bar to be a feature of software in the future. I'm definitely in the pro-menu-bar camp, and was greatly disappointed when the menu bar disappeared in 2007. I haven't gotten used to the ribbon bar concept at all and found that I'm unable to do anything that I was already quite good at, and I was struggling and stumbling around using the software and couldn't accomplish much or anything in...

Scroll Bar Delay
I want to use a scroll bar to control which 18 months of data are viewable. Right now I have an ActiveX scroll bar linked to a cell with the minimum being 11 since the earliest data I want is 11/1/07. In the cell below that I have the formula =DATE(2007,AB3,1), which gives me the starting reference date. Back in Column C I put the formula =$AB$4 in cell C7 then below that (and each subsequent row) =DATE(YEAR(C7),MONTH(C7)+1,1) for 18 months. Then the 4 columns to the right of the date has the various information for that month populated through a pivot table on another sheet usin...

Access 2007 graph/chart
I have created an access graph in Microsoft Office XP Professional using a union query. I have now moved the database into Access 2007. When I look at the graph in design view everything is fine. When I switch to form view, the window around the graph is present but no graph. If I click on the window, the graph appears as seen in design view (correct). How can I make the graph load properly? Is this a focus issue? Would appreciate any help. Thanks. Arnold ...

How do i draw a regression line on a scatter graph
I have drawn a graph and i want to put a regression line to see if it fits please help Me what do i do? Select your series, and then either through right-click or through the Chart menu: Add Trendline. -- David Biddulph "tum tum" <tum tum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E86DDB1-5E7C-448A-8D89-2602B27EE2E3@microsoft.com... >I have drawn a graph and i want to put a regression line to see if it fits > please help Me what do i do? ...

COUNTIF function with date range
Is there anyway to use the COUNTIF function with a date range. I'm trying to count each date within a particular month. For example, =COUNTIF(G5:G100, "12/**/03" And this example with the wildcards is currently not working. Thanks. Amy Hi, Try, =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(G5:G100)=12)) Hope this helps! In article <fd8501c43e96$22a9daf0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Amy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there anyway to use the COUNTIF function with a date > range. I'm trying to count each date within a particular > month. For ...

Graphing past months (totals) and current month (weekly total) in

I need to combine a bubble chart and a line graph (Excel 2003)
I have a simple data set of: Column A: X axis Column B: Y axis Column C: Bubble width I have the bubble chart complete. Now, I want to plot the X/Y axis data as a line graph OVER the bubble chart to show the sequence of the data points from start to finish. Excel HELP is no help. Is there a way to make a second graph (the line graph), change the background to "transparent" and then copy it over the bubble graph? Or, is there a better way to get what I need? Thanks for any help! Bernard showed how to make one chart transparent in your other thread. I have a very simpli...

Excel graph series list bug
When selecting a data series from a list that does not fit in the selection window, the user must scroll down and pick it. The program automatically jumps back to the top of the list and selects the top entry. Then the user has to pick the series again. It works the second time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsr...

Bug in ActiveDocument.Range.Font?
I'm trying to check whether files contain certain font attributes (hidden, smallcaps, etc.) anywhere within the whole document or in its sections but the code below seems to return wdUndefined (9999999) irrespective of whether the document has any hidden text or no at all. Strangely enough, it works for short test documents but when I try it on a "real" document 20 or 30 pages long, it always returns .Font.Hidden = 9999999 even though running a Find for hidden text shows that the document has no text with hidden font.. It also fails at Section level but works proper...

Need to show percentage reduction on bar chart
Hi. I have a chart with two stacked columns on it. Say the values on the left stack are 200, 100, 80 and on the right stack 120, 40, 20. I want to display the totals on top of each stack ie 380 and 180. Secondly to the right of the right hand stack I want to show the percent reduction in each component. So 40%, etc. Is there a way to do these two tasks? Thanks. Put the totals (380, 180) into the worksheet, and add these as a new series. The series will be added as another stack, but right click on it, choose Chart Type, and select a line type to change it. The points are aligned ...

Last Orders at the Free Speech Bar
Before the big red button is pressed to send this newsgroup into oblivion. Before the Pied Piper begins playing his tune to lead all to the forums. Before the rug of free speech is pulled from underneath the average Windows user. Before the Iranians get nuked for playing with a centrifuge and a bit of Uranium..... **NOW** is the time to ask those burning questions you've always wanted to ask but never dared before. Don't waste the opportunity. It could be your last .... -- Jon YOU ARE AN IDIOT! THE MICROSOFT NEWS GROUPS THAT WERE KILLED OFF THIS MON...

Graphing Multiple Data Points
What would be the best way to graph this and how? I've been trying to do a line graph because this is how we wanted it displayed but I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out. Sample Data Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Week 1 Occupancy 56% 65% 54% 75% 80% 82% 54% ADR $80.00 $85.00 $84.50 $86.50 $89.50 $84.26 $86.54 Week 2 Occupancy ADR Week 3 Occupany ADR Week 4 Occupancy ADR T...

Find data in two ranges
Hello, I have a worksheet with in the same row two different ranges: one with nummeric data one with time values. These two ranges works as follow the first nummeric data cooresponds with the first time value, the second nummeric data corresponds with the second time value. For the nummerric data I calculated the best of 3. Now I need the corresponding time value for those best of 3. Thanks for your help with this one. Someone replied to your other post and asked for more detail. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Santafe" <Santafe@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Stacked Bar graph
This is probably an easy question for most of you but I am not an avid Excel user, or really a basic user at all. What I have is data from a survey that I am trying to graph. I have a question1, an average response number, and a desired response number. I need to create a single bar graph showing bot numbers in that bar by different colors as the "stack." Can someone help me with how the data needs to be setup and if there is anything else I should know. I am using Excel 2007 I would think a line chart would be better, with one series each for average response and desired...

Dynamic Range Defined by Value of Cell
I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows: A B C Product1 qty cost Product2 qty cost .... ProductN qty cost TOTAL qtytot costtot The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always capture A:C and as many rows up and including the first time it finds "TOTAL" in column A? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. I don't know what you mean by "define a range" b...

Task Bar
when I open windows live mail the top task bar is not there. The one that should show "file, edit, view, go, tools, actions, help". How do I get that task bar? -- tom That was done on purpose, to save screen real estate so you can see more of the message without scrolling. To get a one shot view of the menu bar, press the Alt key. If you want it displayed permanently, click the Menus button (to the left of the circled question mark).=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "tomgott" <...

Dynamic Range Chart and Ignoring Zeros
I have several pareto charts including cummulative percentages which are built from pivot table data which is constantly changing. (Note: I have copied the pivot table data into regular cells) I have tried to use the dynamic range chart, however, because there zeros the dynamic range still shows all the values. Also keep in mind I have tried all the hiding zero methods commonly used to make them invisible. Please Help! Excel 2007 PivotTable, PivotChart Histogram, Pareto Zeros not counted. http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/12_24_09.xlsx On Dec 24, 1:15=A0pm, He...

Clear a range of cells given 2 Cell addresses
Hi I want to be a able to clear a rectangular area. I know the top most left corner address. I know the bottom righ corner address. all addresses are in the format r,c where r,c are integers. So I know cell 1 to have coordinates (r1,c1) and cell 2 to have coordinates (r2,c2). How can I issue a clear command to clear all data and formulas in this region? Thanks much in advance. Ekareem Hi Ekareem, Try ... range(cells(r1,c1), cells(r2,c2)).clearcontents. With kind regards, JP "ekareem" <ekareem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

getting value of named range
I have a named range. Lets say it goes over lots of cells. A1 to E20 Can I get the values out as a string? Single string. I have tried some things like: excel.Workbooks(MyWorkbook).Worksheets(MyWorksheet).Range(MyRange).value any ideas whoops, this should be in programming sorry "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message news:%23Ip5wsw0IHA.4164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I have a named range. Lets say it goes over lots of cells. > A1 to E20 > > Can I get the values out as a string? Single string. > > I have tried some things like: > > excel.Wo...

Two stacked bars
Hi. I would like to create a stacked bar chart that actually has two stacked bars for each "X" category. Series 1 is in b3 through b7 Series 2 is in c3 through c7 Series 3 is in d3 through d7 Series 4 is in e3 through e7 I would like to stack series 1 and 2 together and series 3 and 4 together. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Mike. As answered in microsoft.public.excel.misc: If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Jon Peltier has links to instructions on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Mike D. wr...

Graphs
I am having a bit of a problem with converting my Access 2000 graphs to 2002. I notice they reference Microsoft Graph Chart,MSGraph.Chart.8. I thought it should be referencing Chart 10 or something on that line. Is this correct? It automatically uses this when I use the chart wizard. The problem is when I try it on other XP machines it coughs on this and the graphs are cut off. Any suggestions? Lizzie I have the same problem, only I can't even get one machine to do it correctly. Someone, please help! Gal "Lizzie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

How do I reset the default colours in a line graph
You mean, how do you change the default values? Tools > Options > Color tab, and change the colors in the bottom row or two of the palette ("Line Colors"). Or do you want to undo the custom formatting you applied and now hate? Double click each series, and change all the settings on the Patterns tab to Automatic. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html _______ "AIH...

Sorting X Axis of Graph embedded in a Form
I have months defined in a table that I need on hte X axis of a graph. But the sort order is alphabetic which does not sort by months of the year. I have tried putting a sort order by number; but it doesn't work. How can I sort this with Jan being the first month in the order. Apr and Aug show up first. You need to update the Row Source property to sort by the month number. If you can't figure this out, come back with the Row Source SQL view. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Sorting in a Graph" wrote: > I have months defined in a table that I need on hte X ...