Q: Charting with two variables on the Y-axis

Using Excel 2000:

Hey all,

I have two tables and want a line graph based on one row,
but with the values of another row:

Votes:
------
Region1: 10, 10, 15
Total:   50, 60, 100

Satisfaction Rates:
-------------------
Region1: 60%, 80%, 45%
Overall: 50%, 90%, 50%

I want a line graph that compares the satisfaction rates
of region 1 vs. overall (ie, it will show two lines, one
for region1, one for overall). That's pretty
straightforward. However, what I also want is, for
Region1, to show the vote counts as values above (or
below) the datapoints for the region 1 line.

Can this be done, and if so, how?

Thanks!
-Mark

0
anonymous (74722)

Mark -

Make your chart with satisfaction values. Then use Rob Bovey's Chart
Labeler (http://appspro.com) or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools
(http://j-walk.com), both free addins, to apply the labels in the votes
range to the satisfaction lines.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

MarkD wrote:
> Using Excel 2000:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I have two tables and want a line graph based on one row,
> but with the values of another row:
>

> Votes:
> ------
> Region1: 10, 10, 15
> Total:   50, 60, 100
>
> Satisfaction Rates:
> -------------------
> Region1: 60%, 80%, 45%
> Overall: 50%, 90%, 50%
>
> I want a line graph that compares the satisfaction rates
> of region 1 vs. overall (ie, it will show two lines, one
> for region1, one for overall). That's pretty
> straightforward. However, what I also want is, for
> Region1, to show the vote counts as values above (or
> below) the datapoints for the region 1 line.
>
> Can this be done, and if so, how?
>
> Thanks!
> -Mark

Thanks Jon,

I'll have to keep those websites (as well as yours) in
mind. Unfortunately, my company won't allow me to install
addins -- go figure.

-Mark

0
anonymous (74722)
1/26/2004 10:27:06 PM
Mark -

Another example of the way that many IT departments exist to make their
employees jobs harder. You don't need to install an add in, though, you
can just run it like a regular program. Do they let you use floppy disks?

- Jon
-------

MarkD wrote:

> Thanks Jon,
>
> I'll have to keep those websites (as well as yours) in
> mind. Unfortunately, my company won't allow me to install
> addins -- go figure.
>
> -Mark

I would imagine, though, that in order for others to see
the spreadsheet, they would also have to get the addin,
right? If that's the case, then I can't do that.

I agree with you about the IT restrictions and it's not
the first time. I needed an addin for FTPing in Access and
couldn't get that addin either. Oh well.

-Mark

0
anonymous (74722)
1/27/2004 7:32:41 PM
No, the addin puts the labels into your chart. Someone without the addin
can still see them once you've put them there.

How do they prevent addins?

- Jon
-------

MarkD wrote:

> I would imagine, though, that in order for others to see
> the spreadsheet, they would also have to get the addin,
> right? If that's the case, then I can't do that.
>
> I agree with you about the IT restrictions and it's not
> the first time. I needed an addin for FTPing in Access and
> couldn't get that addin either. Oh well.
>
> -Mark

0
jonNOSPAM (60)
1/27/2004 11:44:09 PM
Hey Jon,

Well, if only I need the add-in, that may be easier to get
across to my boss.

As for how they prevent adding addins, they really don't
have a way to restrict it, it's just policy that I don't
want to bypass as it could get me terminated just on
principle.

Working in a smaller company was great; I could add
whatever I wanted. But I now work for a huge company.

Thanks for all your help!
-Mark

0
anonymous (74722)
1/28/2004 6:52:07 PM
Corporate intelligence is like committee intelligence. It's proportional
to 1/N. Unfortunately, even though policies were made to be broken,
there are repercussions.

Do they let you record macros? My old company used to send a guy around
deleting personal.xls, until we threatened to kill the guy. They must
have though one of us wrote the leroux virus.

- Jon
-------

MarkD wrote:

> Hey Jon,
>
> Well, if only I need the add-in, that may be easier to get
> across to my boss.
>
> As for how they prevent adding addins, they really don't
> have a way to restrict it, it's just policy that I don't
> want to bypass as it could get me terminated just on
> principle.
>
> Working in a smaller company was great; I could add
> whatever I wanted. But I now work for a huge company.
>
> Thanks for all your help!
> -Mark

Charting Hidden Data
Hi Everyone, I am charting data which sits in rows where i have grouped the data (using Data...Group and Outline...Group...). Trouble is, when I hide the data (by collapsing the grouped rows) my chart goes blank. Is there a way to allow charts to see the 'hidden' data? TIA, big t AFAIK, No, but you could copy somewhere else and chart that -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "big t" <bigt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52646DA0-CA59-411E-8884-C4568887DD02@microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > I am charting data w...

Sum using two criteria
Hello, Is it possible to sum up all contracts won in a given month? This is the information I enter into excel. Kit#, Submit Date, Award Date, # of Kits, Price Quoted, Won / Lost. The date format is 4-Mar-97. I only want to sum the awards that have Won in the Won / Lost Colomn. Here is the formula I used.{=SUM((C13:C165="Mar")* (L13:L196="Won")*(J13:J165))}. Thanks in advance for your help. Mark If you really have the date in column C: =SUM((MONTH(C13:C165)=3)*(L13:L165="Won")*(J13:J165)) (array entered, still) And those ranges have to be the same s...

Bug in Excel 2007. Impossible to add new data to exsiting chart ??
Gentlemen, I have an existing Excel file (Office 2003) that we opened in Excel 2007. No compatibility problem were found. The date page (Salesdata) consist of two columns A4 to A186 (Date format from April1993 until July2008 ) and B4 to B186 (Sales/normal value data April1993 until July 2008) Next there are 12 charts (January until December) Each chart contains the month value of each year. Example, The March chart contains the data from March 1994 until April 2007. Problem/Bug: When we try to add the data of March 2008 (A183:B183) to the chart March it doesn't work ???? We made a cop...

Copy Axis Format
In Excel 2003 I could use the F4 key to copy changes to the axis to multiple graphs within a workbook. It disappeared in 2007. There was another post on this, but it does not display. Is that function still available? have you tried CTRL-Y ? -- isabelle Le 2012-04-03 08:57, M B Marcus a �crit : > In Excel 2003 I could use the F4 key to copy changes to the axis to multiple graphs within a workbook. It disappeared in 2007. There was another post on this, but it does not display. Is that function still available? > > ...

Charting sets
Hello, How do I chart sets in Excel? Example: 1. Yesterday, 100 people visited Microsoft website (set A). 2. Yesterday, 80 people visited Facebook website (set B). 3. Yesterday, 20 people visited - both Microsoft and Facebook websites (intersection of sets A and B). The graphic representation would be two circles: one whose size is "100" and one whose size is "80". They also have an intersection (an overlapping portion) whose size is "20". Thanks! Hi, Excel does not do Venn diagrams. You could try diagrams from the drawing toolbar. Although I could not resi...

Disappearing Chart Axis
Hi I have posted this problem before as Dynamic Bar Chart Category Axis Problem, but the search engine wouldn't pick it up and I'm assuming that's why I got no response. So here goes again.... I have created a dynamic bar chart (roughly based on Stephen Bullen's funchrt4). The number of categories can range from 2 to about 50 and ideally I would like the category axis names font to be Arial 10 at least. When the number of categories gets towards 50, the category axis names disappear altogether and the only way I have found to retrieve them is to manually reduce the f...

Side-by-side bar chart
Hello. I'm using Excel 2007. The goal: I want to build a bar chart that has two bars for each value (one is volume, the other is effectiveness). Category Effectiveness Volume A 11.4% 398241 B 10.2% 364633 C 6.9% 49214 D 12.4% 32790 E 15.4% 14148 The problem: I can get the two data sets added with each value (volume on the primary axis and effectiveness on the secondary axis). But... Excel tries to stack the the two bars by default... I need them side by side. I can't figure out how to get them side ...

update query based on two fields
Hello: I'm looking for help with an update query, i am looking to have a field changed based on the value in two other fields on the same row, Column G and Column H. I am familiar with doing an update query if it was based on the value of just G or just H, but not both at the same time. here is an example: If G and H is 60 and 30 then i want column J to be 678900 Col G Col H Col J 60 30 678900 60 15 XXXXX 25 30 XX...

charting #2
Hello I have different exported information on sheets in a workbook. For example Sheet a would have data for one day and sheet b, the next day, etc. The data will be in the same cell references on each sheet. Is there a way to plot this data? I am looking for a formula that will plot all the data for each sheet. I tried (sheeta e11, sheetb e11) etc but it will not seem to let me do this. If i cannot plot it directly in a graph, I would at least like to put in into a column on the last sheet( the summary sheet). I would like to somehow do this without manually entering all the data (=...

transpose two rows of data
I have data on two rows and I want to flip them., i.e., I want to move the data in row 1 to row 2 and vice versa. Any way to do this? All I've been able to do is a cut and paste, which is really time-consuming. Thanks in advance for your help! Copy the data, click on a new cell, and go to Edit > Paste Special > Transpose. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have data on two rows and I want to flip them., i.e., I want to move the >data in row 1 to row 2 and vice versa. Any way to do this? All I've been >able to do is a cut and paste, wh...

Geographical Charts
Hi there, I need to create a map of the Mediterranean region where every country has a colour linked to a value in an Excel table. Do you know which stuff I need to make it? Thanks, scaz Hi scaz, Sounds like you need Microsoft MapPoint. But, you might see if 'Map Charts beta - Europe' at http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx will do what you want. Ed Ferrero http://edferrero.m6.net/ > Hi there, > > I need to create a map of the Mediterranean region where every country has > a > colour linked to a value in an Excel table. > > Do you know which stuff I n...

Variable Value Function Help?
Here is what Im trying to do. In cell B2 I have List Validation that has a source of: "Local Buy, Mass Media Buy". In cell A2 I want the value to change based on what i choose in cell B2. What I'm aiming for is when i select "Mass Media Buy" in Cell B2 then I want Cell A2 to =B14 and when I select "Local Buy" in cell B2 I want cell A2 to =B19. I have tried using SUMIF, LOOKUP, and nested IF Functions, none of them seem to work for what Im coming up with. I know it is possible, but my logic is faulty with this issue. Any suggestions?...

cant select chart command bar
chart command bar does not open when I click the arrow. Looks like it is locked. how can open it? -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan A chart has to be selected before the Chart tool bar is enabled. Ensure that the worksheet is not protected and/or drawing objects are not protected and click the chart to activate it. The Chart tool bar should then be enabled. Regards, Greg "Khoshravan" wrote: > chart command bar does not open when I click the arrow. Looks like it is > locked. how can open it? > -- > Rasoul Khoshravan Azar > Civil Engineer, ...

Positioning x axis at bottom of chart with negative values
Im using Office 2007 and have a simple line chart with negative values on the Y axis. I have ticked the 'values in reverse order' on the Y axis but the X axis flipped to the top of the chart. How can I keep it at the bottom please? Thank you Format the y-axis and specify what value is to cross the x-axis best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Debs1967" <Debs1967@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B62818F0-EC87-4E95-812F-F58F3931C0BA@microsoft.com... > Im using Office 2007 and have a simple...

Two interest rates in account
Is it possible to set up Money 2007 Home and Business to track and update a credit card account with two interest rates? For example, debt reduction planner asks for interest rate of account, but what can be done if an account has one interest rate for purchases and another rate for balance transfers? In Money 2007 upon adding the credit card account it asks you what the interest rate is on the card which you specify, there is also a check box which allows you to specify if an introductory rate is in effect, what the introductory rate is and the date the rate will change after the intr...

How to change the color of all series in an excel chart in one go. #2
In Excel 2000 I have a chart (XY) with a large number of series. Excel assigns different colours to each series. I would like to have the same colour for all series and then change a few to highlight them. Do I have to change them all one by one or can I have excel make a chart where the series all have the same colour (preferably chosen by me)? Marielle - Format one series the way you'd like them all to look. Select another series, and press the F4 key to repeat, Select another and press F4 again, and continue until you've changed them all. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microso...

Dynamic chart ranges
I have workbook with several sheets that contain x-y data sets. Each has a single column of x values followed by several columns of y values. The definition of the x and y is the consistent between sheets however the number of data points varies from sheet to sheet. I made a summary sheet using combo boxes that allows a user to look at one specific data set (based on sheet name), and one specific y variable (based on column number). The summary sheet lists the specified variables and plots them on a simple x-y plot. The issue is that some data sets have 200 rows and some have 10,00...

Is it possible to generate a chart from a formula. or: Can I define and plot my own Trendline?
I'd like to generate a circle on a chart by entering the radius of the circle into a cell. Thanks in advance for any help, Greg Suppose the radius is in cell A1. Then, in B1 enter the formula =ROW()-1. In C1 enter =B1/180*PI(), in D1, =$A$1*COS(C1), and in E1 =$A$1*SIN(C1). Copy row 1 to 2:361. Plot D1:E361 in a XY Scatter chart. Once done, adjust the chart so that the x and y axis have the same min/max values. Also, select the plot area and extend it as close to the chart area as possible. Finally, select any cell. Then, hold down SHIFT and select the chart. Now, select...

Project sample data in TWO
I had to reinstall The World Online company and can't get the Project Accounting sample data macro to complete. I have tried all of the techknowledges on GP knowledgebase. It keeps stopping in different places.I have had to uninstall and reinstall many times. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this accomplished? Thanks Gina This macro has not run without error since version 60. >-----Original Message----- >I had to reinstall The World Online company and can't get >the Project Accounting sample data macro to complete. I >have tried all of the techknow...

How to change labels on axis?
I have a column bar chart in Excell 2007. The labels on my bars contain the text of each cell for that bar. These are currently stock symbols. I'd like to put the symbol in parenthesis and append the stock name. How can that be done? Easiest would be to replace the cells that contain the stock symbols with what you want to show. On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:09:16 -0700 (PDT), Dan <account@cygen.com> wrote: I have a column bar chart in Excell 2007. The labels on my bars contain the text of each cell for that bar. These are currently stock symbols. I'd like to put the symbol in ...

Inserting Data set into chart
I was wondering if there is anyway in Excel XP to add the data set used to create a pie chart into the chart window. Thanks in Advance Nelson Not quite, but you can come close. Check the 'data table' capability of an XL chart or, since a data table is very limited in its flexibility, see Custom Chart Table http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <7F1EB9F5-5D18-4AED-99A2-4B9903234E9D@microsoft.com>, =?Utf...

Need help auto-updating chart data sources.
Am trying to automate a spreadsheet that has been copied and pasted by hand for way too long. Here's what I need to do. Spreadsheet DOR auto-updates spreadsheet AGING. Now I'm needing to have the corresponding charts in AGING update with the newly added data.. Let's say that column A contains dates that that are used to populate the Z axis on my chart.. The Z axis of my chart always displays 6 dates worth of data.. What I'd like to have happen is when AGING is opened and auto-updated, the corresponding charts also update. Dropping the 1st position Z axis label (date) and ...

Changing Data Sources on Z (depth) axis in Excel 2007
Hi, I'm trying to create a 3d surface graph from a data table. My X axis values are across the top, my Z axis values are down the column, and I want to plot all the "guts" of the data table. The Y axis values are just the scale from the "guts" of the table. Does anyone know change these data series in excel 2007? Thank you so much! Nicole ...

change max scale in chart
Hi I am tring to get a macro to change the maximum scale value in a chart, based on a cell in the data sheet. In this case G5 in data "sheet1". In cell G5 , I have the max formulaI have named the chart "test". I have pasted the code in a module, and if, with help, it works, will paste the second code in "This workbook". As you no doubt guessed, I am not too familar with VBA, and have managed to get hold of this code, however, it is failing. Help appriciated Regards Sub UpdateScale() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("test").Activate With ActiveChart.Axes...

Multiple stacked columns chart with lines
Hi all, I have some experience with charting but I almost died trying to plot stacked columns chart combining with lines. My complete dream is to have: - month by month (so 12) groups of 3 stacks of volumes (each stack of 2 series each) - two lines in the same time for monthly margin I've followed Addy Pope's hint for stack bars with different width but it did not work. Is my idea crazy or that is possible to do? Best regards Krispo -- krispo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ krispo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?acti...