Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big

I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many
charts and graphs that were created in Excel.  Currently, there will be at
least 26 graphs/charts in the document.

In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
space to save the Word document because it gets too big.  The document itself
is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at least
26 graphs and charts.  I'm  looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts into
Excel without it taking so much memory.

One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links.  However, I
can't figure out how to do this.

Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
seem to be too big.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this?  What's the
best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?

We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.

Jennifer
0
Jennifer1 (141)

There are several aspects to your question. One key point that I'd like to
make is the idea you can add dumb pictures of your Excel charts which
require very little space or you can add the entire workbook and Excel
chart.

It sounds like you are copying the Excel chart in Excel then going to word
and hitting paste. When you do this you are actually copying the entire
book.

The alternative method that reduces file size in word is to use Edit> Paste
Special> (Enhanced meta File> . with this method you have a dumb picture, no
link back to Excel file. However, you have a smaller Word file, important
when you have dozens of charts.

You can reduce size even further by Exporting Excel charts as jpeg or gif
files then importing into Word.

Hope this helps.

"Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many
> charts and graphs that were created in Excel.  Currently, there will be at
> least 26 graphs/charts in the document.
>
> In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
> space to save the Word document because it gets too big.  The document
> itself
> is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at
> least
> 26 graphs and charts.  I'm  looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts
> into
> Excel without it taking so much memory.
>
> One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
> the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links.  However,
> can't figure out how to do this.
>
> Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
> seem to be too big.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this?  What's
> the
> best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?
>
> We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.
>
> Jennifer

0
dkod (205)
3/9/2006 8:41:58 PM
If you decide to use bitmaps, don't use jpg, use png or gif. However,
bitmaps are not as good a choice, because you can't change their size, even
a little, without distortion. Metafiles are tolerant of resizing, at least
to an extent. FWIW, there is no difference in the appearance of a regular
and an enhanced metafile; the difference relates to header information
hidden away in the file. A metafile may even be smaller than a bitmapped
image.

I'd paste the pictures using paste special - links. This contributes hardly
any more to the Word file size than a metafile, but it's dynamic, in case
the data is still moving, and at the end of the process, you can copy the
linked chart in Word, then paste special again, as a metafile. Or even go to
Edit > Links, and break the link, which converts the chart to a metafile.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Kelly O'Day" <dkod@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There are several aspects to your question. One key point that I'd like to
> make is the idea you can add dumb pictures of your Excel charts which
> require very little space or you can add the entire workbook and Excel
> chart.
>
> It sounds like you are copying the Excel chart in Excel then going to word
> and hitting paste. When you do this you are actually copying the entire
> book.
>
> The alternative method that reduces file size in word is to use Edit>
> Paste Special> (Enhanced meta File> . with this method you have a dumb
> picture, no link back to Excel file. However, you have a smaller Word
> file, important when you have dozens of charts.
>
> You can reduce size even further by Exporting Excel charts as jpeg or gif
> files then importing into Word.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> "Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have
>>many
>> charts and graphs that were created in Excel.  Currently, there will be
>> at
>> least 26 graphs/charts in the document.
>>
>> In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
>> space to save the Word document because it gets too big.  The document
>> itself
>> is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at
>> least
>> 26 graphs and charts.  I'm  looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts
>> into
>> Excel without it taking so much memory.
>>
>> One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
>> the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links.  However,
>> can't figure out how to do this.
>>
>> Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
>> seem to be too big.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this?  What's
>> the
>> best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?
>>
>> We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.
>>
>> Jennifer

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Chart template?
I am working with a chart, created from a pivot table. The chart has the various [drop down] fields available for selecting different values for the chart to show. I have formatted the chart with specific settings, fonts, colors, etc., but everytime I use one of the dropdowns, the formatting goes back to the default. I have looked for a place to save as a template, or defaults without luck. Thanks for any help you can provide! Alan ...

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

Grammar check not working

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Embedded Chart Versus Chart
I've created a class module to capture a Shift+Click on a pivot chart, which then opens the data associated with that point. It works great on pivot charts on their own sheet, but when I use the same code on an embedded chart, it fails (error code -2147417848). Everything seems to work fine, it derives the same row and column values as needed, but the ShowDetail property is unavailable in the embedded charts. Anyone have any insight? james Igoe || james.igoe@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com I eventually solved my problem, simply using "On Error Resume Next&...

Excel Problem

why are links to websites (inserted in publisher documents) disab.
why are links to websites and e-mailadresses (inserted in publisher documents) still working in emailpreview but disabled in webpage preview? ...

Excel DNS query