Protected XY plots change format spontaneously

I use Excel 2000 (9.0 SP3).

In my workbook, each of 20 worksheets has some data-entry
cells, an embedded XY plot, and some buttons for macros.
Each plot has 1 series - the data from the data-entry cells
on that sheet.  Cells outside the data-entry area are
locked.  The worksheets are all "protected" so that users
can make changes only in the data-entry cells.  Two more XY
plots are on separate sheets in this workbook - each has 12
series, and is also "protected".

I have about 20 such workbooks.  All are on a network drive
and are accessed by users working at various PCs.

I discovered that, even though the graphs are all
"protected" and can only be viewed by users, their
formatting changes spontaneously.  Label/title fonts change
size.  Plot areas and Legend boxes also change size.

As a result the graphs end up with
- fonts that change sizes,
- axis labels that overlap axis titles,
- plot areas that change size,and
- Legend boxes that change size, and overlap the plot area.

I believe this is because:
- different systems use different screen resolutions,
- different users change the size of the data entry
worksheets to suit their display, and
- some users turn on "Sized with Window" for the 12-series
plots, then others turn it off.

It took considerable effort to set these workbooks up with
uniform graphs.  How can I prevent the graphs from changing
this way?

Thanks

Ralph Bigio

   Ralph Bigio
   Weather Services Centre Halifax (METOC CENTRE)
   Aviation & Defence Services
   ralph.bigio@ec.gc.ca
   voice 902-427-0550 x6374 or x6386
   fax   902-427-6381
   CSN       447-6374

 "Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing,
 wind braces up, snow is exhilarating;
 there is no such thing as bad weather
 just different kinds of good weather."
          John Ruskin  1819-1900

Can I fix the exponent in scientific/engineering format?
This is sort of a continuation of my search to find a ppm number forma (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=368806). Found someone who mentioned using engineering formats (kind of a extension of scientific format). After a little tinkering, here's wha I've found (using the values of 7E-3 and 7=-5 as examples): format 7e-3 displayed 7e-5 displayed .0E+0 .7E-2 .7E-4 0.0E+0 7.0E-3 7.0E-5 (REGULAR SCIENTIFIC NOTATION) #0.0E+0 70.0E-4 70.0E-6 (EXPONENTS ARE MULTIPLES OF 2) ##0.0E+0 7.0E-3 70.0E-6 (EXPONENTS ARE...

highliting works on with html format?
Hi guys, Here is what I would like to do: In outlook, suppose I get a message in plan text format. I would like to open the email, and maybe make some sentences bold and colored. and then I can save it. Hence after sometime the email will be noticable for me. Now, I can do this if the e-mail is sent in html format cause then I open the message and then I press "edit message" and the edit toolbar becomes usable and I do things on the email. However, if the email is sent in "plain text" format, I can not edit the email at all. I try to push the "edit message" butt...

Changing the fields the LOOK FOR facility uses
Hi, Ive had a good look round the system and dont think this is possible, just wondered if anybody else has any ideas. The issue is as follows :- If I go to the default cases view (All Cases), I can see all cases against all accounts. I would like to be able to Look For all or part of an account name (or potentially other fields) to quickly filter this list. Is it possible to alter or add the fields that the Look For facilty will use to return results? or Can an advanced find use take arguments? Cheers Dan Hi, Go to Settings - Customization, and customize the Case enti...

changing SMTP Port
I am working on securing my Exchange 5.5 server on the SMTP port level. I have a box in the DMZ that listens on port 25 and then sends on port 1025. My internal email firewall inside the core listens and sends on port 1025. I have modified the service file on the NT 4.0 server wher my Exchange 5.5 is installed to show SMPT port as being 1025. I rebooted the server and test. I can send email to the exchange server, it is listening on port 1025 but is only sending on port 25. Is there a way to configure the Exchange 5.5 server to listen and send on port 1025? Thanks for any help given. Ron. ...

Number formatting issues
An ongoing issue I have had is with one of the columns in the reports I am accessing. One of the fields I access has a numbers in it such as "063740285007037" but when they are copied and pasted into another sheet "6.37403E+13" is displayed. Is there any way to correct this after the data has been pasted? Thank you for your help. Change the number format of that range. Select the range to fix Format|cells|Number tab|custom category type: 000000000000000 (as many as you need to keep the leading 0's) Or maybe you could paste a second time: Edit|Paste special|p...

Change Name in OWA
Hi all, I had a question about OWA with exchange 2007. Do users have the ability, through the GUI of OWA, to change their first and last names that are set in Active Directory? Robert no "supersonic_oasis" <supersonicoasis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01F36301-1428-482E-8E86-4BDC21EFFD04@microsoft.com... > Hi all, > > I had a question about OWA with exchange 2007. Do users have the ability, > through the GUI of OWA, to change their first and last names that are set > in > Active Directory? > > Robert ...

Formatting 0 values to show blank cells
I am using the =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),0,VLOOKUP(...)) to return a zero value. For printing purposes I need the 0 to not show in the cell (blank cell). I can do this by using the accounting format, but a dash (-) still shows in the cell. The sheet is protected to protect the formula. How can I protect AND not show anything in the cell WHILE keeping the value at "0"? You can use set the custom format to ;;""; See Worksheet and Excel table basics > Formatting numbers in Excel help file for details. "RLD" wrote: > I am using the =...

Change default "SaveAs" to *.msg rather than *.html
Hi!, I regularly need to save emails and prefer to save as *.msg so the attachments etc are contained within the one file. How can you change the default SaveAs command to Save as Type in a *.msg format (rather than *.html) so the type is already *.msg without having to use the pull down? Thank you Troy It would be nice to know what mail client you talk about :) "TroyB" <boeky72@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:420b0849$0$1496$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au... > Hi!, > I regularly need to save emails and prefer to save as *.msg so the > attachme...

How to change a Macro based on content of a cell
Hi, I need to import a text file into a spreadsheet. I can do this manually by doing File > Open > then select a text file. Then Excel goes through the Text Import Wizard I can automate this by recording a Macro in Excel. The macro looks like this (Excell wrote that for me, I did not): Sub Macro1() Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\DrillData\" + "MOR701.pck", Origin:=xlMSDOS, _ StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 1), Array(12 _ , 1), Array(26, 1), Array(37, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True End Sub How can I change ...

Insert .gif into protected doc
I have a document that I'm protecting from editing- all but 4 cells. In one of those 4 cells I want users to be able to insert a .gif. I'm able to type in those cells, but I can't insert a .gif. How do I enable this? Basically, I want to allow users to insert a .gif into a protected document, is this possible? I don't want them to know the password or to unprotect the doc in order to do this. "Michael Miazga" <subscribe@etwd.com> wrote in message news:uIIF$46SDHA.3088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a document that I'm protecting from editing- a...

Changing Fold Position
Publisher appears to favour top over side fold (for landscape cards) - I'd like to make some side-fold cards, but I can't seem to change the position of the fold. Any way to do it? I've had a request for side fold cards, and I can't let the customer down! Side fold are also more stable when displayed - tent cards tend to collapse I've found, book fold are more stable because there's less weight (or something!) And you all should know what version I'm running by now! If you don't, I ain't gonna tell ya! You'll just have to look through my posts! <eg&g...

Need help with format
I have 2,000 players in football pool game. What would be a format I'd use. How will I be able to find the player with the least amount of mistakes? Thanks, R2ri =Index(A:A,Match(min(B:B),B:B,0),1) Assume names are in column A, count of mistakes in column B if there is a tie for least amount, the player in the lowest numbered row with the least amount will be shown. Also look in Excel Help for the RANK function. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy R2ri <ron_2ri2ri@yahoo.comn> wrote in message news:339b01c37a44$ea707830$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have 2,000 players in football pool g...

Excell Cells: Auto Formatting
I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row and it wont extend. What can I do? When protecting the sheet allow users to format cells and rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:14:01 -0800, Sophie <Sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit >information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row > and it wont extend. What can I do? How do I jus...

Keekp track changes
I have excel with 100 records which will be update my another person. I would like to keep what have been change for that 100 record, any tools to track or how to do it ? You can use a macro that will automatically insert a comment in a cell giving the date and time whenever the cell is changed: Install the following event macro in the worksheet code area: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim r As Range Set r = Target r.NoteText Now End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200838 "DD" wrote: > I have excel with 100 records which will be update my anothe...

How to format number with mixed number and text?
I put the following formula into a cell: =6.65+0.15&" lb". It did what I intended, namely: add the numbers and display the result with the tag, i.e. "6.8 lb". However, the Number format seems to have no effect on the displayed result. For example, if Decimal Places is 2, the above result is still "6.8 lb", not "6.80 lb". I get more decimal places only if they are "needed". For example, =6.65+0.1511&" lb" displays 4 decimal places, even if the Number format is 2 decimal places. How can I control the format of the numeric ...

how do i change the programme in which hyperlinks open?
I have a database contain tables with hyperlinks to documents that open in Adobe Acrobat. I want them to open in the Standard version of the program, so that they can be printed. At present they open in Reader. Are these documents you are trying to open .pdf files? -- Lynn Trapp MCP, MOS, MCAS "Suzume" wrote: > I have a database contain tables with hyperlinks to documents that open in > Adobe Acrobat. I want them to open in the Standard version of the program, so > that they can be printed. At present they open in Reader. ...

Counting conditional formatting
Re my earlier post, I am tring to fond a formula to count those cells that have been formatted by conditional formatting. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:13:01 -0700, "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Re my earlier post, I am tring to fond a formula to count those cells that >have been formatted by conditional formatting. I have no idea what your earlier post was, as this post appears in a thread by itself. But to count those cells that have been formatted by conditional formatting, you will need to use the same formula that you used for the conditional form...

Sorting protected worksheet
Is there any way to sort a protected worksheet? I looked thru the posts here and found where someone said to create a macro that unprotected the sheet, then sorted the data, then protected it again. I tried that, but everytime I try to create the macro I get this error "Project Locked - Project is unviewable". Any suggestions? If the workbook is shared, you won't be able to unprotect it. Perhaps that's the problem. Phyllis wrote: > Is there any way to sort a protected worksheet? I looked > thru the posts here and found where someone said to create > a m...

How can I sort and maintain formatting?
I have a very large excel doc (well over 1,000 rows, by 30 somethin columns) that require formatting (resizing the row height) each row b hand. I have done all of that tideous work, but now I need to sort b multiple columns, and when I do that, the formatting of the cells i not maintained. (The size of the row stays, rather than moves with th data) Please tell me there is a remedy and I haven't just wasted m time formatting for nothing! Thanks for any and all advice -- littlelostgr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- littlelostgrl's Profile: http:/...

External Data and Sheet Protection
I have a sheet that runs automatic external web and database queries...I need to protect the sheet from user changes but when I do the automatic updates are not permitted either. Is there a way to permit auto updates and prevent user changes a the same time? THANKS. Untested: Maybe you could have your query put its data in another sheet (hidden, but unprotected). Then use formulas to return the values to the user's worksheet. nbs wrote: > > I have a sheet that runs automatic external web and > database queries...I need to protect the sheet from user > changes but w...

Change Text color using CListCtrl
Hello, Does anyone know how to change the color of text for a single row only in the mult-column ist box using CListCtrl. Thank You "Ririko Horvath" wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know how to change the color of text for a single row only > in the mult-column ist box using CListCtrl. > > Thank You > > > Hi, http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/ReportControl.asp Regards, Selvam ...

Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007 #2
Hi guys, I have been asked to prepare a spreadsheet that uses conditional formatting on another cell. What it needs to do is that is a cell contains a particular value i.e. between 2 and 6 the adjacent cell will turn say blue, but the issue is that there is up to 6 different rules that could be applied to that one cell. All of these rules then need to work for the subsequent entries. If anyone could help me with this issue I would be very grateful. Many Thanks Didi On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 03:10:07 -0700 (PDT), didi <diane.bush@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >Hi guys, > >I have been a...

Protecting hidden columns so they can't be unhidden ?
Hi, Is there a way to hide columns so that no one else can unhide them ? Need to send a file with data in 2 hidden columns that I don't want to be unhidden and I don't want to have to delete them. Thanks ! Gary, easiest way is to hide the columns then protect the worksheet (Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet). If there are cells that the recipients will use for data entry, unlock them (Format > Cells > Protection > Locked) first. You can also remove the row and column headers (Tools > Options > View > Row & column headers) so it won't be immediate...

Charts change the place
Hi I have some files created in Excel 2003 but when I open them in Excel 2007 many of the charts change thier place. Once I set the place and save the file and again when I open the file I face the same situation. Is there a solution of this? Avi ...

Change mouse to hyperlink
Hi, How to get the mouse to turn to an hand pointing signal on the form, like a hyperlink on website? So when we click (on click property) on that word, access can give us a different form. So difficult to me to explain, but I hope anyone can understand what I mean. Thank you. KF -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 ...