Problems creating a line chart or scatter graph

Hi,

I have the following data,

Newspaper - FT, Mirror, Sun
Sector - Gambling, Healthcare, Retail
Date range by month - Jan, Feb, March etc.

I would like to show how many articles were written by each newspaper in
each sector on a timeline but have no idea how to order my data in otder for
this to happen.  Anyone able to advise?
--
Nat
0

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Natty <natwykes@hotmail.com> said:

>I have the following data,
>
>Newspaper - FT, Mirror, Sun
>Sector - Gambling, Healthcare, Retail
>Date range by month - Jan, Feb, March etc.
>
>I would like to show how many articles were written by each newspaper in
>each sector on a timeline but have no idea how to order my data in otder for
>this to happen.  Anyone able to advise?

You're setting the chart quite a difficult task, to show time and
quantity in two orthogonal sets of category, which is four degrees of
freedom no a two-dimensional page.

There are many ways to skin this cat; Try "Excel panel-chart" or "Excel
small-multiple" in a search engine. Or for a simpler solution, format
your data like this:

                  Gambling  Health  Retail
        FT        999       999     999
   Jan  Mirror    999       999     999
        Sun       999       999     999

        FT        999       999     999
   Feb  Mirror    999       999     999
        Sun       999       999     999

        FT        999       999     999
   Mar  Mirror    999       999     999
        Sun       999       999     999

or like this:

                  FT        Mirror  Sun
        Gambling  999       999     999
   Jan  Health    999       999     999
        Retail    999       999     999

        Gambling  999       999     999
   Feb  Health    999       999     999
        Retail    999       999     999

        Gambling  999       999     999
   Mar  Health    999       999     999
        Retail    999       999     999

and make a stacked bar chart. (be sure to make the fonts small and the
graph big to give the labels room to display).

Stacked bars are sometimes frowned on by more sophisticated makers of
graphs, but it'll get you a graphical result quickly, and you can decide
if you want something cleverer then.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)