Problem with xy scatter with dates

I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y
values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click
on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a count
of the data points as in a line chart.
If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart, but
not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How can I
get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?
0
Janet1 (35)

You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2, click
on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.

Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell above
the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data range,
and start the wizard.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
> values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
> click
> on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
> lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
> count
> of the data points as in a line chart.
> If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart,
> but
> not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How can I
> get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/10/2008 4:16:03 PM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
janet <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y
>values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click
>on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
>lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a count
>of the data points as in a line chart.

It's not a line chart, as you can see by going to the x axis Format
Scale dialogue. You'll see the scale is an interval scale instead of the
characteristic Line Chart category scale.

What you've done is labelled both columns, so the wizard thinks you're
inserting two y series and no x. Move the left column heading
temporarily out of that cell and run the wizard again with the cell
blank. The wizard will properly pick up the x scale series then, and you
can move the column header back.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> janet <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
>>values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
>>click
>>on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
>>lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
>>count
>>of the data points as in a line chart.
>
> It's not a line chart, as you can see by going to the x axis Format Scale
> dialogue. You'll see the scale is an interval scale instead of the
> characteristic Line Chart category scale.
>
> What you've done is labelled both columns, so the wizard thinks you're
> inserting two y series and no x. Move the left column heading temporarily
> out of that cell and run the wizard again with the cell blank. The wizard
> will properly pick up the x scale series then, and you can move the column
> header back.

Normally when you create an XY chart, Excel uses the first column as X
values, regardless of the presence or absence of any labels. This is in
contrast to the behavior when creating a Line chart. I think the date
formatting of the data interferes with Excel's range parsing algorithms, so
the XY chart in this one case behaves like a line chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/10/2008 5:12:55 PM
I am in Excel 2007, and I don't see a series tab.  I tried using the Select
Data window but excel insists on creating a line graph when I change the data
to the 2 columns of date values.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2, click
> on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.
>
> Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell above
> the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data range,
> and start the wizard.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
> > values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
> > click
> > on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
> > lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
> > count
> > of the data points as in a line chart.
> > If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart,
> > but
> > not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How can I
> > get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?

0
Janet1 (35)
9/10/2008 5:16:07 PM
I hate 2007. You should be able to click the Edit button under Horizontal
Category X Axis Labels to select the range you want, but I guess they didn't
think you'd want to change from generic numbers (1, 2, 3,...) to real data.
So the button is disabled.

So follow the other approach, which Del also mentioned, and put a label
above the column of Y values and remove any label from above the column of X
values, then make the chart.

Well, there's a third way. After making the chart with just Y values, the
series formula looks like this:

=SERIES(,,Sheet1!$C$4:$C$26,1)

Click in the formula so the cursor is blinking between the first and second
commas, then select the range with the X values.

- Jon
-------

>I am in Excel 2007, and I don't see a series tab.  I tried using the Select
> Data window but excel insists on creating a line graph when I change the
> data
> to the 2 columns of date values.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2,
>> click
>> on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.
>>
>> Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell above
>> the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data
>> range,
>> and start the wizard.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and
>> >the
>> > values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
>> > click
>> > on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with
>> > 2
>> > lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
>> > count
>> > of the data points as in a line chart.
>> > If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter
>> > chart,
>> > but
>> > not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How
>> > can I
>> > get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/10/2008 5:38:45 PM
Eliminating the column title on the X-values did the trick.  Thank you so
much.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> > janet <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
> >>values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
> >>click
> >>on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
> >>lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
> >>count
> >>of the data points as in a line chart.
> >
> > It's not a line chart, as you can see by going to the x axis Format Scale
> > dialogue. You'll see the scale is an interval scale instead of the
> > characteristic Line Chart category scale.
> >
> > What you've done is labelled both columns, so the wizard thinks you're
> > inserting two y series and no x. Move the left column heading temporarily
> > out of that cell and run the wizard again with the cell blank. The wizard
> > will properly pick up the x scale series then, and you can move the column
> > header back.
>
> Normally when you create an XY chart, Excel uses the first column as X
> values, regardless of the presence or absence of any labels. This is in
> contrast to the behavior when creating a Line chart. I think the date
> formatting of the data interferes with Excel's range parsing algorithms, so
> the XY chart in this one case behaves like a line chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______

0
Janet1 (35)
9/10/2008 5:41:01 PM
My bad. Well, not just mine, the dialog design led me to this incorrect
conclusion.

XY charts don't have "category labels", so that half of the dialog is to be
ignored for an XY chart. In 2003, the category labels input box was hidden
for XY charts, but that interface was nicely designed.

So. In the Select Data dialog, select the series, then click the Edit button
above the series list. On the child dialog that appears, you can enter the X
value range.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>I hate 2007. You should be able to click the Edit button under Horizontal
>Category X Axis Labels to select the range you want, but I guess they
>didn't think you'd want to change from generic numbers (1, 2, 3,...) to
>real data. So the button is disabled.
>
> So follow the other approach, which Del also mentioned, and put a label
> above the column of Y values and remove any label from above the column of
> X values, then make the chart.
>
> Well, there's a third way. After making the chart with just Y values, the
> series formula looks like this:
>
> =SERIES(,,Sheet1!$C$4:$C$26,1)
>
> Click in the formula so the cursor is blinking between the first and
> second commas, then select the range with the X values.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am in Excel 2007, and I don't see a series tab.  I tried using the
>>Select
>> Data window but excel insists on creating a line graph when I change the
>> data
>> to the 2 columns of date values.
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>>> You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2,
>>> click
>>> on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.
>>>
>>> Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell
>>> above
>>> the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data
>>> range,
>>> and start the wizard.
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>>> _______
>>>

>>> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

parsing a date and time field #2

Tracking Dates For Future Occurrences
Can this be done? I want to track a yearly review. I would like the date, once entered - say 6/1/2009, to conditionally format to change yellow 30 days before, then red 15 days before, and then to stay red until the date is updated again for say 6/1/2010. Can this be done? I am new to all this, thanks.. In 2007 Also.. "Knee2no" wrote: > Can this be done? I want to track a yearly review. I would like the date, > once entered - say 6/1/2009, to conditionally format to change yellow 30 days > before, then red 15 days before, and then to stay red until the date is...

An Outlook 2003 Problem

Sumproduct with multiple date criteria
Having a tough time with this one. Sheet 1 Column A = Start Date, Column B = End Date, Column C = Quantity. Sheet 2 Row A = Start Date, Row B = End Date. I would like Row C to sum quantity from sheet 1 where ever the two date ranges intersect. The date ranges on sheet 2 represent the beginning and ending of a week (Mon-Sun). Sheet 1 Column A Column B Column C 01JAN2010 24JAN2010 1,000 Sheet 2 Row A 04JAN2010 11JAN2010 18JAN2010 25JAN2010 Row B 10JAN2010 17JAN2010 24JAN2010 31JAN2010 Row c 1,000 1,000 1,000 0 Do the Sheet 2 Star...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Duplicate personal folders problem
Hello all, I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and I hope someone can help me resolve it I imported a PST file from Outlook XP that was on a different machine, and now I have two versions of Personal Folders in my All Mail Folders list. They both have Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Outbox, Sent Items and Search Folders in. One of them has an icon of a piece of paper with a clock to the top left and a house to the top right. The other one has an icon like a stack of files (like from a filing cabinet) They are clearly referencing the same thing, as the Deleted Items both have al...

Converting date from an external source
I am having an issued with converting a date from external data source. the data has the timestamp in the general date form mm/dd/yyyy 00:00:00. I want to convert the date to mm/dd/yyyy format so when i run a query for a single day it will return the data for that date, I can currently return the data but i have to set the parameter in the mm/dd/yyyy 00:00:00 format, i want to simply return the data by setting the parameter in the mm/dd/yyyy format Don't confuse how data is stored with how it is presented. As long as you import the date into a field defined as a Date data type, you...

Excel Problem #3
I have win2000 with Office 2000 in the network! When i try to rename one excel file my computer make restart. This hapening not to all files,and all files there are in the same folder in the network! What hapen,and what i can do so as to work out the problem? I have all the required permissions on that network folder. No one else has any of the files open. They are not shared workbooks. ...

Interesting Solver problem (Solver encounters an error)
Here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts o this. Recognize that my real problem is very complex (severa intermediate calculation including some iterative steps), but th problem I'm having seems similar (conceptually anyway) to this simpl problem. Given a data set: x,y 10,3.9 8,3.2 7,2.8 6,2.2 5,1.4 4.5,0.8 4,0.01 3.8,-0.4 3.6,-1 3.5,-1.4 3.4,-1.8 3.3,-2.4 3.2,-3.2 3.1,-4.6 3.05,-6 One could look at the data and say, "that looks like the curve y=ln(x) but with a different asymptote other than the y-axis and possibly scaling factor." So we choos...

Problems with MFC list controls
I have a large list control with many inventory control items displayed within. When someone single clicks on an item, it displays information about that item in another part of the dialog. I have a three-fold problem, the master list has multiple columns in it, in order to make the selection work properly, only column 0 can be selected, is there a way to make a valid row selection if you select an item using any of the other columns? Second issue is the highlight of the selection. Only column 0 in the list control will highlight, is there a way to make the entire row highlight when an...

Next button problems
I have a next button in a form that I have criteria for. I have a date field that has to be entered before going to another record. When I click the next button I get the pop up that says click update to continue but the form displays the next record instead of staying on the current record that needs updating. Here is the code that I am using. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Private Sub Command39_Click() If IsNull([Post Called Customer]) Then MsgBox "You must click the UPDATE button to continue!!!" Cancel = True End If On Erro...

Problem with message routing between EXCH2K and EX2K3
We are running a ver simply Exchange topology, with an Exchange 2000 single server (ServerA) acting as "dumb" Information Store. Incoming and outbound SMTP email is relayed through a Linux based SMTP host relay on the same subnet, which handles all domain lookups for mail routing. ServerA is configured to use to the Linux SMTP server as it's smart host. The domain is a native Windows 2003 AD topology. My problem is the following: I have recently added a new Exchange 2003 Server (ServerB) into our Exchange site topology. If I create a user (UserA) on ServerA and then do a...

Problem inserting cut range
I'm trying to cut a range then insert the cut range at a particular location. The code looks like this: Range("F5:G" & ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Cut Range("D5").Insert(xlShiftToRight) However, when it reaches this point, I get an error saying "Cut method of Range class failed". I've tried changing the destination range so that it reads similar to the origin range, but that didn't help. Can someone help me get the syntax on this line correct? I've got several similar lines further down in the code. If I can fix thi...

Visio Printing Problem
I am trying to print a flowchart. The print view displays the complet flowchart. However, when I print the flowchart, the top half of th flowchart is omitted and the bottom half prints. Any problem solvin recommendations would be appreciated -- jqsandma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jqsandman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=661 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=136719 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i this usually ends up as being "apply available software patches to visio" or &quo...

Attachment problems
Hi, Is there anyway to unlock outlook 2002's block on ".exe" files. I know these are Level1 blocks, but can't find a way to configure it. I have recieved an important program and need to run it. Thanks in advance Scott Try here: Opening .exe Attachments with the Outlook E-mail Security Update and Outlook 2002 http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Scott White" <ddltrade@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OmVN4JVnDHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... Hi, Is there anyway to unlock outlook 2002's block on...

Macro help with saving a spreadsheet with date and time in it
Can someone help me with some code that would save a file name as "schedule-mm-dd-yyyy-hh:mm"? Thanks, Alan Alan, how about something like this Sub Save_As() ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="Schedule " & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy-hh-mm") & ".xls", FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False _ , CreateBackup:=False End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Fee...

A Strange Printing Problem
Our accounting department maintains an Excel file, updated in an onging process, converted to a PDF at month close, and distributed to our senior management. There are nine worksheets, seven behave normally, but two worksheets default to printing 2 copies. No macros, viruses, etc. Any suggestions on a fix will be appreciated. Paul I would try a different PDF converter. There are a # of free ones out there. It would be a simple and quick test to see if that was the problem. "PA" wrote: > Our accounting department maintains an Excel file, updated in an onging > process,...

Ipaq
A user where I work has had problems with his Ipaq serial connection 'going to sleep' over the last couple of weeks. Here are some further details: It's an Ipaq 3890 using ActiveSync 3.7 on a Windows NT4 workstation running Office 97. He synchronises mail of approx 1.5g , which includes Office attachments. The PDA has been working fine for over a year on ActiveSync 3.5, and there has been no software upgrades or changes on the users PC. There are no error reports in any way, and nothing is shown in the event viewer. I have already tried the following: Reinstalled ActiveSync 3.5 R...

Date/Time Show When Changes Made
Hi, When changes are made in a table or form, I want the date and time to appear showing me when changes were made in any of the fields. How can it work? MTIA. It's not possible if you're working directly with tables. Using foms, you have to put code into the form's BeforeUpdate event to update the row's LastChanged field (which, of course, you have to add to the table yourself) You might find what Allen Browne has at http://www.allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html to be useful. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Beame...

MFC #define Problem
We've been using Visual C++ for at least two versions (VC++ 6.0, VC++ 7.0 .NET), but now we've upgraded to .NET 7.1.3088 and found that a macro define in shlobj.h includes the symbol NUM_POINTS. This generic name conflicts with a const declaration within the scope of a source file. Has anybody encountered this error? ...

Clusted stacked column chart
I'm posting this (after banging my head against a brick wall for several hours) in case anyone else should run into the following, and I would be very interested to know if anyone knows of potential reasons for the problem. I made use of Jon Peltier's technique for creating a clustered-stacked column chart (http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked- column-charts/). This worked fine the first time I used it. However, thereafter at the step: "The month names are not centered correctly under the clustered columns. Format the scale of the secondary category axis (B throug...