Problem with xy scatter with dates

I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y
values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click
on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a count
of the data points as in a line chart.
If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart, but
not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How can I
get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?
0
Janet1 (35)

You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2, click
on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.

Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell above
the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data range,
and start the wizard.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
> values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
> click
> on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
> lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
> count
> of the data points as in a line chart.
> If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart,
> but
> not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How can I
> get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/10/2008 4:16:03 PM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
janet <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y
>values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click
>on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
>lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a count
>of the data points as in a line chart.

It's not a line chart, as you can see by going to the x axis Format
Scale dialogue. You'll see the scale is an interval scale instead of the
characteristic Line Chart category scale.

What you've done is labelled both columns, so the wizard thinks you're
inserting two y series and no x. Move the left column heading
temporarily out of that cell and run the wizard again with the cell
blank. The wizard will properly pick up the x scale series then, and you
can move the column header back.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> janet <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
>>values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
>>click
>>on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
>>lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
>>count
>>of the data points as in a line chart.
>
> It's not a line chart, as you can see by going to the x axis Format Scale
> dialogue. You'll see the scale is an interval scale instead of the
> characteristic Line Chart category scale.
>
> What you've done is labelled both columns, so the wizard thinks you're
> inserting two y series and no x. Move the left column heading temporarily
> out of that cell and run the wizard again with the cell blank. The wizard
> will properly pick up the x scale series then, and you can move the column
> header back.

Normally when you create an XY chart, Excel uses the first column as X
values, regardless of the presence or absence of any labels. This is in
contrast to the behavior when creating a Line chart. I think the date
formatting of the data interferes with Excel's range parsing algorithms, so
the XY chart in this one case behaves like a line chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/10/2008 5:12:55 PM
I am in Excel 2007, and I don't see a series tab.  I tried using the Select
Data window but excel insists on creating a line graph when I change the data
to the 2 columns of date values.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2, click
> on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.
>
> Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell above
> the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data range,
> and start the wizard.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
> > values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
> > click
> > on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
> > lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
> > count
> > of the data points as in a line chart.
> > If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart,
> > but
> > not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How can I
> > get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?

0
Janet1 (35)
9/10/2008 5:16:07 PM
I hate 2007. You should be able to click the Edit button under Horizontal
Category X Axis Labels to select the range you want, but I guess they didn't
think you'd want to change from generic numbers (1, 2, 3,...) to real data.
So the button is disabled.

So follow the other approach, which Del also mentioned, and put a label
above the column of Y values and remove any label from above the column of X
values, then make the chart.

Well, there's a third way. After making the chart with just Y values, the
series formula looks like this:

=SERIES(,,Sheet1!$C$4:$C$26,1)

Click in the formula so the cursor is blinking between the first and second
commas, then select the range with the X values.

- Jon
-------

>I am in Excel 2007, and I don't see a series tab.  I tried using the Select
> Data window but excel insists on creating a line graph when I change the
> data
> to the 2 columns of date values.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2,
>> click
>> on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.
>>
>> Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell above
>> the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data
>> range,
>> and start the wizard.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and
>> >the
>> > values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
>> > click
>> > on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with
>> > 2
>> > lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
>> > count
>> > of the data points as in a line chart.
>> > If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter
>> > chart,
>> > but
>> > not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart.  How
>> > can I
>> > get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/10/2008 5:38:45 PM
Eliminating the column title on the X-values did the trick.  Thank you so
much.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> > janet <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >>I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the
> >>values are dates.  I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and
> >>click
> >>on Insert>Scatter.  Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2
> >>lines (the two data columns).  The x values on the graph are simply a
> >>count
> >>of the data points as in a line chart.
> >
> > It's not a line chart, as you can see by going to the x axis Format Scale
> > dialogue. You'll see the scale is an interval scale instead of the
> > characteristic Line Chart category scale.
> >
> > What you've done is labelled both columns, so the wizard thinks you're
> > inserting two y series and no x. Move the left column heading temporarily
> > out of that cell and run the wizard again with the cell blank. The wizard
> > will properly pick up the x scale series then, and you can move the column
> > header back.
>
> Normally when you create an XY chart, Excel uses the first column as X
> values, regardless of the presence or absence of any labels. This is in
> contrast to the behavior when creating a Line chart. I think the date
> formatting of the data interferes with Excel's range parsing algorithms, so
> the XY chart in this one case behaves like a line chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______

0
Janet1 (35)
9/10/2008 5:41:01 PM
My bad. Well, not just mine, the dialog design led me to this incorrect
conclusion.

XY charts don't have "category labels", so that half of the dialog is to be
ignored for an XY chart. In 2003, the category labels input box was hidden
for XY charts, but that interface was nicely designed.

So. In the Select Data dialog, select the series, then click the Edit button
above the series list. On the child dialog that appears, you can enter the X
value range.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>I hate 2007. You should be able to click the Edit button under Horizontal
>Category X Axis Labels to select the range you want, but I guess they
>didn't think you'd want to change from generic numbers (1, 2, 3,...) to
>real data. So the button is disabled.
>
> So follow the other approach, which Del also mentioned, and put a label
> above the column of Y values and remove any label from above the column of
> X values, then make the chart.
>
> Well, there's a third way. After making the chart with just Y values, the
> series formula looks like this:
>
> =SERIES(,,Sheet1!$C$4:$C$26,1)
>
> Click in the formula so the cursor is blinking between the first and
> second commas, then select the range with the X values.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am in Excel 2007, and I don't see a series tab.  I tried using the
>>Select
>> Data window but excel insists on creating a line graph when I change the
>> data
>> to the 2 columns of date values.
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>>> You could select just the Y values, start the wizard, and in step 2,
>>> click
>>> on the Series tab, then select the X value dates.
>>>
>>> Or you could put a label over the Y value dates, and leave the cell
>>> above
>>> the X values blank, select the row with one label as part of the data
>>> range,
>>> and start the wizard.
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>>> _______
>>>

>>> "janet" <janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Simple Date/Time Macro
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9/16/2009" Range("B1").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9:25 AM" Range("C1").Select End Sub I want to set up a simple workbook that enters the above information on the current line in the sheet. When I recorded the keystrokes I wanted, I ended up with the following macro, which only works once. Starting with the second line, running the macro puts the date in the right place, skips Column B and then leaves the cursor in R1C1. How do I get this macro to enter all the information on the current line (date in c...

PDF File conversion problems w/ transparency filled boxes in Publi
Periodically, I like to use text boxes positioned over a photo in which I insert photo caption information. I would like to make the fill in the text box TRANSPARENT rather than solid. When I do this, it looks just fine in the Publisher file, but when I convert it to a PDF file (with Adobe Acrobat), I lose the transparency--it comes out as a box with grid/plaid-like shading in it. The same thing happens with the shading that is inherent in Word Art--when converted to PDF, the shading is comprised of GRID lines rather than an even transparent shadow. Is there a problem between coding in...

CSV file problem
Hi, Using Excel 2000 and I need to edit a CSV file. My problem is that the original file has quotes around each element but when I save the csv file from Excel it strips them off. I need the quotes left in. Any suggestion how to get Excel to leave the quotes in? Thanks in advance, Linn See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#csvwithquotes In article <eU8yb0X4EHA.664@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Linn Kubler" <lkubler@charter2.net> wrote: > Hi, > > Using Excel 2000 and I need to edit a CSV file. My problem is that the > original file has ...

Adding a Date data-type field with a Make-Table query
I am using a make-table query to make a table. Some of the fields are being populated with this query, however I need to add several more fields with null values so that they can be updated by subsequent update queries. The default field-type that is created if I just put in a field name is Text. How can I create a Date field-type field from a make-table query which has a null value? Well, you can create a DateTime field by using something like: DateField: CDate(0) But the field won't be empty, it will contain 0, or, stated as a date value, Dec 30, 1899 12:00 am. I don't kn...

How to convert two dates in to HH:MM:SS
Hi, I am trying to calculates the two dates cells diffrence int hour:minutes:seconds. could some help me in finding a solution i Excel sheet. eg. Cell A1 = Jan-01-2004 00:00 Cell B1 = Jan-02-2004 23:30 Cell C1 = 47:30 looking for a result like 47 hours 3 min. thanks sa -- sashaik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sashaikh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27117 One way: C1: =B1-A1 Format C1 with Format/Cells/...

Strange problem with verdana font
Hi Since some of our users have MS Office 2007 we have a huge problem with Verdana font. When a user gets or writes a new document message with verdana font, characters are shown like boxes or squares. This also happens when users receive mail into Outlook 2007 that is written in Verdana. All other fonts look ok, the only problem is with Verdana. So the only way to view a document is to select all text and change font to anyting else as Verdana, but it's very annoying. This happens on all computers running MS Office 2007 or just MS Outlook 2007, also with new machines (clean insta...

Problem importing Contact OE6 to Outlook 2003
I suspect this problem has been posed many times, but I'm a brand new user of Outlook, forced by the impending end of OE6 in the Windowws 7 environment. I'm attemptina a two step process: A. Moving my emails and addresses from OE6 to Outlook 2003 on my current WindowsXP computer. B. Moving the relevant information to Outlook 2003 on my new Windows 7 computer. Right now I'm in step A. On the WinXP computer, I switched my default email program from OE6 to Outlook 2003. I successfully imported the mail messages and folders. But when I go through the procedures (see...

Count between dates
in Column A I have dates. Column D also has Dates. Column A are Dates entered Column D are Mitigated Dates What I am trying to do is count the Dates between 01/01/09 anf 31/01/09 in Column D but only if The Dates in Column A are within the same Parameters Dates Entered Mitigated Date 01/01/09 13/03/09 01/02/09 23/01/09 25/01/09 15/01/09 14/01/09 13/03/09 Answer = 1 Thank you for your assistance =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200>=--"2009-01-01"),--(A2:A200<"2009-0...

Custoemr Promise Date
From the Sales Item Detail Entry window, Ctrl+1 will open the Manufacturing Series Sales Item Detail window. Would anyone know the SQL table that stores the values in this 2nd table? I am most interested in the Customer Promise Date. Thank you, M. SOP10200 -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Maria" wrote: > From the Sales Item Detail Entry window, > Ctrl+1 will open the Manufacturing Series Sales Item Detail window. > ...

Problem: textbox default value = Date()
I want an unbound textbox on my form to default to current date. In the default value property of the textbox, I put "=Date()". Instead of today's date, it defaults to the text "date". What am I doing wrong? (I see if I bind the textbox to "=Date()", the value, of course, is today's date, but I only want the default to be today's date, which can be changed as needed.) TIA Are you actually entering "=Date()" or are you entering =Date() without the double quotes? If the latter, it should give you the date! -- There's AL...

Auto Date
Hey guys! Is there any I can type in a serial number in column A and have today's date go into column B? Thanks!! Mike Lot's of ways with formulas, macros or worksheet_change events. Do you want for ONE cell or many? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Mike" <mike@work.com> wrote in message news:ep8tOR4PEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hey guys! Is there any I can type in a serial number in column A and have > today's date go into column B? Thanks!! > > Mike > > Hi see: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html -- Reg...

Problem Sending Attachments
When sending attachments via IMAP the recipient is confronted with a renamed file named winmail.dat that is unopenable due to the "dat" extension. Anyone know why this is and how to stop it? In other words how to acheive WISIWTG (what I sent is what they get). Normally WinMail.DAT attachments are the result of sending mail in Rich Text Format. Is that the format you're using? "Blogman" <@> wrote in message news:eoa4YE7wFHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When sending attachments via IMAP the recipient is confronted with a > renamed file named winmai...

Peculiar problem facing in web application due to microsoft excel
We have devoloped a very huge web application for General Motors. Th problem we are facing here, whenever we tried to copy either the labe or value from the screen (struts with jsp) and paste it in microsof excel, then try to access the application, the session is gettin expired. This happens only when we copy and paste the content in microsoft exce and not in any other editor like notepad etc. The following are true - you have a webapplication with a user session. - if you select and copy text in your browser, everything is okay - if you paste it into notepad, you can continue surfing - if...

EXcel problems
Hi, We have a ERP program in my bussiness.We generate with reptoexcel application reports to excel. But,if we probe these option with Administrator user,th program works ok. But,if we probe with another user,the program break. The probe is done under w2k server by terminal server,with excel 2003. Thanks to all for help ;) ...

.pst problem
I have a user's computer that I changed from one domain to the other. copied the users profile and everything works fine. However, when I tried importing her .pst file from a her old .pst location, it changed the size of the .pst from 15mb to 265kb. Basically resetting the file. I have tried everything. I really need to be able to access the mail box and contact information. thanks Copy it again and connect to it by File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD...

windows fax service smtp problems
Hello, We changed email providers and now our windows fax service on server 2003 no longer emails us our faxes. Is there a email provider that anyone know of that does not require smtp authentication. I require no smtp authentication since that is what godaddy said after i sent them the bounced email. That is why their server rejected it. In article <#dojYSl3KHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, donald7.44@gmail.com says... > > Hello, We changed email providers and now our windows fax service on > server 2003 no longer emails us our faxes. Is there a email provider ...

Date entry Setting
Just upgraded to Money 2004 and the setting for date entry on a transaction form no longer lets me just type a new date in. You now have to first delete the date and then type the new date. Anyone else have this happen and if so do they have a recommendation. Thanks David ...

Tracking Open Orders for unpicked up merchandise problem.
I have a situation where I’m setting up Store Operations for a customer in which have 3 different scenarios that needs to be resolved for merchandise tracking. Scenario one is for customers who purchase a product and are picking up the product at the same time it is being sold. This is not a problem because the receipt shows how many products where picked up at the time of sale (Picked Up :) .. Scenario two is for customers who purchase a product but have not picked up the product because it’s on back order. This is also ok because the receipt shows how many of the products the custo...

problem installing accelerators on ie 8 windows xp
i try to add-on accelerators on ie 8--but when i hit the buttons, NOTHING seems to happen when i right click my mouse--i only have the accelerators that wer previously there--- please forgive me if this is a 'stupid' question, but i am new to this-- thank you -- Dr-ArthurRD "DrArthurRD" <DrArthurRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D72F69A1-6386-46E1-8B7A-95DAEE4AA15D@microsoft.com... >i try to add-on accelerators on ie 8--but when i hit the buttons, NOTHING > seems to happen when i right click my mouse--i only have the accelerators ...

Excel Line or Scatter Chart
I have created a line chart with markers. The markers show, but the lines do not. So I tried doing the chart as a Scatter chart with markers and lines, and the lines still don't show. What am I doing wrong? Help!! Millie - Either a Line chart type or an XY (Scatter) chart type can be formatted to show any combbination of lines and markers. Click a data point to select the data series. Choose Format Selected Data Series, and click the Patterns tab. Choose the settings you desire. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com "Millie" <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Query for earliest due date
I have table A with promises of payment, Amtpayable , Duedate and CustID. I have table B with actual payment details, AmtPaid, PaidDate, Cust ID.Now i am creating a query to show the total AmtPayable as on date, amount paid, and LastdueDate. Now i have no problem getting the payable and paid columns. Problem is i get only the Lastduedate till date but i need earliest unpaid due date.for eg, due for jan 1 is 1000, for feb 1 is 1000, mar 1 is 1000, etc. if only 1000 has been paid so far, the query as on date should show Payable 3000, Paid 1000, Due date Feb1. But i get duedate as Mar 1.Any h...

password problem #2
hi... earlier tonight i was using outlook express 6 to check my mail.. when i went to write mail and send one my user name and password came up on the screen. i have been using this for months and never had a problem.. the username and password came up and i pressed ok.. and it keeps popping up.. but it is only for outgoing mail..now i think i did something to the password... how can i change it or whatever? thanks Rich nevermind i fixed it...... >-----Original Message----- >hi... earlier tonight i was using outlook express 6 to >check my mail.. when i went to write mail an...

Problem printing reports via RMS Manager
Hi. Sometimes (not always) when I try to print reports from RMS the first page comes out blank. Any reason why that is? I don't have an answer for you, but I had the same issue first with a Canon and then with an HP printer I used to have. I now have a Lexmark and it no longer happens. So I was thinking it might have something to do with HP's and Canon's printer drivers. It definitly leads me to believe it's a printer issue, not with RMS. Craig "Arthur" <Arthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60C50F52-BB02-4B5D-AF8C-E170989CD037@micros...

look up portfolio holdings at a previous date
Hi, I am wonderinf if there is a way to look at the holdings of a portfolio for a previous date. For instance, say I want to look at my holdings as of March 12, 2003. Is that possible? Regards, Abhinav In microsoft.public.money, ab wrote: > >I am wonderinf if there is a way to look at the holdings of a portfolio >for a previous date. For instance, say I want to look at my holdings as >of March 12, 2003. Is that possible? Yes. Go to the Portfolio view and enter the date into the AsOf drop-down box. No AsOf drop-down box? Then you have an older version of Money. ...

Help
Is there any easy way to fix the WinXP registry, so that the check mark on Taskbar "Show Quick launch" does not vanish automatically? Both my Laptop and PC are behaving that way. It is quite frustrating. Any easy way to fix this? Appreciate help. ...