Problem with Pie and Doughnut Charts

Hi,

I have a couple of doubts in charts:

1) I have a graph where the Column and line charts are plotted on the
same axis. I have got that correctly as well. Now, the problem is I
want to display selective "Data Labels" on the *line graph*. How do I
accomplish this task? (Actually the values for my line graph are same,
hence its just a stright line. And I donot want the same value to be
displayed again and again. I need just one data label on the beginning
of the line)

2) Problem with Doughnut Chart: I have my "Category labels" on multiple
rows (each value is typed in 3 rows). As a result, the graph wizard
takes that as 3 different values. I tried merging the cells but in that
case I lose the contents of cell when they are merged as the value from
the first merged cell is taken. Is there a way out of this?

3) Pie Chart: I have a pie chart representing the "Points" scored by
different players. (i.e. on the excel sheet I have 2 columns: one for
player name and the other for Points). The players are from different
countries. Now, here is the problem: Instead of the legends showing the
player name I want the legends to show the Country Name to which these
players belong to. E.g. I have 8 records in total: 3 players are from
Australia, 4 are from US and 1 from India. Now in the legends I want
these 3 country names.

Pleaseeee do reply

--
pmtw
pmtw's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33137

> 1) I have a graph where the Column and line charts are plotted on the
> same axis. I have got that correctly as well. Now, the problem is I
> want to display selective "Data Labels" on the *line graph*. How do I
> accomplish this task? (Actually the values for my line graph are same,
> hence its just a stright line. And I donot want the same value to be
> displayed again and again. I need just one data label on the beginning
> of the line)

Select the line series, then the point you want to annotate, then double
click on the selected point, and use the Data Labels tab of the dialog to
add a label.

> 2) Problem with Doughnut Chart: I have my "Category labels" on multiple
> rows (each value is typed in 3 rows). As a result, the graph wizard
> takes that as 3 different values. I tried merging the cells but in that
> case I lose the contents of cell when they are merged as the value from
> the first merged cell is taken. Is there a way out of this?

Best practice is to use one cell per item. If the existing range is done a
certain way for the visual requirements of a table intended to be viewed,
then put the data to be plotted into another range that is better arranged
for the chart source data, then make the chart using this new range. You can
use paste link so the chart data updates when the table updates.

In fact, best best practice is to keep original data in one place, with
linked data that's formatted for a table and another that's formatted for a
chart. But this is only if you don't want formatting changes and data
rearrangement in one range to mess up the other ranges.

> 3) Pie Chart: I have a pie chart representing the "Points" scored by
> different players. (i.e. on the excel sheet I have 2 columns: one for
> player name and the other for Points). The players are from different
> countries. Now, here is the problem: Instead of the legends showing the
> player name I want the legends to show the Country Name to which these
> players belong to. E.g. I have 8 records in total: 3 players are from
> Australia, 4 are from US and 1 from India. Now in the legends I want
> these 3 country names.

Chart menu > Source Data > Series tab: change the range in the Category
Labels box.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Text cutt off when edditing in Gantt Chart
hi guys, Visio Standard 2002 I'm double clicking a text box in Gantt chart and it cuts off some of the text, I press ESC to exit the box but text remains edited (or half missing), it can be restored only by undoing the action. I tried to find settings which would cause limitation in character numbers in a text box but nothing comes up. please help, my chart becomes useless as I can not edit. Thank you lots!!! On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:40:00 -0800, ingulita <ingulita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hi guys, >Visio Standard 2002 > >I'm double clicking a text ...

Creating a Function Problem
I am trying to create a function in MS Access (Module) that assigns a Grade for a particular Credit Bureau Score but the functions I created returns the same value for all scores. Must be doing something wrong. I'm new at this so any help would be appreciated. Here are two Functions I created, both returning the same value: 1st Function Option Compare Database Function Grade2() As Integer If score >= 720 Then Grade2 = 1 ElseIf score >= 680 And score < 720 Then Grade2 = 2 ElseIf score >= 650 And score < 680 Then Grade2 = 3 ElseIf...

Help
WinXP-Pro/SP3. I use two monitors. Everything was working fine, until I recycled the machine on/off. Now, only one, the primary monitor, outputs video. When the machine is booted I see the post message on both monitors. When it starts to go into Windows, I see the Windows startup screens on both monitors. But...when I finally enter Windows, I get no further video from the secondary monitor. I have checked all video settings, and everything appears proper. Help! TIA, Herb <HerbF@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:j5s7m5lfl8hal4vmkdp8v1k3g8p55m9nvm@4ax.com... > ...

COleControlSite shutdown problem
Hi! we have the following situation: an old MFC-app (built with VC++6.0) loads a regular MFC Dll (built with VC++.NET), which loads several MFC extension Dlls (built with VC++.NET). one of the extension Dlls creates a frame-window, another one uses a CHtmlView within a docking pane. we dont use the document/view architecture. we dont have sources for the old MFC-app, just an Dll-interface. when I shutdown the app, it takes more than 1 minute till the CHtmlView object gets destroyed. during this time our app is frozen. I figured out, that it is the call m_pObject->SetClientSite(NULL) withi...

Alternate recipient problem #3
I have setup a local email account on our Exchange 5.5 (w/SP4) server to send a copy of emails to an alternate recipient. The alternate recipient is the user's personal email address outside of our domain. We can send mail directly to this user's personal address from our domain. The user is also able to receive mail to his Exchange server address from outside of our domain. However, mails sent from outside of our domain to his Exchange address are not being forwarded to his personal email address. The server is forwarding other user's mail to their personal accounts, ...

Small problem or big problem? No workbook at startup
I have been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to write an Excel macro. At times it seemed the memory had been corrupted, or at least that Excel was behaving oddly. I shut the computer down, let the hard drive come to a complete stop, and booted back up. Upon entering excel, there is no workbook present. If I select File|New, I get the familiar "Book1". Is it possible that I screwed up a setting somewhere and there is a menu choice to fix this? Is this a problem anyone here has faced? Thanks If it's an actual hardware problem, then I don't think you can fix it in excel! ...

reprot/query problem
How do i go about adding a parameter query to a report deisgned to make labels so that i get certain criteria in the report?? have tried record source haven't had much luck with it. Thanks ...

Charts in closed groups shrinking
Having a wierd problem with charts - pie charts specifically - I've included in collapsible groups in a spreadsheet I use to do analysis. Hoping someone here can help. Basically I'm finding that if I size a pie chart that's in a collapsible group (row group), collapse that group, save the XLS, then uncollapse the group the pie chart is approximately half its size. If I do it again the chart is half again its original size. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a way to make sure Excel preserves set chart sizes? I can't find any setting around this, and its annoyi...

Problems connecting with clients
I've had to do a manual install on clients and I still can't get the server (DPM2010)to communicate with clients, and I think the problem is on the server (Windows 2008R2x64). The client error log for DPMRA says "host is unreachable" but the server firewall config shows all the DPM apps allowed through for the domain. Any pointers? Here are some guidelines on how to debug it, I am assuming that DPM and PSes are in a single domain(or having trust to each other's domain) and you have successfully attached the agent on DPM. 1. One quick way to isolat...

Chart totals
I need help. I have a chart with multiple columns and three rows. Each row has a total. I would like to do a stacked column chart shoeing the each rows value and the totals without the totals effecting the chart. When I try and do it now, the total throws off the chart? Hi, Does this work around help? http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy Angela wrote: > I need help. I have a chart with multiple columns and three rows. Each row > has a total. I would like to do a stacked column chart shoeing the each rows > value and the totals without the total...

Calculating dates problem
Hello, I use Excel 2000 and have a problem calculating the number of days between two dates. I insert both dates in separate cells, both cells containing the same date format, and when I try using "Paste Function" -> "Date & Time" -> "DAYS360" I get a windows in which I'm supposed to state the cell that defines the starting date and the cell that defines the ending date. The thing is, that when I click on said cells, the "number" word next to the "Start_date", or the "End_date" changes to "#VALUE". My...

Thread synchronization problem #2
Hello I am facing a problem in sychronizing 2 threads. I do have 2 classes (CPlayBuffer & CPlay) and 2 threads. CPlayBuffer will start from the main application. CPlay(Write into wave out device) thread will start from CPlayBuffer(read from the socket) thread. I am reserving 5buffers. As soon as i get 5 buffers i am signalling an event to notify the play thread to start read from the buffer queue. I am maintaining a circular buffer. In that i am keeping write position, read position, filled buffer nos. I am using CRITICAL_SECTION to avoid overlapping of the variable between 2...

Still having a problem with my combo box
i have manged to create my combo box and when i click on it to pull it down all my info of my customer names address postcode and numbers can be viewed i then click on one of the customer names and the name appears in the combo box this is fine and what i want but iam still unsure on how to display the rest of the info for that customer on the form , whats the best way to do it and could you explain in detail how to because iam very new and only learning about the fundimentals of access . See this article: http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0058.htm -- Ken Snell <MS ACCES...

Impedding/Overlaying Charts
Is it possible to imped/overlay one chart on another, and have them both be fully functional? For example, I would like to put a second small chart, about 1/4th size, on a full-sized chart. Thanks, Phil Phil - You can embed a chart in a chart sheet. Right click on the chart to be embedded, choose Location, and next to As Object In, select the chart sheet to embed it within. If the two charts are on a worksheet, the best you could do is make one small and float it in front of the other. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Sol...

Business Fax Problem
When I try to send out a mass e-mail to my suppliers, I get their business fax in my contact list. Is there any way to deactivate this. Thanks for any help. Peter McCaul <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote: > When I try to send out a mass e-mail to my suppliers, I get their > business fax in my contact list. Is there any way to deactivate > this. Since Fax numbers are valid electronic addresses, Outlook presents them to you. To prevent that, you must change them so that Outlook doesn't recognize them as valid. Put a string (like "F" or "FAX") in fron...

charting in Excel
Can someone tell me how to plot two different sets of values on a line chart --- the problem is although both sets of values cover the same lenght of material, they are taken at different spots on the material (eg.- strength and amount of magnesium in a steel pipe). I can't seem to get one to plot on top of the other. Thanks, Allan ...

Problem in a query with DLookUp
I have a query that take the Data_Nascita value from table Anagrafica. In Expr1 i calculate the value in year, no problem. Then i am tring to get the correct value of Categoria related to age value i have the problem. With this code a get always the first value in the table that is not correlated to the age calculation and obviously is not correct. SELECT Anagrafica.Data_Nascita, DateDiff("yyyy",[Data_Nascita],Date())-IIf (Format([Data_Nascita],"mmdd")>Format(Date(),"mmdd"),1,0) AS Expr1, DLookUp ("Categoria","Anni_Categoria_Calcio_LND&...

Email problem #7
I have been using Outlook 2002 for email for quite some time. Recently, some of my incoming email is coming through as a text attachment instead of the usual email. (The email arrives and I then have to click on the attachment in order to read what the person sent me) Each time, the sender says they sent the email in the normal manner. This only happens with three of my contacts but it is a new issue. If I check my email over the internet instead of through Outoook, the email comes through in the normal way. Hope this makes sense and hope soeone knows how to stop it as it is mo...

File Sharing Problem with Publisher
Publisher 2000 and Windows XP Hello, I have a peer-to-peer network using Windows XP machines. Any time I create a publisher file, when someone else tries to open it up, they receive a message stating that they cannot open the file due to file sharing violations. If I save the file to their workstation, then they can open it up. I only encounter this in Publisher. Any thoughts? Jeff Jeff Bendert wrote: > Publisher 2000 and Windows XP > > Hello, > > I have a peer-to-peer network using Windows XP machines. > > Any time I create a publisher file, when someone else t...

Problem in attaching a USB Powered keyboard of IBM surepos 500
We have a problem in installing in IBM Sure POS 500 In the Duty Free environment in Qatar. They have purchased IBm POS machines. We have a problem in using the Keypad attached to the IBM POS machine. We are not able to activate the keypad. Cash drawer, Printer, Customer display are working fine and MSR. Please let us know if there are any documentation and can MRMS work with this Dynamic key attached along with the Touch screen, The display is a 12" IBM 4820-2GB and the Keypad that attached to this display is called a "keypad with MSR", its model number is 4820-6322 ...

Chart Labels Don't Show
This is really a beginner question I am sure. Would really appreciate some help. When I create a chart in Excel 2003, sometimes the plot area is too small and crowded and not all my data labels show up. Is there any way other than dragging the corners to make the chart bigger (which doesn't always work) to make it big enough for all my labels to show up? THANKS!! As answered in .charting: You can format the x-axis: Click on the x-axis to select it Choose Format>Selected Axis On the Scale tab, for Number of categories between tick-mark labels, enter 1 On the Font tab, you can...

Need help with complicated chart (xy chart? z axis? not sure!)
I have two groups of people from a survey I recently conducted, "probably" people, and "definitely" people. Each one provided a title, as well as choosing the price range they deemed fair for a particular service. I want to create a chart that captures how many of each group of people have a certain category of title and chose a specific price range. Thus, the data to chart looks something like this: Definitely: $1000 $ 3000 President 2 6 VP 8 3 Probably...

How to do this kind of chart in excel?
I wonder if this is possible. I have two gaussians represented by points and joined by a smooth line in excel. however, ideally I want the area under the curves to be shaded, and best of all, if possible, be semi transparent so that the overlap between the two curves is highlighted a bit darker than the area under the individual curves. x values are wavelength, y values are intensity is this possible? t.i.a Lee - Excel doesn't do transparent shading of area charts; otherwise that would be the ideal approach. You can get semitransparent column charts using an autoshape as an area...

using office 2007 chart in office 2003
I have created a Line chart using Excel 2007 in compatibility mode. When I open the workbook using Excel 2003 it does not know the chart sub-type, and when the chart is regenerated by my macro it defaults to 'Line with markers displayed at each data value'. I need to distribute my chart to users running Office 2003, and I need the chart to retain the original chart type. Any ideas please? The rule of thumb if your workbooks are to be shared with users of different Excel versions, is to create your workbook in the oldest version that any of the users has. Unfortunately Compatibi...

NT4 connectiong to AD problem
We have a problem with loging of NT4 user to Active Directory native domain There is the message: "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer account in it's primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect" This is NT4 server acting as a member of AD domain. We thing that it has something to do with Kerberos authentification, but can not tell why. Nothing was done today and we do not know what could cause this problem, but it is definately something with authentification issues . . . . Exchange services running with accou...