Problem with "Name Box" in Excel 2003 charts

Hi,

In the past, I could use the "Name Box" in Excel 2003 to select a particular
data series or other objects in the chart.  The Name Box used to contain a
drop-down list with all the objects in the chart.

Since several months ago, this feature went away: there is no longer a
drop-down list with the various objects.  I would like to know if anyone
experienced the same problem and (more importantly) if there is a solution.

Thanks,

Gabriel

0
toro (6)

The Name Box (which is part of the Formula Bar) is non-functional on
my Excel 2003 as well.  However, on the Chart Toolbar, there is a
similar drop-down called "Chart Objects".  You can use that to select
the different objects on the chart the same way you would use the Name
Box.  (To show the Chart Toolbar, right-click on  any toolbar and
check "Chart")

Liana
On Jan 27, 6:43=A0pm, Liana <lottavi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The Name Box (which is part of the Formula Bar) is non-functional on
> my Excel 2003 as well. =A0However, on the Chart Toolbar, there is a
> similar drop-down called "Chart Objects". =A0You can use that to select
> the different objects on the chart the same way you would use the Name
> Box. =A0(To show the Chart Toolbar, right-click on =A0any toolbar and
> check "Chart")
>
> Liana

I just tested, and the name box is working fine in my copy of 2003.
Perhaps you need to repair your copy.

Robert Flanagan
Add-ins.com LLC
144 Dewberry Drive
Hockessin, Delaware, U.S.  19707

Phone:  302-234-9857,  fax 302-234-9859
http://www.add-ins.com

name box
Hallo, very basic question, but it is making me crazy. I've used the "name box" to label some cells. What is strange, I'm not more able to rename them or remove the "label".. Any trick I'm not aware of? thanks *pimar -- pimar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pimar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5386 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375030 Click on a cell that you have named Then click on Insert (on the menu bar) Choose Name > Defi...

excel 'name box'
how to delete entries in excel 'name box' Ctrl+F3. Select the name and delete. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >how to delete entries in excel 'name box' >. > Hi firedog! For Versions of Excel before Excel 2003 Tools > Options > Transition Check "Transition Navigation Keys" OK Then / r n r Resets all names. There's no equivalent Excel command other than doing it one at a time or using a VBA subroutine. But be aware that there is no "are you sure?" and if you haven't saved the file recently you could ge...

Dynamic range does not appear in name box
I have defined a dynamic range using the offset and counta functions in the define name box. The name works fine in my formulas, but does not appear in the drop-down name box on the formula bar. Is there a way to get this name to appear there? Thanks. Dave Nope. But you could use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp DaveNadler wrote: > > I have defined a dynamic range using the offset and counta functions in the > define name box. The name works fine in my ...

Name Box sizing
Is there a way to make the Name Box on the Formula bar wider? Chip Pearson describes a way: http://cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.htm If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm KenInPortland wrote: > > Is there a way to make the Name Box on the Formula bar wider? -- Dave Peterson ...

Editing Name Box
The 'Name Box' which appears in the Top right of the toolbar just beneath the font box or fole menu. This dispalys the cell u r in plus other things like print area. How can i re-edit, delete remove listings in that box. E.g. I created a 2 Print Area which now can be selected directly by clicking on the name box but I want to remove one of them and re-edit the other. Thx Gunjani Use Insert|Name|Define You can adjust the ranges or delete the names and recreate the way you like. Gunjani wrote: > > The 'Name Box' which appears in the Top right of the toolbar just &g...

Name Range not displaying in Name Box
I created a worksheet a few months ago... that had a column with cells that we gave a name. We referenced some formulas to this name range.. and everything worked out fine. Yesterday.. I open the worksheet and highlight those exact cells to see the name range.. and its no longer there... I also go to insert>name.. and theres aren't any names listed... I go to my formulas.. and I do SEE the name range in the formula... what happened to my name range? With ActiveWorkbook ..Names.Visible:=False 'true End With -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "kvc...

What does _v0000 mean on the name box?
I am working with vb application that goes through excel worksheets which have pictures in it. The pictures that were addressable have 'Picture 1' in the Name box and my code could access them because Worksheet(1).Pictures.Count returns a non zero value. For those pictures that when clicked shows a label in the Name box as '_v0000' , the expression Worksheet(2).Pictures.Count returns a 0, which means that it is not recognizing that as a picture. Is there any other object or collection other than Pictures that those identified with _v0000 pertain to? Thanks ! "Sha...

'Name box'--increase width
Hi all, Anyone know how to increase the width of the name box on the formula bar? Tools > Customize lets you resize all boxes except this one. It is too small to use while developing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! In MacXL, you can just use: CommandBars("Formula Bar").Controls("Name Box").Width = 250 For WinXL, see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.htm In article <_Madnd6Jic-ilpbcRVn-gw@comcast.com>, "JRocket02" <todd.randall@comcast.net> wrote: > Hi all, > > Anyone know how to increase the width of the ...

Small Name Box
Hi, The name box in MS Excel is rather small and narrow. Is there a way to expand it ? -- Regards, Adrian Hi Adrian check out http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.htm Cheers JulieD "Adrian" <xinke@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OdxnpssdEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > The name box in MS Excel is rather small and narrow. Is there a way to > expand it ? > -- > Regards, > Adrian > > ...

select name box freezes Outlook

name box reseting
does anybody know how to reset the indexing sequence for inserte pictures in the name box on the top left next to the formula bar -- lrod184 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lrod1843's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2434 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37945 If I close and reopen the workbook, the sequencing seems to start over. But maybe just renaming the pictures (to something significant) would be better. Select the picture and type the name in the namebox. (Remembe...

Number of items listed in Name Box
Hi All, Does anybody know how you can increase the number of items that show in the drop down Name Box Field. Currently there are 7, but I am sure I have had it set up with more in the past. Thank you for any suggestions. K. I haven't seen a way to increase the number of items displayed at a given time in the name box drop down. It was increased to 30 from 7 in Excel 2003. -- Jim <vega953@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c29c587a-c78a-4885-81ba-5007e8f24557@v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... | Hi All, | Does anybody know how you can increase the number of items that show | in the...

name box in excel 2003
i am new to excell and i have a document that i got from work that has multiple worksheets, that drop down in the "name box" it says i get them but i cannot get back to my original document.. sorry dont know how else to describe this. thanks T "that dropdown in the 'name box' it says".... What is IT? The dropdown? The name box? "it says I get them"... What is THEM? "back to my original document"... Can you see your sheet tabs? I can only envision that you have a workbook with sheet tabs hidden ( to fix, go to Tools-->Options-->View an...

Name box too small
Using Excel 2000, is it possible to change the size of the name box? I have a spreadsheet with a number of named ranges, some of which are too long to display fully in the existing name box. I can't distinguish between some of them as the first part of the names are the same. -- Ian -- Chip Pearson has a way: http://cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.aspx If you're new to macros: Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros here: http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html David McRitchie has an intro to macros: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstart...

Name Box......how can i enter names more efficiently?
Hi, I have several field that I need to name. If I have the names of the field in cells (in the cells, not the name box) of another worksheet, is there a way I can copy and paste the text in the cells to the name box of another cell? I think a macro is required for this, but I'm not sure how to do it. Any advice? Thanks in advance -- tegant ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tegant's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30278 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499483 Som...

Only see name box and formula box where is the rest?
Hi, I accidently unchecked an option because of which now when I open excel all i see is the name box and the formula box and the worksheet. I do not see the menu nor the toolbar options. I have tried the Alt+T C but it doesnot work. How do I make the toolbars and the menu show up again. thx view/toolbars/standard and formatting Can you see the File / Edit / View menu bar? "vik" wrote: > Hi, > > I accidently unchecked an option because of which now when I open excel all > i see is the name box and the formula box and the worksheet. I do not see the > menu n...

no Name box
I seem to have lost the Name box and Cell Reference area in the toolbar area. I am using Excel 2002. Any help appreciated. Thanks --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 14/08/2003 Geoff, Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the View tab. There, check the "Formula bar" option. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "geoff" <geoffkane@blueyonder.co.uk> w...

missing name box
Has anyone ever lost the name box in the upper left portion of the window where the cell location is displayed? Only if the formula bar itself is not displayed (View, Formula bar). -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "John E. Kruskie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:259d01c427d5$f62cb960$a501280a@phx.gbl... | Has anyone ever lost the name box in the upper left | portion of the window where the cell location is displayed? ...

Define name box size too small for viewing large formulas
Hi, When we create a new name using insert and define name then if the formula is long it becomes difficult to view the whole formula. Also one is not able to use navigation buttons left,right here as if we do that then the formula gets modified. is there any way to see the whole formula. Like for creating ever expanding validation list using Debra's technique one uses offset etc but one is not able to view the whole big formula. Please guide me. Regards, Hari India Hi try hitting F2 while in this text box. After this you should be able to navigate within this box. -- Regards Frank ...

Deleting names in the name box
Could someone explain how you delete a name from the name box? When I go to Insert-->Names, paste is the only option available. Thanks. Is it shared? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "PAL" <PAL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54AA2C6A-57A4-4972-AD8B-2FD935FAFC79@microsoft.com... > Could someone explain how you delete a name from the name box? When I go to > Insert-->Names, paste is the only option available. Thanks. ...

Name Box #2
Hi Everybody How do you create Hidden Names for ranges? I would like to name a range of cells and not have the name appear in the drop down Name box, but be able to refer to it in VBA code. I am using Excel 2002 Many thanks Hi PraxisPete, Try something like: '=============>> Public Sub Tester03() With ActiveWorkbook .Names.Add "Test", _ RefersTo:=.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), _ Visible:=False End With End Sub '<<============= --- Regards, Norman "PraxisPete" <PraxisPete@discussions.micr...

Indirect Method for Name Box Variable?
Can the name box use the Indirect method for defining its name? I wish to use a cell's value to define the name in the name box. I' not sure if this is possible or if I'm just getting the syntax wrong. I'm trying to group 7 days (cells) and then have Excel keep th grouping as I copy them for subsequent weeks. I don't want to manuall keep naming the groups as new weeks are added. Example in the name box: INDIRECT("week" & $A1) where A1, A2, A3, etc. will contain the sequencial values 1, 2, 3, etc Essentially, the names would end up being week1, week2, we...

How do I expand the Name Box?
When I name a range, it is posted to the Name Box (next to the formula bar). However, the full name is not displayed due to the size of the name box. Thanks. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html#misc -- HTH Bob Phillips "JohnnyQuick" <JohnnyQuick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739ADDEF-AAA5-4623-B842-DA272EFE04B9@microsoft.com... > When I name a range, it is posted to the Name Box (next to the formula bar). > However, the full name is not displayed due to the size of the name box. > Thanks. You can do this only through code...

how to increase size of "name box" and "contents of cell " displa.
need to enlarge the size of the "name box" and Contents of cell" inorder to edit without using "F2" I don't quite understand what you want. If the cell is too small try changing the zoom on the standard toolbar or change the cell size highlighting the rows and then format>row height>change the number in the pop up box. To edit a cell you can double click in it. If that is not working you need to go to tools>options>edit tab and put a tick in the 'edit directly in cell' box hope this helps -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000,...

Name Boxes
At the moment I have a message box that flags up cell references - can I make it flag up the cells name instead? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ According to this you must know the index in the collection. MsgBox Names(2).Name Name Object See Also Properties Methods Events Specifics Application Workbooks (Workbook) Names (Name) Worksheets (Worksheet) Range Name Represents a defined name for a range of cells. Names ...