Problem inserting delta symbol into Excel

Dear Group,

    Hello.  I recently posted a question related to the issue of
putting a mu (=B5) symbol into MS Excel charts.  Someone kindly
suggested using the Alt-numeric code (alt-0181) to place this symbol
into the spreadsheet cell which then showed up nicely in the chart.
However, when I try to do this same operation using alt+ NumPad 68
(susposed to give the delta symbol), all I get is a capital D.  What
gives?   Why does one symbol work and not the other?  I even
downloaded the program QuickKeys from SourceForge.net and this still
did not solve the problem.   Any ideas??

   Thank you.

   John

John:  Did you try alt+0394 to represent the delta symbol?  I've used that
successfully in the past.
Jack

"johnmclaughlin48@gmail.com" wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
>     Hello.  I recently posted a question related to the issue of
> putting a mu (µ) symbol into MS Excel charts.  Someone kindly
> suggested using the Alt-numeric code (alt-0181) to place this symbol
> into the spreadsheet cell which then showed up nicely in the chart.
> However, when I try to do this same operation using alt+ NumPad 68
> (susposed to give the delta symbol), all I get is a capital D.  What
> gives?   Why does one symbol work and not the other?  I even
> downloaded the program QuickKeys from SourceForge.net and this still
> did not solve the problem.   Any ideas??
>
>    Thank you.
>
>    John

Alt-0068 produces delta, if you're using the Symbol font. In a regular font,
Alt-0068 produced D (Alt-0065 is A, etc.). I don't see delta in any of the
three regular fonts I just checked
(http://peltiertech.com/Excel/tricks.html#ascii).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

<johnmclaughlin48@gmail.com> wrote in message
Dear Group,

    Hello.  I recently posted a question related to the issue of
putting a mu (�) symbol into MS Excel charts.  Someone kindly
suggested using the Alt-numeric code (alt-0181) to place this symbol
into the spreadsheet cell which then showed up nicely in the chart.
However, when I try to do this same operation using alt+ NumPad 68
(susposed to give the delta symbol), all I get is a capital D.  What
gives?   Why does one symbol work and not the other?  I even
downloaded the program QuickKeys from SourceForge.net and this still
did not solve the problem.   Any ideas??

   Thank you.

   John

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/13/2007 1:27:52 AM
On Sep 12, 8:26=C2=A0pm, JackGombola
<JackGomb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> John: =C2=A0Did you try alt+0394 to represent the delta symbol? =C2=A0I'v=
e used that
> successfully in the past.
> Jack
>

> "johnmclaughli...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > Dear Group,
>
> > =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Hello. =C2=A0I recently posted a question related to the =
issue of
> > putting a mu (=C2=B5) symbol into MS Excel charts. =C2=A0Someone kindly
> > suggested using the Alt-numeric code (alt-0181) to place this symbol
> > into the spreadsheet cell which then showed up nicely in the chart.
> > However, when I try to do this same operation using alt+ NumPad 68
> > (susposed to give the delta symbol), all I get is a capital D. =C2=A0Wh=
at
> > gives? =C2=A0 Why does one symbol work and not the other? =C2=A0I even
> > downloaded the program QuickKeys from SourceForge.net and this still
> > did not solve the problem. =C2=A0 Any ideas??
>
> > =C2=A0 =C2=A0Thank you.
>
> > =C2=A0 =C2=A0John- Hide quoted text -

Dear Jack,  Hello.  Thanks for the suggestion.  However, on my
computer (Windows Vista running MS Office 2007) the alt 0394 produces
the following character: =C5=A0.  Take care,  John

Dear Group,  Thank you for your responses.  I could not find a way to
use the Delta Symbol in Excel.  The Delta symbol appeared in the
spreadsheet cell showed up as a captial "D" in the chart.  I found if
I left it blank and imported it into PowerPoint, I could create a text
box with a Delta Symbol and insert this into the empty space in the
chart.  There is probably an easier way to do this but.....

   Thanks again.

On Sep 12, 9:27 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> Alt-0068 produces delta, if you're using the Symbol font. In a regular fo=
nt,
> Alt-0068 produced D (Alt-0065 is A, etc.). I don't see delta in any of the
> three regular fonts I just checked
> (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/tricks.html#ascii).
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <johnmclaughli...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dear Group,
>
>     Hello.  I recently posted a question related to the issue of
> putting a mu (=B5) symbol into MS Excel charts.  Someone kindly
> suggested using the Alt-numeric code (alt-0181) to place this symbol
> into the spreadsheet cell which then showed up nicely in the chart.
> However, when I try to do this same operation using alt+ NumPad 68
> (susposed to give the delta symbol), all I get is a capital D.  What
> gives?   Why does one symbol work and not the other?  I even
> downloaded the program QuickKeys from SourceForge.net and this still
> did not solve the problem.   Any ideas??
>
>    Thank you.
>
>    John

Axis tick labels only support definition of a font format (font name, size,
bold, italic, color, etc.) for the entire label. In a textbox, data label,
axis title, or chart title, you can format individual characters, but only
if the text element is not linked to a cell.

- Jon
-------

wrote:
> Alt-0068 produces delta, if you're using the Symbol font. In a regular
> font,
> Alt-0068 produced D (Alt-0065 is A, etc.). I don't see delta in any of the
> three regular fonts I just checked
> (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/tricks.html#ascii).
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <johnmclaughli...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dear Group,
>
>     Hello.  I recently posted a question related to the issue of
> putting a mu (�) symbol into MS Excel charts.  Someone kindly
> suggested using the Alt-numeric code (alt-0181) to place this symbol
> into the spreadsheet cell which then showed up nicely in the chart.
> However, when I try to do this same operation using alt+ NumPad 68
> (susposed to give the delta symbol), all I get is a capital D.  What
> gives?   Why does one symbol work and not the other?  I even
> downloaded the program QuickKeys from SourceForge.net and this still
> did not solve the problem.   Any ideas??
>
>    Thank you.
>
>    John

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)