Possible to turn off graph refresh temporarily?

Graphs in 2007 are very slow to refresh after refreshing a data
connection.  When I remove the 30 graphs in my spreadsheet and refresh
the data connections, it refreshes in less than a second.  When the
graphs are present, it's more than 10 seconds.  Is there any way
(VBA?) to disable the refreshing of the graphs until after the data
connection refreshes have completed, and then to re-enable them?  Kind
of like a "manual calculation" mode for graphs.

Thanks!

0
dough

I'm not aware of anything that allows you to stop the graph refreshing as
such.  However, you might be able to get around this by using a VBA routine
to update your data connection.  I'm assuming your data comes through in a
query table.  In the VBA, have a routine like:

Sub Process_Updates()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Activesheet.QueryTables(1).Refresh(False)
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Using the "False" parameter forces Excel to wait until the data has been
returned fully from the data connection.  Turning screenupdating off means
excel doesn't change anything on the display until screenupdating is turned
back on.

I haven't used 2007 yet, but hopefully this should work for you.

"dough@180solutions.com" wrote:

> Graphs in 2007 are very slow to refresh after refreshing a data
> connection.  When I remove the 30 graphs in my spreadsheet and refresh
> the data connections, it refreshes in less than a second.  When the
> graphs are present, it's more than 10 seconds.  Is there any way
> (VBA?) to disable the refreshing of the graphs until after the data
> connection refreshes have completed, and then to re-enable them?  Kind
> of like a "manual calculation" mode for graphs.
>
> Thanks!

What's the Best Approach to Show a Simple Line Graph and Summary Data?
All, I have an Excel worksheet that reads data from a DB and an ini file and performs some calculations on it. The ultimate goal is to show Weekly/Monthly/Yearly goals and progress to goals, both in a table of numbers and in a simple line graph. In the spreadsheet, I use some "Excel-Centric" formulas like SumIf, Month, Week, Year, etc. I would like to get this "creation" out of Excel and into either a Windows Forms Application or an ASP.Net page. I can't purchase any 3rd party controls. Any suggestions as to what the most straightforward path would b...

creating graphs from data from more than one query..
Hi, I'm trying to create a graph from data from more than one query. I have an average figure for each month, but want to put the data for 3 years (which is spread across 3 seperate queires) into one graph so i can look at all 3 figures for jan next to each other etc. I've tryed creating a new query which combines all 3 years averages but still when i use the wizard the graph does not show up how i want! can anyone help? thanks for your time! ...

How can I graph the #of times a certain word is found in Excel?
For example I have a list of reasons of what brand of butter a group of customers choose to buy.... How can I take the number of times "I can't believe it's not butter" is listed as compared to "Brommel and Brown", etc. and graph them accordingly onto one graph so if I have 512 occurances where customers chose "I can't believe it's not butter" and 256 occurances where customers chose "Brommel and Brown" - then I would like the graph is twice as large for the "I can't believe it's not butter". Hi, Just put in an ...

today line on graph
Hi I have a graph with dates along the bottom up to about July this year. Along the 'y' axis is a set of figures up to around 9000 ish. There's 2 sets of lines on the graph for two data sets. I'd like to have a vertical line at the point of today's date if possible. TIA On your data sheet, generate a series with 2 points. Both points have X values of =TODAY(). One point has a Y value of zero, and the other has a Y value of Ymax from the rest of your data (9000 ish in your case). Add that data series as a new series on your graph. -- David Biddulph ...

Is it possible to digital sign a Visio drawing ?
Is it possible to attach a digital signature to a Visio drawing ? I would like to do something that is more like the PDF doc files that are digitally signed and protected. Is this possible ? I have been considered exporting the drawing in PDF and finally applying the signature and the protection. However, I would like to have a Visio based solution for this question. Thank you Cristian Visio does not currently have this capability. -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Chris" <donotreply...

Bar Graph bars from opposite direction
I am graphing a few numbers in a bar graph. Typically, the bottom of the bar is "0", or the minimum value, and it goes UP to my data point. I would like the bar to come from the maximum direction. I guess it starts at Infinity, and goes 'down' to my data point. I already know "Reverse Order" exists, but that justs flips the graph upside down. (And the bars will start at 0 still) I know I could do some tricks and work-arounds to meet my needs....but just want to make sure there's not a quick way to do it. example: (bar graph of values "5", "...

Probability Graph
Hello, I am trying to create a probability graph. On the x-axis, I would like to have days (365 days). The Y-axis would represent a volume of liquid (from 0.4 to 32.0L). This water is shipped to a location every 6 days. The water comes either in 0.4 L, 23.5 L or 32.0 L per shipment. How would you construct a graph that would visually show this knowing also that you can only have two consecutive shipments of the same quantity (ie. Shipment 1=0.4, shipment 2=0.4 but shipment 3 could not equal 0.4). Thanks so much for your help Have you tried using the data analysis component of Exc...

Graph in Report
Hello- I am trying to include a graph in an Access report. The graph report is based off of a query. I built an unbound form named "ParamFormDept" with three text boxes, StartDate/EndDate/cboDept that the user enters the date and dept criteria into that they want the report for. When I run the query on its own, the data comes up correctly. When I run the report with the graph in it I get an error message saying "...does not recognize the name [forms]![ParamFormDept]![cboDate] as a valid field name or expression." My graphs row source says: PARAMETERS forms!Par...

how do i draw equillbrium graph?
I have to draw a Market Equillbrium graph, is there a way to draw in excel? Thanks First you'll have to tell us what a Market Equilibrium graph is. "T" <T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:039BE071-CB14-48BF-B27C-FEDCDF18AC73@microsoft.com... >I have to draw a Market Equillbrium graph, is there a way to draw in excel? > > Thanks T wrote: > I have to draw a Market Equillbrium graph, is there a way to draw in excel? > > Thanks --------------------- Do you mean a simple Supply & Demand graph as used in Economics? If so, you need ...

Autoformat Customise
Under autoformat, there is a variety of format to be choose, is it possible to customize, e.g List1 color? Formatting style doesnt work as the color of each row cells occur at alternate row! You can't modify the built-in AutoFormats. You can click the Options button, and remove check marks from the features that you don't want to apply with the AutoFormat. crapit wrote: > Under autoformat, there is a variety of format to be choose, is it possible > to customize, e.g List1 color? Formatting style doesnt work as the color of > each row cells occur at alternate row! ...

Line and Column Graph
I have a graph that has six series. Each column has a line that goes with it. Ex- Pink bar and Pink Line Blue Bar and Blue Line Green Bar and Green Line Now all the lines line up on the middle bar which happens to be pink. I want each data point to line up with the correct color bar not with the middle bar. -- Thanks, Nikki What kind of bar chart do you have? Clustered, Stacked? "Nikki" <Nikki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F23DE85-B1AE-40FC-A0D2-47EF73FA08B2@microsoft.com... > I have a graph that has six series. Each column has a line that goes ...

Graphic/Picture/Shape return possible?
I would like a graphic, picture, or a shape to be displayed when a value falls within a particular range of numerical scenarios. I'm currently using an IF formula to return a numerical "grade" when values fall within a particular range, but would like to make the look a little more interesting by using something fun to look at. Any help is appreciated! You could use a worksheet event. And since it's the result of an =If() statement, you'd want to use the worksheet_calculate event. Rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this behavior. Select view code and p...

Is it possible to set an alarm in EXCEL?
Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to set an alarm in Excel. I' working with a lot of dates in Excel and I've got one column which i called "DATE OF NEXT ACTION" and at that date I'll need to call specific client. I know that I can filter the data on that column. But is there a way t set Excel so that something pops up on the screen? Or any other possibility that Excel checks the dates in that column an makes me aware if today's date is the same as the one in the column? If not, is there another software that can do that? Thanks so much for any help yo...

Possible to set up conditional formatting that can be overwritten?
Is it possible to create conditional formatting that can be overwritten by the user? I enjoy many advantages of conditional formatting....yet when I (or users that work in my documents) need to highlight certain cells or rows that have conditional formatting, we are of course unable to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Thanks. All conditional formatting can be overwritten, you can for instance just format a cell to your liking, then copy this cell and then paste special and select formatting into the cell with conditional formatting and the CF wil...

Start typing, possible alternatives appear automatically
Hi, Data validation solves my need. But it is not a quick, easy way. Is there improvement possiblities, some easier alternatives ? I have Data Validation List for example Master Mike H. Master Eduardo ...... ...... And assume the list has 1000 items [although to have so much so good masters is not possible : ) ] It is difficult to press data validation arrow, scroll down many times and find the needed item. When I start writing Master M in a data validation applied cell, is it possible to see the list of all alternatives automatically. (And to click if poosible.) An...

Bar Graph with goal line
I am trying to make a bar graph of various rates. What i want on the graph along with the rates of individual performers is a horizontal line that signifies what the goal is. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "AJ" <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E47B8480-9BC8-4039-B264-72119D914568@microsoft.com... >I am trying to make a bar graph of various rates. What i want on the graph > along with ...

Possible to have a shared and private outlook?
In an office environment, is it possible for co-workers to use a shared version of outlook with commonly updatable calendar entries and still have their own individual calendars? Bill wrote: > In an office environment, is it possible for co-workers to use a > shared version of outlook with commonly updatable calendar entries and > still have their own individual calendars? Yes, but you'll really need Exchange server for that. Look at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx. ...

transparent data series on area graphs
I am having trouble using the "area graph with a 3-D visual effect" feature. The problem is that I want the front series to be transparent so that the back area is viewable from behind the front series. When I select the front series and go to [area->fill effects] there is a section there for setting transparency, which is exactly what I want to be able to use! BUT!, it is unavailable and nothing that I have tried has been effective in making it an option, or available, for my selected data series. HELP??? thanks much! AFAIK, transparency in charts is only built in t...

How can I make the graph omit blank cells in the data set?
Hi, I've been workin' on the problem below that I've written a few days ago but got no answers. It's easy to select spesific cells to another column for ex: cells belong to type A then I draw the graph but a new problem occured, there are empth cells and mygraph counts them next question: how can I omit the blank cells from my data set while graphing? Thx a lot :) Emre UNAL http://www.geocities.com/dusemre Main Problem: Hi, I have a mixed data set as exampled below, Type Value A 14 B 0.156 C 1.65 A 18 D 4...

Is a vertical datasheet view possible
The standard layout for the datasheet view form is horizontal. Is there a way to display the datasheet view vertically with the field names going down the left side of the form and the data expanding to the right? "John F" <JohnF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C27846C8-DB7E-42B7-BE67-E9FD96E09AC1@microsoft.com... > The standard layout for the datasheet view form is horizontal. Is there a > way > to display the datasheet view vertically with the field names going down > the > left side of the form and the data expanding to the righ...

Project Window does not refresh?
How come the Project Window retains the code on spreadsheets that I have already closed? The only way to refresh is to close msExcel. I maybe have altered something in the options. Nothing you have done in options AFAIK I have seen this occur many times in several versions of Excel. There may be an explanation but if I knew, I have forgotten. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:13:13 -0800 (PST), Canlink <canlink@gmail.com> wrote: >How come the Project Window retains the code on spreadsheets that I >have already closed? The only way to refresh is...

How do i make two different lines on the same graph?
i have to make two different lines on the same graph. the numbers range from ..1-.3 on x-axis and 4-6 on y axis. How can i get the two lines on the same graph I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for here, but for starters, read the Excel help documents (use the Answer Wizard or the smartass Paper Clip to search these terms) - "Create a Chart," "Data Series," "Second Axis". Hopefully, one of them will have the answer to your specific question. Good luck! (Feel free to post with a more specific description of your dilemma as well). "Help&quo...

Is it possible

Graph to TIF
Does any one know how to convert an Excel graph into a tiff file please -- _____________________________________________ _____________________________________________ Mr J E Ellis University of Cambridge Department of Materials Science & Metallurgy Pembroke Street Cambridge CB2 3QZ England Tel + 44-(0) 1223 334346 Fax + 44-(0) 1223 334567 E-mail JEE22@MSM.CAM.AC.UK _____________________________________________ This works with either gif or jpg so I assume it should work for tif. Sub ExportChartGIF() ActiveChart.Export Filename:="C:\yourfolder\MyChart.gif", _ Fil...

hyperlink to a graph
I have a worksheet with a series of hyperlink to other worksheets in the same spreadsheet. I would like to create a link to a Graph within the spreadsheet, but Excel only lists the worksheets, not the graphs. Thanks for any advice on how to solve this. Vince Hi not possible without using VBA and triggering the selection_change event of your worksheet. Have a look at http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon016 for some code -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany vince wrote: > I have a worksheet with a series of hyperlink to other > worksheets in th...