population pyramids using bar charts with a secondary axis

I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently
learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However,
I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have
some suggestions.

My organization has been producing reports that contain population
pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it
didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use
two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to
the point where we would like our charts to be available online for
download. If we save the charts from Excel, of course each pyramid has
two charts that become GIFs, which is non-ideal. Here's an example of
what we have now:

http://epdc.org/CPGraphs/HumanCapitalPyramid/Bolivia_curmale.png
http://epdc.org/CPGraphs/HumanCapitalPyramid/Bolivia_curfemale.png

and here is the progress that I've made:

http://epdc.org/junk/HCPsecondary.png

The big remaining problem is that I need (or would really really like)
a single visible y-axis (I'm calling the horizontal axis y because
that's what Excel does). It's not as simple as making one axis
invisible and changing the way that negative numbers are displayed.
Since we would like to keep the age group labels in the middle of the
pyramid, the y-axis would actually need to have two zeros, if that
makes sense.

Any ideas?

Have a look at Jon's example
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"sarah o." <sarah.oh.liver@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently
> learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However,
> I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have
> some suggestions.
>
> My organization has been producing reports that contain population
> pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it
> didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use
> two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to
> the point where we would like our charts to be available online for
> download. If we save the charts from Excel, of course each pyramid has
> two charts that become GIFs, which is non-ideal. Here's an example of
> what we have now:
>
> http://epdc.org/CPGraphs/HumanCapitalPyramid/Bolivia_curmale.png
> http://epdc.org/CPGraphs/HumanCapitalPyramid/Bolivia_curfemale.png
>
> and here is the progress that I've made:
>
> http://epdc.org/junk/HCPsecondary.png
>
> The big remaining problem is that I need (or would really really like)
> a single visible y-axis (I'm calling the horizontal axis y because
> that's what Excel does). It's not as simple as making one axis
> invisible and changing the way that negative numbers are displayed.
> Since we would like to keep the age group labels in the middle of the
> pyramid, the y-axis would actually need to have two zeros, if that
> makes sense.
>
> Any ideas?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/6/2006 7:28:13 PM
Thanks--it looks like the "Arbitrary Axis Scale" is the bit that I'm
missing. I'll try this out soon.

Sarah

Bernard Liengme wrote:
> Have a look at Jon's example
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "sarah o." <sarah.oh.liver@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently
> > learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However,
> > I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have
> > some suggestions.
> >
> > My organization has been producing reports that contain population
> > pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it
> > didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use
> > two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to
> > the point where we would like our charts to be available online for
> > download. If we save the charts from Excel, of course each pyramid has
> > two charts that become GIFs, which is non-ideal. Here's an example of
> > what we have now:
> >
> > http://epdc.org/CPGraphs/HumanCapitalPyramid/Bolivia_curmale.png
> > http://epdc.org/CPGraphs/HumanCapitalPyramid/Bolivia_curfemale.png
> >
> > and here is the progress that I've made:
> >
> > http://epdc.org/junk/HCPsecondary.png
> >
> > The big remaining problem is that I need (or would really really like)
> > a single visible y-axis (I'm calling the horizontal axis y because
> > that's what Excel does). It's not as simple as making one axis
> > invisible and changing the way that negative numbers are displayed.
> > Since we would like to keep the age group labels in the middle of the
> > pyramid, the y-axis would actually need to have two zeros, if that
> > makes sense.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Ah, I tried to use the Arbitrary Axis technique described here:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html, but it seems
that XY charts and bar charts cannot be combined. How frustrating,
since bar charts are so much like column charts, which can be combined
with XY charts.

I appreciate the lead, even if it didn't pan out. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sarah

sarah o. wrote:
> Thanks--it looks like the "Arbitrary Axis Scale" is the bit that I'm
> missing. I'll try this out soon.
>
> Sarah
>

> Bernard Liengme wrote:
> > Have a look at Jon's example
> > http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
> > best wishes
> > --
> > Bernard V Liengme
> > www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> > remove caps from email

How about using the same technique to make a column tornado chart. Then you
might be able to add a second data series.
best wishes
--

> Ah, I tried to use the Arbitrary Axis technique described here:
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html, but it seems
> that XY charts and bar charts cannot be combined. How frustrating,
> since bar charts are so much like column charts, which can be combined
> with XY charts.
>
> I appreciate the lead, even if it didn't pan out. Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah
>
> sarah o. wrote:
>> Thanks--it looks like the "Arbitrary Axis Scale" is the bit that I'm
>> missing. I'll try this out soon.
>>
>> Sarah
>>

>> Bernard Liengme wrote:
>> > Have a look at Jon's example
>> > http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
>> > best wishes
>> > --
>> > Bernard V Liengme
>> > www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>> > remove caps from email

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/6/2006 10:27:12 PM
Hi,

If you just need a single image could you not group the charts before
creating an image file?

How often do you have to produce these charts and much does the data
change? It is possible to construct the chart you want using a single
chart and multiple data series. But, and you knew there was a but coming
;) , The value scale is not dynamic. Even with VBA code it could be
complex. The hard part positioning the data label holding the scale value.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

However, I've gotten it to work, and I'm pretty pleased about that. I
took Bernard's suggestion and followed the instructions for creating a
tornado chart, and then added an arbitrary axis using the Line chart
type. It took some fiddling and calculations to get everything scaling
properly, and with nice whole numbers on the axis, but I'm very happy
with the result.

In answer to your second question, I produce these charts very often as
our projection calculations change, and I produce them for 75
countries. So appropriate scaling is important. However, I think I've
figured out how to do it just using calculations in cells--no VBA.

Thanks for all the help,
Sarah

Andy Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you just need a single image could you not group the charts before
> creating an image file?
>
> How often do you have to produce these charts and much does the data
> change? It is possible to construct the chart you want using a single
> chart and multiple data series. But, and you knew there was a but coming
> ;) , The value scale is not dynamic. Even with VBA code it could be
> complex. The hard part positioning the data label holding the scale value.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Just in case anyone else finds it useful, here's the result:
http://epdc.org/junk/testpyramid.xls.

Sarah

Andy Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you just need a single image could you not group the charts before
> creating an image file?
>
> How often do you have to produce these charts and much does the data
> change? It is possible to construct the chart you want using a single
> chart and multiple data series. But, and you knew there was a but coming
> ;) , The value scale is not dynamic. Even with VBA code it could be
> complex. The hard part positioning the data label holding the scale value.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> sarah o. wrote:
> > Ah, I tried to use the Arbitrary Axis technique described here:
> > http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html, but it seems
> > that XY charts and bar charts cannot be combined. How frustrating,
> > since bar charts are so much like column charts, which can be combined
> > with XY charts.
> >
> > I appreciate the lead, even if it didn't pan out. Any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sarah
> >
> > sarah o. wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks--it looks like the "Arbitrary Axis Scale" is the bit that I'm
> >>missing. I'll try this out soon.
> >>
> >>Sarah

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

Looks like you did manage to combine the stacked bar chart with an XY
series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

> Just in case anyone else finds it useful, here's the result:
> http://epdc.org/junk/testpyramid.xls.
>
> Sarah
>
> Andy Pope wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you just need a single image could you not group the charts before
>> creating an image file?
>>
>> How often do you have to produce these charts and much does the data
>> change? It is possible to construct the chart you want using a single
>> chart and multiple data series. But, and you knew there was a but coming
>> ;) , The value scale is not dynamic. Even with VBA code it could be
>> complex. The hard part positioning the data label holding the scale
>> value.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> sarah o. wrote:
>> > Ah, I tried to use the Arbitrary Axis technique described here:
>> > http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html, but it seems
>> > that XY charts and bar charts cannot be combined. How frustrating,
>> > since bar charts are so much like column charts, which can be combined
>> > with XY charts.
>> >
>> > I appreciate the lead, even if it didn't pan out. Any other ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Sarah

>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/9/2006 4:30:40 AM
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for making your final solution available to view. Nice job on
that chart.

By the way as all your bars are on the primary axis you could change the
line series to an xy-scatter series. remove the primary value axis and
display the secondary value axis instead. You can then format the axis
using built-in dialogs.

Cheers
Andy

sarah o. wrote:
> Just in case anyone else finds it useful, here's the result:
> http://epdc.org/junk/testpyramid.xls.
>
> Sarah
>
> Andy Pope wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>If you just need a single image could you not group the charts before
>>creating an image file?
>>
>>How often do you have to produce these charts and much does the data
>>change? It is possible to construct the chart you want using a single
>>chart and multiple data series. But, and you knew there was a but coming
>>;) , The value scale is not dynamic. Even with VBA code it could be
>>complex. The hard part positioning the data label holding the scale value.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Andy
>>
>>sarah o. wrote:
>>
>>>Ah, I tried to use the Arbitrary Axis technique described here:
>>>http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html, but it seems
>>>that XY charts and bar charts cannot be combined. How frustrating,
>>>since bar charts are so much like column charts, which can be combined
>>>with XY charts.
>>>
>>>I appreciate the lead, even if it didn't pan out. Any other ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Sarah

>>--
>>
>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>http://www.andypope.info

0
andy9699 (3616)
12/9/2006 4:18:19 PM
Disregard my suggestion of using the secondary axis. Obviously you can't
do that as you have 2 origins on the scale, which is why you had to fake
the scale in the first place.

Cheers
Andy

Andy Pope wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> Thanks for making your final solution available to view. Nice job on
> that chart.
>
> By the way as all your bars are on the primary axis you could change the
> line series to an xy-scatter series. remove the primary value axis and
> display the secondary value axis instead. You can then format the axis
> using built-in dialogs.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> sarah o. wrote:
>
>> Just in case anyone else finds it useful, here's the result:
>> http://epdc.org/junk/testpyramid.xls.
>>
>> Sarah
>>
>> Andy Pope wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you just need a single image could you not group the charts before
>>> creating an image file?
>>>
>>> How often do you have to produce these charts and much does the data
>>> change? It is possible to construct the chart you want using a single
>>> chart and multiple data series. But, and you knew there was a but coming
>>> ;) , The value scale is not dynamic. Even with VBA code it could be
>>> complex. The hard part positioning the data label holding the scale
>>> value.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy

>>> --
>>>
>>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>> http://www.andypope.info

0
andy9699 (3616)

How to select series in chart?

Letter Writing assitant to be used with Prospects
Would like to see Letter Writing Assitant to be extended to be used with Prospects. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=73b8a531-e5c3-4d8b-91ae-5b1758b9f1a5&...

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Multiple stacked bar charts

transparent areas in charts?

printing 2 charts on single page

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Use exchange from a trusted domain

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Using INDIRECT within functions

How to use count for calls per hour

copy chart from Excel to Powerpoint

Anyone use Promys CRM software integrated with GP Dynamics?
Our company is considering using Promys as a CRM to create quotes and sales orders for the sales team. I am concerned about the integration with GP and what the pitfalls may be. Is anyone here currently using Promys with GP Dynamics? ...

Hi All, I'm creating a form that allows the user to pick a txt file (dialog) and then display the path and contents on the form. The code has been cobbled together as I found the pieces that worked, so bear with. I got the file picker working and displaying the file name on the form, but the file contents won't display. I had a feeling the problem had to do with importing a namespace (see the error in the code when I tried "Imports System.IO") or with a missing reference. Using Access 2003. References: VB for Apps, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Auto, MS V...

Text box in Embedded chart is cut off
Hi. I am having a problem with an embedded chart that appears differently in word versus how it appeared originally in Excel. Specifically, the top of the chart (in excel) has a text box that divides the chart (it is a vertical bar graph) into subcategories (labels at the bottom are used to specify what each bar signifies; but these are taken from the associated cell range). Originally, the chart was labeled by a single text box, separated by spaces: Lifetime Use 30-Day Use Heavy Use Antisocial Behavior When this chart is linked in word, the text displays like this (tho&...

difference between 2 lines in a scatter chart
I have created a scatter chart with two lines. The x axis is divided up into 10 parts and labeled 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. What I want to do is calculate the distance between the two lines between the x values of 40 and 60. Does anyone know how to to that? Thank you in advance. -- prd02003 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391727 How did you generate the lines? Are they from the data directly...

Chart help Hide Months
I have a data sheet that has historical data, I only want to chart 13 months instead of all the data. Is there a way to do this? hide em -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "lmossolle@nc.rr.com" <lmossollencrrcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEF19AB1-9092-4B52-868E-574232FC8AC0@microsoft.com... >I have a data sheet that has historical data, I only want to chart 13 >months > instead of all the data. Is there a way to do this? Hi, If your data increase each month have a look at Jon Peltier's example of dynamic na...