plotting multiple x y data on same graph

my friend is pulling his hair out trying to plot something
for his engineering class and i figured id ask on the
board..

he has a large amount of data, grouped in twos. theres
about ten sets of two. each set he wants plotted as x and
y respectively, but all on the same line graphy. I think
he laid it out wrongly but he w3ont hear any of it and its
been a few years since i was using excel myself.

so how does one plot it out as thus on the same graph.

data looks something like this

x  y   x   y   x   y
#  #   #   #   #   #
#  #   #   #   #   #
#  #   #   #   #   #  etc

thanks
0
anonymous (74722)

If we assume the first two columns (say A1:B4) are a single data series,
that columns 3 and 4 (say C1:D4 are a second data series, etc..
Select the first set of data, make an XY chart.
EITHER
Select and copy the second set of data (C1:D4), click on chart to activate
it, use Edit|PasteSpecial->New Series (make sue to specify first column is
x-values and top row is header)
Do same for other data series.
OR
Right click,on chart; select Source Data fro popup menu
Open Series tab and add the new series by filling in the boxes (it is easier
to use the mouse to select each range since you need Sheet1!B1:B4 ..etc)

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
"breegeek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my friend is pulling his hair out trying to plot something
> for his engineering class and i figured id ask on the
> board..
>
> he has a large amount of data, grouped in twos. theres
> about ten sets of two. each set he wants plotted as x and
> y respectively, but all on the same line graphy. I think
> he laid it out wrongly but he w3ont hear any of it and its
> been a few years since i was using excel myself.
>
> so how does one plot it out as thus on the same graph.
>
> data looks something like this
>
> x  y   x   y   x   y
> #  #   #   #   #   #
> #  #   #   #   #   #
> #  #   #   #   #   #  etc
>
> thanks

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Consolidate multiple entries
Hi All, I've a query data which has multiple entries in Column A and B and different info in Columns C-H. I'm trying to consolidate this data, but couldn't find a solution. Is there any way to delete blank fields and reduce the number of rows. I've over 45,000 rows data. A B C D E F G H 123 Zip EMP1 123 Zip EMP2 123 Last Name 123 Last Name EMP2 STAPLETON 112 ODS SC066 111208 112 ODS SC284 112 ODS 112 ODS SC176 I want the final data to look like this A B C D E F G H 123 Zip EMP1 EMP2 123 ...

2003 moves minus signs to trail data labels!
My "minus signs" are trailing their data labels on my excel charts. Instead of: -27.6% It's displaying: 27.6%- The numbers in the reference cells are formatted normally with the minus sign before the number (-27.6). My only thought is I just upgraded from 98 to 2003. I did not have this problem in 98. What do I do? John - Sounds like somebody applied a custom number format. Select the labels, press CTRL+1 to format, and on the Number tab, select one of the standard percentage formats. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Servic...

Data conversion Cam3
Has converted from Cam3 to RMS? Cam3 uses Btrieve 6.15. I have a prospect who is looking at switching to RMS from CAM. They want Inventory, Customer history and purchasing history. Any suggestions woulld be appreciated. Pat See if the program will export to a comma type file. The it is easy. "pat@arms" <patarms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9073BC10-884B-48F7-AEDB-AF58093F65CA@microsoft.com... > Has converted from Cam3 to RMS? Cam3 uses Btrieve 6.15. I have a > prospect who is looking at switching to RMS from CAM. > They want Inventory, Custo...

Data Menu
Trying to creat a Web Query. The book says to choose Data, Import External Data. I can not find the Data menu. Can you help me? Excell 2002, VBA 6.2 Gordon Top line between tools and window. Great start. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Gordon" <gwelch1938@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1171025326.647737.6040@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com... > Trying to creat a Web Query. The book says to choose Data, Import > External Data. I can not find the Data menu. Can you help me? > Excell 2002, VBA 6.2 > > Gordon > Gordon, Y...

CountIF multiple conditions
Hi, I have been searching for some help: I have multiple columns and 2000 rows with numbers I want the to count only those instances where the number 2 appears in column A AND the number 5 also appears in columns B Thanks for the help zach =sumproduct(--(a1:a2000=2),--(b1:b2000=5)) Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns (except in xl2007). =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses to 1's and 0's. Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.htm...

Chart with multiple tracks and scrolling
I want to display multiple data lines in a chart. Each data line's X range would be the same, the Y range may be different. Can I create multiple "tracks" in an excel chart to display the data lines with each "track" having it's own range and display option definitions? The tracks would be stacked on top of each other (not overlayed on each other). This is similar to stacking excel chart windows on top of each other and each chart includes one or more data lines with the same XY range and display definition. Also, my data range will be long (hundreds of f...

Passing data out of a dll
Hi all... I have a dll that needs to pass on some data back to the main program. But I'm not entirely sure how I can accomplish this and still keep the dll free from unnecessary dependencies. I thought of defining a struct inside the dll, and passing back a pointer to it (after the dll filled it up)... but then the main program would need to be made aware of the struct definition too. So then I thought of moving the struct definition into a separate header file and including that in both the main program and the dll. This, although solves the initial problem, would create an indirec...

Recovering my Outlook Data
Hi, I experienced a crash and had to reinstall Vista and all my applications. Fortunately I keep all my data on a separate physical drive. How can I restore my Outlook data stored in “D:\Outlook\Outlook.pst” and “D:\Oulook\Archive.pst” ? Can you also indicate how to configure Outlook to permanently point and save all data in the same location? I did this only ounce and I don’t remember how to achieve it again. Thanks, Answers are posted here daily. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www...

Money 2003 Deluxe
I have Money 2003 Deluxe version and want to back up to a CD periodically, but the option for backing up to a removable device only lists the A drive (3.5 floppy). How can I modify this so I can back up to the hard drive each time I exit Money and backup to the writable CD every week or so, without having to make changes in the backup options each time? Does anyone know if Money 2004 supports this, backing up to CDs? Thanks ...

add new data to specific columns in multiple worksheets
I have a very large spreadsheet that I'd like to break down into multiple worksheets. I have only three columns that I need repeated on each worksheet. When I add new data to these columns on sheet one, I'd like that data to be inserted into sheets 2 and 3 and so on. I know I can group the worksheets to accomplish this, however I'm turning the maintenance of this workbook over to someone who is completely computer illiterate and I need to make the process as simple as possible. Chances are excellent that the person who will be maintaining the data will forget to ungroup the...

Sum Multiple columns within Vlookup
Hi, i have ben trying to sum mutiple columns in one Vlookup. But its no working. Does anyone know a way of doing this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com i would use the following to sum varible columes =SUM(A1:A100,C1:C100) OR IF YOU ARE DOING ROWS =SUM(A1:D1,A5:D5) Vlookup is used to look at the value to the left of the cell then reur a value in that cell. i.e. if youse codes say ex means excel file you place the code in colum a then the formula looks this up in a lis and places excel file in colum -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com VLOOKUP is not int...

data lable don't appear in chart bars appear without lable
I have created six panel charts work fine but charts in panel don't lables for bars, value do appears. ...

Graph in Footer problems
I have a report that groups information by a few different descriptors. This report is several pages long, with each page looking identical. The only difference between each page is the group of data. I would like to have a graph that shows the summarized data in one of the footers, but can't seem to link the graph to show the appropriate data. I continually receive the error "Can't build a link between unbound forms" and receive a graph that isn't representative of the segmented data. I'm not much of a coder, but can dabble here and there. Any help would b...

Why can't I see the data labels I just added?
I have a stacked column chart I created last week with three data series. I added a fourth series today. I have data labels on the original three, and tried adding data labels to the fourth series. Excel acts like I added the labels by giving me a choice to format them, but I can't see them at all. I've tried changing the font color, but they don't show up at all. Three of the four data series are in consecutive columns B-D and the fourth series is in a non-consecutive column F. Does this have anything to do with it? I have Windows XP and Excel 2007 with SP1. What am I doin...

Multiple Attachments
I have created a newsletter in Microsoft Outlook which contains a few pictures and a table. For some reason, when I sent it, it contained a load of attachments, which I did not want. I have been editing the email regularly and every time I edit it the attachments double. It now contains over 60, but when I send the email I can't see that there are any attachments. What is going on? And how can I stop it? I am using Word as my email editor and keep saving the message to my Drafts folder. When I send it to test, I forward it. Is this the problem? ...

Unmerge so that the value goes into multiple Cells
Is there a way i can unmerge so that the value goes into all of the cells not just the top left cell? Select the merged cell Choose Format>Cells On the Alignment tab, remove the check mark from Merge cells Click OK With all the unmerged cells still selected, click in the formula bar Hold the Ctrl key and press the Enter key. mg wrote: > Is there a way i can unmerge so that the value goes into all of the cells not > just the top left cell? -- Debra Dalgleish Contextures http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

plot > 0 as green and < 0 as red
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Hi, In a column chart, how can I make the bars/columns where corresponding data point is positive (zero or above) plot in green (or other color) and columns where corresponding data point is negative, plot in red (or a different color)? Thanks! I was so happy when I finally figured it out that I wrote a tutorial: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/InvertIfNegative.html I haven't tried figuring it out for Excel 2007 yet, though. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://Pelt...

Creating a graph based on a chosen group of data
Hi, I have a list of data that contains multiple groups I am trying to create a graph that will show only the group that the user selects from a dropdown box. The data looks like this: Group Item Data A 1 100 A 2 120 A 3 130 B 4 75 B 5 62 B 6 110 The drop down box shows A or B, if the user selects A the graph should show 3 bars named 1, 2 and 3. If the user selects B the graph should show 3 bars named 4,...

Outlook data file (pst) is much larger than as reported by Outlook !
Hi all, My Outlook's pst file is 1.7GB, ie quite close to the danger zone (2GB). When I ask Outlook for the size of the folders and all other datas it only shows 1.1 GB total ! Is the file corrupted ? Maybe some remains of an older account ? Using scanpst.exe I see no error or problem in this file. Is there some kind of "purge" operation (other than brutal deletion) ? Claude-Albert NB : same problem seen in Outlook XP and Outlook 2003 for the same pst file. Aloha C-A Berseth, Have you tried compacting it yet? (right-click the root folder of the Personal Folders File, ...

Can't get DATA ANALYSIS to show up
In Excel 2002, I check the Analysis Toolpak box in Add-Ins, but Data Analysis won't show up in Tools. re-loading Excel doesn't help. It's wierd, since if I check Solver, it immedately shows up below Formula Auditing. The installation does have a Analysis sub-directory, with these files: analys32.xll atpvbaen.xla funcres.xla procdb.xla Any ideas ? Drew I've never had this problem, but I'd check to see if the addin is actually loading when you check it. Hit alt-F11 to get to the VBE (where macros live) hit ctrl-R to view the project explorer (much like windows expl...

Data model in CRM
Quickly, does anyone know which tables relate to call and development plans in CRM? ...

Office X compatible with Leopard?
Hi, just wondering if anyone can confirm whether Office X works without problems on Leopard? Thanks On 11/3/07 4:09 PM, in article 1194131365.911787.205870@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com, "drdeprez@mac.com" <drdeprez@mac.com> wrote: > > Hi, just wondering if anyone can confirm whether Office X works > without problems on Leopard? Thanks I haven't seen reports that it did not. However Office X is End of Life software. You can buy the Student and Teachers edition of 2004 now for $150 and get the $500 version of Office 2008 for $10. Microsoft is now offering Office ...

Multiple GALs
I've been trying to work with mutliple Global Address Lists for different companies under the same exchange server. Server: Windows Server 2003, Exchange Server 2003 I have 4 different GALs, and I want specific users to see specific GALs. I've removed the Authenticated Users & Everyone groups from all GALs permissions. Example: I setup a test user account that needs to be able to view 1 specific GAL. I have DENYed ALL permissions to this user in the other 3 GALs & allowed Full Access to the 1 GAL I want the user to get. The user still get's a different GAL in outlook. ...

Using cell data to referece another cell
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I don't really know what to call what I want to do, so the built-in Help function isn't really ... well, helpful. Okay. I have a list in column G (text). In column A I have a series of numbers. For the sake of argument, let's say A1 has "3", and G1 has "Red", G2 has "Orange", and G3 has "Yellow". I would like for *B1* to be able to read the value in A1, then copy the value from [Column G, Row (value of A1)]; so in this case B1 would read "Yellow". This would be even better if I can import the colum...

graphs and blank cells
I need help to make a graph showing data in a column containing cells made blank with ="" On the graph these blank cells represent zeros (this is when i use ="" to make cells blank) and i want them not to be shown (on the graph) - rather shown as a break (on the graph). This is only a problem when the blank cells are made blank by ="". If i make a graph showing entered numbers in a column where some are left blank i get a graph containing breaks as i want. This tells me that the problem may be the way i make cells blank, but i dont know how to do it otherwise.....