Plotting mean and standarddeviation (boxplot?)

Hi

Could anybody help me on this: I want to plot the mean and standard
deviation as a function of, say, time (I know that it will be discrete
in time), with the mean marked with a dot and mean+standard deviation as
a short horizontal line, connected to the mean-dot by a vertical line
and mean-standard deviation the same way.

It may be what is called a box plot, but I'm not sure...

Thank you!
/Mette

0
mdjo01 (3)

This will be a lot easier to do if you swap the layout.

Put the time in a column to the right of the mean values.  If you don't
want to mess your existing data set, use a copy.

Now, plot a XY Scatter chart using a subtype that includes a line.  The
means will be on the x-axis and the times will be on the y-axis.

Now, double-click plotted series, then select the 'X Error Bars' tab.
In there, in the Display section select the 'Both' option.  In the
'Error Amount' section, select the Custom option.  For both the + and -
values specify the same standard deviation values you have.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <3F740285.6010809@ist.auc.dk>, mdjo01@ist.auc.dk says...
> Hi
>
> Could anybody help me on this: I want to plot the mean and standard
> deviation as a function of, say, time (I know that it will be discrete
> in time), with the mean marked with a dot and mean+standard deviation as
> a short horizontal line, connected to the mean-dot by a vertical line
> and mean-standard deviation the same way.
>
> It may be what is called a box plot, but I'm not sure...
>
> Thank you!
> /Mette

0
tm_200310 (19)
9/26/2003 5:24:05 PM
Mette Dencker Johansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could anybody help me on this: I want to plot the mean and standard
> deviation as a function of, say, time (I know that it will be discrete
> in time), with the mean marked with a dot and mean+standard deviation
> as a short horizontal line, connected to the mean-dot by a vertical
> line and mean-standard deviation the same way.
>
> It may be what is called a box plot, but I'm not sure...
>
> Thank you!
> /Mette

I think you only need error bars, which are built into Excel.  If you have
an XY chart, select the series by clicking on it and from the menu Format |
Selected series | Y Error Bars tab.

Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

0
dvt (216)

what does this mean
for some unknown reason my OE keeps giving me this message when i go to post : Outlook Express could not post your message. Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Posting Failed ("From" Header not in Internet Syntax.)', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9 "MiND SpiKe" <ScReaM@mE.c0M> wrote in message news:uq8v4P6jFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > for some unknown reason my OE keeps giving me this message when i go to > post : > > > Outlook Express could not post your message. Protocol: NNTP, Server...

xpath fails : "Parameter" have special meaning ?
Is there something special in XML about the name "Parameter" ... I am not able to XPATH query for nodes named "Parameter" <Root> <Category CategoryID="1"> <Elements> <Element ElementID="1"></Element> <Element ElementID="2"></Element> <Element ElementID="3"></Element> </Elements> <Parameters> <Parameter ParameterID="1"></Parameter> <Parameter ParameterID="2"></Parameter> <P...

Plotting a chart
Hello, I have a user who sent this request: "Can you think of any way to draw the following kind of graph? Horizontal axis = X, vertical axis = Y. I want to plot 20 nations by X and Y. Each nation is plotted for two years, 1980 and 2005. Thus there would be 40 points on the graph, two for each nations (one for 1980, the other for 2005). I’d like the graph to show an arrow for each nation, running from its 1980 coordinates to its 2005 coordinates. It would be nice to label each arrow with the name of the nation." Here is an example of the data he is trying to plot: Ice...

What does -- mean?
I have been seeing "--" in formulae but cannot find an explanation of what it is or does. Example: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(B2:B13)=1), C2:C13) -- Ron P Sometimes you're the windshield:) Sometimes you're the bug:( See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html Multiple Condition Tests for a full explanation. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ron" <spam@kwic.com> wrote in message news:O6wBgFtEFHA.548@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I have been seeing "--" in formulae but cannot find an explanati...

Legacy driver conversion needs means to identify process sending I
I am still converting a massive and old WDM driver. We found where the old driver copies the Irp->Tail.Overlay.OriginalFileObject in order to identify which process sent the WDFREQUEST. While inspecting MSDN's docs on the IRP struct, we noted that the OriginalFileObject member of Tail.Overlay is not recommended for driver usage. So here is my question: What is the ideal way for a KMDF driver to determine which instance of our DLL (which user mode app) sent the WDFREQUEST? What our driver must do is enforce that one and only one app open certain items like channels o...

" " means in IF function
I'm trying to understand what does this mark mean " " in IF function (Logical test). This has been done in many Excell worksheets but I could not find the author to ask him. If any one can understand the meaning from the examples below, please let me know or provide any helpfull material. =IF(B8-$D$4>0.05,B8-$D$4,IF(A8="","",0)) =IF(E8="","",IF(ABS(D8-E8)<0.05,0,D8-E8)) Thanks The test A8="" is simply asking whether or not there is anything in that particular cell. -- Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Acce...

What does this mean?
In Bills and Deposits, a ~ is occuring after the name of one bill? How do I get rid of it? Thanks. It means you've set the amount as varying in the scheduled transaction. "Marty" <mboggs@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:uyAtYZrvFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > In Bills and Deposits, a ~ is occuring after the name of one bill? How do I > get rid of it? Thanks. > > It means that you have set the bill as fluctuating and the amount shown in the bill & deposit window is an estimate. Go into the settings for that bill and make it a fixed amount. T...

Filtering data for scatter plot with chart labels
I have created an x-y scatter with 500 rows of data. Each row contains 4 fields: Segment, Name, X-Value, Y-Value. I am filter on "Segment" to limit the number of points displayed on the chart. Now I would like to label the visible points with the "Name" field. I have tried using both Bovey's X-Y Chart Labeler and the J-Walk Chart Tools. But in both cases, after applying the filter to the data, the graph shows the correct points with random labels. For instance, the filter might limit the data to rows 4, 8, 15 and 30, but the labels are from rows 1, 2, 3, and 10. ...

Range and mean on chart
I have the mean values on my chart in the form of a line graph, but would like the range (min and max) to be displayed as a line above and below each mean. How do you do this? NickyK Here's a link to a post on how to add horizontal lines to an XY chart. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm Kelly http://rocesstrends.com "NickyK" <NickyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36244C13-8926-47B9-A955-2482E83DF403@microsoft.com... >I have the mean values on my chart in the form of a line graph, but would > like the range (min and max)...

what does the broom icon mean and how do i get rid of it?
the broom icon shows in some instances. what does it mean and how do i remove it? EXCEL 2007 If you mean the Format Painter try the following:- Home main tab Clipboard group click on Format Painter to turn it off or on If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "cheryl" wrote: > the broom icon shows in some instances. what does it mean and how do i > remove it? In 2007............Button>Excel Options>Advanced>Cut, copy and paste. In 2003............Tools>Options>Edit Uncheck the options which display ...

Warning message: "Fixed Objects will move" What is its meaning?
I get the warning message Fixed Objects will move in an Office 2000 Excel spreadsheet. This occurs when filtering. To proceed with the filter operation I have to answer OK to the dialog box many many times. I cannot find any references to this warning on the web or in Excel help. Does anyone have an explanation? Specifically - What are these fixed objects? How can I identify them and to where they have been moved? How can I avoid the warning and the need to press <return> 100's of times? Regards -- John The following MSKB article may help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Shee...

Probability plot / boxplots
Does someone have an idea how to create a probability and a box plot in Excel? I normally do it in my statistical software, but as I'm closing a project, I would like people to be able to do that in excel. Thanks This page shows a number of charts used for statistics: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html _______ "Michel B.&q...

X,Y plotting
does anyone know how I can merge two arrays to form (x,y) co-ordinates ploting a single line rather than ploting the two arrays as series against each other as the chart wizard wants me to do? Thanks, Bob Use a "XY (Scatter)" instead of a "Line" chart Dan E "Bob" <robloynes@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:0e3801c35134$88dc8b10$a601280a@phx.gbl... > does anyone know how I can merge two arrays to form (x,y) > co-ordinates ploting a single line rather than ploting the > two arrays as series against each other as the chart > wizard wan...

0x800ccc0f Where do I find what this means?
Like a few other posts I've read tonight, my new Dell suddenly stopped sending emails, but continues receiving, through Outlook 2000. We have cable with a Linksys Broadband Router, Norton is not running. We've spent many hours checking, re-profiling, uninstalling, re- installing. This has been going on for a week. Cable ISP repeatedly says it's a software problem. I'm concerned because these posts regarding sending problems are getting no responses--how do we all resolve this if it is a software problem? How do we even find out what the heck these error messages ...

3D plots #2
I have 3D surface a chart, such that there are about 40 series all of which use a common X axis text column. hence the Source Data Range reads: =normalised!$B$10:$AL$727 and an example series would be: Name:=normalised!$C$10 Values:=normalised!$C$10:$C$727 Category (X) axis labels: =normalised!$B$10:$B$727 so for each series replace C with D,E,F etc... I now want it to look at more rows, i.e. the Source Data Range reads: =normalised!$B$10:$AL$840 but if I make this change it mucks everything up such that there are only three series, the first one for examples looks like this: Name=norma...

Plotting zero's on graphs
Hi I have a sheet setup as Jan-Dec and underneath are values for each month which are linked to another sheet. In the graph from that data, it plots all the points (jan to dec) because the links show as zero's Is it possible for excel to NOT plot zero's (the links) on the graph ? Thanks in advance Paul You can use an IF formula with NA(). For example: =IF(B2="",NA(),B2) The chart will interpolate over the #N/A errors. To hide these errors, you can use conditional formatting. http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Errors Paul Watkins wrote: >...

How can I use excel to produce box and whisker plots
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "myrtlefordsimon" <myrtlefordsimon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA1F02DA-2DA9-420C-A7D6-55F50E72B526@microsoft.com... > ...

flat excel plot
When I plot in excel and remove the title and leave it blank, the entire graph is completely flat. When i put any title in the graph shows up as it should. Can someone please help. how do i fix this and why is it doing this? Thanks Richard - What do you mean by "flat"? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ richard wrote: > When I plot in excel and remove the title and leave it > blank, the entire graph is completely flat. When i put > any title in the graph shows up as it should....

Combining a Surface Chart With a Scatter Plot
Is it possible to combine surface charts with any other chart types? I want to draw a two dimensional line (the third dimension would be zero) across a surface but cannot figure out how. Thanks Adam Bush Hi, I don't think there is a solution for this in Excel. I suppose you could make a separate line chart and overlay it, but that's problamatic. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "adambush4242@hotmail.com" wrote: > Is it possible to combine surface charts with any other chart types? I want > to draw a two dimensional...

Excel Incorrectly Plotting Non-sequential Data Points
I am plotting a chart in Excel 2003 using non-sequential data points as shown below. Time Value 0 0.07 2 0.09 4 0.14 6 0.10 9 0.08 10 0.09 Excel, however, plots them in order as if they were: Time Value 1 0.07 2 0.09 3 0.14 4 0.10 5 0.08 6 0.09 When I look at the Source Data, it highlights the right data, but just seems to plot it incorrectly. Could this be a formatting error? Any help is VERY appreciated. Aaron, Select both columns (not j...

Plotting a XY scatter plot without having an XY column

Does plots have interpolations in Excel?
Hi all, I am still using Excel 2003. I want to plot some 2D data, does it have interpolation in plotting? Or I will have to do it by myself? Thanks a lot With an XY graph you can choose either a straight line between points, or a curved line, or just the points displayed. -- David Biddulph "cfman" <comtech.usa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Qhkfa$bHHA.4888@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I am still using Excel 2003. I want to plot some 2D data, does it have > interpolation in plotting? Or I will have to do it by myself? > > Thanks a lot ...

How do I plot data on a map in excel
I am using Microsoft office standard 2003. I wish to plot information on a local area map within the Clapham Park area, SW2. Hi, There is no built-in functionality for this. You would need a dedicated Mapping program with UK based information. You can however simulate the chart. If you have an image of the map you could use that as the plotarea pattern. You could then use a xy-scatter graph to plot information over the map. You would have to determine the coordinates by trial and error. Cheers Andy Byron wrote: > I am using Microsoft office standard 2003. I wish to plot informat...

plotting column charts by variable
I have some data I need to plot in a column chart The variable activeE6 has three columns that show small (49%) med (33%) and large (19%) The variable controlE6 has three columns that show small (29%) med (58%) and large (13%). Which ever way I have the data gathered or change the data series I get a column graph showing the both the small bars together, both the med bars together and both the large bars together. What I want is all the activeE6 together showing the small, med and large bars then all the controlE6 together showing the small, med and large. Is this possible in Excel? I...

using multipe source data to plot on one chart
I have monthly data across several years. I want to chart SOME of the months. The monthly data are in two different excel files. Can I create a chart using some source data from one file and other source data from a second file? IF the answer is that I have to use a pivot chart/table, I have tried that and the pivot chart/table seems to ONLY plot aggregate data; that is, I cannot figure out how a pivot table/chart can plot each month's data separately. THanks for any help. This works for different workbooks as well as for different worksheets: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHo...