Plotting a 3D Bar Chart

Hi everyone,

I am doing a research on international oil and gas trade. The data table
that I have looks like a typical train schedule. Each row represents oil
exporting countries; each column represents oil importing countries; and
the intersection between row and column represents volume of oil trade.

I found similar chart online but don't know exactly how to create it or
even to describe it. I have attached the screen shot of the chart.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
ZewSays

|Filename: Inter-Area Movements of Oil.jpg                          |
|Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274|

ZewSays

You might try an "Area Blocks" (xl2003) or a "Column" chart with a "3-D Column" sub type (xl2010).
My belief is nobody will understand it, but it could look impressive.

--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA  .

"ZewSays" <ZewSays.952a009@excelbanter.com>
wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am doing a research on international oil and gas trade. The data table
> that I have looks like a typical train schedule. Each row represents oil
> exporting countries; each column represents oil importing countries; and
> the intersection between row and column represents volume of oil trade.
>

> I found similar chart online but don't know exactly how to create it or
> even to describe it. I have attached the screen shot of the chart.
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> ZewSays

> |Filename: Inter-Area Movements of Oil.jpg                          |
> |Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274|

> ZewSays

Update a chart immediately after inputting data into data source
Is there anyway to have Excel automatically update an existing chart after putting new / changed data into the source? Or do I have to keep going through the process of creating a new chart everyday I change / add data. MELMEL, What have you checked in your set up so far and is the chart embedded or on a sep. sheet? Is it raw or calculated data that you are trying to update? Make sure that you data range includes the cells that you are updating. It should automatically update. Yonke "MELMEL" wrote: > Is there anyway to have Excel automatically update an existing chart...

MS Outlook 2003: Need horizontal scroll bar for navigation pane
Consider providing the feature above in Outlook 2003 as I find this feature as in earlier versions of outlook to be useful. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=785c73f3-b6aa-454c-bae2-d9938603...

sales area chart
I’m wondering if it is possible to build some kind of an area chart so I can display areas of major sales distribution, like in a temperature chart map, and assign colors to ranges. ...

Scroll Bar or Spinner 0 to 100 by Hundredths
I'm trying to get a spinner control or scroll bar to increase the values of a cell from 0 to 100 by hundredths and I'm stuck. I've been trying using 2 cells and some creative formulas but haven't found the right combination. Anyone have a solution jump to mind? -- Paul Cross I put a scrollbar from the Forms Toolbar on a worksheet. I rightclicked on it and chose Format Control On the Control Tab, I set the minimum value to 0 and the maximum to 10000. And assigned A1 to be the linked cell. Then I put this formula in B1: =a1/100 It seemed to work ok. paul_cross@armtech.com ...

Org Chart Colours on Levels
Hi there I am drawing up an org chart for a large organisation. The org chart goes down about 10 layers from top management to bottom. I noticed that the ORG chart Wizard, (importing Excel Data) automatically makes the Executive box shaded and managers also appear to have a double frame. I then Noticed I could also change the "org chart theme" between "Classic" and "Contemporary" What I actually wish to do is colour each level of the org chart in a different colour (automatically). Is there an easy way to do this? Regards C What version and edition ...

How do I change the order of how excel builds a chart?
I am trying to build a bar chart and when I select the data source the chart works, but the information is plotted in reverse order. I am using Excel 2002 SP3. The help files indicate that I can reverse the order, but I cannot select any axis. What happens when you try to select the axis? A work around would be to post the data reversed. and plot the data that way, but not being able to select the axis sounds worrisome. "big al" wrote: > I am trying to build a bar chart and when I select the data source the chart > works, but the information is plotted in reverse order...

How do I graph 2 bars with 2 different axes?
I am trying to create a graph with two bars (instead of a bar and a line) that has a secondary axes and cannot figure out how to accomplish this in excel. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Aristech Dave" <Aristech Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D81F472E-28DB-4F40-A305-BF1996EF3D8A@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a graph with two bars (instead of a bar and a line) > that has a ...

Grouped Floating Chart
Hello I am trying to create a floating chart that clusters various asse classes together by time period, i.e. I want a stock and bond floatin chart for 1 year, 5 year etc. I can do the floating bar chart, but cannot get my charts to cluster together. Thank -- mcneill2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mcneill25's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2684 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40084 Something like this, but with the bottom columns invisible to give the appearance o...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

Plotting data in Excel #2
Is it possible to generate a cell range mathmatically using formulas and "Concatenate" in one reference cell, and then use the contents of the cell to define the data range for an X-Y plot? In other words, instead of manually selecting the data range to be plotted using a pick box, I want the reference the contents of a cell that has computed the data range. Thanks -- James ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message p...

Can I set a Default Chart so I dont have to keep reformatting new charts?

convert saved chart in sheet to object
I have saved a chart in sheet. Is it possible to change it to object. The reason to do this is that I want to copy the cart to ppt with high quality. Is there any way for good transfer of sheet-saved chart from Excel to ppt? -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan Hi, Have a read on Jon Peltier's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html Cheers Andy Khoshravan wrote: > I have saved a chart in sheet. Is it possible to change it to object. > The reason to do this is that I want to copy the cart to ppt with high > quality. Is there any way for good transfer...

formula bar is no where to be found
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel ormula bar is no where to be found - even after pressing it in the view menu...help! It never appears... Try going to View menu > then to menus and tool bars click on it and choose reset don't find reset possibility under toolbars... Try deleting the following folder: ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!) And: ~ Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist All Microsoft Applications must be quit when you do this. Hope this helps On 14/05/10 11:23 AM, in ar...

Bubble Chart Colour
I have some bubble charts that I set custom colours for by using a VB script. Some bubbles (those added later) appear a white colour despite their setting showing them as green) No matter what I do in the Format data series dialogue box, they will not change colour! please help! ...

Saving Charts
I make a few charts over some statistics and was wondering if there is any way for me to save the charts as an image so I can put on a website. Hi lisa, Here is a collection of information on the subject. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2gif.htm I also have an addin to make exporting charts and pictures easier. http://www.andypope.info/vba/gex.htm Cheers Andy lisa wrote: > I make a few charts over some statistics and was wondering if there is any way for me to save the charts as an image so I can put on a website. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Formula Charts
Looking for someone (preferably in the Denver area) who can build 3-4 Charts for me (from a spreadsheet). Requires formula knowledge. -- Thx! Duane duane@commtools.com ...

setting chart length & width in centimeters
Moving to a new wider PC with improved resolution, i need to set the chart width and length (in centimeters) using Excel2003, but unfortunately i cannot re-find the correct screen to that shows this measurement. This box also has options for moving, locking and sizing the chart with cells. thanx, Freddy -- the Yukon Hold Shift while you click on the chart, which selects the shape that contains the chart. Then format this shape (shortcut: Ctrl+1, numeral one). You'll find all this and more in that dialog. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solution...

Disable Editing tool bars
I posted the other day and got some direction. Thank you Peter Ellis. Now I need some help with what I found. I found a set of macros that should disable on opening, and enable on closing. The problem is they don't work and I am not literate in macro syntax. I have researched and all I have found says they should work. Here is what I am trying to work with: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled = True Application.CommandBars("Standard").Enabled = False Application.CommandBars("Formatting").Enabled...

Production posibilities frointer chart
how i can create PPF chart using excel? thak you. Hi you need a PDF convert (e.g. Adobe Actobat). After installing this program you should have the PDF converter as option in your printer dialog -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ranko" <Ranko@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3CC32F12-9E7B-43B5-ACC8-6F892809CA08@microsoft.com... > how i can create PPF chart using excel? > > thak you. Enter the data in two columns on a worksheet Select a cell in the table Click the Chart Wizard button on the toolbar Select the XY (Scatter) chart type ...

Contacts main title bar grayed out?
Greetings..here is a screen cap: http://www.alanreeves.com/bohler.jpg (no idea why there are two side by side, but ignore that) If you look at the main line for each contact, you see there is no main "title" for the contacts. What happened was this: a client using Outlook 2000 hit the 2gb limit, and the pst file was corrupted. Used the MS pst file compaction utility to shave some data off, but there was still some corruption apparently. Upgraded to Outlook 2003 to at least be able to get to the data, but there were no Contacts nor Calendar. Did a one-way sync from her Treo, wh...

Pie Charts in Excel
I am making a pie chart in Excel and my percentages are overlapping and I have seen people have lines coming out of their pie slices but I not know how to do it. Can someone help me? Hi, If you are referring to the Leader lines, those between the slice and the data label then you need to check the Show Leader Lines option. Select pie, CTRL+1 to display format dialog. On the Data labels Tab is the option. Cheers Andy DevinJ2 wrote: > I am making a pie chart in Excel and my percentages are overlapping and I > have seen people have lines coming out of their pie slices but I not kno...

Embedding charts in pivot tables
I have a pivot table showing sales people in the first column, products in the second and sales figures by quarter along the top (pretty standard!). I can create a chart from this info and step through an employee at a time to see the data. I would love to be able to embed a chart into the table, under the employee name to show the data graphically, so that the result would be a table with a series of charts. This would be dynamic so that if I switched off certain employees from the dropdown filter at the top of the pivot table, their info and chart would disappear, reappearing if I switche...

Plot Area Resizes on Print
Hi All, Using Excel 2000 / Windows 2000 I have a very strange problem with the plot area of a chart. Whenever I try to print or print preview the chart, the plot area squashes up into a very small area. This cannot be resized and the only way to get the chart back is to close the file without saving and re-opening. There are a number of other charts that are exactly the same but pointing to different data. These other charts do not have this problem. I have solved the problem by creating a user-defined chart and applying that. This seems to stop this happening. However, I do not know why the...

Adding a line to a bar chart
I am using Excell 2003. I have a chart with 4 years of Sales $$ information in a vertical bar chart. Now I have to add a Goal line to the chart for the current year's information. I changed the chart to a "custom line - column plotted on 1 axis". But the graph turned into 3 columns and 2 lines. The the $$ infor for the current year and turned from a bar into a line. How do I change this line back into a bar? Can anyone help me. I am on a tight schedule to complete a series of these types of changes today. Aurora This is a combination chart, and believe me, once you k...

How do I do individual error bars for bar graphs?
I'm stuck, I can't seem to be able to get excel to put in individual values for my error bar I want to put on my bar graph. How do I rectify this? On Fri, 4 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Slyther <Slyther@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I'm stuck, I can't seem to be able to get excel to put in individual values >for my error bar I want to put on my bar graph. How do I rectify this? What is it that you're doing to try to achieve this? You can't select a bar and choose a value in the error bar tab; that will always affect all the bars in...