Plotting a 3D Bar Chart

Hi everyone,

I am doing a research on international oil and gas trade. The data table
that I have looks like a typical train schedule. Each row represents oil
exporting countries; each column represents oil importing countries; and
the intersection between row and column represents volume of oil trade.

I found similar chart online but don't know exactly how to create it or
even to describe it. I have attached the screen shot of the chart.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
ZewSays

|Filename: Inter-Area Movements of Oil.jpg                          |
|Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274|

ZewSays

You might try an "Area Blocks" (xl2003) or a "Column" chart with a "3-D Column" sub type (xl2010).
My belief is nobody will understand it, but it could look impressive.

--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA  .

"ZewSays" <ZewSays.952a009@excelbanter.com>
wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am doing a research on international oil and gas trade. The data table
> that I have looks like a typical train schedule. Each row represents oil
> exporting countries; each column represents oil importing countries; and
> the intersection between row and column represents volume of oil trade.
>

> I found similar chart online but don't know exactly how to create it or
> even to describe it. I have attached the screen shot of the chart.
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> ZewSays

> |Filename: Inter-Area Movements of Oil.jpg                          |
> |Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274|

> ZewSays

Attaching Chart to Email?
I have an Excel spreadsheet, and derived from it 5 charts. How can I attach one of the charts to an email to send to someone? (I know how to attach the whole spreadsheet, and the associated charts, but I don't want to send the spreadsheet and the other 4 charts, because they contain data not appropriate to share with the email recipient.) Thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Hi CWLee Try this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/mai...

Copy Charts
I know this is simple, but I cannot remember how. I want to copy a chart into another worksheet, but do not want to keep the links, just the picture and data as it is. Select the chart, hold Shift while clicking on the Edit menu, choose Copy Picture, and use the On Screen and Picture options. Go to the place you want the chart image to appear, and use plain old Paste (Ctrl+V). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "archsmooth" <archsmooth@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

bar chart prints 1 unwanted horizontal row of dots & tick marks?
Office Excel 2007. Anyone encounter this? The sheet I'm printing is 19 columns wide by 69 rows high with portrait orientation. Bar chart is set between row 25 and 47 horizontally. The x-axis is increasing months. 2 vertical bars are set between the major gridlines. It so happens that the chart vertical gridlines are very close to lining up with the spreadsheet cells above/below the chart. Print preview shows nothing unusual, but when printed, 1 row right throught the middle of the chart has 1 to 2 dots and a character high tick mark appear to the right of each right most(second) bar...

Stacked Bar Chart Over 100%
Currently have a stacked bar chart showing to 100% (the plan) by 8 clients, how can I show that 3 of the 8 will be over 100% (greater than plan)? Brian, If this is a normalized chart (the one on the right in the chart types), it will always be 100%. You'll have to use the middle one. Are these percentages (as they appear in the worksheet)? If so, use the regular stacked chart (the middle one), and the axis should adjust to accomodate whatever your greatest percentage is. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Brian" <Bri...

Save chart (that's on a chart sheet) to html file?
In Excel 2007, is it no longer possible to publish a chart that is on object in a worksheet to an html file? In Excel 2003, you had the option to choose a chart as the item to publish. That no longer seems to be available. ...

Aligning tick marks and labels on line charts or scatter charts
I have the following data: X Y 1 0.2 2 0.8 3 0.5 4 0.7 I would like to plot it using a line chart or a scatter chart with X on the horizontal axis and Y on the vertical. I would like the X range of the graph to go from 0.5 to 4.5, so that the first and last point are NOT on the extreme edges of the graph. I would like the X axis to be labelled only at 1, 2, 3 and 4. I would like a tick mark aligned with each of these labels. Is this possible in Excel? Here is what I am finding... Using a Line chart: Option 1. The range is correct (0.5 to 4.5), and the labels are correct, but the tick marks ...

Charting data by date
Hi, I'm new to Excell 2002, and have made worksheets with data refreshed from the Web. However I can't get it to show up on a chart with dates on the X axis. Have the axis formatted OK, but how does it collect its data? Have tried a simple worksheet with manually entered data & the dates entered in column A, but still can't get a chart to work. ...June. Jon Peltier has a charting tutorial that may help you get started: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html When you manually enter data and dates, what problems do you have with the chart? June wrote: >...

VB Chart > Excel
I have a vb program that pulls data from a database and displays it onscreen. This includes a chart - is there a quick way of bascially copying this chart into an excel spreadsheet via code from my program? I have already got my listboxes and so on to fill in their info onto a new blank sheet, but the chart is also going to be handy. I assume one way is to copy all the data from the chart to a hidden sheet and use that maybe, but I am hoping I can do something simpler... Ta, James. James - Make a template that has some dummy data and the chart you like, already formatted. Create a new fil...

regarding allocation of chart series point colors
Greetings and thanks for your time I have labels A,B,C,D and data series of values a%, b%, c%, d%. This series is sorted into ascending order of values and feeds a bar chart (ie a Pareto chart). I would like to display this data also on a Pie chart, but would like to keep the same series point color for A,B etc. regardless of how the updated values change the rank order (say, C,B,A,D). Presently, if say, point A is dark blue at the start of the order and then after updating the % scores point A moves down to 3rd in the order, point A will take on another color. Any advice will be appreci...

ow to create comparison chart using text as value data?
lplease help me. I am trying to set up a comparison chart of 3 computers cost and features! I cannot figure out how to use the features as values on the x or y axis says data range is to complex so cant select rows or columns. I am trying to enter the features as my source data too bungled dont know what to do term project is now overdue and I am stressing out!~ Dont want to fail. please help me!do i have to redo the whole chart or what any suggestions and demonstration would be deeply appreciated. thanks, Dee Johnson The first thing you need to do is think how the chart should look. Wh...

Can't see my Gantt bars
For some reason, I can no longer see my Gantt bars in the Gantt view. All other views seem to be working fine. If it is a setting of some kind, it is not one I've knowingly changed. Help! Never mind... shut down, rebooted, can now see them. Go figure. "mdoster" wrote: > For some reason, I can no longer see my Gantt bars in the Gantt view. All > other views seem to be working fine. If it is a setting of some kind, it is > not one I've knowingly changed. Help! ...

hOW DO I CREATE A TWIN BAR CHART?

automatically adjust charts
I am always charting 2 years of data. I have 2 spread sheets, one has multi charts and the other is all the data for the charts. I'm tracking about 6 different data points in a line chart. Each month the data sheet gets the previous months production data. I'd like to have it automatically adjust the charts. Drop the oldest month and add the newest month to the chart. That would save me the time of manually updating the charts. -- Baltimore Ravens Ravens Fan: You can make things a lot easier for yourself by creating a dynamic chart that plots the 24 months of data, or whateve...

I want to show chart data in order of bars, not row names
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have sorted the source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and the lowest value items at the bottom. For example, if rows were Apple, Banana, Guava, Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the greatest value items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1 apple). Yet the chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either ascending or descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca to Apple...

Best Line chart to use?
I'm trying to create a chart that shows the run time (in minutes) o data backups at work. They start at various times from 00:00 to 23:59, with varying lengths. 3-D looks the best on paper, where it seems best to have the 24 hou clock across the x-axis with the run time as the Z-axis. I then need t somehow have each server running 'into' the graph for the run time This allows me to have a few 'stacked' on top of each other in cas multiple servers all start to backup at say, 03:00. Only I can't get it to work..lol Can you suggest a more relevant chart type, or if not...

Chart Zoom and Scrolling
I writing an application that will allow a user to zoom in on a chart page. However, the zoom function defaults to upper left edge of chart. How can I cause the initial view to be based on the upper right edge of chart. During zoom-in the scroll bars appear but I don't know how to move them in VBA assuming that is the way I should tackle this problem ...

CHtmlView, CCustomOccManager, and disabling the context menu and 3d borders #2
Hello, I am trying to create a CustomControlSite that can hook into the basic operations of a CHtmlView. I want to disable the context menu and also get rid of the 3d border. Ive checked out this article, and followed it to a T. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q236312 It seems like my COleControlSite* CreateSite(COleControlContainer* pCtrlCont) is not getting called. If I can figure out how to get this working, I think the rest will fall into place. I also created a standalone project and followed the directions again, just to make sure something else in my code w...

Chart bug? Excel XP
I've been running into a situation that continues to crash my Excel. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I often create text boxes that link to a cell in the worksheet to pull in a special message or label into the chart. I do this by clicking on the formula bar, typing "=" and then using the mouse to navigate to the cell. (Typing the cell reference doesn't seem to work.) I have found that if the cell I am referring to is a one-cell, named range, Excel crashes. In this case, I'm better off navigating to a near-by, unnamed cell and then editing the ...

contour plots
Is there an easy way to plot a 2-D contour chart? I have data that takes x1 and x2 as input and i want to show z in contours. john Try a surface chart. Two sub-types take the view from above giving contours. See the tushar-mehta.com site. >-----Original Message----- >Is there an easy way to plot a 2-D contour chart? I have data that >takes x1 and x2 as input and i want to show z in contours. > >john >. > > Is there an easy way to plot a 2-D contour chart? I have data that > takes x1 and x2 as input and i want to show z in contours. Take look at 3DField ...

Rotating a Text Box in a Chart
Is there a way to rotate general text on a chart? There does not appear to be a way to rotate a text box. Thanks, Paul If it is in a cell then you should be able to right click on cell and goto format cell then click on alignment tab and you can rotate upto 90 degrees up or down. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to rotate general text on a chart? There >does not appear to be a way to rotate a text box. > >Thanks, >Paul >. > There is some basic capability. Double-click the textbox, and in the resulting Format Text Box dialog box, click the Alignment...

How to reduce Excel worksheet view and find horizontal scroll bar
I can't see the bottom of my Excel workbook including the tabs and the scroll bar. What can I do to fix it. Carolyn, Perhaps:- Tools|options|view check - sheet tabs and horizontal scrollbar. Mike "CarolynC" wrote: > I can't see the bottom of my Excel workbook including the tabs and the scroll > bar. What can I do to fix it. First of all.........under Tools>Options>View are sheet tabs and scroll bars enabled? If so, is the window maximized? Can you grab the Title bar and move the window up? If not, try Window>Arrange. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP ...

XML generating excel charts
Hi, I have an ASP webapplication that exports a dataset to an excel workbook via XML. My question is if it would be possible to write XML-code that automatically draws charts in Excel based on the data exported. Let's say I have one DataTable with 2 columns. Then I want to export the raw data to sheet1 in excel while sheet2 plots the data from sheet1 only using the supplied XML code. What you want to do is to put the data into a workbook that has a template with a chart already setup and posibly has a macro already built into the workbook. XML data is really ascii...

Add Path to Title Bar
How can I add path and file name to title bar of Excel 2002 workbook? Please let me know. Thanks in advance. Jack, Take a look at: Application.Caption ActiveWindow.Caption Application.Caption = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ThisWorkbook.Name Activewindow.Caption = "" John Jack Mills wrote: > How can I add path and file name to title bar of Excel > 2002 workbook? Please let me know. Thanks in advance. John, I'm new enough to Excel 2002 that I haven't any idea where to start adding your suggested information to all of my workbooks. ...

Wasp WWS Bar Code Scanner
I have RMS 1.3 operations and I would like to know if this scanner is easy to set up at the POS. We have big items and the scanners we use at the register is wired. ...

Graph to create a Gant Chart
Here's my data: Task Start Date Duration (in days) ------ ------------ -------------------- A 01-Dec-2005 1 B 02-Dec-2005 3 C 05-Dec-2005 4 D 09-Dec-2005 2 What I'm hoping I can create in excel is a basic graph (in the form of a basic Gant Chart) that would have the X-axis be the 'Date', the Y-axis represent the task, and the plotted data be a 'floating' horizontal bar graph of duration. For example... Task 'A' would be the highest bar on the Y-axis, starting on Dec. 1 ext...