Plotting 1 curve from 2 separate x-axis data

I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily.
After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December.  Plots
easily.
These data are on 2 separate worksheets.

Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year.  The first 6 months is
easy.  How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without having
to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet?

Not sure I explained this very well, but ---

Dave

0
djbahb (67)

The easiest way is to have both sets of data on one (a new?) worksheet. Then
you can plot as with one or two series. Copy and Paste (or Copy Paste
Special as Values) to a new worksheet is a quick process.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily.
>After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December.  Plots
>easily.
> These data are on 2 separate worksheets.
>
> Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year.  The first 6 months
> is easy.  How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without
> having to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet?
>
> Not sure I explained this very well, but ---
>
> Dave

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/28/2008 6:18:19 PM
OK Bernard-
I guess I knew that - just hoping there was some other clever way.

And thank you

Dave

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> The easiest way is to have both sets of data on one (a new?) worksheet.
> Then you can plot as with one or two series. Copy and Paste (or Copy Paste
> Special as Values) to a new worksheet is a quick process.
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>>I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily.
>>After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December.
>>Plots easily.
>> These data are on 2 separate worksheets.
>>
>> Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year.  The first 6 months
>> is easy.  How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without
>> having to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet?
>>
>> Not sure I explained this very well, but ---
>>
>> Dave

0
djbahb (67)

------=_NextPart_000_01FB_01C9693A.1ABF8AF0

Hi,

Assume that your data is in columns A:B of sheet1  and sheet2.

1.  Extend the dates on sheet1 through Dec 31, 2008 for example.  Insert =
blank rows above the date on sheet2 and enter the dates Jan 1, 2008 and =
fill down so that your dates end with Jun 30, 2008 and the next row =
starts the 2nd half's data.
2.  Select the data in A:B including the extra dates which have no =
adjacent data
3.  Plot this as a line chart (or if you are using a stock chart type =
include the additional columns for open, high, low, and volume as =
needed):
   a.  Click the Chart Wizard and select the appropriate chart type, =
click Next
   b. Click the Series tab and click Add
   c.  Highlight the entry in the Values box (=3D{1}) and click on the =
Sheet2 tab and highlight all the data NOT including the first half =
dates.  Include cell which are blank for the 1st half of the year.  =
Click Finish
4.  Change the second series markers to match those of the 1st half - =
double-click the series and on the Format tab set the Marker and =
Patterns to match the first series.
5.  Single click the legend, then single click the second series legend =
and press Del.

Assuming you have a lot of data the lack of a visual connection from =
series 1 to series 2 will not be visible.  But if that is a problem =
simple copy the data for Jun 30, 2008 from sheet1 to the last blank line =
before the 2nd half data.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message =
> I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily. =

> After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December.  =
Plots=20
> easily.
> These data are on 2 separate worksheets.
>=20
> Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year.  The first 6 =
months is=20
> easy.  How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without =
having=20
> to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet?
>=20
> Not sure I explained this very well, but ---
>=20
> Dave=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_01FB_01C9693A.1ABF8AF0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dunicode">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6001.18183" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV>Hi,<BR><BR>Assume that your data is in columns A:B of sheet1&nbsp; =
and=20
sheet2.<BR><BR>1.&nbsp; Extend the dates on sheet1 through Dec 31, 2008 =
for=20
example.&nbsp; Insert blank rows above the date on sheet2 and enter the =
dates=20
Jan 1, 2008 and fill down so that your dates end with Jun 30, 2008 and =
the next=20
row starts the 2nd half's data.<BR>2.&nbsp; Select the data in A:B =
including the=20
extra dates which have no adjacent data<BR>3.&nbsp; Plot this as a line =
chart=20
(or if you are using a stock chart type include the additional columns =
for open,=20
high, low, and volume as needed):<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; a.&nbsp; Click the =
Chart=20
Wizard and select the appropriate chart type, click Next</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; b.&nbsp;Click the Series tab and click Add</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; c.&nbsp; Highlight the entry in the Values box =
(=3D{1}) and=20
click on&nbsp;the Sheet2 tab and highlight all the data&nbsp;NOT =
including the=20
first half dates.&nbsp;&nbsp;Include cell which are blank for the 1st =
half of=20
the year.&nbsp; Click Finish</DIV>
<DIV>4.&nbsp; Change the second series markers to match those of the 1st =
half -=20
double-click the series and on the Format tab set the Marker and =
Patterns to=20
match the first series.</DIV>
<DIV>5.&nbsp;&nbsp;Single click&nbsp;the legend, then single click the =
second=20
series legend and press Del.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Assuming you have a lot of data the =
lack of a=20
visual connection from series 1 to series 2 will not be visible.&nbsp; =
But if=20
that is a problem simple copy the data for Jun 30, 2008 from sheet1 to =
the last=20
blank line before the 2nd half data.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If this helps, please click the Yes=20
button</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Shane Devenshire</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR>"Dave" =
&lt;djbahb@dcwis.com&gt; wrote in=20
message news:uM1GQtGaJHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt; I have =
stock=20
portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily. <BR>&gt; After =

portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December.&nbsp; =
Plots=20
<BR>&gt; easily.<BR>&gt; These data are on 2 separate =
worksheets.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year.&nbsp; The =
first 6=20
months is <BR>&gt; easy.&nbsp; How can I plot a continuous curve for the =
whole=20
year without having <BR>&gt; to insert the first 6 months worth on the =
last 6=20
months worksheet?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Not sure I explained this very well, =
but=20
---<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Dave <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01FB_01C9693A.1ABF8AF0--

Hi Shane - thank you for the tip

When I try to arrange the data as you suggest, the second half year plot
wants to start in January rather than essentially continue on from June.
After fooling around with some options, it may be because all my transaction
(data) dates) are irregular.  I think the second curve dates confuses the
date intervals for the first curve, and the end result is unsatisfactory.

Any thoughts on that?

Dave

"Shane Devenshire" <shanedevenshire@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Hi,

Assume that your data is in columns A:B of sheet1  and sheet2.

1.  Extend the dates on sheet1 through Dec 31, 2008 for example.  Insert
blank rows above the date on sheet2 and enter the dates Jan 1, 2008 and fill
down so that your dates end with Jun 30, 2008 and the next row starts the
2nd half's data.
2.  Select the data in A:B including the extra dates which have no adjacent
data
3.  Plot this as a line chart (or if you are using a stock chart type
include the additional columns for open, high, low, and volume as needed):
   a.  Click the Chart Wizard and select the appropriate chart type, click
Next
   b. Click the Series tab and click Add
   c.  Highlight the entry in the Values box (={1}) and click on the Sheet2
tab and highlight all the data NOT including the first half dates.  Include
cell which are blank for the 1st half of the year.  Click Finish
4.  Change the second series markers to match those of the 1st half -
double-click the series and on the Format tab set the Marker and Patterns to
match the first series.
5.  Single click the legend, then single click the second series legend and
press Del.

Assuming you have a lot of data the lack of a visual connection from series
1 to series 2 will not be visible.  But if that is a problem simple copy the
data for Jun 30, 2008 from sheet1 to the last blank line before the 2nd half
data.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily.
> After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December.
> Plots
> easily.
> These data are on 2 separate worksheets.
>
> Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year.  The first 6 months
> is
> easy.  How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without having
> to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet?
>
> Not sure I explained this very well, but ---
>
> Dave

0
djbahb (67)

Recipient Policy help #2
Our default recipient policy is companyname.local. We have 10 other recipient policy’s for each site within our company – they all have separate smtp addresses. The postmaster uses the default recipient policy smtp address companyname.local to send out ndr’s etc. but the address companyname.local is not allowed out of our firewall and it wont be allowed. We can create a new address to add as the default recipient policy which is unique and is allowed through the firewall. Please let me know if this is ok and what I should look out for??? So I am a little confused about what you are as...

Problems with creating a newsletter

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Meeting updates #2

printing 2 charts on single page