plot data on two axis at the same time, metric and english units

I am an engineer and am constantly ploting data in both metric and english
units on the same plot.  I would like a way to show multiple scales on both
the y and x axis.  Example: A series of data could have values of psi, bar, &
kPa for the y-axis, and ft^3 & meters^3 for the x-axis all on the same chart.
 The chart could be a custom style and it could either prompt you for the
column or row the data in other units is in, or it could prompt you for the
scaling factor to multiply the x data by to get to the other units.
Currently, with Excel 2003, I make an XY scatter chart with two series, put
series 2 on the secondary x and Y axis, and manually set the axis scale
values so that the two series lay directly on top of each other, and turn off
the line on one and the points on the other.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=fb35af6a-f227-4ebe-8ac9-c83f7b72ca93&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi:
I think you can only plot on two axes using the secondary axis as a dummy
axis, like you described.  The only way I see to make more axes is by using
overlay charts, but this is pretty elaborative.  Maybe the experts have a
more clever way.

Ok, to create an overlay chart, assuming you want a second x-axis under your
normal one, copy the chart, set in this copy what you don't need either to
Transparent, remove or make white (the right choice depends on whether the
plot area or scales adjust if you for instance remove them; if you remove the
data series the chart will be deleted so you need to make this transparant or
colour it as your background colour).  Effectively you only keep the axis on
the scale of your choice (so a very empty chart!).  Make the plot area a bit
longer (in case of a second x-axis) Now position the "chart" (now effectively
reduced to a floating x-axis) over the original and because it is transparent
the original chart now shows a second x-axis.  You may have to trial a bit to
get the desired effect and to line your scale.  Of course you can add more
overlays for more axes .... but, hey, this is already complicated enough!

I hope the description is not too complex.  The main trick is to keep the
original dimensions and set properties to Transparent.  I use this "trick" to
e.g. add gridlines on top of Area charts, or to let gridlines run in front of
columns.

I hope this suggestion is useful.
GL,
Henk
(NB: Keep <Alt> pressed when dragging a chart with the mouse for more
accurate positioning)

"ACcompressor" wrote:

> I am an engineer and am constantly ploting data in both metric and english
> units on the same plot.  I would like a way to show multiple scales on both
> the y and x axis.  Example: A series of data could have values of psi, bar, &
> kPa for the y-axis, and ft^3 & meters^3 for the x-axis all on the same chart.
>  The chart could be a custom style and it could either prompt you for the
> column or row the data in other units is in, or it could prompt you for the
> scaling factor to multiply the x data by to get to the other units.
> Currently, with Excel 2003, I make an XY scatter chart with two series, put
> series 2 on the secondary x and Y axis, and manually set the axis scale
> values so that the two series lay directly on top of each other, and turn off
> the line on one and the points on the other.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=fb35af6a-f227-4ebe-8ac9-c83f7b72ca93&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting
0
HEK (135)
5/2/2006 7:07:02 PM
It's easier than using overlays. You can use as many dummy series in your
chart (up to 255 or 256 series per chart). Set up one as a secondary axis,
with the appropriate labels. Here are some sample charts with pseudoaxes:

  http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartIndex.html#AxisScales

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"HEK" <HEK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> both
>> the y and x axis.  Example: A series of data could have values of psi,
>> bar, &
>> kPa for the y-axis, and ft^3 & meters^3 for the x-axis all on the same
>> chart.
>>  The chart could be a custom style and it could either prompt you for the
>> column or row the data in other units is in, or it could prompt you for
>> the
>> scaling factor to multiply the x data by to get to the other units.
>> Currently, with Excel 2003, I make an XY scatter chart with two series,
>> put
>> series 2 on the secondary x and Y axis, and manually set the axis scale
>> values so that the two series lay directly on top of each other, and turn
>> off
>> the line on one and the points on the other.

jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Run time 380 post SP2
I support a multistore operation that has been running SP2 for about a month. I just got two calls from two different stores saying yesterday they started throwing "Run Time error 380 Invalid Property" whenever committing a PO. The PO is comitted but Manager crashes. The fact that two started crashing at the same time suggest something bad went out the day before from HQ and I am looking at that. Anybody else seen this. Previous posts state this was fixed in sp1.2 but we are running SP2 Any help would be appreciated Coincidentally just yesterday I had the same problem when I ...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

Cusotm Office 2007 install for English, Spanish, & Chinese users
Hi, I'm working on creating a custom install of Office 2007 for my various sites. These sites include users that speak English, Spanish and Chinese. I am a bit confused on how to use language packs in order to provide multi-lingual support. From my understanding, I need to download the Spanish and Chinese language pack and place the .msp files in the Updates folder on my network install point? Does this mean when office gets installed on a Chinese computer it will be in Chinese automatically? Or does the user need to "flip a switch" to make it Chinese language? The ...

2003 calendar free/busy times
New to 2003 so please bear with me - in 5.5 you had to replicate from site to site the free busy time so someone in another site when sending a meeting notice could check to see if the time was available. I can't seem to find out how this is done in 2003 - how do you publish from one administrative groups servers to another the calendar info? TIA Nancy Stevens NStevens@tycoint.com in the ESM, go to your AG, then "Folders", then "Public Folders"...right-click, and select "View System Folders"...under "Schedule+ Free Busy", select the appropr...

Different background color depending on x-axis value
Hi! Is there any way to have the background in a chart have differen colors depending on x-axis values? Like x-axis value 1-10 => blue background x-axis value 10-20 => red background Thank -- RealRave ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RealRaven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3705 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56778 Here are a few of the ways you can get custom background fills for your charts" http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartIndex.html#Backgro...

creating a function for dividing two columns
I am trying to keep track of softball stats. I trying to make a column of batting averages. I have at bats in column b, hits in column c with the results in column d. I cant get the function right so it will display the correct result. use this =SUM(C1/B1) in cell D1. Format D1 as a number with 3 decimal places. Steve Hubbard "cflan" <cflan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:212BF952-55B9-45DF-BC8C-E8B670FA6010@microsoft.com... > I am trying to keep track of softball stats. I trying to make a column of > batting averages. I have at bats in column b,...

Scanning with a hand held unit?
I was wondering if you scan the barcode into excel it puts the what the barcode means. Like the numbers or letters... I am wondering is there away to scan the Barcode into 1 cell and right next to it in the next cell put the numbers or letters. Is there away if so how would I go about doing it... I have the barcode font file but can't get the 2 cells to link... Cell 1 needs to have the barcode Cell 2 needs to have what cell 1 means.. Thank you for your time in this matter... Every barcode scanner I ever used scanned the printed barcode and converted the content into ...

Y Axis #2
I have two questions regarding the 'y' axis - in a normal line graph Firstly, how do i get the 'y' axis to appear in the middle of the graph IE to cross the 'x' axis at (0,0) instead of currently (in my graph) (-10,0) Secondly how do i plot the line "X =2" which should just be a vertical line on the graph? I'm using Microsoft Excel 2007 any help would be appreciated. Thanks Hi, Not able to test in xl2007 but from memory it should be the same as xl2003. For a line chart, select the x axis and open the format dialog. On the scale tab set Value (Y) axi...

How to setup Automatic Send/Receive time interval ?
I once knew where to click to set the time interval for auto send/ receive. Where do I click in Outlook 2003 to be able to set the automatic send/ receive time interval? Thanks for any help. Mel <MyEmailList@gmail.com> wrote: > I once knew where to click to set the time interval for auto send/ > receive. > > Where do I click in Outlook 2003 to be able to set the automatic send/ > receive time interval? While viewing a mail folder, press ALT-CTRL-S -- Brian Tillman On Jul 9, 2:57 pm, "Brian Tillman" <tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Mel <MyEmai...

Creating a time chart
Can someone tell me if this is possible. I want to be able to create a chart that represents a week. There will be seven bars and each bar will represent the day my business is open. I want to be able to enter starting times in one column, let's say column B and a quitting times in column C. These two columns represent Sunday. I want D and E to represent Monday. I'll do this for all seven days. Is there a way I can create a stacking bar chart (or any chart) that will place a bar representing that employee's shift in the chart. All bars will not start on the horizontal axis, b...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

how do i count mails with time and date
i have a helpdesk , i would like to know the tracking all mail , as like time and date on responded "Bhanu C" <Bhanu C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F0F08B1-3302-43F9-B2F8-5FE1BEC99A9B@microsoft.com... >i have a helpdesk , i would like to know the tracking all mail , as like >time > and date on responded Why not just look at the InfoBar? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] see http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm - specifically the replied time section. If needed, you can copy rows to excel and compare dates etc. -- Diane Poremsky...

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

How to specify time with DATEDIFF
Is it possible to specify a specific hour when using DATEDIFF? For example this snippet from my query: (DATEDIFF(day, acct_banktran.eff_date, { fn NOW() }) <= 1) I know that this will query all acct_banktran.eff_date that took place yesterday but it pulls all of them starting from 12:00a.m.. How can I limit that query to only get specific acct_banktran.eff_date at a certain hour? Thank you. gjl_support wrote: > Is it possible to specify a specific hour when using DATEDIFF? For example > this snippet from my query: > > (DATEDIFF(day, acct_banktran.eff_da...

How can you see in real time who is sending email
- Hello everyone, Exchange 5.5 How can I see in real time who is sending outbound email? Several times per week I have users sending out large amounts of email. I need to know if there is a way to see who is sending in real time. Something that will point me to the user(s) doing the sending right now (real time) Thanks for any help, Terry On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:41:45 -0500, "theitman" <nospam@olsbuff.com> wrote: >- >Hello everyone, > >Exchange 5.5 >How can I see in real time who is sending outbound email? >Several times per week I have users sending out...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Formula causing run-time error in Excel Programming
This is a repost. I have the following line of code that I am trying to drop in a cell via Access VBA but I keep getting a Run-time error 1004, Application-defined or object-defined error. xls.cells(Rw, Col + lngColumn).value = "=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(ET_Raw_Data!$C$2:ET_Raw_Data!$C$20000,ROW(ET_Raw_Data!$C$2:ET_Raw_Data!$C$20000)-ROW(ET_Raw_Data!$C$2),0,1)),--(ET_Raw_Data!$A$2:ET_Raw_Data!$A$20000=A" & lngColumn + 1 & "),--(ET_Raw_Data!$D$2:ET_Raw_Data!$D$20000='Feature Request'))" I already have 2 other formulas that are being add...

how can i relate between two columns in two sheets?
Question no too clear - you can use this space to give a detailed question. But here goes: On Sheet1 I can type formulas such as =Sheet2!A1 =SUM(Sheet2!A:A10) If I type = and then click on the cell A1 of a worksheet called My Yearly Totals, I will get the formula ='My Yearly Totals'!A1 Note that a sheet name having spaces get surrounded by single quotes. Does this answer your question? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters REMEMBER: Microsoft is closing the newsgroups; We will all me...

Printing a worksheet in two (or more) columns
Hi, I've got an extremely long spreadsheet table comprising two columns of data. I'd like to print these data in a more compact form - in the same way that the entries are organised in a telephone directory. Say on average my page is 50 rows high - my first two columns on page 1 would appear on the left hand side and be rows 1 through 50, row 51 would continue at the top of the page, but on the right-hand side. Row 101 would appear at the top left hand side of page 2, etc. I'd like to keep the orientation of the columns in portrait (I did find a printer-associ...

Cut X axis
Bom dia = Good morning I need to know, how can i put a variable like "A3" the value of de chart cut de X axis. Obrigado = Thanks Francisco - Something like this, which is shown for the Y axis, but would work for any axis: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Francisco wrote: > Bom dia = Good morning > > I need to know, how can i put a variable like "A3" the value of de chart cut > de X axis. > ...

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

Cut'n'Pasting data
Greetings ! I have a CSV data file wot looks something like this - "1529.17698720957","133.597550559965" "1685.21901149326","132.817184396522" "1900.00000000000","130.300887834893" "2193.34485206410","121.730777157435" "2363.17295960769","114.937652855693" "2523.01169878763","108.544103288496" "3240.77088467590","87.805735336415" "3590.69860622591","81.680775462264" "4229.19543928027","78.487652800160" This data i...