Placing an Axis Break on the Y axis

I am using Excel 2007 and I have data that I need to display on one
scatter plot.  However, the initial value for one variable on the
graph dwarfs the rest of the data.  I want to insert a break in the y-
axis for units.  For example the y values from 5-20 are useless to my
data.  So I want to remove those values from the y-axis. If I could
take them out it would show greater detail in the variation below 5.
I know this is possible in other programs, but I would prefer to do
all of my graphs in excel.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks.

Hi,

Here are some examples of broken a axis, which should work in xl2007.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html
http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/broken_y_axis/tutorial/index.html
http://andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm

Cheers
Andy

Wrangler wrote:
> I am using Excel 2007 and I have data that I need to display on one
> scatter plot.  However, the initial value for one variable on the
> graph dwarfs the rest of the data.  I want to insert a break in the y-
> axis for units.  For example the y values from 5-20 are useless to my
> data.  So I want to remove those values from the y-axis. If I could
> take them out it would show greater detail in the variation below 5.
> I know this is possible in other programs, but I would prefer to do
> all of my graphs in excel.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks.
0
andy9699 (3616)

Breaking down a novel into sections
Hi, I'm writing a novel that is a good 250 pages now. When I first started writing, I tried using the outline feature, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Now things are getting a bit cumbersome. What I really want to do is to be able to highlight sections of text (maybe a single line, maybe a paragraph, maybe three pages) and add a note, which I could then sort in a multi-level outline. So, for example, if there was a battle scene, I would like to be able to label the first three paragraphs as "Fight begins", the next five as "Protagonist ...

Placing OWA on DMZ
Can anyone tell me how to place an OWA server on the DMZ of a pix? I have tried opening up ports using conduit command but I am not able to authenticate back in to our network. Any one have any ideas? On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:18:03 -0700, TIm <TIm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me how to place an OWA server on the DMZ of a pix? I have >tried opening up ports using conduit command but I am not able to >authenticate back in to our network. Any one have any ideas? ugh. I wouldnt put OWA in the DMZ. Why not... Surely this the place for web services? "...

displaying a table on a form so that we can insert a new record at any place rather that at the end
how can i display the table on a form so that the user is able to insert a new record not only in the last, but also in any place of his desire. he must be able to insert a new record even before the first record. how can i accomplish this? can any body help me out please........ hi Ravindar, ravindar thati wrote: > how can i display the table on a form so that the user is able to > insert a new record not only in the last, but also in any place of his > desire. he must be able to insert a new record even before the first > record. Tables in Access (in a database) are a differen...

Break Up One Long Column to Print on One Page
I have a worksheet with one column. It is approximately 500 record long. I want to print it but I don't want to print one column on eac page. For example, say 50 records will fit on each page and each page ca print a width of four columns, for a total of 200 records. Is there way to print it this way without cutting/pasting each colum individually? I am continually adding records and they are in alphabetical order which makes it difficult to change once a page like this is created. I hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance for any assistance. Best regards, MrAviato -- Messag...

Where is Insert Line Breaks option when saving as .txt?
I need to be able to save file as text but with the cr/lf characters included. There used to be an option called "Insert Line Breaks" that appeared when you chose save as .txt. What version of Word are you using? This option is still present in Word 2003. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "BANCADO" <BANCADO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9C988AC-B436-4AC7-BC23-7251B628F4A6@microsoft.com... >I need to be able to save file as text but with the cr/lf charact...

Suppressed 0's on the vertical axis in Excel '97
I got an error the first time I tried to post this earlier this afternoon, please accept my apologies if this is question is duplicated. The question has come up in a local users group: We are designing a column chart on excel 97, and we want to have a suppressed zero on the vertical axis. The automatic range comes up at 0 - 25. Individual data values are between 12 and 19. We want to make the vertical axis set at 10 - 20. Can this be done Thank you in advance for your thoughts, Gary Double click on the axis, and on the Scale tab, enter 10 for minimum and 20 for maximum. Don't re-chec...

Limitations to # of Decimal places for seconds (time)? #2
Bernie Deitrick Wrote: > Xprezons, > > Are you really recording every 1/10 millionth of a second? And, yes > Excel > limits you to three decimal places on the seconds > > Thanks a ton for your help, Bernie. I guess this is what I have to do. And yes, the system does log time to the accuracy of 6 decimal digits. Thanks and Regards, Xprezons -- Xprezon ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Xprezons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread....

Secondary axis help
Hi everyone, I am having some difficulty in Excel 2007 Charting. I have a stacked bar chart that I would like to add a horizontal secondary axis on. How do I do this? I'm trying to do what the Help says but there is something that I am not getting. 1. I click on the Chart and select the Format Tab 2. In the Current Selection section, there is a Chart Elements drop down and I select Horizontal (Category) axis. 3. I go to my sheet that has the data for the chart and I select the data range that I want per the instructions. I'm lost after this. Hi, well, the Help s...

Selecting highlighted data from one column and placing them in another column
Hi, I have data in Column A. Some of the rows in Column A are highlighted in yellow. I would like to copy the highlighted data and paste them into Column B. For Example: Column A 2342 1234 2121 5675 2321 Let's assume that 2342 and 2121 are highlighted. So my resullt in Column B will be: 2342 2121 Keep in mind that I have n numbers of data in Column A. Try this Macro: Sub Colour() Dim bCol As Long Dim x As Long bCol = 2 For x = 2 To 1000 'increase as required If Cells(x, 1).Interior.ColorIndex > 0 Then Cells(bCol, 2) = Cells(x, 1).Va...

Y axis box size incorrect in Excel 2003
I am having a problem; the y-axis box size does not display the entire text. I cannot change the size of this box. This only happens for the y-axis, not for other axis labels or the chart title. I have tried adding spaces followed by a period to fool the box and this works in Excel, but when I copy the chart to a Word document, the full text, including the final period appears. Hi, Details and suggestions can be found on Jon's page. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/AxisLabelCutOff.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "lcare...

Page Breaks in Microsoft 2007
My page breaks are not working. I had breaks to separate each trade to give a new page for each trade. For some reason, I have lost and cannot figure how to get this back. Hi Mar, In what view did you add the page breaks? I imagine you may have added the page breaks in the Resource Usage view? I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information about Microsoft Project On 2/26/2010 3:46 PM, Mar wrote: > My page breaks are not working. I had breaks to separate each trade to giv...

How to migrate data (.csv) wich include line breaks?
I need to migrate data with line breaks. Data migration manager supports CSV files which doesn't allow line breaks. I tried to convert all line breaks (CRLF) to "\n" with the result that after migration I get "\n" displayed in MS CRM. My next try would be to convert those "\n" to CRLF in the databse directly, although direct changes in the database are not recommended by Microsoft. Any other ideas? I can't generate a sample right now but in your csv you still need to have an entire record on a single line. But if you put quotes around the part th...

Add drop lines at plot crossovers, swapping X and Y axis
Having some slight probs with a uni assignment. Basically, I need to swap the x and y axis over, can't for the life of me work out how to do this as everything I try seems to have no effect. Secondly, there are four seperate plotted lines on the graph. I need to add drop lines where a plot crosses another with a drop line marking the point on the x and y axis. I will try get the graph up for y'all to see. ...

create bar graph with two series and secondary y axis
I want to create a bar graph with two series including standard Y error bars as well as having a secondary Y axis. The bar graph looks fine untill I try and put on a secondary Y axis- then it overlays the bars on top of each other ( one bar becomes masked by the other). It wont keep them side by side. Appreciate any suggestions cheers -- macmullet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ macmullet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35032 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=547755 By...

How do I scale the axis of a chart from external data so that dis.
Please use Subject line for topic heading and 'white space' for the actual questions. You question was truncated -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "statherdunn" <statherdunn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37F3FE9C-9B41-4180-89BD-C95F0D7C4DA9@microsoft.com... > ...

How to prevent breaks in sentences within a paragraph when email
When I type a paragraph within an email, it looks great, even after I've added words to the sentence, or changed the sentence structure. Then I send the email, and sometimes send it to myself, but the sentences and paragraph are chopped up, and the idea doesn't "flow" like I wanted it to. Any suggestions on how I can keep the sentences together so they make more sense? I have looked at every option in "Tools", but haven't found a solution. Thanks. Are you using HTML or plain text? HTML will generally keep the same formatting while plain text ...

Dual axis with Bar chart + two series : is it possible ??
Hi, I'm looking for info on personnalized charts. I know that in the personnalized type graphs Excel has a "Bar Chart + Plotted serie" with two y axis'. I would like to have a bar chart + two plotted series so the chart would be : x axis : data ( month, location...) y axis n�1 ( left side) = bar chart scaling 0 to 400 y axis n�2 (right side) = TWO series scaling 10 to 50 Any help ? Create a chart with all three series. Then, double-click one of the=20 series you want on the secondary y-axis and in the resulting dialog=20 box, from the Axis tab select Secondary. Repe...

How to insert non-breaking hyphen?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have searched unsuccessfully to find out how to insert a non-breaking hyphen into a Word doc. Used to be really simple ... but now ???? <br><br>Help! Thanks. Hi Joan; I don't know what "really simple" method you remember, but it hasn't changed in Word 2008 from what it was in 2004 & prior. Either go to Insert> Symbol> Special Characters or use the keyboard shortcut of Shift+Command+ - Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/7/10 12:25 PM, in arti...

Excel Hyperlink to Page Break Preview
1. Enter an Excel worksheet and set via pull-down menu, Windows > Freeze Panes at Row 1. 2. Set Print Area and hence Page Break Preview ; then, the worksheet shows multiple pages. 3. Enter a Hyperlink into Cell A1 and click to scroll to Page 2 thereof (such that the worksheet scrolls down and the first row of Page 2 is butting snuggly against Row 1 - which is frozen, remember ?) 4. After reaching Page 2 and then scroll down further ; say, page 3 and beyond. 5. Click the Hyperlink in Cell A1 again. On the return flight, the worksheet does not scroll into the position of Page 2 (despite t...

My places Bar
Hello, I am using office 2003, Recently I noticed that the "my places" bar has disappeared. I have looked everywhere on how to put it back and have had no luck. I have done registry entries with no luck. I did not install any recent software. I have also tryed to repair office aswell. Any thoughts? Thanks, I do not think the "My Places" bar is a default toolbar, but rather a custom toolbar that you (or a predecessor) installed. Perhaps the file for it got deleted? -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped y...

Excel chart draws line outside Y axis
Hello, I have an Excel chart that appears to have a bug, as it draws a second line outside of the Y axis. The line is upright, but slightly shorter and to the left of the axis. If I hover over the line, the caption read "Value Axis", the same as it does over the real value axis. Between the two lines, the caption reads "Chart Area", as it normally would outside of the plot area. If I change some of the data to be plotted, the line may disappear or even change its weighting from thin to thick. The line always reappears or returns to the same weighting if I reinstate the...

Breaking links in Publisher 2002 (XP)
Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word with Excell-linked graphics. There is no option to break links under the "edit:links" menu, and the option to break links isn't possible under the commercial printing tools menu. Does anyone know of a different way to go about this? Please e-mail me at wmorris@mma-research.com Thanks! Whitney What if you moved the files it wants to be linked to? I've found that'll break those links in a heartbeat. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ...

Does anyone have a template for place cards? #2
I can't seem to find one in publiser - and I would like to be able to do a mail merge. There are many here for Word and PowerPoint. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=place+cards Do you want a tent card type? Input the dimensions into page setup, adjust the copies per sheet. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jen m" <Jen m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55FDAE5F-700E-421C-8C3F-FD68FD85A468@microsoft.com... >I can't seem to find one in publise...

Create XY (Scatter) Chart, with 3 column (X, Y, Series)
Hi, I need create a XY Chart with information in 3 colum, example SERIE X Y A 1.25 2.35 B 4 3 C 5 1 D 2.35 5.25 E 1 2 F 3.33 4 G 4.21 3 H 6.25 1 I 1.5 4 J 2.5 3.33 K 3.5 1.25 This is possible? Help me please. Thanks, Ilka Make an XY chart with the X and Y columns, then use one of these utilities to apply the labels to the data points: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ &...

Adding Multiple Lines On A Secondary Axis?
I am working with a line-column on 2 axes chart . Columns are charted on the primary axis and a line is charted on the secondary axis. I am trying to add a second line to the secondary axis. Can anyone help? Thanks -- al Hi, One way is to use the Add button on the Series tab of the Source data dialog. Right click chart and pick Source Data from the context menu. If the new series is not automatically a line series simply select it, right click and choose Chart Type. Select required line chart. You can also use copy and Pate special to add data to a chart. Cheers Andy al wrote: ...