picking first three alphanumeric from one cell

i want to pick first three alphanumeric alphabets or
numbers from a cell to one cell and pick the rest may be
two or three in other cell.
0
anonymous (74722)

have a look in HELP index for LEFT and MID and RIGHT

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"pankaj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i want to pick first three alphanumeric alphabets or
> numbers from a cell to one cell and pick the rest may be
> two or three in other cell.

0
Don
9/2/2004 3:31:16 PM
If you install the code at http://www.tmehta.com/regexp/add_code.htm,
you can then use the formula
=LEFT(RegExpSubstitute(I7,"[^a-zA-Z0-9]",""),3)
where I7 contains the expression that you want to manipulate.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <4e2801c490fe$9104f290$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> i want to pick first three alphanumeric alphabets or
> numbers from a cell to one cell and pick the rest may be
> two or three in other cell.

blocking blank cells until other cells are compiled
Hello everyone. I'm working on several columns. Each column corresponds to a certai date. I would like the fields under the date cell to be "available only if the date cell is filled. How do I do this? Say in cell "A1" I have today's date and in "B1" tomorrow's (and s on). In cell "A2" I want to put the number of dollars I have spen during lunch and in cell "B2" I will want to do the same, but onl tomorrow of course. I would like to "compile" the whole month in terms of columns but would like NOT to be able to write in the...

only the first 5 columns of a 10 column excel spreadsheet sort
How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? Using Office 2003. Maybe if you remove the Data|list Select a cell in that blue box. Data|list|convert to range jrw562 wrote: > > How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the > first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? > Using Office 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

Cell selection
Hi, Can anyone tell me why, when I select a cell near the bottom of a page, 3-4 rows seem to be sected as well? Thanks in advance Jason Hi, You are probably in Extend mode. Look at the bottom right of the Status Bar, look for Extend, its location and wording depend on version. If it is on press Esc or F8. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Boenerge" wrote: > Hi, > Can anyone tell me why, when I select a cell near the bottom of a page, 3-4 > rows seem to be sected as well? > Thanks in advance > Jason I am having this p...

Select a certain number of cells in a row
Hi, I'd like to have the macro to select row 5 to 10 in the active column. May I know what is the VB code to write? Regards, Valerie maybe... dim myRng as range dim myCol as long with activesheet mycol = activecell.Column set myrng = .range(.cells(5,mycol),.cells(10,mycol)) end with myrng.select ======= or with activesheet .cells(5,activecell.column).resize(6).select end with I'm not quite sure why you want to select that range. But for the most part, if you act directly on the range (and avoid .selects), you're code will work faster and be easier to modify. Dolph...

Cannot hide cells

text in cell shows up as ####

Printing large cells
I have a spreadsheet in which many of the cells are very large. When the spreadsheet is printed, not all of the large cell contents print. How do I get all of the cell contents to print? ...

copying text on sheet 1 to corresponding cells on sheets 2 to 5
I want the text entered in A8 on sheet 1(named Productivity) to automatically transfer to A8 on sheets 2 thru 5. I used the simple formula =Productivity!a8 in the corresponding cells but when there is no data in Productivity A8 I get a 0 in the corresponding cells. I would like the corresponding cells to remain blank if there is not text in Productivity A8. I am really new to excel, like only used it two weeks! Is there a simple fix to this? -- newbie at large! Hi A formula will always return 0 if it's refering to an empty cell. This formula will let the cell look empty if no...

Excel limited cell formats
I have run into Excel's limit on 4000 cell foremats. I have since split the excel workbook into two separate workbooks. My question is, how can I launch these from a template and have the two workbooks link with each other, My original workbook has 25 separate sheets within the workbook for a total of 3.25mb size. I have a whole slew of macros assigned to different command buttons. Mike Johnson ...

Adding Hyperlink to multiple values within a cell
My spreadsheet contains a list of people. The cell next to each nam contains multiple numeric values for identifying a specific piece o information. I would like to be able to click on one of those number (value) and a comment window pop up with the information associate with it, or be hyperlinked to the information further down th speadsheet. I want to avoid using multiple cells for this. Is this possible? Thank -- t2tru ----------------------------------------------------------------------- t2true's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=387 View this...

How do you import data from one Excel document to another?
Hey everyone, I work at a school and I'm trying to update their attendance reports from hand written to excel, but I'm running into several problems. For one, I need it to be able to calculate how many "Ab"s (absents) there are in the worksheet (for the individual student's attendance page). And THEN, I need to have the sum show up on a completely new document (for the overall attendance report). Is that possible? I've fooled around with data importing and several other things, but I'm just too new at this. If what I'm asking is possible, can anyone he...

Can there be variable size columns in one report?
I want to create a report that has 3 sub-reports of different column widths. Is this possible? -The 1st sub-report has 1 column that occupies the entire width of the page -The 2nd sub-report can fit 2 columns in the page width -The 3rd sub-report can fit 3 columns in the page width Subreports can have any number of columns that don't have to be the same from one to another. Typically your columns should display across then down in order to render properly as a subreport. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "SheldonHinds" wrote: > I want to create a r...

can i see the date the last time a cell was changed?
I am trying to figure out a formulla to make the date appear in one cell everytime anouther cell's data is chaged. Use a worksheet_change event to copy the cell address and put in a date stamp. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "JohnNuTek" <JohnNuTek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5085A544-CBF4-4B81-A244-B03DE9A0E9E6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to figure out a formulla to make the date appear in one cell > everytime anouther cell's data is chaged. There really isn't a worksheet formula to do that. Typicall...

Combine rows to print on one label
I have imported student information into an excel spreadsheet (use Excel 2003). Each student has one row of information for each course they take. I need to print one label for each student and each course & grade must print on a single label. How do I combine the rows to cause this to happen? assuming the info in the row is divided into separate columns for name, course, grade, etc you can do a mail merge in word using the spreadsheet as the data source "Clearcreek" wrote: > I have imported student information into an excel spreadsheet (use Excel > 2...

can cells apply conditional formatting using the internal clock?
I am using excell to keep track of my production schedule and I wanted to know if there was a way to tie the cells in a worksheet to the internal date and time in the computer,so that the cells will update automatically. Example: Row A10 would be my production start date, Row A1 would be my projected finish date, I would like the cells in between to go from green to red as I near the finish date without manually inputting the date in each cell. Can you help me? Thyanks Set the normal format as desired (I selected a Pattern of Green). Select A1:A10, then select Format | Conditional Fo...

Splitting excel cells based on content
I have an excel workbook with a worksheet created by a dump from a database (DOORS in this case). The first column is unique, the second not. The second column may contain 0 to n identifiers that I want to look up on a separate sheet. The lookup is easy when the cell in the 2nd column has either 0 or 1 identifiers in it but when there are 2 or more (separated by a carriage return I think) my lookup fails as lookup is using the enitre contents of the cell. What i'd like to be able to do is to automatically (there's some 900+ rows in the worksheet) is to automatically insert additio...

Simple question about text within a cell
I can't seem to find the option that prevents text from covering the adjacent cell. For example if I type the folling in cell A1: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. Obviously that will overflow over the cell B1 (if there is no data in B1). I don't want to resize my column, I only want the cell to show as much text in A1 as possible without covering cell B1. I believe I've seen the option to do what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find it and I can't figure out how to look it up in the HELP file. Thanks in advance. Rick My simple solution ha...

All in one!
It is a lot of all - Hottest Offers - Gifts, Discounts, Sale, Fre Stuff, Freebies, Coupons and more you will find at us. UK Best offers Discounts, Free Stuff, Freebies, Coupons, Gifts, Sale, Hottest Offers 'Coupons, Gifts, Sale' (http://www.freestuffleague.co.uk -- maxaoff ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maxaoffi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3779 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57355 ...

Is Auto Expansion (i.e., wrap text) of a cell possible when the cell's contents are based on another cell?
I am trying to display the results from one tab (Tab 1) in another (Tab 2). So, for example, tab 2 contains the formula "=Tab1!A2". However, when the results are too large to fit the cell in tab 2 (i.e., the cell that contains a formula that draws from a cell in tab 1), the wrap text feature does not work unless i first double click in the cell in tab 2. Is there any way around this? Can the wrap text feature work automatically somehow? Or will i need to double click in every cell that contains text that doesn't fit into the cell. Thanks for any suggestions, or VBA code, th...

Outlook - CPU Spikes
I've got a Dell XPS M1210 - Outlook 2003 Pro We have 4 of these machines - I personally have one as well. Mine works great no problem.... however one of the others is a problem child. I've personally re-installed the OS 4 times on this machine. When you bring up outlook (with Exchange account) I get CPU usage spikes (40%-60%). Explorer.exe shows in the task manager as the culprit. Shut down outlook and it chills down to 0%-2%. Bring outlook back up .... it has a CPU spike heartbeat every 5 seconds or so. I've set the email account on several other machines ... no problem.. so I...

Copying inbox from one account to another on exchange 2003
Hi I need to copy the inbox of user from one account to another account. Is there a way to do that? I tried copying to the public folder then copying from public to new account - but the dates changed to todays date for all emails! Any thoughts? Use PSTs. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Ali" <Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67F087A-39D7-4DBA-947D-F20F63574952@microsoft.com... > Hi > I need to copy the inbox of user from one account to another account. Is > t...

cursor control in cells
Can anyone help please? For some reason i am no longer able to scroll across a cell by moving through teh arrow keys. The whole sheet moves instead. Can anyone tell me what I ahve done to lose this control please? Many thanx DAT Hi Dave You have probably inadvertently pressed the Skulk key. Press it again to take Scroll Lock off and you should be OK. -- Regards Roger Govier "Dave T" <datucker@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:J8sUh.378$V7.132@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net... > Can anyone help please? > For some reason i am no longer able to scroll across a cell by ...

remove carriage return in multiple cells
Hello, I have an excel sheet with lots of data. Unfortunately lots of cells contain carriage returns. Is there a way to remove the carriage returns in those cells (more returns in a cell possible)? Thanks, Andy > Andy Select your range, then CTRL+H. In Find What, type 0010 (number keypad) while holding down ALT. Click Replace All. HTH, Andy Try running this macro: Sub RemoveCRLF() Cells.Replace Chr(10), "" Cells.Replace Chr(13), "" End Sub Afterward you may want to turn off Wrap Text (under Format, Cells, Alignment) for the affected cells. -- Jim...

CComboBox shows only one item at a time !
Hi All, I am using CComboBox control and have tried both dropdown and dropddown list styles. The problem is that I have several items in the combo box but dropdown shows only 1 at a time (i.e. the arrows of v-scrollbar are stuck together).. How do I remedy this ? Thanks in advance. Ashish Got it... Thanks "Ashish" <abc@def.com> wrote in message news:eqRb$LSyDHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > I am using CComboBox control and have tried both dropdown and dropddown list > styles. The problem is that I have several items in the combo box but > dropdown sho...

Cell formatting: displaying lat/long coordinates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4366C.F3FDF050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Rather than formatting a cell to display time in hours and minutes and = seconds, I would like to display latitude and longitude in degrees, = minutes, and seconds. e.g. 43=BA 25' 34" Is this possible in Excel 2000? ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4366C.F3FDF050 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W...