Overlapping bars within chart

Sample scenario:  Let's say in each year, I have this many cats:
2010: 6
2011: 8
2012: 20

Out of those cats, let's say that the following number have been neutered:
2010: 1
2011: 4
2012: 18

Is there a way for me to create a form of bar chart that shows the total
number of cats per year as a "background" bar, with the total number of
neutered cats in each year as a skinnier "foreground" bar that is a different
color and overlays the background bar?

I just figured this out on my own.  As an FYI to anyone else, here was my
solution:
1.  Plot the number of cats on the primary axis
2.  Plot the number of neutered cats on the secondary axis
3.  Format the "neutered cats" series to enlarge the gap width

"CParker" wrote:

> Sample scenario:  Let's say in each year, I have this many cats:
> 2010: 6
> 2011: 8
> 2012: 20
>
> Out of those cats, let's say that the following number have been neutered:
> 2010: 1
> 2011: 4
> 2012: 18
>
> Is there a way for me to create a form of bar chart that shows the total
> number of cats per year as a "background" bar, with the total number of
> neutered cats in each year as a skinnier "foreground" bar that is a different
> color and overlays the background bar?

IE8 and norton 360 tool bar
norton tool bar inop since i upgraded to IE8, norton asks if IE8 is 32 or 64 bit, i dont know google do i have 32-bit or 64-bit internet explorer --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est tomv wrote: > norton tool bar inop since i upgraded to IE8, norton asks if IE8 is 32 or 64 > bit, i dont know Contact Norton Support. tomv wrote: > norton tool bar inop since i upgraded to IE8, norton asks if IE8 is 32 or > 64 > bit, i dont know Forget the Google suggestion above (for once). Just see this KB article; it provides exactly the answer to your question: h...

Excel 2007 Chart in VB6 Program
I have another thread in the VB group and was told to post to these two groups so sorryfor the multi-post. Ill post there again just in case folks want to follow the thread. So I've had a Visual Basic 6 app (as an EXE) that has worked great for the last 9 years or so. Up until Excel 2003 I have had to make minimial changes for it to work properly. The app has an OLE control which acts as a container for many different external sources .In this control I embed an Excel workbook and display a chart sheet. I can interact with the workbook through the normal means of Excel programming objects...

Missing Title Bar
I don't know what I did. Now the title bar of my document is missing, and the document is in a fixed position below my toolbar. I cannot minimize or expand my document. Please help. Thanks in advance, you rock! Sounds to me like you maximized the spreadsheet. If this is the case look in the upper left corner of excel. You should see a Min, Norma and Max buttons for excel. Below these, you should see another set o Min, Normal and Max buttons which is for the spreadsheet. Click th middle one (normal) to return to the original way of viewing. -- Message posted from http://www.Exce...

how do I recover charts within an excel workbook?
The workbook had many charts that were previously visible. Now, upon opening the file, the charts are no longer visible. How to I reactivate them to appear? thanks ...

FRx scroll bars
It seems that FRx scroll bars 'freeze' sometime when my client is using drilldown viewer. They have to log out of it and go back in to get them active again. They are on FRx 6.7.9111. Is that an issue that you have seen before? -- Janey Yes, it seems to be a bug in the latest service pack. It didn't happen prior to applying the SP. Tell them to not to use the arrow buttons to scroll - either drag the little scroll button or click in the scroll bar to scroll up and down. That should prevent the scroll bar freeze. Another bug in the latest SP - exporting to Excel doesn...

Problem with Asset Allocator pie charts
Everything "seems" to be working fine with Money 2005 Premium (after restarting the program multiple times). I'm having a problem with many of the pie charts. They do not show up at all. I upgraded from Money 2004. Any ideas? I'm running Windows XP Professional if that's of any help. Thanks, Patrick I've seen them going on a new file on Win XP Pro - do you get them on a new file, or do they not appear on both a new and old one? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;...

Draw line in a chart
I have the following problem. I have a chart (date on x axis) on which I draw a line. How can I obtain the ending points of the line in order to compare, mathematically, their positions to corresponding values of chart at the same date? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements I'm sure your post makes perfect sense to you and might to other readers, but I am los...

how to chart who was working when
Hi there, I'm looking for some help in producing a chart. My organization has hired about 100 folks since 1991, each on contracts of varying lengths of time. Some peoples' contracts have ended, and some have been renewed. I set up some worksheets inputting their names, start and end dates with the intent of producing a graph that will tell me exactly how many people were working for us at one time, based upon 6 month intervals. For example: John Doe 7/29/91 - 3/31/05 Jane Doe 6/21/94 - 2/20/96 Jake Doe 8/2/01 - 4/18/03 I would like a chart that can tell me how many people w...

URL within email
I wish to be able to send an e mail with an active URL so that when the recipient recieves e mail they are taken to the web address once it is clicked. Currently I get an error message unable to open Http://*****.co.uk cannot locate internet sever. Helpfull information appreciated ...

Find and Replace within an XML file
I was wondering if there is a simple method of replacing characters within the xml document. I'm looking at writing a Biztalk Pipeline that escapes illegal characters before they are processed by a HL7 assembler. I.E. replace all instances of & or & with \T\ . I thought about converting to a string and using the replace function, but that would mean knownig all the HTML codes for characters (as the escape characters are to be dynamically chosen by the user). Where as I could via xpath ??? replace all instances of the original character such as &. Hope it makes sen...

Pivot Chart: Stop skipping Dates on X-Axis
I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for each day. Except somedays which may have only the one piece of data from Table 2 or none at all. How do I get the table to automatically fill in all the days whether they have information or not? =?Utf-8?B?UHJpbmNl?= <Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:A5EF53AB-6063-434F-BFC3-43259301751D@microsoft.com: > I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one > table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for &...

Adding Hyperlink to multiple values within a cell
My spreadsheet contains a list of people. The cell next to each nam contains multiple numeric values for identifying a specific piece o information. I would like to be able to click on one of those number (value) and a comment window pop up with the information associate with it, or be hyperlinked to the information further down th speadsheet. I want to avoid using multiple cells for this. Is this possible? Thank -- t2tru ----------------------------------------------------------------------- t2true's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=387 View this...

email charts
I have an excel workbook file containing many department sales charts that recieve data from a group of central data entry spreadsheets. Each department chart resides on its own sheet. Is there a way to email individual chart sheets (or snapshots of the chart sheet) to the respective departments without sending the entire parent file to all recipients? Thanks, Mnaut You could export the chart as a gif file, then email that file to the department. The following code creates a gif file from the active chart: '============================ Sub ExportChartGIF() ActiveChart.Export Filenam...

see chart from pushing button
how would I see a chart from pushing a button on the spreedsheet ? ...

Pivot charts formatting
Hi, I want to change the formatting imposed by default in a pivot chart and I want that changed formatting to be retained permanently. For example, for my bar chart, for the different series I have selected colours / patterns but every time I refresh the pivot table / chart; excel falls back to its own colour coding. Any way to get around this? Many thanks in anticipation. Not directly. The only way to simulate this is to record a macro of the formatting changes that you make and then set it up to run whenever the PivotChart calculates. Assuming your pivot chart is on a seperate shee...

pie-charting non-numeric data
I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K", "J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing one of the four letters. In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses? So you have a column of Yes/No or P/K or J/N? Construct a pivot table of this range, and you can produce counts of each value...

Excel 2003: How to make transparent columns in Excel chart?
If you create a bar plot froma given dataset you can format the columns by right clicking and choosing the desired options. In the tab that opens there is a slider which is supposed tho set the level of transparency of the column (selceted area). But so far i couldn't find a way how to use this slider. I know that there is an alternative way to get transparent bars by creating a rectangular object formating it and the use copy -> paste. But i wonder what is the slider for if you can't use it? Does anybody know have an idea? Cheers, Thomas ...

Switching x-axis & y-axis on line chart
I am working with a large data spreadsheet with year, number and currency data. My problem is when I extract data to create a standard line chart, the chart is defaulting to a specific x-axis and y-axis format with data related to each axis. For visualization purposes, I would prefer to have the data that is currently presented on the x-axis to instead be presented on the y-axis. And likewise, I would like the y-axis data be presented in the x-axis. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this and the MS Excel Help menu does not seem to address this. Can anyone help? If ...

Simple question about text within a cell
I can't seem to find the option that prevents text from covering the adjacent cell. For example if I type the folling in cell A1: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. Obviously that will overflow over the cell B1 (if there is no data in B1). I don't want to resize my column, I only want the cell to show as much text in A1 as possible without covering cell B1. I believe I've seen the option to do what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find it and I can't figure out how to look it up in the HELP file. Thanks in advance. Rick My simple solution ha...

Name range within a name range
In Excel is it possible to create a name range that contains multiple name ranges. As an example, I have created several name ranges with one cell reference, such as Sales(A2), COS(A5), ADM(A7), SELLING(A8), MRKT(A9). I would like to create a name range that I could include the all the name ranges and call it GROSS_PROFIT. If later I add another range I would like to be able to just add the range name to GROSS_PROFIT, such as R&D. Also the reason I chose to use named ranges is my cell references can change from month to month, I find it easier to create formulas using name refer...

Stack Bar Charts
I have yearly information that I would like to graph in a stacked bar chart. I have years 2005 to present Two companies I am comparing with two variables for each company each year. I would like to have the stack bar chart by year reflect the stack of Co A vs Co B on variable 1 + 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You want a clustered-stacked chart: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-bar-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sean wrote: > ...

personal income and expenditure chart
can anybody give me a personal income and expediture chart please Thanks Mike mikeyboy87 wrote: > can anybody give me a personal income and expediture chart please > Thanks Mike You can do this in Excel but why re-invent the wheel? Quicken or Money have far more tools and options. If money is an issue try checking ebay. I purchased Quicken 2004 for about $10 including shipping. It isn't the latest and greatest but it does what I need it to do. gls858 ...

turning off formula bar
I can't remember or find how to turn off the formula bar in Excel 2003? Can someone help please. This is the bar that displays cell contents up top. Thanks! --Randy Starkey Tools>Options>View tab, uncheck Formula bar -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in message news:12kcghhahv0oif4@corp.supernews.com... |I can't remember or find how to turn off the formula bar in Excel 2003? Can | someone help please. This is the bar that displays cell contents up top. | | Thanks! | | --...

Macros within Excel
Is it possible to do a macro to update information between the following situation. 1 - Journal Spreadsheet - same every week - needs to be updated in cells J2, J5, J8, etc. - every 3rd cell with information from spreadsheet 2. 2 - Payroll Spreadsheet - different every week - information in column H - cells H13, H14, H15 update cells in spreadsheet 1 - i.e. H13 to J2, H14 to J5, H15 to J8, etc. When the new payroll spreadsheet (spreadsheet 3) comes into play, it has a different name because of the date i.e. Payroll 2-15-08 - my macro only works from Spreadsheet 1 to Spreadsheet 2 - when...

Chart drilldown to data
I have a client that has MS Excel 2000 bar charts made from worksheet data series. He wants to be able to click on a chart object such as a bar and have the source data come to the front. I have tried to put buttons over the chart but I can't change the button color to match the chart. I can change the chart bar to be the gray color of the button but that is not desirable. Is their a way to send the button to the back behind the chart and still get the button to respond to a click? Is there any way to turn a worksheet cell into a button? The only way I can see is to place a button ov...