Naming charts on own sheet

Hi.

I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets).

I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a
macro).

I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on
them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box.

Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names.

Thanks for your help.
0
BoRed79 (33)

Hi,

If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the
sheet tab name.

What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on
a worksheet.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"BoRed79" <BoRed79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets).
>
> I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in
> macro).
>
> I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on
> them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box.
>
> Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names.
>
> Thanks for your help.

0
andy9699 (3616)
7/2/2007 10:39:12 AM
Will the chart sheets be able to be used in a Macro (by referring to the
sheet tab name) or would they need to be chart objects, so that they can be
named??

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the
> sheet tab name.
>
> What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on
> a worksheet.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "BoRed79" <BoRed79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets).
> >
> > I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in
> > macro).
> >
> > I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on
> > them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box.
> >
> > Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

0
BoRed79 (33)
7/2/2007 11:48:02 AM
You can access both types using the following style of code.

' chart sheet
    With ActiveWorkbook.Charts("Chart1")
        .HasTitle = True
        .ChartTitle.Text = "Chart Sheet"
    End With

' worksheet chart object
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
        With .ChartObjects("Chart 1").Chart
            .HasTitle = True
            .ChartTitle.Text = "Chart Object"
        End With
    End With

Cheers
Andy

--

> Will the chart sheets be able to be used in a Macro (by referring to the
> sheet tab name) or would they need to be chart objects, so that they can
> be
> named??
>

> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the
>> sheet tab name.
>>
>> What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually
>> on
>> a worksheet.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "BoRed79" <BoRed79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own
>> > sheets).
>> >
>> > I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else
>> > in
>> > macro).
>> >
>> > I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking
>> > on
>> > them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box.
>> >
>> > Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.

0
andy9699 (3616)

formula to search and find item sheet1 copy to sheet 2
i need to find an item in a colunm on sheet1 and auto copy that items row of info to sheet2. sheet1 changes with each import of data as to where "wings" may be on line 27 one time and move to 29 on the next import. so i need to search colunm B for "wings", when "wings" is found copy that row of info to sheet2 to create a list on sheet2.the formula will need to be adjustable per line, where as i can just change the item "wings" to "burgers" then insert the formula into line 2 sheet2.this will allow sheet2 to locate "burgers" on sheet1 ...

lines in line chart do not show up
I used this chart the last 2 years and it worked fine. This year, I made a new chart based off the old chart and now the lines don't show up. The markers are there, but the lines are not. Anyone else have this problem?> -- martinson portland Are there blanks in your data range? Select the chart, go to Tools menu > Options > Chart tab, and check Interpolated for how you want blank cells to be treated. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "martinson" <m...

Active chart refreshes slower in 2007
I create active charts with a spin button (Form control) to flip through many sets of y data (by incrementing the y-series row-references using an index controlled by the button). When I used Excel 2000, I used to place the button inside of the chart. (That is where you can only drag it as far as the edge of the chart area, much like placing a text box inside of a chart). By placing it inside, data series refreshed much faster than if it were outside (in the worksheet area itself). In the former case, I was able to flip through all series by holding down the mouse the spin button ar...

merge pivot charts?
I have 3 seperate charts created from 3 pivot tables. each table has a filter office#. user has to go to each table to select office# to get the charts update. Is there any way to merge 3 tables together, that way user can select only one time and get the different info for each table? pivot_table_1 office# answers pivot_table_2 office# answers pivot_table_3 office# answers You can use programming to change the selections in the related pivot tables. There's a sample file here: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under PivotTables, look for 'PT0021 - Chang...

Limiting Chart Series with a Macro
Good Day, Does anyone know how to change the max limit on the x-axis of a chart with a macro? In other words say I have data of rainfall vs time for different countries. Some may have for 10 yrs and other may have for 50. How can I use a macro so that the x-axiswould end on the last date for all graphs? Any Ideas Many Thanks Llednar Randell - This macro finds the largest X max on all of the charts on the active sheet, then applies this to all of these charts. Sub SameXMax() Dim ChtOb As ChartObject Dim dXMax As Double For Each ChtOb In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects ' Find large...

Chart Wizard sorta broken.
Excel 2002(XP)sp3 running on XP Pro. Chart wizard appears to work until rendering the chart on the sheet. The resulting chart is drawn incorrectly. Line and Bar render only a thin vertical line without any data. Preview mode during the chart works ok. Pie charts render as a tiny dot vs a large circle. I have tried uninstalling Excel and re-installing. Insert Graph OLE object works fine. Can't re-install sp3 as it's already been installed. Would it help to completely remove Office as when I re-installed Excel all settigns were still in place, like tool bars and customizatio...

Data from 3 different sheets in the same workbook
We have to produce a pie chart on a new sheet which will show the percentage total of 3 different data that are in 3 different sheets but the cell's still the same (B14 in sheet1, B14 in sheet2, B14 in sheet3). I hold the CTRL button but it doesn't work. Is there a way to create this piechart without linking the 3 data in a fourth sheet? We tried in a lot of different ways but they give us errors (one of them is "reference is not valid") Thanks are there any limitations as to why you could not link to 4th sheet? "Marta" wrote: > We have to produce a pie ch...

Cell value as chart scale maximum
I have a chart on a worksheet and want to make the Y scale maximum value equal the value of cell Y3 (this is a merged cell range Y3:Y5), rounded up to the next “5” increment. For example, 101% in merged cell Y5 would be 105% in the chart Y scale maximum. How would I do this? Hi Phil - Use the approach I describe here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html but link to CEIL(Y3,0.05) instead of Y3. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > ...

Org Charts in Excel 2000
Are organizational charts an option for Excel 2000? If not standard, does Microsoft offer an add-in? You can use MS Organizational Chart right in Excel. Insert menu | Object | Create New tab, and browse in the list for MS Org Chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ FirstVette52 wrote: > I usually make them in another application, then copy/paste them onto > the spreadsheet. PowerPoint uses "MS Organizational Chart", it's > easy to use and EXCEL - friendly. ...

Data dissapears when reformatting a chart
When I create an Excel chart and reformat the X-Y axis data, the original line dissapears and I cannot get it back even by selecting the data field again. (Large data field) The chart is in the same file as the data to be accessed, so that is not the problem. Help! You have not defined your problem in detail. Will you please explain in detail. I think you i can help you. Suggestion: Select the axis which you want to format, then go to format data series, select patterns tab, give the desired color. I think this may help. If not please feel free to contact. Zak "Nateman" w...

Charts and Line Graphs comparing companies with different data
I am trying to create a chart that is a line graph in Excel 2000. I want to compare severao builders price and square feet with each company being a different color. Here is an example Company A has homes that are 2152 square feet at $162000, 2424 square feet at $169000, and 2691 square feet at $178000. Company B has homes that are 2095 square feet at $159000, 2292 square feet at $164000, and 2436 square feet at $173000. There will probably be Companys c thru H as well with different data. Can you help? I have searched the web and all this is greek to me - I need it to be in the...

How to set up pivot to show name of series item in bar chart
I have data on 30 issues. Each issue has multiple characteristics, e.g., magnitude, frequency, cost-to-fix, root cause, etc. I want the issues stacked in a bar chart to depict: 1) Issues by magnitude -with an ID for each issue ( I can get the hover to show the ID/name and other data. I want only the ID/name and want it fixed in the chart, not on hover only. I tried TM's hover macro, and though I had trouble installing it, it doesn't seeem to give me what I want. ) 2) Issues by magnitue by frequency - same story, I want to see the issue no. in the printed bar chart. Any advice wou...

Modify a range name with vb
Hi I have a name define named "DropResource" and the range is A10:A20 If somebody add data to A21, A22 and A23, I would like the vb code that will extend the range to A23 so it become A10:A23 Same thing if someone delete data in A19 and A20, the range become A10:A18 I have try with a macro and put the active cell on A10 and go with Shift End Down but it doesn't work because macro return a fix R and C reference. I would like code that use XL(down) but I don't succeed Thanks for helping You don't need a macro - the name can define itself: Define ...

Employee Name Change
We had an employee get married who is also a user in CRM. When we changed her name in Active Directory, it did not change in CRM. Now when the user tries to run a report, the reports do not run. She gets error message "The property ‘nullable’ of report parameter ‘CRM_Locale’ is set to false. However, the corresponding parameter (default) value is null or contains an empty string. (rsProcessingError)" So we disabled her account in CRM and tried to add in the newly renamed account but CRM would not let us stating that the user was already in the system. Please advise. ...

increase font size on vertical of chart without losing data
I am using Access to create a bar chart. The chart has over 50 namesin the vertical axis. How do I increase the font size so that I do notlose names? If I increase it past 6 font size I get only every otherbar labeled....

Avoid Printing the Combo Box with the Chart
I have a chart sheet with a combo box which I use to select the county I'm interesting in plotting. My question for the group - is there a way to keep the combo box from printing with the chart? Perhaps what I need to do is simply create the chart on a worksheet and print it from there. Just thought I would ask. Its not critical, but I thought it would look nicer if I could leave the combo box off. I wanted to use the chart sheet just to keep things "cleaner". Mike Hi, Right click the combo box and on the properties tab uncheck the Print Object. Cheers Andy mtonkovich...

chart #7
Hello, I'm trying to create a chart that will mimic the candlestick chart but it does not use a timeline. Instead of displaying the timeline along the X-axis, it will show the thickness of the sheet. Sample data available as follow : 1st data set: Thickness: 0.010 Min: 10 Max: 15 2nd data set: Thickness: 0.013 Min: 10 Max: 25 3rd data set: Thickness: 0.025 Min: 15 Max: 35 The chart will display the "Thickness" along the X-axis and the "Soak Range" (Min and Max) along the Y-axis. Microsoft Excel require several variable to create a stock chart, namely: Open, Hi...

Can I change names of fields in calendar?
I am using a calendar like a project manager. I would like to change the names of fields eg Location to Action to be done, Contacts to Action officer. I have been able to change the column headings in Custome view, but this doesn't change teh names of the fields on the calendar form. That is teh form that appears when you make an appointment. No, you can't change them. You could use in-cell editing and create the items in table view, where the column display names can be changed. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &a...

FRx export to Pivot Table
when exporting FRx report to pivot table, is it possible to retain the column name as in FRx report (eg: YTD MAY 2009, MTD MAY 2009) rather than 2009 Period 5 or YTD for Period 5? ...

form validation determines which sheet to add data
Let's say I'm creating a form that a non tech savvy used car dealer uses to enter his newly acquired vehicles to the excel workbook. Each sheet of the workbook is a unique model year of the car. (That would allow him to quickly refer to all vehicles of a given year.) On the input form, I would like validation such that if he selected "2006" from the drop down list of vehicle years, the data from the form would be AUTOMATICALLY be added to sheet "2006", regardless of which sheet is currently showing at the time. What would the code look like? I su...

Chart Area #3
I know I have done before, but can't seem to remember how to get doable results. I want to be able to have 3 different background colors on a chart Green, Yellow, and Red. Then 3 columns that are used to show different numbers. The background colors are to help the viewer see quickly if their numbers are in a valid range. -- Thanks, Nikki Nikki - Here's one way: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/HorizBands.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Nikki&q...

Why create a chart in Excel?
What's the purpose of creating a chart in Excel from the data in my worksheet? What kind of question is that, are you reading from some sort of test or homework? If you contemplate to create a chart surely you must know why? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (Remove ^^ from email) "laney" <laney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27BF2A72-4BF3-478F-B00E-7AD509D3806A@microsoft.com... > What's the purpose of creating a chart in Excel from the data in my > worksheet? The purpo...

How do I plot multiple 3D surface charts
I have created a 3D image of a subsurface reservoir using the 3D surface chart. I would like to add additional images to the same chart, so that the chart will illustrate overlying subsurface reservoirs. I have attempted to do this using Chart - Add data but the resulting chart will display my original data ... the new data is displayed as a vertical wall. Is it possible to display more than one 3D surface image on a single chart in Excel. Thanks XL's 3D surface charts are pretty limited in what one can do with them. You may be able to create 2 separate charts and then mov...

Creating a High-Low-Close chart with multiple series?
Hi Everyone, I’m trying to create a High-Low-Close stock chart with 2 data series. Right now, I can only get the chart to plot a single data series. I’ve spent some time playing with the chart options and doing some internet research but still I haven’t found any answers. My data looks something like this: Stock A Date High Low Close 6/30/2005 5 3 4 7/30/2005 10 6 8 8/30/2005 8 7 7.5 9/30/2005 9 2 5.5 10/30/2005 6 3 4.5 Stock B Date High Low Close 6/30/2005 50 30 40 7/30/2005 100 60 80 8/30/2005 80 70 75 9/30/2005 90 20 55 10/30/2005 60 30 45 Any thoughts? Thanks! ...

Name is not associated with file
Just so that we can keep a running total of those affected by the latest Money Update, I also have been unable to log in either through the usual way or through the posted work arounds. Thanks to the MVPs that have to put up with the badmouthing, the majority of us know you do your best to help us keep things running smoothly. However, the company really is in a bad spot since their latest update has effectively crippled many of us that rely on the program to run our finances. And I fear that by trying to use our backups we will not be able to log in anyway and cause further problem...