Mysteriously Shifting Lines and Text Boxes

I need to call out only certain points on my charts and so I have been using
the Arrow and Text Box tool from the Drawing toolbar.  If I open the file
later, I sometimes find some of the lines and boxes have shifted.  But it
doesn't occur on all graphs.

I have done a search already but it doesn't quite do what I'm looking for.
I need a means to enter my own comment/label and point to the datapoint.  XY
Chart Label makes a label but doesn't create an arrow to correspond.  With
the amount of the datapoints I have, I would have to create an arrow which
could easily shift as it is happening now.

What I need is something like the Comment tool in the spreadsheets
themselves but permanently visible, even when printing.  Any suggestions on
how to accomplish this?
0
f (39)

No drawing object or shape that you can add to the chart will be in any way
linked to the coordinate axes of the chart. If you want a line in the chart
that sticks to the axis value you want, try this:

If you want to circle a point, add a new series with a data point at the
same coordinates, and format the marker as an unfilled circle of an
appropriate border (foreground) color.

If you want some kind of arrow, it's tricky but definitely possible. First
imagine a shape consisting of a circle (or rectangle), with an arrow
pointing from the edge of this circle (but entirely contained within it) to
the exact center of the circle. Orient the arrow around the circumference as
fits the data. Align the arrow and circle, make the circle invisible (no
border, no fill), and group them together. Now make a new series with a
point at the same coords as the one you want to point at. Copy the
arrow/circle group, select this new point that you've added*, and paste. The
shape is now used as a custom marker for this added point, and because the
arrowhead ends at the center of the circle, it continuously points at the
indicated data point.

*If you select the series, every point acquires this custom marker. If you
select one point, which takes another single click after selecting the
series, then just the selected point gets the custom marker.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Wendy F" <Wendy F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to call out only certain points on my charts and so I have been
>using
> the Arrow and Text Box tool from the Drawing toolbar.  If I open the file
> later, I sometimes find some of the lines and boxes have shifted.  But it
> doesn't occur on all graphs.
>
> I have done a search already but it doesn't quite do what I'm looking for.
> I need a means to enter my own comment/label and point to the datapoint.
> XY
> Chart Label makes a label but doesn't create an arrow to correspond.  With
> the amount of the datapoints I have, I would have to create an arrow which
> could easily shift as it is happening now.
>
> What I need is something like the Comment tool in the spreadsheets
> themselves but permanently visible, even when printing.  Any suggestions
> on
> how to accomplish this?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Exchange rich-text format
What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual user settings"? On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:31:01 -0700, CK <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server >to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual >user settings"? Depends on what your users are sending messages as. Most will be using HTML or RTF anyway unless you have some policy in p...

Importing Text File #3
Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to replicate? I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data. Later, when I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and would auto import when I clicked. The best part is that the import specs were retained. I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the functionality. Can someone help? Thanks Bean, It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data. It remembers all the paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, ...

I have a red pencil box
It's red and holds pencils. ...

Display Part Text In Report
I hv this sample report in my field 01-01-08ABCDE.................... I want to display ABCDE........and so on...and not the 01-01-08 What should i do... Thanks zyus, Try this in the Control Source of a text box on your report: =Mid([YourFieldName],9) Caution: The text box name must be different than the field name. If they are the same, change the text box name to txtYourFieldName. Good luck. -- Sco M.L. "Sco" Scofield, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+, Access MVP 2001 - 2005 Denver Area Access Users Group Past President 2006/2007 www.DAAUG.org MS Colorado Events Administrator www....

Change from MS Outlook Rich Text to HTML
I use Outlook 98 and I want to change my message format to HTML so that I can have nice backgrounds etc on my mail. For some reason this facility doesn't seem to be available to me on the 'Mail Format' Tab. It is blacked out and I cannot change it from Rich Text to HTML. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Could it be because I am on a network at work and they have disabled it? If so, how can I enable it? Cheers! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www...

Trouble with hyhens within text when using LOOKUP
I have two columns, each containing a list of part numbers. Some of the part numbers contain hyphens. I am using LOOKUP and/or VLOOKUP to determine if the value in one column exists in the other. This works great on non-hyphenated part numbers. However, it will not find or return the hyphenated part numbers from the specified arrays. As a test, I did a quick if statement to compare the instances of identical hyphenated values that exist in both columns. Those statements did not have a problem with the hyphens. Can anyone offer any help? If hyphens cannot be used in conjunction with the ...

If statement with formatted text
Hi, Is there any way to have an if formula such as: If (A1="Active", "KAE",KPE") where the two letters after the K are formatted as subscript? The best I've done is to paste a picture over the cell. The picture's formula refers to named formula that selects one of two cells, the one with correct string. One cell contains KAE and the other KPE with the subscript. However, it means that I'm using a picture and it would be much nicer if I could just do it in an If formula. I hope that makes some kind of sense, and thanks in advance for your help. D...

instructions disppear when users begin type (text field)
Hi all, I need to customize the outlook contact form and I want to add one text field to allow users to add details info and instruct users how to add. Instructions shows in the field and the instructions disappear when users click and begin to type. How should I do this? exchange 2003/outlook2003 Thank you. It's hard for me to visualize exactly what you're expecting to happen. If you want the instructions to stay on the screen, you could display them in a label control. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumps...

Inbox and unread box
What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook 2003. They both read the same number of messages. Is it a duplicate? With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know the number of unopened messages. Now, there seems to be a separate folder entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number since I installed it. Is anyone able to explain this? I dont' understand it. Thanks in advance. Diana Definitely not a duplicate; it's a S...

Higlihting entire rows or lines?
Hi I was wondering is there any way of highlighting entire lines or rows in word? If you are talking about text lines, clicking next to the line in the left margin will select it. Similarly, you can click next to a table row to select it. (The mouse pointer will look like an arrow.) -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "D Shah" <D Shah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:59141C31-9ABF-4A90-9908-C6E9ACBE8613@microsoft.com... > Hi I was wondering is there any way of highlighting entire lines or rows > in > word? Do you mean as ...

Business Portal
BP 3.0 I am trying to set up our Business Portal to be as easy as possible for our sales team. One of the requests they have made is the ability to find out WHAT PO is COMMITTED to the SPECIFIC line item in an order. Similar to actually looking at GP Sales Transaction Entry window where it gives an icon to show that the item has been purchased, what PO it's been committed to. I have spent hours trying to make this happen. Has anyone else been able to do this? If so, I would appreciate detailed steps. Thank you ...

Using cell text in a formula
I am trying to use derived cell references in a VLOOKUP formula to matc data in several tables. For example, A1 contains the cell reference fo the top left of my array (A3) whilst cell A2 contains the cel reference for the bottom right of my array (D14). The array I' checking against starts in column E3. However, when I use the formula =VLOOKUP(E3,A1:A2,4,FALSE) I get a #N/ error. I need to use the cell references in each VLOOKUP as the arra sizes may vary in each case. (PS, I've used =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,A2) to derive the cell references. Ji -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

How do I find a value on a line?
I made a line graph of data to use as a calibration. I know the y value and I want to find the X value. Is there a way that I find find this specifically on the line without using a trendline formula or guessing by looking at the gridlines? The only way to find a specific value is to use the formula. Rgs, Bou If you can accept piece-wise linear interpolation, see Interactive Chart http://www.tushar- mehta.com/excel/software/interactive_chart_display/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity s...

Change Backcolor for the selected line
I would like to be able to highlight or change the color of a single line on a subform formated as a continuous form. The user selects one line from many possible lines on a continuous form to respond to. When he selects the line another pop-up form is display which the user must complete. I would like to maintain some kind of highlight (backcolor?) so that the user can clearly see which line he is reponding to. Setting the backcolor after selecting a line sets the back color for the entire form, which really defeats the purpose. Any help? -- Message posted via AccessMons...

Saving html message as Draft changes text formatting...
WIN XP HE, OL 2002 Hi, I have recently noticed that whenever I write an email (using Word as editor) in html format, and instead of sending it, save it (to the drafts folder), the text itself changes format from my default to another one. It seems to change in the paragraph style which then changes the text format. The only change I recently made was to edit my signatures in html, rtf and plain text format. When I write a new email, it opens up with the signature already in it and perhaps there are format/style conflicts..? Tx for shedding some light into this. S As an added information, t...

cannot view all of text in large cell, even though I have it to w.
I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. Hi +the limit is 1024 characters. You can extend this with manually inserting linebrekas using aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sydme wrote: > I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no > more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but > still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. ...

Text box jumps to left of page
Word 2004 (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved, niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager to learn.) In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box was requested for it in...

can lookup return cell reference istead of "text" for sumif?
I am trying to use a lookup-function to determine a different sum range for several criteria. Like so: =Sumif($A$7:$A$1447;"<"&X3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false)-Sumif($A$7:$A $1447;"<"&y3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false) The problem is that the vlookup returns text and not the cell reference. Is there a way to get the answer from the lookup expressed as cell reference instead of text, since sumif can't use text, just the cell reference? I use it to calculate the number of hours the staff should be paid, so it's different from weekdays to saturdays, holidays...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

Can i move multiple lines between workbooks
I have a .csv format file listing speed cameras, and the different speeds are identified by two characters at the end of each line - 30, 40, 50 etc. I would like to create separate files for each speed, but Excel won't allow me to cut/copy several lines to created a new file/workbook. Is there any way round this? Martin Ellis Sun, 16 Sep 2007 03:28:00 -0700 from Martin Ellis <MartinEllis@discussions.microsoft.com>: > I have a .csv format file listing speed cameras, and the different speeds are > identified by two characters at the end of each line - 30, 40, 50 etc...

imbed excel cell text in a shape
I need to insert a number into a shape that corresponds to a cell in excel. Kinda like the exploded parts view in a car repair manual. A callout shape with a text value "123" that is linked to cell A1 in file ***.xls. It would be nice to be able to auto generate the callouts from the excel file. shape 123 is cell A1, shape 124 is cell A2 and so on. Thanks what version of visio are you running? al "mystified" <mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80B4E390-190A-41D9-AC4A-F96C1DA6FB6E@microsoft.com... >I need to insert a number into a s...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

Create your personal SMS homepage, let friends send FREE text message to your mobile phone by web
Create your personal SMS homepage, let friends send FREE text message to your mobile phone by web Support over 147 countries and ALL languages (unicode encoding) MSG.to provides a unique personal SMS URL for you. It is easy for friends sending text message to you by web. For example, if your name is Lisa, you can register: http://MSG.to/Lisa (you can use this link to see demo) You can also register your mobile phone number as SMS URL like: http://MSG.to/+886913123456 (you can use this link to see demo) Please visit http://msg.to/ for more information. Related keywords: Short Message Serv...

Dead Exchange box
I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever. Could someone please tell me the best way to get the data back On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:49:02 -0700, AndrewS <AndrewS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) >All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have >managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever....