Multiple Columns in a stacked column chart

Is it possible to create multiple columns of stacked data
sets?  For example:  can I plot monthly data in which each
month is the sum of 3 categories, but plot these stacked
columns for 2 years (side by side per month)?  This
enables me to compare last years monthly totals versus
this years monthly totals on a per month basis?

Justin -

Through careful arrangement of the data in your worksheet, you can make
a stacked column chart that looks like a clustered-stacked column chart.

There is a tutorial showing this technique on Bernard Liengme's site:
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm

which is based on the example on Stephen Bullen's web site:
   http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm
   Go to Charting Examples, and download FunChart4.xls

The following MSKB article has an example:
   XL2000: Creating Charts with Multiple Groups of Stacked Bars
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;214119

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Justin wrote:

> Is it possible to create multiple columns of stacked data
> sets?  For example:  can I plot monthly data in which each
> month is the sum of 3 categories, but plot these stacked
> columns for 2 years (side by side per month)?  This
> enables me to compare last years monthly totals versus
> this years monthly totals on a per month basis?

0
jonNO1 (306)
4/21/2004 9:18:26 PM
With much trepidation, I am thinking of trying to do what you want to do.

I found that Stephen Bullen's website, referred to by Jon Peltier, was under
reconstruction, so couldn't download from it.

One other source of information I found on the topic was at
www.excelforum.com, under the heading "Combined columnar chart (3-5 columns)
and stacked column (1 column, 2 series) as one chart".

"Jon Peltier" <jonNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> Justin -
>
> Through careful arrangement of the data in your worksheet, you can make
> a stacked column chart that looks like a clustered-stacked column chart.
>
> There is a tutorial showing this technique on Bernard Liengme's site:
>     http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm
>
> which is based on the example on Stephen Bullen's web site:
>    http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm
>    Go to Charting Examples, and download FunChart4.xls
>
> The following MSKB article has an example:
>    XL2000: Creating Charts with Multiple Groups of Stacked Bars
>    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;214119
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> Justin wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to create multiple columns of stacked data
> > sets?  For example:  can I plot monthly data in which each
> > month is the sum of 3 categories, but plot these stacked
> > columns for 2 years (side by side per month)?  This
> > enables me to compare last years monthly totals versus
> > this years monthly totals on a per month basis?

0
Leslie
4/23/2004 6:17:36 AM
Jon included an old link -- here's the updated one:

   http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/Default.htm

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

Lowest entry in a column
Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to automatically use the last/lowest entry in a column? I don't want to sort the cells, or choose the Maximum or Minimum - I just need to use the bottom entry in a column automatically in a formula I'll create somewhere else on the spreadsheet. It thought it would be in the functions list somewhere, but it has eluded me! Thanks, Astley Suppose A is the column in question, use the following formula to refer to the last cell: =INDIRECT("A"&COUNT(A:A)) Mangesh "Astley" <ast@exemail.com.au> wrote in message ne...

Copy field data to multiple places

stacked column with total
I created a stacked column chart with 2 series. I'd like to show the total value on top each bar. Right now, show value displays each value of independently. For example, I have a bar showing 3 and 2 stacked but I would like to show 5 (3+2) on the top bar. I've seen on someone graph before. I can't recreate it. Pls help. Thanks Mat Mat Check here http://andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS www.nickhodge.co.uk "matelot" <matelot@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

outlook 2007 monthly calendar six column?
Just converted to Outlook 2007 from 2003, where I could print a monthly calendar with 6 columns: Mon Tue Wed Th Fri Sat/Sun. This freed up some width per column, b/c the weekend days were consolidated. Can't seem to do this with '07. The columns are too skinny (even on landscape) and I can't read appts. Advice? Thx Try the calendar printing assistant or word template- see http://slipstick.me/calprint for links. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

Combo Columns
I've created a combo box on a form in Access using 2 columns. The first column is hidden so the second column is the only one displayed in the combo box. When I then use that combo as the source in a separate text box the answered returned is the first column. Any idea how I get the second column information instead? -- Cheers. Paul ...

Change color of multiple autoshapes
I need to change the color of several autoshape based on different cells I know how to change one autoshape using a worksheet_change event but i can't just copy and paste this and change the object name + cell name. is it possible to have multiple worksheet_change events in the same worksheet?? T-bone, You have only one worksheet_change event, but in it you can test to see which cell was changed with something like If not Intersect(Target, Range("A1") is nothing then ' do range A1 stuff here end if If not Intersect(Target, Range("A2") is nothing then &#...

Combine 2 rows if name is same in Column B & C on both
Combine 2 rows if name is same in Column B & C on both 2 spreadsheets - Sheet 1 is bigger with extra names in column B & C Lastname Firstname Both - Column B & C Lastname Firstname - both sheets Sheet 1 has data in Col. D & E Sheet 2 has data in Col. F & G Sheet 1 has extra names not in Sheet 2 If Sheet 1 B&C = Sheet 2 B&C , then add F&G columns from sheet 2 , behind D& E columns on sheet 1 , for the match of names in Column B & C Thanks kerns.walter@epa.gov On Nov 13, 12:50 pm, wk <kerns.wal...@epa.gov> wrote: > Combine 2 rows if name...

How do I add multiple times together
Hi does anyone know how I can add multiple times togther and get the anser in hours and minutes. I have formatted the cell for time however when I atosum I keep getting an answer that is incorrect. Any help? Thanks D Maybe it was just a formatting problem. Try a custom format of: [hh]:mm Playhouse pm wrote: > > Hi does anyone know how I can add multiple times togther and get the anser in > hours and minutes. I have formatted the cell for time however when I atosum I > keep getting an answer that is incorrect. Any help? > Thanks > D -- Dave Peterson ...

Filtering a column to exclude any repeated entries.
Hi, I am working on a column that has the same entries 2 or more times. Is there a way (copy-paste or other) to get only unique entries from this column (that is to exclude repeated entries)? Any help apprieciated, Thank you. If you go to Data/Filters/Advanced Filters there is a box at the bottom left that you can tick to return unique entries only. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I am working on a column that has the same entries 2 or more times. Is there >a way (copy-paste or other) to get only unique entries from this >column (that is to exclude repeated...

Using a variable for a chart limit
Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Vince F Hi, See Jon's information http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy Vince F wrote: > Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell > reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, > but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Andy Pop...

multiple instances of IE on same site
I have winxp and use IE 8. My problem is that I have 2 usernames on some web forums. I used to be able to login using both usernames and have both instances running simultaneously. Now I can't. Everytime I'm logged in and try to initiate another instance the username just changes. It does not allow me to open 2 IEs with 2 usernames at the same time. I'm pretty sure this is just a setting but I don't know where it is. The reason I think it's an IE setting is that when I try to login with a competitor browser as the 2nd user...it allows it. Any help would be gre...

Multiple entries in CRM Contacts when viewed from Outlook
Hi everyone, We have an odd problem going on here with this. When we create a new E-mail in Outlook, select the To button and the CRM Contacts, it brings up the list of contacts from CRM that we can select from. All good so far. The problem is that each contact appears several times and it's different for different users. For example, every contact appears 6 times for me. It makes for a very long list. All of them are valid and any one of those 6 can be selected and the address will be correct and it will track against the correct contact. Other users have anywhere from the correc...

compare two columns with different ranges in two worksheets
I need to compare two columns of data in two different worksheets and display a third one. Here it is an example: -(worksheet1!A1:A10), (worksheet1!B1:B10) and (whorksheet2!C1:C25) -this is my query, if C5 is already in (A1:A10) I want to display B5 in worksheet2!D5 I think it is tricky because you need to identity which row in the A1:A10 is equal to C5 to display B5 and the range are different. you could save my day chris90 In worksheet2!D1: =if(isna(vlookup(C1, worksheet1!$A$1:$B$10, 2, 0)), "", vlookup(C1, worksheet1!$A$1:$B$10, 2, 0)) HTH Kostis Vezerides brilliant, ma...

Manual for beginners -- Charts with Excel
You may find useful a training manual I wrote for making charts in Excel. The manual is for beginners to intermediate users. [So, no VBA and dynamic ranges and stuff]. Great for teaching college students or self-mastering the Excel Charts facility. In any case, the book is free at http://www.vgupta.com VJ ...

Excluding multiple checking accounts from budget totals?
Howdy! Running Money06, and I have two checking accounts synching through Bank of America. Everything there is working well, but one thing that I dont like is that the totals for BOTH accounts are added together. I have two accounts, 'personal' and 'class', and both accounts are shown in the net balance statements, the 'spending by catagory' chart on the home page etc. I would like to keep synched with my class account, but want it excluded from all of the balances.. any suggestions? "Raichean" <Raichean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

How to change a bar to line in a combo chart?
I am currently using Excel & PPt 2000 and cannot figure out how to control which rows of data are displayed as a bar or line in a combunation chart. In PPt it combo bar/line chart defaults to the last row only as a line and in Excel it seems to have half as a bar/ half as a line. Any suggestions? In the chart, select the series you want changed. Then, select Chart | Chart Type... and pick the desired type+subtype. When a single series is selected the chart type choice applies only to that one series. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-...

Invisible bar on bar chart
Hello, I have a stacked bar chart with 3 bars ie 'series' of data. I have made the 1st (bottom) bar invisible by setting its border, fill pattern etc to 'none'. So far so good. I want to make the bar visible again, but I cannot find out how to 'select' it in order to change its format! I need to double-click on it ? Am I missing something ? Help please ? KK With the chart selected, use the arrow keys and watch the Name box. When you see the series you want click the Format item on menu bar best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove cap...

Multiple recipients for one address
Total newbie question. I work for a company with a dedicated service department. I need for up to 5 people to be able to get a copy of a message that comes in to the address "servcie@ourdomain.com". I tried adding this address to each of the users, but I can't give one address to multiple users. I don't want to create a "Service" user and have them check that account. I just want the emails to be routed from the service@ address to each users' inbox. Total newbie, so detailed answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Create a mail-enabled Grou...

Problems Sending Messages to domains w/ multiple MX records
Got a question for the Exchange experts out there. We have a wierd situation occuring where e-mails we send to domains w/ multiple MX records either do not get through or the recipient receives the message multiple times until we manually delete the message in the ESM/Queues. All other messages get through fine. We have come to this conclusion (problem is with multiple MX records) by testing the domains we are having problems w/ using www.dnsstuff.com DNS Lookup tool for MX records. All of them come back w/ multiple MX records. Here is what has changed recently: We moved to a new locat...

make a Year to date column
Can someone please suggest how I can get the year to day column display Nothing if there is not anything in the preceding column? Eg... Column K is YTD. Column J is Invoice total. I figured out how to hide the zeros in the J column... but can't figure out how to make K show nothing until there is a figure in J. Its a simple sheet. Just adds invoices.. and provides a YTD figure. But looks DUMB when the last YTD figure is carried all the way down the column. Thank you ... Try something like this in say, K2, copied down: =IF(J2="","","<yourCumuYTDformul...

Line Chart 03-22-10
I am trying to create a chart that will allow me to have multiple years on the same chart so the difference can be seen from year to year. Second problem is there a limit to what can be entered into the axis. I'm not sure if this is clear or not. Appreciate any assistance. EXCEL 2007 Please check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 53. Open the Workbook and go to the Chart Worksheet. 1. Change data range A4 to A8 to, for example:- 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 These dates will then appear in the Horizontal Axis of the chart. This gives y...

Excell column naming PROBLEM, HELP PLEASE
My Excel is showing rows as numbers (1,2,3, etc) as it should, but the columns are showing as 1,2,3 (numbers) as well instead of A,B,C,D how can I fix this PLEASE!!!! tools-options-gneral-R1C1 reference style -uncheck this. ====== "ANA" <ANA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5067333-D1FA-4951-A4B1-38910FFF597A@microsoft.com... > My Excel is showing rows as numbers (1,2,3, etc) as it should, but the > columns are showing as 1,2,3 (numbers) as well instead of A,B,C,D how can I > fix this PLEASE!!!! XL2k "Tools->Options-General" and unc...

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

looking for duplicates & unmatched between two columns
Hi - I'm looking for a function that will look at a cell (containing text) in one column and then look to a range of cells in another column and if a match is found to indicate "1" if not found to indate "0" ***** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***** Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Michael" <mweber@ulr-ins.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4072cbf6$0$202$75868355@news.frii.net...