Moving Data Range in Chart

 I have a spreadsheet that I continually add data to. I have a chart
based on the data. My problem is I want the chart to only show the last
5 data points entered in the spreadsheet and continue to do so ass I
add more data.
Example Data:

LOT NUMBER           DATA
1                               13
2                               12
3                               14
4                               12
5                               13
6                               15

As I add data I want the chart to show only the last 5 entries.
Is there a simple way to do this?

Peter:

This is pretty straight forward You simply need to set up dynamic range
names for your X and Y variables.

The linked tutorial shows you an example dynamic XY chart that will
automatically plot the last number of data items that you specify.

http://processtrends.com/pg_dynamic_charts.htm

If you have any questions about this example, let me know.

....Kelly

koday@processtrends.com

"Peter" <sleepyhouse98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a spreadsheet that I continually add data to. I have a chart
> based on the data. My problem is I want the chart to only show the last
> 5 data points entered in the spreadsheet and continue to do so ass I
> add more data.
> Example Data:
>
> LOT NUMBER           DATA
> 1                               13
> 2                               12
> 3                               14
> 4                               12
> 5                               13
> 6                               15
>
> As I add data I want the chart to show only the last 5 entries.
> Is there a simple way to do this?

0
dkod (205)

how do i remove the cells from a sheet when working with a chart
I created a chart but I want to remove the cells, so the background is gray and nothing can be selected except the chart. Thank you. instead of greying out you can hide the cells or column but chart also may disappear but see this message from Andy Pope to one of the queries in the newsgroup quote Hi Rick, Yes there is, Select the chart and then use the menu Tools > Options. On the chart tab is a checkbox 'Plot Visible Cells Only', uncheck this to get your chart working. Cheers Andy unquote "Jorge" <Jorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DDCE735...

Populate data from one table to another table via form
The tblContractsPrime table captures prime contract data from the frmContractsPrime form. The frmContractsPrime form is completed first. Some prime contracts have subs. The subs data is captured in the frmContractsMBE and frmContractsWBE form and populate tblContractsMBE and tblContractsWBE tables, respectively. The sub form is embedded in the Prime form. The project and project description remain the same for the Prime and subs on each contract. How do I capture the project and project description from tblContractsPrime or frmContractsPrime and populate tblContractsMBE and / or tblCo...

Automatically skip dates when data is zero
In a clustered column chart, is there a way to make Excel automatically "skip" a date (or dates) on the X-axis when the value for the date(s) equals zero? Thanks in advance for any help. Bob This example use a formula in a helper column to exclude any data with zero values from the chart. http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/site/analysis/bar_chart_exclude_zero_values The next example is slightly more complex as it excludes the zero values from a pie chart as well as sorts the data. http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/site/analysis/pie_chart_exclude_zero_values Hopefully ...

Creating Excel chart sheet using C#
Hello, I'm writing a tool using VS 2005 SP1 (C#) which processes some survey data within Excel (2007). And have gotten the point where I need to create a chart displaying some results. However, when executing the 2nd line of code below. I get "Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC." After lots of searching , etc, I haven't been able to narrow down a cause. Any ideas? Chart ch = (Chart)wb.Charts.Add(Type.Missing, (Worksheet)wb.Worksheets[1], 1, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.XlChartType.xlXYScatter); ch.SetSourceData(ws3.get_Range("J2:K38",Type.Missing), Mic...

Horizontal line chart
Hi, I have prepared a bundle of column that has one XY scatter plot serie It works great, updates with VBA, no problem. Now I was asked to add one additional point in each serie to the char with some calculations. Although looked to be be very easy job, it' not, as the file get corrupted while modyfing the data source for thi chart using the MS chart interface. I've tried to put the modificatio into the command line and it works for the chart. Unfortunately it doe not record while macro recoding ('Macro recording not possible' error that is essential to update automatically t...

How to merge Outlook profiles without losing data?
Hello, We have to configure Outlook 2000/XP profiles on a few thousand workstations using the standard tools available, logon scripts, SMS and GPO. There will be 3 possible profile configurations: 1) Outlook has never been run and no profile exists; 2) Outlook has been run and used locally in "standalone" mode by the user for personal use; 3) Outlook has been used against an Exchange 5.5 server in another Exchange Organisation, but only to provide a shared calendar and access to public folders (the server data will be migrated separately to an E2K3 server in another Exchange Organi...

2-direction stacked bar chart
Hello everyone, Here is a problem that has been puzzling me. I am looking to create a column or bar chart that moves in two directions. Essentially, I want to include 16 variables on my chart, 1 bar for each variable, and the four categories that make up each variable stack on each other. I am looking to have the variable name up the left side of the graph (ordinarily the Y axis), and the % axis on the bottom of the graph (x-axis.) For simplicity sake, lets call the categories of each variable C1-C4. Using 0% as the origin, I want the categories 1 and 2 to be to the left of the line (...

how to reposition a data table in chart
I have a text book [QUE] that shows a data table positioned vertically on the right hand side of the chart - rather than at the traditional 'bottom'. How do I achieve that? I'm having trouble finding where to do it. Thanks for any help Hi, Without seeing the book it is hard to say. There is not builtin way of changing the position of the table. But here are some possible techniques they may have used, - worksheet cells positioned next to the chart - made the table with linked text boxes and shapes - produced a picture of the table, via copypicture, and then rotated it. Cheers...

XY Scatter chart
Hi, I have a user who has created an XY scatter chart, and within the horizontal axis options dialog box chose a fixed 100.0 maximum. This mark is not showing on his chart. If we increase the value to 200.0, the 100 marker appears. any ideas as to why the 100 mark would not show even when the option indicates 100.0? Choosing "Auto" does not fix it. Since I'm not familiar with these types of charts, I'm not sure what information to provide. It seems that if the option was set to 100.0 maximum, the 100 marker should display on the chart. Thanks for any suggestions. To a...

excel macro needed
I want a Marco that will search for numbers ending in CR see below and then shift the amounts ending with CR from col J to Col K. Thanking you in advacne for your assistance J K 1,619.53 2,195.00 242,483.15 302.61 721,171.17CR 425,093.66CR 39,354.94 180.00CR 5,201.34CR 834.60CR 16,968.80 17,577.92 44,204.32 hi something like this..... Sub moveit() Dim r As Range Dim lr As Long lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row Set r = Range("J2:J" & lr) For Each cell In r If Right(cell, 2) = &qu...

HELP Problem moving mailboxes.
I was moving several mailboxes to a new Mailbox Store tonight and while the boxes were being moved, the stores dismounted for some reason. Several of the mailboxes had already been moved, but four of them had not completed. I then remounted the store and tried moving one of the mailboxes again to the new store. This did not occur due to the duplicate mailbox in the destination. The error details stated that the duplicate mailbox had been deleted. My questions are: 1. Are the original messages all still in the source mailbox, since some of the data had been copied/moved to the des...

Excel chart : I want to plot on the same chart bar and line
I'm having trouble with the custom bar and line chart. I have an average and 3 sub groups for 3 years (X axis) The average and sub groups can share one axis. I want the average as a bar, the 3 subs as lines. All I can get currently is 2 bars and 2 lines - I cannot make the first sub group move from a bar to a liine presentation. How do I do this? Thanks It will help if you use the Excel terminology. If the bars are vertical, it's a column chart. Forget the built in custom types. Make a line chart with all of your data. Select the series you want to change, go to Chart menu > ...

Linked Data within workbook
I have data in one base spreadsheet that has been filtered, copied, and pasted as a link in another spreadsheet within the same workbook. If I resort, or add, or delete from the base spreadsheet, then the data in the linked spreadsheet is different. Is it possible to 'lock' the data in the base spreadsheet so any changes to it does not change the filtered and linked data? rudy1010 wrote: > I have data in one base spreadsheet that has been filtered, copied, and > pasted as a link in another spreadsheet within the same workbook. If I > resort, or add, or delete from t...

Loop through a range Open a file
Hello I have a range AA3:AA:33 that contains either "yes" or "no". and a list of files (myfile.csv) in A3:A33 I would like to loop through the range AA3:AA33 and if the value is yes open the coresponding file in column A. The path to the file is previously determined by code to be MyPath. Thanks Try code like the following Dim R As Range For Each R In Range("AA3:AA33").Cells If StrComp(R.Text, "yes", vbTextCompare) = 0 Then Workbooks.Open Filename:=MyPath & "\" & _ R.EntireRow.Cells(1, "A&...

Fund Raising Chart
Does anyone know of a way to create a fund raising chart in Excel? I'm looking for something like a temperature chart. I want it to be interactive so when i update the excel spreadsheet it will update the chart. Any ideas? Sharon I have just put up an EXCEL 2007 example for you at:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ It is item number 25 at the top of the page. If you change any of the numbers in column B the chart will update automatically. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "samiauthor" wrote: > Does anyone know of a way t...

Data entry & Formula in same cell
Is it possible to have a value entered into the same cell that the formula resides. For example... in cell A1 you enter 1 (for 1 foot)and this same cell calulates how many inches (A1 equals 12) One addition question is there a way to have a cell round up to the nearest even number? Thank you so much for your help. Hi Bridge 1. without VBA code it is not possible to enter a value and a formula at the same time into one cell. 2. If you number is stored in A1 use the formula =EVEN(A1) HTH Frank Bridge wrote: > Is it possible to have a value entered into the same cell > that the for...

Noncontiguous ranges printed on one page????
My boss swears he knows of a way to print noncontiguous ranges on one page, without using the "copy/paste picture link" method...of course, he claims he just can't remember how to accomplish this. I say "no way...can't be done." Is he correct? Does anyone know of a way to do this? Oh, and without hiding columns or copying data to a new worksheet...and no macros, either. I'd insert a new worksheet. Then select the first range edit|copy back to the new worksheet shift-edit|Paste picture link Then do the same with the second range. ajchula wrote: > > ...

Relative Chart Title?
Is there any way to use a cell reference in a chart title? ...

Label Ranges
Labels seem to work in formulas provided only that the option is turned on at Tools, Options. What is the purpose then of the Label Ranges dialog? Obviously it is for adding ranges thathave labels but what is achieved? ...

average if
Hi I have the following data Col-A Col-B 1/10/2009 10:20 0.006 1/10/2009 10:22 0.007 1/10/2009 10:24 0.006 ........ 1/06/2010 15:00 0.015 etc What I would like to be able to do, is to calculate the average of the vaules in Col B only between certain time periods i.e. 2am and 4am for each day in the data set Any help appreciated. Many Thanks Chris =AVERAGE(IF((HOUR(F8:F28)>=10)*(HOUR(F8:F28)<11),G8:G28)) An array formula that must be entered using ctrl+shift+enter -- Don Guillett Micr...

I'm nto charts, please be nice. (Bar graph question)
I have a bar graph and when the numbers are populated, they set on top of the bar. Is there away to have the number huver/float above the bar? I have 6 bar graphs and I have to click on the amonts and move it up some so your able to see the number and no, my boss will not let me use the background "opaque". Thanks Hi, Right click the data labels and on the Alignment tab is a droplist containing Label Positions. Try the Outside End position. Cheers Andy pgarcia wrote: > I have a bar graph and when the numbers are populated, they set on top of the > bar. Is there away t...

remove from Pivot table items deleted in the source data sheet
Hi, I deleted large amount of records from the data source, but the corresponding items still show up in the drop-down list box of the row field in the pivot table. Does anybody knows how to remove these items ? I already tryed re-defining with the wizard the range of cells that contains the records. Thanks! Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I deleted large amount of records from the data source, but the >corresponding items still show up in the drop-down list box of the row field >in the pivot table. Does anybody kno...

cleaning data
Hi how can i clean old data? When this year is ending I wil backup this year and erease all data from this year. The backup is then only all the data of the year 2006. I am working whit 2006 Thanks Johnie See my reply in microsoft.public.uk.money -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Johnie" <johniewas36@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:453e042b$0$22657$c887b34@newsreader14.eweka.nl... > Hi >...

Move images along with cells, similar to Word
Hello, in Microsoft Word, when you put in an image, you can set it to move along with the text content (text moves down 3 lines, so does image). You can also set it so that the image never gets cut off, it'll automatically bump to a new page to stay intact across one sheet. I'd like to have similar behaviour in Excel if at all possible. I'm using Excel 2002 :S. "phillr" wrote: > Hello, in Microsoft Word, when you put in an image, you can set it to move > along with the text content (text moves down 3 lines, so does image). You can > also set it so tha...

Creating an Organizational Chart
-- Can anyone tell me how to create an organizational chart in excel. I just bought this software for that specific purpose (home & student series), but I don't know how to draw the lines connecting the boxes. I would appreciate any help! Thanks so much, Fayela Fayela - Two ways in Excel 2007: (a) Choose Insert | (Illustrations) SmartArt | Hierarchy | Organization Chart. (b) Choose Insert | (Illustrations) Shapes | ... After you create the first shape, the Drawing Tools ribbon will appear, and the connectors are available in the Lines section of the Insert Shapes group. ...