Move the Y axis below negative values

Hi,

I am currently creating a line graph which has both negative and positive
values.  However the line cuts through the descriptions on the y axis, how
can I move the y axis to the bottom of the graph below the negative values so
people can still read these descriptions?

0
Mel1 (144)

Hi,

There is an explanation here.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip002.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

To move the entire axis to the bottom, double click on the other axis, and
on the scale tab, change the Axis Crosses At value. Don't simply use the
minimum of this axis, because it won't work when the values change. Instead
choose the lowest number that you can think of, like -1e300 for a linear
scale, or 1e-300 for a log scale; this number will always be less than the
axis minimum.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Vic Mel" <Vic Mel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am currently creating a line graph which has both negative and positive
> values.  However the line cuts through the descriptions on the y axis, how
> can I move the y axis to the bottom of the graph below the negative values
> so
> people can still read these descriptions?

test a range for value....
Hi, I have a column of dates, formatted as date dd/mm/yyyy. I would like to have a formula in one cell that will evaluate the entire range to check if all the dates are within a given year. If A1 is 01/01/2008, I can put =year(a1)=2008 in B1 and return a true or false, but I can't seem to get it to work for a range rather than just an individual cell. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA. Jim Assuming your dates are in column A, with the search date 01/01/2008 in B1. This formula will count how many dates are not in the same year as B1: =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A1:A1000)=3DYEAR(B...

Sumif returning incorrect value

Moving to Windows from a Mac
I have used Macs for years and think the are the best. However what I dislike is that I am CONSTANTLY having to upgrade my OS just to get the support of many third party apps. Windows XP is 4 years older than Mac OSX Tiger, and companies still support it, run it, and produce software for it. Yet many are moving away from Tiger and requiring that I run the latest Mac OS to run their software, or in the case of Quicken, to get my bank statements. Intuit says that downloading credit card statements via Quicken requires the latest and greatest and so in April of next year will abandon Tige...

How do I apply conditional formatting to axis labels?
I would like to apply conditional formatting to my horizontal axis based on the value of that data point. If the value exceeds a threshold it would cause the category axis label for that point to change font, color, etc. or I would like to apply conditional formating to a series based on the value of the data point in the series. If the value excedds a threshold it would cause the bar (bar graph) for that point to be different from the others. Axis labels are treated as a unit, you can't format individual labels. You could set up a dummy axis and use VBA to control its formatting. ...

Summing cell values based on the value of another
Greetings to all, I need to sum cell values based on the value of another. Here is the example... A B 1 44.00 $5,874.40 2 44.00 $- 3 44.00 $- 4 23.00 $516.67 5 44.00 $557.20 If A1:5 = 44 then sum B & the row in column A that equaled 44... So the total should be $6431.60 I've been banging my head on this for a while and just can't seem to figure out where I'm going... TIA, Tom =SUMIF(A:A,A1,B:B) or =SUMIF(A:A,44,B:B) if you just need 44 "tearl42" wrote: > Greetings...

freeze values
XL2000 I made a sheet that helps me do estimates based on several different products and lengths. everything works perfectly but one little detail When I input some sizes, excel does its thing, and give me all the information in six separate cells. Problem is, in six cells just below I need to estimate basically the same product but with different sizes when I change the sizes all of the information changes on the first six cells Question is there away to freeze the first six cell information before I change the size for the next size cells Hi Alan AFAIK only be "removing&qu...

How to bold daily max values
I have one year of hourly data in one column and the date in another column. I'd like to write some excel functions to bold the daily max values. Any help is greatly appreciated! Ginger Conditional formatting would do this, but I don't understand the data. Can you post some sample data? -- HTH Bob Phillips "Ginger" <Ginger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34230977-525A-476E-A29F-AA27144E1E10@microsoft.com... > I have one year of hourly data in one column and the date in another column. > I'd like to write some excel functions to bold t...

Publisher 2000 text moves when viewing in Publisher 2003 and up
I received many Publisher 2000 documents from a client. I work for a commercial printer and due to problems separating the colors in Pub 2000, I need to open the files in 2003 or newer. When I open the files in Pub 2003 and 2007 the text reflows incorrectly around some images and even runs through some images. And in some cases where there are no images on the page...only text...the text boxes seem to shift up slightly causing collumns of text not to line up. I am out of ideas for workarounds and my client can not afford the cost for me to manually fix every single text box in the hund...

Enter Different values in Project Server and get in Reporting
I want to know actually I will create a report in reporting tool. I want to enter different values which may be numeric and text and may be select from drop down list which i will enter in my project at project professional . and when the report will be create in reporting tool. the values which i entered in my project may be in project information dialog box and other way will be display at report. my first question is How I can enter different values which for my project in project professional. and these values will be at published database or in reporting database or I ...

Comparing values of two charts
Thank you in advance for your assistance. I and trying to create a tool I can use to grade class assignments; one in particular uses charts. The class assignment the students are responsible for handing in will be one Excel file. I was hoping there was a way to sort of "extract" certain field values from the charts properties as well as the header/footer properties. If I were able to compare the one student's with my master copy it would save alot of time. If a more detailed explanation is required, I'll try to give you more. g ...

not draw zero values in a line chart
Hi I’m trying to create a line chart but I don´t want the zero values or empty cells to be draw. the line should be inetrpolated from de last value to the next . Two parts To skip blank cells, go to Tools-Options->Chart. Select Plot empty cells as not plotted. (Note cell must be empty, not a formula returning "") Zero values are a little trickier. You'll need to either remove them (Find and Replace) or if they are a formula, have the formula return the #N/A error. Example: =IF(A1=0,NA(),A1) XL charts ignore the #N/A error as they are, by definition, 'not appli...

How to enter several values separated by return key in a cell
Hi Guys G'day. I want to enter alpha, beta, gamma in an excel cell one by like : Alpha(return key press) Gamma(return key press) Beta(return key press) Zita inside a single excel cell. But I couldn't. When I press the return key after I entered the value Alpha it goes to next cell. How can we overcome this and enter several values in one cell? Thank you. Jane Just hit the space bar instead of enter. But why would you want to do this? -- Ken Russell "Jane Humbrey" <janehumbrey@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:F8Fqb.11113$Mn.286303@news.xtra.co.nz... | Hi Gu...

Moving mailboxes and outlook profile on end users
I have two exchange 2003 servers in my site. I moved a mailbox from one server to the second server. It was my mailbox I moved first for testing. Now when I login to outlook 2003 I get can't connect errors. I had to manually re-create my outlook profile and point it to the right server. It was not done automatically for me. Isn't exchange supposed to re-direct clients exchange profile to the correct server? Both servers are enterprise edition Exchange servers, running on server 2003 std. Any info on this anywhere? How long did you wait after moving it? This is most lik...

Adding a value to a customer ID?
Hello! I have a case number for a patient. 2009-001, for example, in C2. I also have a contact number for the patient's family member, in D2. How can I combine the patient's case number 2009-001 from C2 with an entry in D2, 2009-001-01for each contact? Example: Jane Doe is case number 2009-001. She has two children, Josh and Jolene. Josh would be contact number 2009-001-01. Jolene would be contact number 2009-001-02. Then we'd have another case number: Doctor Pepper, 2010-003. She has three contacts: Coke, 2010-003-01, Sprite, 2010-003-02, and Jack Daniels, 2010-00...

Automated way to move messages to a non-outlokk folder
I need an automated way to move messages from an inbox to a non-outlook folder saved as .msg files. See the MailItem.SaveAs method. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Category Manager - Manage and share your categories: SAM - The Sending Account Manager: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en> Am Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:04:06 -0700 schrieb STMII: > I need an automated way to move messages from an inbox to a non-outlook > folder saved as .msg files. ...

search value based on 2 criteria
Hi all I currently have an excel spreadsheet with 3 columns. Namely, Date, Name and Amount. In another summary worksheet, the total amount paid by each person every month and the date of payment will be displayed. I've managed to sum the total amt paid per person with help of Norman Harker in this forum. But I am still stuck at how to retrieve the payment dates in my summary? I tried Vlookup but unsuccessful as I need to search the data based on 2 criterias Name and Month. Is there anyway to do this using excel worksheet functions Please refer to the following sample data for an exampl...

testing a cell for a date value
Hi, Is there a way I can test the contents of a cell to see if it is a date? Thanks. Hi! You can use this: =ISNUMBER(A1) Dates are really just formatted numbers. So, a cell that contains a number will also evaluate the same as a date entry: 7/15/2006 10 Using ISNUMBER, both will evaluate to TRUE. (provided that the DATE entry is a real Excal date and not TEXT) Biff "Karen53" <Karen53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6AE4B78-1EE4-4A6D-A16B-3BA9CE42C5C2@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Is there a way I can test the contents of a cell to see if it ...

Comments in Excel minimized and moved to top of spreadsheet?!? #4
I have a fairly large Excel spreadsheet with a lot of comments added throughout it. for some reason all the comments have been minimized to a line where I have to open each one up individually. They are also now all lined up at the top of the worksheet instead of just beside their corresponding cell. I have been manually trawling through each comment resizing and moving them back to their cell. a long process! Any idea why this has happened and is there a way to globally reset the comments? ...

column chart stacks data when i add a secondary vertical axis
I am creating a column chart. I have two sets of data that need to be compared but with a different vertical axis. When I select "format data series" to indicate which sets of columns will utilize the secondary axis excel stacks the columns. I have not been able to prevent this. I won't go into how frustrating this has been, let's just stick to a solution. Look here and all your worries are over http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "scott" <...

to reconise Y or N with a colour ?
i will have a colum that requires a yes(Y) or no (N) answer . every time i i write (Y) for eg in a cell i would like that cell to be blue, and red for (N) how do i do this . help would be much appreciated. thanks Use conditional formatting. Look up 'Highlight cells that meet specific conditions' in the Answer wizard in help -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mooieblue" <mooieblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0525B62-D7E8-4043-A497-6E0089D6F1E6@microsoft.com... > i will have a colum that requires a ye...

COUNTIF coll A has x and Coll B has y
I can use the countif to check for coll. A having "x" =COUNTIF( A:A,"x") I get 3. but I need to count how many rows also have "Y" in B A B x y z y x y x k in this case, I should get a answer of 2. Any suggestions? One way: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="x"),--(B1:B100="y")) If you're using XL07 or XL08: =COUNTIFS(A:A,"x",B:B,"y") In article <D699BB35-FC0E-42D4-9BFC-8881013FE362@microsoft.com>, jimd <jimd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I can use the countif to c...

Secondary axis only?
I am using Excel to create a dashboard report and therefore the graphs are really close together. The graphs are line graphs and I wanted to alternate the side in which the axis shows up so it doesn't clutter the page. Is there a way to move the Y axis to the right side on some grahs instead of on the left or do I have to create a secondary axis where the primary has no data. Hi JICDB, Double click on the X axis values then on the scale tab check 'value (y) axis crosses at maximum category' HTH Martin Awesome! iT worked great! Thanks! "MartinW" wrote: &...

y-axis titles get cut off #3
I tried them, and it seems that they were already unfrozen. Oh well thanks anyways. Any other ideas -- choola ----------------------------------------------------------------------- choolan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27644 Try adding a couple of spaces, followed by a period, at the end of the title. You can format the period in white font colour, so it won't print. Jon Peltier has a couple of other suggestions in the following posting: http://groups.google.c...

Moving Outlook to a new computer...
Is there anyway to move all the files outlook would need from oen computer to another with one step? I have Outlook 2k3 and am moving to a new computer. I know I have the PST files with the data, I can export the rules, etc. But is there anyway to have Outlook just export everything to make it nice and easy? --Old Emails (PST files) --Rules --Mail Settings (POP/SMTP info for multiple accounts) --anything else. 1. Pst files are automatic with Outlook copying the .pst file. 2. Export the rules using the Rules and Alerts Options Setting. 3. Accounts have not been exportable since Outloo...

zero value when copying cells between worksheets
i have a problem copying cells between worksheets in the same workbook. most of the cells copy and are linked OK but the 2 final columns in the worksheet table copy and show a zero value. in the formula bar it shows that the cell is copying the correct data. if you copy the data from a cell that is working within the same worksheet it just copies the total from the cell and then when you F2 the cell it shows a xero value. this is difficult to explain but it seems that most of the worksheet is working OK but the end 2 columns are acting quite differently. It sounds like you're using...