merged cells and creating charts

I have tried to create a chart with data that is in merged cells where I have
put in a formula to calculate the average of 4 cells in the row above. When I
create the chart, it recognizes all 4 of the merged cells. So the graph has 4
spaces for the data for each number I am trying to plot. I just got 2007
version and do not recall this problem at all in 2003 version
0
User (142)

Merged cells are to be avoided at all costs.
They can be used for column heading but for little else.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Troubled excel user" <Troubled excel user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:72A7A81B-D589-4674-ADAB-75135C62C18E@microsoft.com...
> I have tried to create a chart with data that is in merged cells where I
> have
> put in a formula to calculate the average of 4 cells in the row above.
> When I
> create the chart, it recognizes all 4 of the merged cells. So the graph
> has 4
> spaces for the data for each number I am trying to plot. I just got 2007
> version and do not recall this problem at all in 2003 version

0
bliengme (657)
10/8/2009 4:39:02 PM
I'd be willing to guess that Excel 2003 would have behaved the same.
Thank you for adding yet another example to the countless demonstrations
(listed in the archives of these Excel newsgroups) of why merged cells
should be avoided like the plague.
We keep advising people, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot by
using merged cells when there are usually much better alternatives (such as
the alignment option to "Center across selection").
--
David Biddulph

"Troubled excel user" <Troubled excel user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:72A7A81B-D589-4674-ADAB-75135C62C18E@microsoft.com...
>I have tried to create a chart with data that is in merged cells where I
>have
> put in a formula to calculate the average of 4 cells in the row above.
> When I
> create the chart, it recognizes all 4 of the merged cells. So the graph
> has 4
> spaces for the data for each number I am trying to plot. I just got 2007
> version and do not recall this problem at all in 2003 version

0
David
10/8/2009 4:53:27 PM
The online help should say in size 16 type:

DON'T USE MERGED CELLS

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

David Biddulph wrote:
> I'd be willing to guess that Excel 2003 would have behaved the same.
> Thank you for adding yet another example to the countless demonstrations
> (listed in the archives of these Excel newsgroups) of why merged cells
> should be avoided like the plague.
> We keep advising people, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot by
> using merged cells when there are usually much better alternatives (such as
> the alignment option to "Center across selection").
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "Troubled excel user" <Troubled excel user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:72A7A81B-D589-4674-ADAB-75135C62C18E@microsoft.com...
>> I have tried to create a chart with data that is in merged cells where I
>> have
>> put in a formula to calculate the average of 4 cells in the row above.
>> When I
>> create the chart, it recognizes all 4 of the merged cells. So the graph
>> has 4
>> spaces for the data for each number I am trying to plot. I just got 2007
>> version and do not recall this problem at all in 2003 version

0
jonNO1 (306)